Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
What types of zones make for the best office tower core found in big cities? I am finding a lot of office zone buildings are rather short even at level 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Are Cargo ports like the vacuum of all truck traffic? I got to 28k, plopped one down and NOTHING can handle the sheer amount of traffic that goes through it and prevent it from loving up all the local grids that are in the area.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Just got After Dark on the team sale and I am trying to figure out some of the new buildings and acquaint myself with some old systems.

I take this that CIMs pilling at bus stops is no bueno? I have increased the funding but it doesn't seem to help.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

zedprime posted:

I think that's fairly normal. Residential agents don't seem to do anything important in the economic sim so it's practically a good thing they are stuck in public transport purgatory, kept safely off the road.

Is there any place where I can find a detailed description of how the Residential agents work? The wiki is next to useless

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
The city skylines wiki States that metro station orientation counts in terms of whether cims use it or not. Does that mean if I have a T style layout, the cims at the bottom of the T will never use it to travel to the tip edges of the T.

This is very confusing if so, how would I get them to use it if ever?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Baronjutter posted:

I'm not 100% sure I understand the question, but does the station have sidewalk access? Is there a metro route stopping at the station? If yes, it will be used. Cims are happy to transfer between routes as well. I always try to make my metro systems allow anyone to transfer to any other line with only 1 transfer, people absolutely start one one line and transfer over to other lines to finish their trip.

This is the relevant section

quote:

The orientation of Metro stations matters. The Metro station must be oriented in the direction the citizens wish to go. For example: If you build an industrial district to the west of a residential district and you wish to connect them with a Metro line, both stations must be oriented east/west. If you place a station such that the station's tracks are north/south then it will be completely ignored, even if the tracks curve to connect to the two stations. If you find that nobody is using your metro system, take a look at the orientation of your stations and make sure they are pointed in roughly the direction that the intended passengers would like to go.

I have really found no other reference for this anywhere else but its in the wiki.

Theroetical example

Would someone from the south east corner of the system take that metro to get to the north east corner. What about SE corner to NW corner?

I really wish there was a tool where you could just click on a stop and see the trips that are emerging to and from that particular stop like SC4 had

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Hi, hopefully, a goon expert city planner can help me figure out a mechanic here for me. In this screenshot, it shows that there is a fuckton of eligible University students. But my University only ever maxes out at 800-1000 students. It has been at this level ever since I hit around 30k population. I am now close to 40k and the bar is now in the red yet the University is obviously not full. Is it a range issue? I have a subway stop right next to the University. If it is a range issue, its wierd then how the capacity is so high since it seems unlikely you can ever cram enough people in its range (road accessibility highlight) for its capacity to matter.

Have Parks, Green City, After Dark, Parks and Plaza DLC if it matters. Thanks!

edit: Also the wiki says the blue bar in RICO is actually a desire for leisure. I made a big stretch of "leisure" commercial buildings and the demand is still the same. Should I zone more? Or will parks (ploppable and customizable like zoos and city parks) satisfy this demand too? Googling also didn't help much with this one.

MikeC fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 16, 2023

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

DoubleNegative posted:

The blue RICO bar is definitely commercial, not just specifically leisure. Although it's worth keeping in mind that the RICO bar is slow to update, and changes take a little time to propagate out.

As for the university problem, it's reading to me like the bar is saying "hey in theory the city doesn't have the capacity to educate every university-eligible student," - which is true! You have theoretically 6,000 eligible cims, and only capacity for 4,500. But as you're seeing, it's not really an issue because enrollment is much, much lower. As for why enrollment is so low, according to a reddit post:

Grand Fromage posted:

How's your elementary and high school situation? The university bar shows everyone potentially able to go there, but if they haven't gone through the other schools they'll never actually attend.

If those are fine then I dunno. I think people will come from anywhere. The range that buildings show with the road highlight is the range where it provides land value/happiness benefits, buildings don't have a service range like SC4. At least I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

Thanks for the insights. My Elementary and High School coverage is very good, well within capacity on both and almost all neighborhoods are within range of one or both. I'll stop worrying about the bar in the red then. The OCD in me was getting annoyed by it. Sometimes I find myself building extra stuff just because I can't stand seeing some Office building sitting at level 2.999999999999~ so I just plaster the area till its all maxed out.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Grand Fromage posted:

They say they fixed death waves.

Googling said that as long as you don't zone too many residentials at once then this shouldn't be an issue anymore? I have been filling in Res very slowly and I haven't come across any issues yet at 45k

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Eric the Mauve posted:

Sure you can ignore it, mostly, but the opportunity cost is huge. Like, this is the stuff they're devoting time and energy to instead of actually simulating a city in the macro, because in their hearts they're not actually that interested in city management. Just transportation management, production chains, and emulating The Sims.

Not saying this is in any way a bad move on their part. Obviously the market for what they're doing is big and CS2 is going to puke money everywhere. Just a bit of a bummer to me personally that it's 2023 and I'm still battling it out with Simcity 4's mountains of jank to scratch the city building itch.

Just curious, I am mainly more in the 'casual city painter' crowd but can you elaborate on what Simcity 4 does better than CS1 / potentially CS2? From a casual's viewpoint (maybe with a bit of haze since I haven't played SC4 in almost a decade), SC4 felt like just making sure traffic didn't go boom and plopping services down to make buildings higher.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
I haven't closely followed but has the increase in scope wrt to the simulation aspect of CS2 causing problems from what people can tell from influencer access? IE is the "recommended specs" actually going to give decent performance?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Grand Fromage posted:

Also the requirements studios put out aren't necessarily accurate. Cyberpunk, for example, explicitly tells you it requires a 3090/4070 minimum to run with path tracing and I'm running it just fine over here on a 3060.

The recommended path tracing requirements for 1080p 30fps is what you listed, not the minimum. They don't actually have a minimum requirement other than warning you it is experimental. The point remains though that it is very strange for a game that doesn't use RT lightning to recommend a 3080 for merely a 1080p experience. The very best cards available for the market right only beat the 3080 by around 75% better than the 3080 suggesting that a 4k experience isn't even in reach.

What performance level recommended spits out is unknown right now but the huge gulf between the min and recommend specs is baffling. The 3080 is close to 2.5 to 3x the performance of the 970. So either someone just panicked and set a crazy high bar for what "recommended" means or the min specs are going to be unplayable.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Grand Fromage posted:

It's what the game says. :shrug:

Listed requirements and actual requirements being different has been a thing in PC gaming for as long as I can remember.

My bad. I was going off their PR slide where those cards were recommended. I never read the in game description.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

err posted:

anyone preordering from a specific site? looks like GMG has it for $41

Xbox PC gamepass has it on day 1 release, like a lot of paradox stuff lately.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

turn off the TV posted:

yea but you don't get the pre-order theme on gamepass. it's hosed up.

Are those things even worth it? It is an extra map and some car models.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Vahakyla posted:

I find it deeply hilarious that some goons will make their stand 43 American dollars, despite the game being something they've waited for. I don't really know what is being shown by this, or to who, by waiting to buy it but saying you buy it eventually. Like basic math tells me that if you spend the same money now or then, you get more value by having it earlier?

Buy the drat game. It'll run fine. And it'll look great going forward when your computers get better.

I have no doubts that CS2 will be good and fine but I hope all goons exercise their "gamer rights" and not pre-order or buy it before independent reviews based on the final build comes out.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Fabulousity posted:

The prerelease coverage for Simcity 2013 was pretty positive and then shock as release day came around and the whole thing exploded like the Hindenburg. The awe came in the following days as it became clear just how fundamentally broken and lovely the game was at its core even without all the always online bullshit. That was the last game I preordered.

Until now. Sorry guys, I just preordered this one and as a result have probably condemned it to utterly fail and dethrone the previous King poo poo of Turd Mountain: Simcity 2013.

:negative:

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Oof

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Ihmemies posted:

Why the games must have poop agents these days? Why isn’t a simulation on a level of sim city 2000 enough?

The issue isn't the simulation. The issue is the intense gpu load that no card currently on the market can handle.

Play on low settings.

https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Cities-Skylines-2-Spiel-74219/Tests/Release-Benchmarks-Performance-Tuning-Tipps-1431613/

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Grand Fromage posted:

There's a CS1 mod that doubles your framerate by fixing a very stupid choice? bug? in how the UI is rendered, so who knows what might be possible here.

The nature of the problem appears to be the game gobbling up VRAM making me think its a texture issue.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
While I maintain that no one should pre-order anything, I have come across a few videos that seem to indicate you might live even with below "recommended" settings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Gug8IxDaws

The good news is that the game appears highly customisable wrt graphics. The advanced options on display and the tweaks this guy in particular made on an 3060Ti makes me think you can and will be able to tweak settings so that you can run it at like 20-30 fps. Big thing I see is LoD seems to have a huge impact and people aren't turning off/down Ambient occlusion and shadow quality which in many games is a major driver for performance.

I personally am running a 5600X with a 3080 10GB model and will report on launch how it goes.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
FSR 1.0 upscaler appears to be in the game as well.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

turn off the TV posted:

am I insane or has nobody ever mentioned CS2 having RTGI and RT reflections because I feel like that maybe explains a lot of things

It isn't ray tracing. The settings you screen capped showing ray stepping refer to techniques like screenspace reflections as well (which is also can be very taxing). A lot of these options seem to have a straight up "off" setting as well. Might not be doom and gloom if you are willing to spend half an hour diving into settings.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

turn off the TV posted:

i have never seen GI denoisers talked about outside of the term referring to AI image reconstruction techniques used for ray tracing

e: "Half Resolution Denoiser," "Second Denoiser Pass" and "Denoiser Radius" are specifically settings for Unity's AI denoiser algorithm used with its ray traced global illumination implementation

I am not a programmer so I dunno what to tell you but when the cursor was highlighted on the setting, it clearly stated "Selects the quality of the screen space global illumination". As far as I understand it, that clearly means it isn't RTGI.

VVVVVV: I mean that better be loving day one patched.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Dr. Clockwork posted:

It's baffling to me that you can't toggle off weather to aid in performance.

Weather is tied into gameplay in a significant way.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/s/OQ4vUMu4qm

More evidence that this game can be decent given the right settings.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Grand Fromage posted:

B) Turn off dynamic resolution. Having it on does give you a few more FPS but it makes the game look like fried rear end and isn't worth it.

I sincerely hope DLSS and FSR 2 support is in the works.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Omnicarus posted:

Is this game good or bad?

Looks good if you have a beefy rig and want more of a city "sim" rather than a city painter.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

OddObserver posted:

I wonder if going for something low-poly and non-realistic would have worked better...

I think we already know the answer to that

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Antigravitas posted:

Having a poly/texture/draw call budget has been with us basically forever.

To me this is doubly curious since they were planning a console release all along so the targets were well known. Perhaps it is just inexperience because the team is tiny compared to other development houses?

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

its one dollar if you dont have gamepass!

I am sure I will regret being an early adopter of subscription gaming when Microsoft owns everything but PC gamepass has generated a ton of value for me.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Unpack faster please :negative:

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Also having difficulty understanding how the zones are laid out but I am just flowing with it. 1440p with a 3080 is doing just fine right now, around 60fps

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
For the love of Lowtax, I cannot figure out how to set up cargo terminals properly. The CS 2 versions seem to only have 1 way in and one way out and I can't get it so the trains don't block each other and despawn

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Tarnop posted:

the commercial areas full of level 5, 100% efficiency buildings are covered in Not Enough Customers icons

Not at 25k but yes, I have the same issue. Not sure if it is a player not understanding mechanic problem or game hosed up kinda problem.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Does anyone know if you need "internet" coverage over Industrial areas?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
This game desperately needs to bring back the "no zoning on this road" feature. Trying to get arterials built in an industrial area and not waste a mega fuckton of space is insanely difficult. I found a workaround where you can use 1 lane highways to block off the roadside, build your collectors, zone and then delete the blockers but this is annoying as gently caress.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

nielsm posted:

Another small feature that seems to be missing, or maybe has had its activation moved to something else, is flipping the direction of one-way roads. Or maybe it's no longer possible because of the more complex road-building with lanes splitting off etc?

barnold posted:

nah it is missing. the only way to change the direction is to delete the entire segment of road and then make sure you are putting it down in the direction you want it to go. it's super annoying

Use the replace road tool function. No need to delete. It will follow the exact path of the existing road.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

turn off the TV posted:

i think the game also tells you to zone more commercial than you need

I highly suspect that industrial demand is broken as well. I came across something on discord where a player was investigating the "not enough customer" bug and found that specialized industry generating raw materials spikes industrial demand since you have excess raw goods to process so your industry bar could be max'd out even if there are no workers.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
The education sim seems slightly borked. My elementary schools are packed with several thousand kids. The high school has like 100 kids in it. College meanwhile is nearing capacity. Maybe all Cims are in the Mensa class of IQ and can leap directly from K-8 straight into college calculus and physics classes.

edit: Also has anyone noticed you don't need to build garbage infrastructure? It mysteriously just vanishes. I see garbage trucks originating from neighbouring cities but I don't seem to be paying for it.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

buglord posted:

Can I agriculture my way out of requiring industry or will the demand for dirty industry always be there?

It is exceptionally space-inefficient from the test that I did. A very large farm, regardless of type, might employ 50 people using the same foot print that might fit 6 or 7 factories and warehouses which will employ 3 to 4 times that. Most farms also only employ Uneducated or Poorly educated Cims meaning educated cims (which even elementary school gets you) under employed. Other resource extractors do require education though. For example, oil extraction in my city suffers because I delayed building a college so about 1/4 of the jobs went unfilled.

edit: But it does look good. Arguably more "realistic" than a random cluster of heavy industry sitting off an interchange for no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
This game is so good it even simulates MAGA types.