Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!
So does that crafting guild mentioned in the OP still exist? If so, I'd be grateful for an invite. Your username is your tag, right? This is babby's first MMO, so... @thefloobyest

Edit: Got the Request. Thanks, Scyantific!

Mr. Carrier Pigeon fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Siets posted:

Not only does this game seem to be all of those things, I'm finding myself pulled into the story as well. I really like the voice acting (Michael Gambon as The Prophet :swoon:) and the story has me caring about the setting more than I thought I would. Even with being the ridiculous Star Wars fan that I am and Star Wars The Old Republic supposedly being all about ~The Story~ I just couldn't come to care about it in that game. Pleasantly surprised to say it's the opposite with ESO.

I was pleasantly surprised to see how drat lore-heavy this game is. I'm about to finish up the AD main quest and I've found a bunch of little sidequests that go pretty deep into Bosmer and Khajiit lore. I expected less from the game, honestly. VA is surprisingly good, too.

Siets posted:

Also I need a leveling buddy. :hfive:
Where you at? If you're AD I'll come do some stuff. Don't even care what level. Sometimes it's fun to just destroy a low level dungeon. Just PM me @thefloobyest.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Drama's gettin' thick in here, yo.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Scyantific posted:

Mercenary chapter droprate got nerfed by 75% because gently caress you that's why.

Is the Merc stuff worth it? I've seen some pretty good deals on chapters lately but I don't know if the armor/weapons are that good.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Scyantific posted:

Merc stuff is absolutely worth it. By far the best looking light (minus the hat) and heavy armor (COMBAT KILT) look in the game, IMO. Shields look fantastic, and the axes look dope as hell.

Neat. So far I've only used Medium armor but I figured a mag temp was in my future so I guess I should buy while it's cheap.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Man, this three minute (so far) loading screen sure does get me in the mood to do my daily writs.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

radiatinglines posted:

I really dig the style of the armor and the crisp shininess of the graphics in general in this game. It's a shame y'all didn't pick orcs / bretons / redguards, because that's clearly the coolest faction.

Dude, get with AD party. People talkin' about anal, art films and how bad tanking is while giving away free poo poo on the reg and being the nicest groupers I've seen.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

radiatinglines posted:

I'll make an argonian as soon as I come up with a name.
For reference, they're Ebonheart Pact. Bosmer, Altmer and Khajiit for AD.

Aramek posted:

Bad-With-Names.

Also this is great.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Raruna posted:

So far AD's story has been pretty sad for the elf queen, when you know what happens in the future and the prominence of the Thalmor within the Dominion :saddowns:

My bad on doublepost but this is sort-of true. It's like everything she tries to accomplish is undermined by assholes. And daedra worshippers. And fish elves. But it's kinda hilarious if you treat the KINMUNE thing as canon (lol) because then it's like the Heritance (who I imagine infiltrate the Thalmor in the future) shot themselves in the foot. "By the Eight, she's just what we needed! drat it all!"

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Sky Shadowing posted:

I actually thought the Vestige storyline (i.e. everything you do with The Prophet and crew) was pretty good by TES standards. The final quest, at least, was pretty drat cool and definitely felt more like an end than any TES since climbing Red Mountain to fight Dagoth Ur (or at least attack the Heart a few times).

By far the easiest 'traumatic choice' I've ever had to make in any game ever, though. 'Oh, who do I have to pick? A cool Nord girl, a cool Redguard, or the guy who caused this whole god drat mess in the first place AND is now super old? Yeah, let's go with Door 3 there, chief pretty drat cool Imperial. Final answer.'
Door 3 is the only choice. You hit it on the nose.

JackBadass posted:

I took door three as well, just because I didn't give a poo poo about any of them.
Though all 3 are pretty paper-thin, you know there's only one choice.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Scyantific posted:

If I wanted to roll with a three-raid, prox-nado spamming blob of bananas in Cyrodiil, I would have gone with AD.

Seriously, trying to fight any amount of AD outside of the Axe of Belzhara campaign (stomping on AD there is like clubbing baby seals really) goes like this:

-Take a resource
-Start sieging the keep
-Watch the yellow tidal wave rush out of the keep from every opening imaginable
-Fall back to our captured resource and try to bottleneck them into our killbox
-Watch as they completely overwhelm us with sheer numbers because for every 3 DPS, the have 2 healers spamming Breath of Life, Barrier, and Purge and insta-rezzing anyone who dies (Battle Resurrection + Templar passives + Kagrenac's 5pc) and because their mere presence of 60 people makes the game lag to a lovely 1998 era slideshow.

It's retarded poo poo like the above that makes me glad we're getting the Vicious Death set and caps to Barrier and Purge.

Gonna run Alchemist + Vicious Death with Prox Det/Soul Tether for maximum burst now and watch the hordes of yellow fall to friendly fire.

Haven't done any PvP stuff yet. If I'm gonna I'll roll a new character in EP and run with you guys. Or wait for the cross-faction stuff and use my main. I dunno. But group dungeons, trade, chat and general atmosphere are great if you wanna do that kinda stuff in AD.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Sky Shadowing posted:

Also, gently caress Nazi Elves on principal. :colbert:

Indeed. They do suck. Though the Nazi variety are the ones you fight against in AD. The Bosmer and Khajiit, however, are awesome and, along with Argonians, are the only not-poo poo races on Nirn. Well, maybe-kinda the Redguards, too.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

radiatinglines posted:

This game sure does crash a lot.

Really? It's always been super stable for me except for the last time they did server maintenance and everyone and their mother was doing dailies and turning in quests. What's your setup like? I think I remember you saying up thread that you had driver issues? There may be a quick ini fix or something. I've had to tweak some things but it runs great for me, generally.

Are you having fun with the game when it runs, at least?

And Berke Negri, I don't know what level you're at but I could craft you some stuff if you want. I can do 8/10 Clothing/Smithing/Wood with either 2 or 3 trait sets right now depending on gear. Hit me up @thefloobyest.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

radiatinglines posted:

Yeah the game is fun, but I get random crashes. Sometimes two hours into play, sometimes fifteen minutes. Usually it's right when I walk up to an NPC to initiate conversation, but I've had it crash in vendor menus and the character select screen as well.

drat. That's really weird. You've more than got the setup for it. Thinking of it, though, doesn't this game have a ram error? Like it'll say you're out of available memory even though you're nowhere near it? Might be worth checking into it. There's a line in the ini, SET LuaMemoryLimitMB, that might help, as well. Set it to 128 or 256 (over the base 64 which is lol). Might help since you said interface stuff was what caused your crashes. Good luck, man.

Scyantific posted:

You heard it here folks, using communication is basically cheating.

Zenimax gestapo get to work and ban all the console players.

Also lol at this. Talking with your group is cheating? I guess communicating basic strategy is game-breaking, then.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

radiatinglines posted:

Thanks, I'll try that out. I also found an official post saying that setting ESO.exe to Windows XP compatibility mode fixes the crash on the splash screen, and that worked.

XP compatibility mode? 32bit application only? Addons with multiple dependencies for other addons, and no vanilla addon settings sub menu? I feel like I've stepped through a portal to 2006.

Haha. Yeah. That's what you get with ZOS/Bethesda. But hey, sounds like you at least got things working better!

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Berke Negri posted:

Thank you, but I'm 8 traits on most items, just largely waiting on those month long research times for the rest since I took a break last summer. It's more the resource collection since I have no where near the time I did earlier in 2015 to play the game right now, but I appreciate it the offer!

Oh, drat. I saw upthread you might need some gear and thought you might have been a newer player. And yeah, research times are getting ridiculous for me, too. I just hit 5 trait on several items and those timers almost feel like a gently caress you to crafters.

radiatinglines posted:

I think this has solved my problem, because I I've played several hours now without a single crash. Thanks again.

Awesome! Hopefully that'll fix your issues and you can play problem free from now on. Glad I could help, dude.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

So, I'm curious about something. I'm doing, on average and depending on abilities used, about 3-5k DPS at VR4 with a Bow/Dual Wield DK. Purple weapons with +speed trait and flame enchant. Should I have better output than this? I still have a couple of passives to go on DW like Blade and Brunt but I feel like I should be doing better. Oh, and all my armor is +stam enchanted Night's Silence set. Where am I going wrong? Because I feel like stuff takes a long time to die.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Scyantific posted:

At VR 4 you should be doing on average, about 7-8k DPS. Granted this is probably with buffs and stuff like Rally which gives Major Brutality (+20% weapon damage). Once Thieves Guild goes live you'll have access to that buff via class skills. As a DK most of your damage is going to come from DOTs such as Twin Slashes, Poison Arrow, Volley, Flame Breath, and Embers.

Give us a shout ingame and ennuid or I will get you set up with a 5 piece Hunding's Rage set, which is the go-to for stam classes.

drat. Thought so. And yeah, I don't have anything at the moment for Major Brutality. And you're right that most of my output is DOT. I don't really have any attacks that are big dealers outside of Snipe or whatever the morph of it that I have is called. That can get me about 10k average over 2-3 shots. It sucks because I'd love to roll pledges with you guys but when I was doing that with ennuid the other day I just felt superfluous. Then again I do have a lot of CP to go and most of what I've spent so far has been on Mighty and Piercing whatever-it's-called so in time I'm sure those will give me a boost.

Anyway yeah, I'll hit you guys up cause I don't have enough traits to make an HR set yet.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Scyantific posted:

The Hidden Blade skill in Dual Wield gives you Major Brutality, but only for 10 seconds.

Really the main problem I see with Dual Wield is that it gives you no real damage abilities beyond Rapid Strikes and tends to be more focused on AoE with Steel Tornado which right now is the most powerful physical AoE in the game.

It's also a big reason why a lot of people are calling for more stamina options for class skils, since opting for a stamina build really limits you to one free bar (with 2H basically being mandatory for Rally, Wrecking Blow, and Executioner).

Forgot about that one. I have it slotted but don't use it as much because I tend to open combat with bow and then go to dw melee. I like Rapid Strikes due to the relatively short animation and pretty good output and combining it with Twin Slashes takes down stuff pretty quick.

And your drat right about class skills. My toon is a Bosmer so there's the racial stam bonuses that are pretty nice but all the DK stuff is mag based and that sucks because I literally have no AP in mag. Straight up 0/15/39. I just wanna be a super fast glass cannon and realize now that I probably should have rolled NB for that. Oh well, next time, I guess.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Welp, rolled a Dunmer stam (so far) NB DW/TH with abilities from both those and sword n' board. Medium armor of 2 pieces Death's Wind and 5 Night's Silence with dual swords and greatsword DWed for a 3-piece bonus. Weapons flame enchanted. So far, it's fun and doing 6-700 dps at lvl 4 is pretty good, too.

Edit: Haha yeah I got my glass canon build right. Doing 1.8k at lvl 10. This is fun.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 24, 2016

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Siets posted:

Where does set armor and flame weapon enchants come from? Playing as a super optimized lowbie sounds fun, but I still don't really get this game's auction/item system yet.

For the armor, there are 3 special crafting stations in each zone that have particular bonuses based on the amount of items you wear/equip. However, these require a certain amount of traits learned in a particular crafting skill for each item. For example, on the sets I mentioned above, 2 known traits are required FOR EACH PIECE in that set. That's the lowest trait requirement for special sets with the max being 9 trait. I could craft higher trait-required sets but I like those 2 trait sets as they fit the bonuses I want for my character.

As for the enchantments, there are 2 ways of going about that. The easiest is to go to an enchanter's shop in a city and buy the glyph you want. There are glyphs for armor, weapons and jewelry specifically. To enchant an item, select that item in your Inventory screen and select Options and the Enchant command will bring up a menu of available glyphs for the item you wish to enchant.

The other way is to use your Enchanting skill and make glyphs yourself out of runes found in the world much like wood or clothing fibers and ore. The rest is the same as the above.

And yeah, there is a learning curve to how items and all of their various possibilities and combinations work. I'm still working on that, too. Not sure what you mean about the auction system, though. Do you mean Guild traders and stuff?

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

drat those summons look like some of the best quality of life improvements possible in this game. Hope they're cheap. I also kinda want a battle camel. I mean, just think about that. Battle. Camel. Battle camel. Awesome.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Scyantific posted:

Hahahahaha, those loving assistants will cost no less than 2500 crowns. If Zenimax knows how to do one other thing than ban people, it's milk the poo poo out of their fanbase with this kind of stuff.

poo poo, you're probably right. But I gotta ask, dude... do you actively hate this game? Because your posts seem to indicate that you don't actually like it lol.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

I didn't think my post would cause that kind of response. Scy, it's cool. I do understand your complaints. Let it be said that I've never played any MMOs prior to ESO. The reason I jumped in was that I'm a TES fan and thought "Welp, it'll be a while before TES 6, and it's on sale, so why not?" That being said, I do have my own complaints about this game. It can be pretty punishing if you don't know EXACTLY what your build will be. Having played RPGs since I was the ripe old age of 7, I know the archetypes, classes, strategies, blah blah blah. What I've learned, though, is that some setups have MAJOR downfalls.

My main, a VR5 Bosmer DK, is worthless as anything other than a master crafter. Why? I screwed up her build. I tried to roll a character I played in Skyrim and it failed miserably. My new toon, a level 12 Dunmer NB, has already surpassed any potential my main has in combat because of how I set him up. I'm basically starting over from this point on.

That's only a small example. I'm sure that in your far longer-term experience (does that make sense?) you've encountered any number on irritating things.

I would try to write something more coherent but it's late and I'm tired. That being said, I'm pretty amped about the droprates I got on Dwemer stuff today. 3 Motifs in an hour. Hell yes.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

tgidieday posted:

There's more to DK than magicka. There are stamina morphs of breath and embers, and if you get some maelstrom one-handers, you can do that glass cannon build that's arguably the best dps in the game. It's resource-intensive, too, so losing raw stamina in exchange for Bosmer's regen is not a bad trade.

Lastly, if you're doing stamina nightblade, you're going to end up right where your DK is. Run magicka, or if that doesn't appeal to you, roll a (redguard) stamina sorcerer.

That's the thing, though. I tried to do a pure stam DK and it hasn't worked out too well. Main weapon skill is bow which is where I'm starting to see trouble. Even with pure stam and stam gear and food buffs she's only doing an average of 3-5k dps. So maybe I should respec and perk more into the actual DK abilities instead of pure weapon skills? At this point, screw it, I'll try anything.

On the other hand, my NB is doing 2.2k at lvl 14. Fights are over before they start. Took out a world boss solo in 13 seconds yesterday. Am I gonna start seeing diminished returns? He's 0/0/13 on attributes and focused primarily on Dual Wield skills mixed with some Assassination and once he hits 15 I plan on adding 2H for crowd-oriented damage. Granted, I have a lot of CP boosting his damage output. Like, 40-something points in Mighty and 20-something in Piercing. It's hilarious how powerful he is. But I'm guessing that's not gonna be the case for long based on what you said above.

drat, it's starting to look like the builds I want and the ones that actually work in this game are 2 very different things.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Raruna posted:

I feel that to make stam DK work they SERIOUSLY need to improve heavy attacks. Sweet gently caress, their windup is too huge for the damage they do and stam they regen. Considering the incoming buffs to Molten Weapons, I think we'll be a bit better. Being able to give everyone around you Major Brutality for 30s seems rad.

Scyantific posted:

The biggest, and I mean biggest problem with Stam-based DKs is the fact that in order to be effective, they have to spec into 2 different champion passives, since the two class stamina skills are all fire based and all weapon damage skills are physical.

Both of these are true. I wish there was a DK passive that was just a straight dam boost but nope, fire only. And, uhh, I haven't used any of those. Heavy attacks are too slow for what you get out of them. I can throw down 3 light in half the time, especially with the uber-slow bow. I mostly just use abilities, though, and swap to dual daggers once stuff closes in for melee. I dunno, swap stam to mag and perk into DK skills, neutering my weapon skills, or stick with it, or... gently caress.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

I like this. Thanks man. And yeah, what you said about having fun is EXACTLY my problem with my DK. Every fight at this point feels like a long, tedious chore. Sure, I have my bow set up to be as debuff as possible and that helps but it still takes forever to bring stuff down and my toon is way too squishy to deal with 5-on-1 close quarters stuff reliably. Anything past Stonefalls feels like a chore, really.

OTOH, my stamblade is a blast to play. I was legitimately laughing out loud when I was fighting that world boss. I just looked at my DPS, combat time, health and stam and thought "This can't be real. Seriously?" It was ridiculous.

I'm probably gonna try out your DK build and see what happens. Should I respec my mag and stam equally? Because I can tell I'm gonna need more mag than I have now

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

tgidieday posted:

Health until you're comfortable (probably zero), then everything else in stamina. If you want more mag (e.g. 3 casts of green dragon blood), switch to purple food. Also, I can dial up some gear for you later if you want.

Cool. I mastered Provisioning long ago so that'll be easy. What can you craft? I'm at 5-6 traits on everything now so unless it's Craglorn or IC level stuff I'd rather not waste your time.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

titties posted:

This game moves at a glacial pace. I'm thinking about wiping my character since I've spent a bunch of time messing around with all of the crafting types and my bank + inv are already crammed full with strawberries and corn starch and poo poo.

Would you experienced people say it is better to just stick with one or two crafting types and ignore the rest on a given character? Does it hurt anything to have gotten levels in all the crafting types?

E: same question with like, everything I guess. I should be in / want to use medium armor, but it took a day or two before I realized that medium armor is not just a combination of heavy and light armors (no idea why I thought it worked like that). I can't tell if armor / weapon skills only increase when you earn quest exp or if they are constantly improving with use like in the last 2 games.

It's your call on crafting. My advice, though, would be not to attempt to learn and max them all out on one toon. That's a lot of skill points that you could put into other areas.

As for armor, yes, using does increase your skill. I've had skill up notifications right in the middle of combat from taking a hit. As for the other part, what are you looking to get out of your armor? What skills in general are you trying to boost/support/make up for? Medium focuses on stam and stealth with some crit thrown in.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

JackBadass posted:

What else would you spend them on? Seriously, skill points are handed out like candy.

True, but I meant if he wanted to perk into multiple weapon or class skill lines. If you know from the start what you want then yeah, why not.

Berke Negri posted:

Yeah, the real stop gap with crafting across multiple characters is going to be time and bank space logistics. At the least I'd recommend at least one character having blacksmith/woodworking/clothier and do all the research on them so when you're putting together crafted sets you don't need to log and switch characters to make a staff.

This. My main is the 3 crafts and Provisioning, 2nd has Alchemy and Enchanting. My bank hates me and I hate it right back.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Raruna posted:

So... the game started not letting me log in randomly, claiming an error 200/180 or something. Forwarded all the specified ports and nothing :saddowns:

This seems to only happen with foreigners, from what I read, which is a huge downer.

So I went to check integrity of the cache for ESO and it said 752 files failed to verify and then made me re-download and re-install the entire game :catstare:

I've heard a lot of people complaining about issues with launching through Steam. Have you tried launching through the basic launcher to see what happens?

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

I've seen some great ones because for me they're always out of context. Like, I'll have a single line pop up in chat and none of the others that are related to it. But that's how it always gets weirdly hilarious or, perhaps, hilariously weird, YMMV. "'You don't have to be so gentle, I don't easily break' she whispered, hoping to ignite a greater passion" I double-took so hard I think I might need spine surgery.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Soulex posted:

I ended up getting this game thanks to the steam sale and have a sorcerer at level 15. It's fun, feels like wow but better. Couple of questions.

Dark Magic > Storm Caller for damage? I haven't leveled storm caller at all, just Daedraic and Dark Magic

Is it worth trying to craft new gear to level into or should I just go on RNG with drops and quests?

What is so special about becoming a vampire?

Is it better to focus on one profession or just do them all?

Can't speak to the sorc stuff or about vampires but I can tell you about the rest. If your crafting is low then yeah, there are some good drops to be had, especially the sets. If you're having trouble getting drops you can usually find pieces in Guild stores for pretty cheap. Or have someone craft you stuff. Goons will craft you stuff, just drop a line in chat.

As for the crafting skills, I'd say balance is key if you're only on your first toon. If you want to be viable in combat you probably can't afford to drop every skill point into a crafting skill until later in the game. To start off, focus on the skills that are relevant to your character build and move on from there when you're swimming in points later on.

Most of all, have fun!

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Man, I'm getting some really wonky audio with the 64 bit client. Like, I was walking down a road and all of a sudden I hear the sound of siege weaponry as if it's right next to me. And then a lizard made the sound a netch does. I don't even know what the hell.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Sogol posted:

Well, that's an exaggeration. It's mostly me watching, figuring out what is going to kill me by getting killed and you guys clearing the dungeon... But it is cross faction. I can tell because of the frequent crashes.

Here's a tip I learned while running pledges with ennu and pluto: DON'T stand in the red circle. No, blocking WILL NOT help. No, really, red circle bad.

Granted, this is only worthwhile advice if you're dumb enough to do it multiple times. Like me.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

64 bit client audio glitch update: Tonight, I was crafting some new armor for my alt. Standard fair, right? Except for one thing. You know the sound when you're creating a Blacksmithing item? The hammering sound? I got got pigs oinking instead.

What.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah, that went pretty well all things considered. It was fun.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Merrill Grinch posted:

I'm trying this out, could I get an guild invite for @merrillgrinch on the pc north america server?

ONE OF US ONE OF US

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

JackBadass posted:

Weren't we supposed to get all the level 1 provisioning writ recipes with Thieve's Guild? I didn't get squat. Is it not retroactive?

I think they made it so that all recipes needed for writs can be bought from a vendor. It's scaled to level, too, so you may need a toon with a lower Prov level to buy them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

JackBadass posted:

Let's leave the jokes to the funny people, huh?

You should stop posting, then.

• Locked thread