Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

This weeks Thumbs is probably my favourite in a good long while.

I guess I'm just a sucker for either Remo reminiscence or city-builder discussion... or maybe both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Jippa posted:

Loved the crate and crowbar this week. The normally unflappable Graham gushing over the possibilities of valve VR. Then Chris hilariously ranting about how hotline miami 2 is the worst in minute detail and ruining his life (despite loving the original).

Yeah, that combination of utter enrapturement in the wonders of VR followed by Hotline Miami 2 hate-loving was just delightful. This has been a very good week for gaming podcasts.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Song For The Deaf posted:

The new Watch Out for Fireballs! is out, and it's about Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/96

A depressing and delayed point about this episode:

The "Death from Above" chapter with the gunship that you guys both felt was a good commentary on the gamification of war and was a section of the game that actually handled the nature of modern conflict in a nuanced and interesting way? Well (apparently) the devs just thought that was cool as poo poo technology and a loving awesome set-piece, and whenever asked were always super shocked that people read all this 'thoughtful bullshit' into it.

It's understandable that you read the scene as you did, as that was the reaction from the wider gaming press as well, but the intentionality you ascribe simply isn't there. This was created as just another rad-awesome, ooh-rah, look-how-big-our-guns-are military wank-fest.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Jippa posted:

Ha ha yeah I remember that from the crate and crowbar, any one remember which episode? They straight up told them this at an event.

It's also been discussed on Giant Bomb and a few other places, but I'm pretty sure my memory of it is from the halcyon days of GFW Radio (RIP :( )

TetsuoTW posted:

I haven't actually listened to that episode yet, but authorial intention is, or at least can be, irrelevant to reading any text. Even a video game. Doesn't matter what they wanted it to look like, only what it looked like. Tommy Wiseau intended The Room to be a serious drama (until he realized everyone was laughing at it). Shakespeare's sonnets were intended to get his dick wet.

Oh, absolutely, and I would never say that Gary and Kole were wrong to take away what they did, or even that the scene isn't effective from the "war is a dehumanising hellscape which technology is gradually sanitising in a somehow even more horrific way" perspective.

It's just that they brought up the devs / writers several times, specifically addressing the contrasting ooh-rah vs boo-rah viewpoints, so I thought it worth mentioning that it was intended as all ooh-rah, no boo-rah.

Pasco fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Mar 27, 2015

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

So this WOFF Soundtrack Showdown idea is pretty neat.

Though some of the 'seeding' is pretty questionable, JSR should totally have gotten a bye into the next round!

Pasco fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 16, 2015

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

pseudorandom name posted:

Send them an email telling them to look at http://imgur.com/a/bqcla?gallery instead.

Yeah, I was kind of at a loss with them defending paid mods considering the kind of heinous poo poo that went on, but then the whole thing got shitcanned by Valave so :shrug:

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

The Vosgian Beast posted:

How many Abject Sufferings eventually devolve into a discussion of what it's like to gently caress mascot characters?

Not nearly enough.

They should make Rule 34 trawling a regular segment, right next to the GameFAQs message board dive.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Idle Thumbs, the place to go for your decade old Penny Arcade jokes:

(I still love you guys, just found it amusing how almost verbatim the 'cast was to that strip)

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Huh. I haven't played the Witcher 3 yet, but crafting in 2 was pretty important, so it'd be a shame if they got it wrong in the sequel.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

EC posted:

Yeah I've only listened to half of episode 0 but it's way better than the normal Bombcast already. It says something about how bad Dan and Jeff have gotten that I'd rather listen to Alex Navarro of all people (or maybe it says something about how great of a host Vinny is).

The Beastcast really has had a strong start, but I'm not sure it's about personnel, except in the abstract. The Beastcast still feels fresh, and it really feels like like everyone doing it wants to be there. The Bombcast feels like an old, tired, obligation.

The News segments are a particularly good compare and contrast. On the Beastcast Vinny managed to find 3 stories, which generated decent amounts of interesting conversation, while restricting himself to the letter F. On the Bombcast the news segment has turned into either a weary dirge, or Brad proclaiming there is simply no news this week.

Vinny is of course amazing, there's no doubting that.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Holy poo poo, this week's episode of Abject Suffering :allears:

"Tugging on a RoboCod" is going straight into my regular rotation. Gary, you're the best.

Edit: My phone apparently auto-corrects "Abject Suffering" to "abusive tweets", drat you GamerGate :argh:

Pasco fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jun 2, 2015

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Haruharuharuko posted:

Gary, Kole I have something to get off my chest. I've been listening for around a year and a half, hell you two are the reason I went back and finished Dark Souls, But I cannot for the life of me not see you two as the real life versions of these two.

If it's been said before I'll shut up but goddamnit it makes all the goofy stuff you two do all the funnier.

I didn't even realise I'd been doing this, but me too.

Haruharuharuko posted:

Gary is 21 in my mind.

Totally.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Stan Taylor posted:

Oh man, this weeks Crate & Crowbar discussion of Batman was wonderful. They've surpassed Thumbs (sorry Chris and Jake) as my favorite gamescast and more people ought to listen to them. So good.

Yeah, the Crate and Crowbar have been killing it.

I just wish they didn't broadcast from the far end of a tunnel full of dicks every week.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

He posts snippets of it to his Youtube channel occasionally and they've generally been funny / insightful, so those are worth dipping your toe into even if you don't have time for another full-fat podcast.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Freaksaus posted:

Don't they regularly use Skype when one of the group is in a remote location? Although I'm not sure how often it's been the case lately.

They also give a gently caress about editing to the point that it can be hard to tell they're not all in the same room (except when Zack talks over Riff like some kind of rear end in a top hat).

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

So The Crate and Crowbar have set up a Patreon.

I wouldn't normally promote in this way, but this is a really fantastic PC gaming focused podcast, and one of the best podcasts I listen too, held back only by stunningly low audio-quality.

Pasco fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 19, 2015

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Jippa posted:

I also thought the discussion on "tilting" was fascinating as well because every one knows that concept but I've never heard it given an actual name.

Beard Yawn posted:

It's a pretty common term in card games. I think I've heard it originated from tilting pinball tables, but I most closely associate it with Magic the Gathering and poker.

Mierenneuker posted:

It gets used in MOBAs frequently too, because people like to blame their teammates for everything when they really should have taken a break two losses ago.

A little late with this, but come on guys. 'Tilting' has been around for a very, very long time, even in it's most modern of usages.

Samopsa posted:

This is also a good video essay series on that topic, specifically why the bulk of gamergators are angry and abusive, while not attacking them for being clearly wrong (and it's basically a podcast with some supporting images).

This is really, really great, thanks for linking it!

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

I don't know why it's in this thread, but it's part of this interesting blog post from the creator of SteamSpy.

TLDR; Steam follows the same 80-20 rule as most other industries.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Jippa posted:

Great news. To be fair to them the last few episodes have been way better. I think it was their levels more than the actual equipment.

Yeah, I kept forgetting to pop-in here and mention that C&C is now actually listenable, as well as continuing to be the best PC gaming focussed podcast there is.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

101 posted:

I just wish they were all mic'd up rather than sitting around a table with one microphone

I think that's the eventual aim of the sweet, sweet Patreon dosh they're rolling in, but at least they're now making the best of their lovely setup rather than the worst.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Woffle posted:

TL:DR Hentai is loving gross. Stop it.

I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Bug Squash posted:

I'm in actual pain from laughing so hard at the Angel Quiz video from Abject Suffering. Just, wow, that was something special. Even the background details, like heaven's oil derricks, are stunning.

I'm Barack Obama, and I approve this message.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

pseudorandom name posted:

Yeah, that Polygon article they based that discussion off of was really misleading.

One of the only bad things about having Danielle as a host is the increased use of Polygon as a source for anything.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

Quiet is a bit of a lightning rod for misconceptions. Plenty of words and deeds to be ashamed of.

Nah, the way MGS:V handles Quiet is completely hosed and deserves all the opprobrium it's received.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

ElMaligno posted:

Which is a pity becasue in my mind Quiet is the second best buddy (DD is an adorable as gently caress wolf dog therefore always first). I was legit happy when I unlocked some sensible clothing for her, wish I could unlock some sensible camera angles for her :(

Totally, I would take Quiet on every mission if it wasn't for that damnably cute wolf dog :3:

Quiet is totally fine, the way Quiet is handled is a mess.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Gary: I would have gone with Atlas Plugged, though I also considered Atlas Tugged.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Fallout 3 is one of the better Bethesda games, I'd probably put it just behind Skyrim (which is a ways behind Morrowind, but what isn't), but it is pretty poor compared to the rest of the Fallout games, only saved from the bottom of the pile by the truly terrible Brotherhood of Steel and Fallout 4.

Fallout 3's Main Quest is garbage in every respect. The story is nonsensical, the characters range from unlikeable to palid blank slates of nothingness, and the tasks themselves (with the exception of Tranquility Lane) are largely rote and unmemorable.

Away from the Main Quest there are some entertaining attractions, some fairly inventive and unique sections of the world which have no cohesiveness as a whole, stuffed with enough in-your-face wackiness to placate the lol-random section of the population.

Fallout: New Vegas is to Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines as Fallout 3 is to Postal 2.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Ulta posted:

Austin Walker is my favorite new podcasting personality of 2015 (yes I know he has been podcasting for several years prior, but that was an actual play podcast). He's the anti Dan Rykert, but not in a hostile or canceling way, more of a ying and yang thing.

Yeah, Austin is my favourite thing to happen in 2015.

Lone Goat posted:

Is Idle Weekend not going to happen or did the Thumbs just stop announcing it until it actually starts?

Well, it's got a Twitter account and everything, so apparently Soon (Maybe).

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Different people have different opinions! That doesn't surprise me re: Fallout 4 in particular. Bethesda's open-world games are incredibly polarizing, which you can see in this very forum (where a bunch of people pre-ordered the deluxe ten thousand dollar edition without knowing a thing about the game and a bunch of other people posted 50 times a day in the thread about how bad it was before it even came out).

It doesn't require different people or different opinions for something to be considered the most disappointing game of the year and also the best game of the year.

MGSV falls right into that category for me, it is both my favourite game of the year by far and also the one I was the most disappointed by.

Fallout 4 is just trash though.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

SHODAN is System Shock. Why the gently caress would they get rid of her?

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Dr. Stab posted:

The part that you chopped off the top of my post explained that I was talking about replaying for high scores, not just beating the missions.

So you're saying that if you want to game the system to set everything up in just the right way to cheese a high score, that it's kind of awkward to do and takes some effort?

How is this a ding for TPP compared to PW in any way other than your weirdly anal edge case?

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

hngkong posted:

For your own sake, follow your own claims of getting off social media.

Yes, TB should absolutely follow his own advice.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

I have to take issue with the Kane & Lynch discussion on Idle Weekend, it was a bit of a disingenuous one-sided argument to paint them as misunderstood gems that no one liked just because the main guys are bad people and everyone wanted a generic power fantasy or whatever. There is such a thing as just believing they are genuinely bad, boring, lovely games without any redeeming qualities.

Yep, those games are just bad.

I have no problem if some people like them, but suggesting that anyone who doesn't like them only doesn't because of some spurious plot-related reasons is dumb.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Legacy of Kain was a great series, home to lots of interesting and inventive mechanics, with an involving plot that manages to weave and twist it's way largely successfully through a truly hilarious amount of time fuckery.

I would not want to go back and actually play the games now, but I have fond memories of the series and doubt it's poll success was meant to troll Gary and Kole in any way. It's just one of those series with a significant and under-served fan-base, nostalgic enough to try and live on through others.

Pasco fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 28, 2016

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Jippa posted:

It's sad seeing marsh leaving C & C he was very good. Also their latest episode name is fantastic. Also despite the name the czech sword fighting game sounds very interesting.

Yeah, I like Marsh.

On the plus side, Pip!

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Idle Thumbs really is at it's best with Chris, Jake, and Nick. The other hosts that have come and gone over the years are by no means terrible, but it's hard to touch the chemistry of those three.

Podcast News for the presumptively eventual 2016 version of the thread: The PC Gamer UK Podcast is back!

This was the good PC Gamer podcast, which previously morphed into the unaffiliated Crate and Crowbar after PC Gamer decided they were getting out of the podcast business. Tom Senior is still on board, with three new British dudes (including the excellent Andy Kelly), so I have high hopes.

The Crate and Crowbar will continue, though now with increased competition in the lucrative "British people talk about PC games" market, and hopefully the American version of The PC Gamer Podcast will stay dead and buried.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Cactus posted:

How come? Can Americans not talk about PC gaming as well as the british, or something? I find that hard to accept, being british and all self-depreciating and all that.

In this specific case, no, they could not.

The American version of the PC Gamer Podcast was notoriously insufferable.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Song For The Deaf posted:

We reveal it at the end of the Portal episode, which just came out today. Here's the entire upcoming slate:

* Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos
* Dungeons and Dragons: Shadow Over Mystara / Turtles in Time
* Oregon Trail / Typing of the Dead
* A full month of Fallout: New Vegas

Man. Warcraft 3.

Great game, but also the progenitor of World of Warcraft and DotA (among other things).

Easily one of the top 5 most important games of all time.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

C-Euro posted:

I wonder what that list looks like. I think Game Informer did an article like that years ago but it was 1) 25 games, and 2) before a lot of modern gaming trends like MOBAs, post-WoW MMOs and even the annualized military shooter. WoW might have been on that list though.

My comment was a little hyperbolic, because it's sort of an impossible question. Everything stands on the shoulders of giants.

To stick with WarCraft 3: We don't get that without WarCraft 1 and 2 (obviously), we don't get those without Dune 2, and we don't get that without Herzog Zwei and Populus, the latter of which we don't get without Lander / Virus / Zarch (which is a loving awesome and largely forgotten game), etc.

So which of those is the most important? Which one really birthed the LoMa genre, tower defence and the biggest MMO of all time?

Beyond that, those genres are important to gaming right now, but a decade ago FPS was king and a decade from now it'll be something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Opposing Farce posted:

I feel like the real question is, but do you play the MMOs?

The real question is: Do they watch the movies?

• Locked thread