Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
So the Governor of Arkansas just announced that he won't sign his state's RFRA bill as-is, and wants it amended to be closer to the federal version of the law:

quote:

“How do we as a state communicate to the world that we are respectful of a diverse workplace?” he asked. “We want to be known as a state that does not discriminate.”

He continued, “It has divided families and there is clearly a generational gap on this issue. My son Seth asked me, the governor, to veto this bill.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

ReidRansom posted:

I can't feel a shred of sympathy for Pence. He was warned about all of this beforehand by these institutions and the business community and legal experts and he purposefully chose to go ahead with it all in spite of that to appease the religious fringe. gently caress him and I hope all these organizations decide to not return to Indiana as long as he's governor.

I don't know why anyone would feel sympathy for Pence here. He signed the bill knowing full well that it would legitimize anti-gay discrimination, and then repeatedly lied about the bill when trying to defend it.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

gently caress you Tom Cotton. gently caress you and the letter you wrote to Iran, and the letter you wrote to the UN saying that Obama cannot negotiate Climate treaties.

loving Christ, this guy is to Iran what Giuliani is to 9/11.

"So, Senator Cotton, what is your opinion on this RFRA bill?"

"Well, in Iran..."

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

Neocon heads exploding.

Over the Iran deal? Nah, they'll just say it's not good enough.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mr Interweb posted:

So this guy seems to think Kansas' trickle-down policies have been an indisputable success:

http://news.investors.com/ibd-editorials/033115-745978-kansas-job-creating-machine-shows-that-tax-cuts-work.htm

Worth mentioning is what was not mentioned: any talk about the magic of tax cuts increasing revenues.

So in other words, deficit spending can lead to economic growth? Nice to see that conservatives are finally getting on board with what liberals have been saying for decades. :v:

A Winner is Jew posted:

Isn't this the rag that Ramirez does cartoons for, or was that Branco?

Ramirez, yes.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mauser posted:

Do the Republicans have anyone with any credibility in foreign relations?

Scott Walker posted:

If I can take on 100,000 protesters, I can do the same across the world.

:colbert:

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

I'm just amazed Cotton managed to answer an entire question without bringing up Iran.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

Quote of the night, "In our generation, there is no shortage of modern-day Pharaohs who seek to destroy freedom-loving people everywhere. But by standing together, we will prevail." ~ Ted Cruz.

Hmmmmmmm, who could he mean? :iiam:

So Cruz is straight-up comparing himself to Moses now? Talk about ego.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Quote of the afternoon - "Rand Paul has been mugged by reality, and he’s adjusting a bit — but only a bit. From my point of view, he’s not really come to grips with the world as it is.” ~Bill Kristol

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

In which Mike Huckabee suggests decapitating ISIS with a hoe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FwCejK2XBU

As with everything else the GOP does nowadays, this is just a pale attempt at imitating Reagan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpwdcmjBgNA

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, the Supreme Court's the main reason I would vote for Hillary without hesitation, too. Plus, all of the Republican candidates have disqualified themselves in my eyes with their responses to the RFRA and Obama's Iran deal.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

comes along bort posted:

His first big time interview back during the 2010 race he failed libertarianism 101 by falling for the old civil rights act gambit. Dude's never been able to recover.

How did he "fall for" it? Is there a "correct" libertarian answer to the civil rights act question?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Are you trying to say that Rand Paul is Joffrey? Because the more I think about it the more it works.

No, because Joffrey actually got to sit on the throne.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

The real question I want to see asked of Paul, what is his favorite house on Game of Thrones?

I could see him being a fan of House Greyjoy - they're all about personal achievement (the iron price), and they're constantly rebelling against Big Government.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

Markup on the Iran agreement bill in the Senate Foreign Relations Committee will be at 2:15 today. Senator Corker says they have a bipartisan agreement on moving the bill.

I can't believe there are Democrats that are actually going along with this farce. "Yeah, let's cave to the Republicans on foreign policy, when has that ever backfired horribly for us?"

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

quote:

This isn't the only Republican effort to overturn the FCC's net neutrality rules. Another, titled the "Internet Freedom Act," would wipe out the new net neutrality regime.

Oh, those Republicans and their bill names. :allears:

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

LCR is almost 40 years old and despite the shouting bigot minority the Republican party is becoming more gay friendly not less.

Every major Republican presidential candidate came out in support of Indiana's RFRA law, which would have allowed businesses to discriminate against gay customers.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

Quote of the night, “There’s nothing more honorable than serving one’s country and there’s no greater heroes to our country than our military, but I might suggest to parents, I’d wait a couple of years until we get a new commander-in-chief that will once again believe ‘one nation under god’ and believe that people of faith should be a vital part of the process of not only governing this country, but defending this country.” ~ Mike Huckabee

"But after we're elected, yeah, definitely sign your kids up for the military, cuz we're gonna need all the soldiers we can get for the wars we've got planned."

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I know it's still early yet, but Hillary needs to start releasing some policy positions. She doesn't have an issues page up on her website yet and she has started her "listening tour." It will be interesting to see where she ends up, especially on foreign policy, once it all gets started. I think a lot of the domestic stuff will surprise people who have a bad taste from her third-way history in the 90's and early 2000's. She has hired a lot of great progressive advisers and all Presidents tend to follow their party and the 2016 Democratic party is going to be more liberal than the 1992-2005 Democratic party.

I think Hillary actually has less than 10 declared policy positions right now.

1) 4 weeks of national paid maternity leave for full-time employees.
2) Pro-Cuba normalization.
3) Pro-Iran negotiations.
4) Supports universal Kindergarten.
5) Supports national gay marriage; not a state issue.
6) Supports constitutional amendment to overturn Citizens United (nice gesture, but going nowhere)
7) Raise the minimum wage to $12 an hour.
8) Raise capital gains tax by 5%

Some of the stuff is going to be obvious, pro-choice and all that, but aren't officially a part of her campaign yet. However, issues like the TPP treaty, which she said she would only support if "it helps American businesses and workers" hasn't been spelled out yet and that phrasing could mean anything.

There are 18 1/2 months to go until the election; I'm sure we'll get a full slate of policy positions from Hillary between now and then.

my bony fealty posted:

The more curious thing, to me, is how Reagan has been raised to demi-God status by conservatives after his Presidency; it remains to be seen if the same will happen with Obama in 15 years (it probably will not?).

I suspect that Obama will be remembered relatively fondly by Dems - similar to Bill Clinton, but without his personal scandals.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Man, POLITICO's starting to get a little desperate in finding ways to sneer at Hillary:

Come on, guys. You gotta pace yourselves.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm a little more weirded out by this argument:

Rand Paul posted:

One day Israel should be independent, and Israel will have stronger national defense when they are completely independent because we force them to buy U.S.-made manufacturers for military equipment.

I'm not entirely sure what Rand's trying to say here. Is he suggesting that U.S.-made military equipment is crap? :shrug:

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Shageletic posted:

Non-Joemomentum quote of the day

Obama: secret ADTRW poster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
GOP budget slashes funding to urban renewal programs while jacking up defense spending

quote:

With Baltimore’s troubles as a backdrop, House Republicans are proposing new cuts from urban programs this week even as their budget would add tens of billions of dollars for the Pentagon to get around strict spending caps.

Caught most in the middle is a $55.3 billion housing and transportation measure that is fast becoming the new ground zero in the appropriations wars this summer and a symbol of Washington’s retreat from public investments in poor urban neighborhoods like Baltimore’s.

The 156-page bill demands real cuts from a cross-section of urban programs in order to meet statutory spending targets. But just hours after it advanced Wednesday morning in the House Appropriations Committee, the GOP announced its new 2016 budget agreement, which adds an extra $38 billion for defense by going around the very same caps that had earlier forced reductions in aid to cities.

Most simply, Republicans are proposing two sets of rules, one for defense and the other for domestic appropriations. And the resulting cuts resonate more now given the proximity of the crisis down the road in Baltimore.

• Locked thread