Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

I am so happy that somebody is trying this again. The plot may be as anime as possible, but they put a lot of effort into fleshing out the characters, so that they were not the one dimensional stereotypes from the first game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Hopeford posted:

I may be recalling the game wrong because I don't agree with this at all. Unless you mean that the secondary characters you can recruit are now in cutscenes and stuff, which...yeah, true, but I dislike that because they took out permadeath to make it happen.

I mean the classmate scenes and missions, which the first game didn't have an equivalent to.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Senerio posted:

There are only two unit types that matter in this game, and none of our characters, bar Avan technically, are either of them.

Let me guess - one of them is fencer?

Because that class is pretty awesome.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

The Leon squad. Avan worships the ground Leon is buried under, so of course he would name it after him. Also, everybody else was in awe of him, so his name could boost morale.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

I hope a certain character's first scene is next, because one if the pages you put up has some info about him that is mostly a spoiler at this point.

And now that I look at it again, in the corner, it has another spoiler for a different event later on.

Namely calling the place Randy's evil lair and Avan's court of Inquiry.

BlazeEmblem fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 11, 2015

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Really? No Yakety Sax?

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Hey, remember this scene from the first update?

Hi Pete!

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh, I hate this mission. Although, I do have one funny story about it.

Baldren was running to my starter base, where my tank was hanging out. He proceeds to take down my tank with a single strike, so I am freaking out. I bring out Alexis to try to survive a hit from him, but I wasn't optimistic. He attacks... and Alexis drops to the ground and dodges. Baldren then proceeds to use all of his movement to run away from the base, and then uses another turn to run even further away. I actually managed to win that battle because of that.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

So is it at all possible to defeat the named commanders that are showing up now if you grinded a ton/cheated? I assume nothing significant happens but I'm wondering if the game will even let you hurt them.

Yep, I managed to kill Baldren here one time, with epic amounts of Flamethrower spam.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

i'm also pretty sure most artists are pervs.

when man first discovered charcoal could make images on a cave wall, they thought, now i can draw a titty whenever i want

And thus, Anime was born.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Keep in mind that although the game makes it look like it was just the next day, the months don't change until you clear the story mission for that month. It could have been a few weeks between the fight and his enrollment.

Edit: For the record, the rest of the class knows, so the administration likely knows about his rebel past as well.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

So now we have gotten the Alexis "twist" out of the way. I was surprised by this twist - not because I thought Alexis was male, she was clearly female; I was surprised that the game expected you to be surprised by this.

They do go to some lengths to hide this, though - Alexis is listed as male in your classmate records until this, and she uses the male class change salute even after her sex is revealed. Every other female does a little jumping bow.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Lotish posted:

Having not played this game or any of the others in the franchise, I do not understand the CP economy and so whether you beat a turn limit or not just seems to be arbitrary magic.

The turn limit is just how many turns you are allowed to use to still get an A rank in the mission. CP is just how many moves you can do in that turn.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

Remember what Cosette's room looked like earlier? That was a brief clue hinting at her colour blindness.

And remember when Aliasse kicked a soccer ball into Avan's head, he got blood on it, and Cosette had to sniff it just to figure out what it was? Didn't that make anyone suspicious?

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Tae posted:

Wait, now? Why now? That's weird. Usually it's at the start of the month.

There are no more classmates joining each month after Jamil. The rest are unlocked by doing things. I have no idea what you need to do to get Heinz, but he isn't unlocked by just progressing through the year.

The other three hidden characters are Sigrid, who you get by beating Reiner's mission, a character you unlock from finishing 10 classmate missions, and one who joins on a new game plus. They are different from bonus characters, in that they have classmate missions.

BlazeEmblem fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 27, 2015

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Night10194 posted:

Don't, uh, don't men and women serve pretty much equally in Gallia's army? Doesn't that defeat most of the point of Alexis's arc? I mean she's kinda cool compared to the whinging animes, don't get me wrong, but would the army really care if it knew she was a woman?

Yes, the army would know that she was a woman - she was raised like a boy, but all that did was cause her to not care about stereotypes. The only reason Avan didn't know she was female was because he never asked, not because she was hiding it.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Lotish posted:

It seems like every new character is a class you don't want.

Inghild can be made into a fencer. That is totally a class that you want.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

With Helmut, his racism is brought up during his classmate mission. He couldn't lose it here because you can do the mission after this fight, and he didn't lose it after his mission because him still being racist was part of the resolution.

No idea about Heinz, though.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Tae posted:

I have the next update ready, but I'm out of spoiler-free art so...I got nothing besides some thoughts.

-gently caress Engineers, they can't kill for poo poo and their inability to do anything with sandbgs/grass is terrible
-Buffs absolutely are worthless, nothing is worth spending CP and a deployment spot
-I'm going to use a cert cheat after this mission because the game expects me to have 3rd tier units at this point, and gently caress that poo poo. You all know how the grind is terrible, multiple times.
-I'm going to do short picture summaries of skits because they do give some character "depth," no matter how small.
-gently caress Engineers because half of them are annoying as poo poo in their quests, which makes getting to them triple painful

I can think of exactly one reason to use Engineers - one of the abilities in a third tier Engineer classs give Avan a really good potential. Other than that :shrug:.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

She sure changed into that getup quickly.

It's just extra equipment over her standard gear. She had the chance to put it on when we were fighting in the mission.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Tae posted:

I never truly thought even Dirk was ultimately scary because he gets beaten by Aliasse in her debut

Er, the V2s were easily beaten then, but I remember Dirk stopping Aliasse's attack, and her being surprised about it.

I think the reason Aliasse was shown off when you first fought V2s was that you were supposed to realize that

1) That blue fire that the V2s were shooting at you was related to Valkyrian fire, and
2) That even though they were scary when you fought them, actual Valkyria are even more scary.

Seeing that, you could realize that although you would be fighting more of the V2s in the future, it wouldn't be like fighting a bunch of Selvarias all the time, so you could survive them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

scissorman posted:

Are the skits time sensitive?
It would be absolutely amazing if you could get them after Juliana died.
Either way though, they messed up by placing actually important development in the random events, especially since most of them are superfluous fluff.
Of course the swimsuit scene is mandatory instead.
Yes, they are based on the month.

• Locked thread