Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
As a new (four months or so, a week or two with a real tablet) Android user, my biggest lesson learned is this: if I like it on iOS, I check Google Play or the Amazon App Store because it's probably there too.

Been playing PAD, Pocket Mine 2, 0h h1 / 0h n0, Highrise Heroes, Pixel Defenders Puzzle, CC Soda Saga, Hearthstone, the Sorcery! games, Goat Simulator lately, debating about a season or two of Pinball Arcade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
My Red Samurai controller arrived, with mixed results. In Keyboard mode, it seems to work well enough in Retroarch after setting up custom controller binds, though the analog works in GTA:SA but the buttons cause randomness. In Gamepad mode I can't seem to get it to connect to my Nexus 7 at all. Maybe it was never designed with Lollipop in mind.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I really want to like One Finger Death Punch. I do like it but boy is it hungry for IAPs.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Aredna posted:

How is Pocket Planes different/better/worse than Pocket Trains?

OH GOD THEY'RE ON ANDROID TOO. THE ADDICTION BEGINS AGAIN

Len posted:

At least they don't show things my device can't play. I have an old iPod touch 4 and looking for apps on the appstore is awful. Apple just shows everything whether I can play it or not.

Feeling THAT. I have an iTouch 4 as well, and if a new app doesn't require iOS 7 or a iPhone 5+ these days, it loads halfway and then crashes.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Is this really just Tiny Tower, but with trains?

Nah. Planes and Trains are similar to Tiny Tower in that they have timer-based elements and no "endgame", but they have a lot more depth. Instead of building shops and waiting for customers, you're actively hauling things (passengers or cargo) from A to B. Each has a map that grows increasingly large as you buy territories, vehicle variety (generics, high-capacity, high-range), bonus events, and an emphasis on hub-based route planning. I beta-tested Trains on iOS and played the living poo poo out of it.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Google Opinion Surveys bought me Ridiculous Fishing this weekend. THIS poo poo REALLY WORKS!

...Still beating up One Finger Death Punch without resorting to IAPs. It's a grind, but the core engine is fun enough that it's not an unbearable grind. Anyone care to recommend any of the S-class skills in particular before I cough up the 300K silver?

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
One more on the Hunger Quest bandwagon, though I won't post my code 'cause I'm already full up just from entering ones from the thread.

What are rainbow chips used for apart from pouch expansion?

The energy thing is annoying until one follows the following steps: 1) Load up on allies 2) Enter a dungeon from the beginning 3) Dive and collect coffins for energy

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Hunger Quest trip report: Dark mages are ASSHOLES.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Hunger Quest: Is there something I have to do to unlock areas past Area 3 - Mechabastille, or are they just not available yet? I'm well into the endless Mechabastille and there's no sign of story progression past that.

A sad note: I went looking to see what the Brian Blessed Alarm Clock cost these days and it appears to be gone from Google Play.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Cryohazard posted:

Gems of War is really a rather good game.

1) There's no energy system. Gold is energy, energy is gold, and before long you earn gold faster than you can play. It's a non-factor.

5) Being in a guild gives you tons of free poo poo- invest your gold in guild quests to get rewards like treasure maps and keys. If everyone is pitching in, you end up with returns that make your investment seem trivial.

1) Is there a make-gold-fast mechanism other than "be in a guild that gets poo poo done?" I'm not doing badly so far (day 2, four kingdoms open, cleared some challenges, ran Treasure Hunt a few times and did okay, daily bonuses) but I want to make sure I'm not missing something obvious. PvP is understandably risky, and quest-complete bonuses aren't going up appreciably.

5) The guild system seems... odd, as I couldn't find a way to search for the usual goon codewords and it just threw a random set of 10 at me at a time.

(Just left my first guild, which had like 11 people in it and I was already one of the higher level players. Found another one with 22/30 and They Appear To Get poo poo Done.)

EDIT: Tried it on my phone (Galaxy Nexus) and it crashes after the tutorial on name entry.

delfin fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 27, 2015

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

delfin posted:

1) Is there a make-gold-fast mechanism other than "be in a guild that gets poo poo done?" I'm not doing badly so far (day 2, four kingdoms open, cleared some challenges, ran Treasure Hunt a few times and did okay, daily bonuses) but I want to make sure I'm not missing something obvious. PvP is understandably risky, and quest-complete bonuses aren't going up appreciably.

Gonna ask this again because, well, I'm pretty much out. Kingdom opening costs keep going up, TH maps are fairly rare and mostly luck unless there's some ubercascade build no one's speaking of, and I'm sitting here waiting for my daily bonus. I had to PvP a couple of times to get enough gold to open my next kingdom and have enough gold to quest there once or twice. I thought about cheesing with Tyra to earn gold, but that's not very workable as you can't repeat easy levels and she's pretty fragile.

On the plus side, the game is pretty easy so far. I've only lost twice, once in story mode against a boss and once in PvP against a rather clever build that used a boss card (Webspinner) and support cards to basically turn half the board green over and over and chain cast some Venom spell.

Also amused that story mode starts you off with someone vaguely noble (Luther) and then lets you play janitor for a procession of horribly broken people. So far, I've met Sparkgrinder the extremely mad dwarf golembuilder, Atlanta the runaway ship captain, Rowanne the dryad who's dooming her whole forest, Tyri the self-absorbed thief, Elwyn the tone-deaf bard, and Ferit. Oh god Ferit. "Hi, I hate slavers and I have amnesia. Let's kill all the slavers who all seem to know me. Oh, I was a slaver. Oh, I helped snuff slaves to feed a ritual to bring back a Great Old One. Let's stop that ritual. Okay, now let's DO the ritual because I want to look at the Great Old One and become insane again."

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I tried out PvP in earnest today and shot up to Champion in a hurry. If you don't attack obvious heavy hitters it's pretty easy, as going first in every fight and not having the CPU's AI are big advantages.

Resource: The official site has a list of all troops with rarity, skill and upgrade info.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

gromdul posted:

Gems of War chat:

Arena is fun, and the rewards are pretty great. I went 8-0 on my first draft, which pays out 1500g (net gain of 500), 400 souls, and a couple of keys. This is by far the fastest way to gain souls that I have found so far besides the Treasure Hunt. Assuming you can win, which is pretty easy since the AI makes bad, or at least predictable, choices.

Hello, Mode I Will Be Playing Almost Exclusively For The Rest Of This Game. Three-card Sealed Deck that gives you enough Souls to actually level anything worthwhile? Yes please. It's also a great training mode to learn what's good and bad about common cards.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Gems of War trip report:

That bear that's on special this week? If you can get the bear... get the bear. The bear is fun. At level 10 it's easy to get him to hit for 14-16.

Everything said previously appears true. PvP is pretty easy -- going first and not having derpy AI makes lots of enemy teams much less fearsome -- and it's a great way to get enough gold to open new areas and to afford the Arena to level your guys to have an easier time getting gold in PvP and so on. Getting your PvP rank up high also gets you Glory daily -- which will help you get the bear.

Some fun Arena units to watch for are Satyr (Ambush hits the last enemy for 8 and gives another turn), Boar Rider (kill a row to set up skulls or another combo, take another turn), and Rock Worm (spamming Burrow is risky but fun).

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

vulturesrow posted:

Any more general tips for Gems of War besides what has been posted already? I'm especially bad at PvP. :( Best card I've pulled is revenant which kind of blocks my main character. I also have Luther but he doesn't seem that great to me. Also is there room in the goon guild?

Some common/rare cards to consider using:
* Anything that has "Take another turn" on its active skill. Boar Rider, Goblin Shaman, Goblin, Satyr, Hobgoblin, Skeleton, War Sphinx all do this.
* Board control. You want cards that can change orbs from one color to another or kill a row so that you can set up easy 4-matches or skull matches. Alchemist, Banshee, Templar are the cheaper transformers; Centaur Scout and Boar Rider kill rows (Boar Rider thus being really good to have around.) Alternatively, removing orbs of a color can also be useful in the same way; Pegasus, Glade Warden, Night Terror, Skeleton, Revenant, Reaver, Star Gazer, Vampire Lord, Warlock are the cheaper ones.
* The random factor. There are several units that create orbs of a specific color (or skulls). These can be really great when you get good drops and they chain into extra turns that let you do it again; they can be horrible if they set up big clears for the opponent. Rock Worm is the most common example -- Burrow does damage and creates Brown orbs that you hope will refill Rock Worm's tank to do Burrow again and so on. Goblin Shaman, Valkyrie, Acolyte, Deep Borer, Dryad, Griffon Knight, Pegasus, Siren, Serpent, Skeleton, Wight are the cheaper ones; some of them do damage too.
* Other commons that you may have lying around; Golem's ability can whittle down armor quickly, though it's not very useful when they're down to hearts. Pride Hunter does damage and locks down the first enemy's skill, which can be useful if they're about to zap you with something.

There are a bunch of other synergies to consider but the above should help you get off the ground. Once you have enough gold to open new areas and explore there, do it; the end boss of each area unlocks an Epic, some of which are pretty good. Raven in Mist of Scales is quite good. Build a coherent team to PvP, use that gold to try Arena, use those souls to boost your main team to high levels, repeat.

Also: Do not spend big money (or any, really) on gems for Magic Keys. They're not worth it. They give a guaranteed ultra rare (which is nice, but they drop infrequently from regular keys as well and those are much more common) and, as noted, the UR may be something decent or it may be crappy. You get increased chances of Epic and Legendary -- but frankly, since the campaigns give you one of each Epic for free, getting an Epic from gems is not a very good thing. I've gotten three Legendaries so far from regular keys, though they're understandably quite rare from those.

delfin fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 6, 2015

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

gromdul posted:

I invaded a player who had a dragon legendary that created 8 red gems, then turned all red gems into skulls. It only went off once, but the resulting skull matches killed two of my troops.

Where are you finding the information on mana cost for abilities?

Similar to Luther is the alcoholic guy, Lem the Lucky, perhaps? He has "Cheers" which grants a random +5 skill to the other troops on the team. +5 Magic is nice.

Character cards with their info are here.

Of the Epics you can acquire via clearing map locations, I'd rank them roughly like this:

Best tier:
Atlanta - 13 Purple/Yellow, 6 damage to all foes when maxed, 9 base damage. I'd take that over some Legendaries.
Raven - 10 Red/Blue, 10 damage to a foe when maxed, regen 9 of that mana if it kills, 8 base damage. A nice unit for cleanup work.
Keghammer - 12 Brown/Yellow, 10 damage and drain 3 Magic to a foe when maxed, 8 base damage. Good for neutering some annoying enemy skills and doing substantial damage.
Lady Sapphira - 13 Brown/Yellow, 6 True Damage and gain 4 Life / 2 Attack when maxed, 8 base damage. True Damage bypasses armor and thus has obvious uses, and once she hits her skill once she's got great melee damage.
Tau - 11 Blue/Yellow, (5 + Red Gems) Attack to self when maxed, 8 base damage. Revenant too fragile? Try this guy.
Tyri - 8 Green/Purple, Remove all gems of a selected color, gain (10 + Gems/3) gold when maxed, 10 base damage. Great base damage, a cheap skill, and never mind the gold -- "kill any color I want" can set up creative combos when used properly. On the fragile side though.

Good but niche:
Avina - 13 Red/Purple, 11 damage to a foe when maxed and gain 1 soul, 8 base damage. Pretty good directable spike damage, but the soul thing is negligible.
Scarlett - 14 Red/Green, 10 damage to a foe when maxed, double if foe is a beast, 7 base damage. Fighting beasts? She's a killer. But which units count as beasts? Against others, still a good spike but an expensive one.
Luther - 13 Blue/Brown, 5 Attack to all allies when maxed, 7 base damage. The attack boost is nice, but the drawback is that only one unit attacks via skulls at a time so the bonus is just sitting there on the other three until someone dies.
Alastair - 14 Blue/Purple, (5 + Purple Gems/4) Armor to all allies when maxed, 8 base damage. Lets everyone absorb an extra hit from most foes, and there are certain units (Paladin coming immediately to mind) that benefit greatly from that.
Rowanne - 12 Blue/Green, (7 + Armor) damage spread randomly when maxed, 8 base damage. Damage revolves around her Armor stat; keep it high or boost it with Alastair / Templar and she can be brutal. Take an early hit and she's gimped.
Ferit - 10 Purple/Brown, 9 damage and mana drain to the last foe when maxed, 9 base damage. Good melee, useful skill, but the "last foe" clause means half the time you'll be wishing he was hitting someone different.

Mediocre:
Brian the Lucky - 12 Green/Brown, 5 (random attribute) to all allies when maxed, 6 base damage. The key word is "random."
Sparkgrinder - 12 Red/Yellow, 5 Attack and 5 Armor to one ally when maxed, 6 base damage. A nice boost, though obviously more narrow than Luther's.
Elwyn - 12 Green/Yellow, destroy a row and column, do 1 damage per yellow gem destroyed to a random enemy, 7 base damage. He has no Magic boosts at all. If the board is full of yellow he MIGHT do more than a handful of damage. Killing a row is always good but I need to check whether his Destroy gives mana or not.
Emperina - 14 Red/Brown, give ally 3 Life + 3 Attack + Cleanse + Heal when maxed, 7 base damage. Useful if you have some huge unit you need to keep on the board at all costs.
Finley - 12 Red/Green, change all skulls to selected color, gain 7 gold when maxed, 6 base damage. Maybe useful for getting out of a pinch or setting up an occasional combo.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Cryohazard posted:

Finley is better than you give him credit for. He removes skulls and replaces them with whatever colour you want, so he not only neuters buff teams but is an easy 4th man for any wombo combo, plus his red/green type has potentially nothing to do with the colour you want him to propagate.

For example, Lich and Finley cover red/green/blue/purple, and combined can spam brown gems everywhere, charging Golgotha's Doomstones (brown/yellow) super fast, clearing the board and recharging them... There's also a killer yellow combo that I can't remember right now.

By contrast, Tyri's skill is much weaker offensively because it only eliminates a mana type from the board instead of converting it. You're not stacking the board in your favour, just slightly annoying the enemy team. Not to mention the fact she's made of tissue paper and wishes...

Point taken on Finley -- I'll have to experiment with him more. Tyri hits like a truck, though -- my top Legendaries have 10 attack like hers, and she has the shortest charge time of all the Epics so she can make easy combos more often. I'm not trying to stack the board so much as I am trying to drop out n pieces and have 4s and 5s and skulls fall into place.

One nice thing about this game is that there isn't a clear best strategy. I've seen creative builds revolving around poison, around stacking armor, around creating skulls, around denying skulls, around color changes feeding a specific unit, around balanced attacks and around buffing one unit to the moon.

My current PvP team is Kerberos (Brown/Purple, hits like truck, active hits like truck and has 25% chance of instakill), Druid (Green/Blue, nice spread-out damage), Barbearius (Red/Green, JUST LOOK AT HIM HE'S A BEAR WITH A HUGE loving CLUB) and either Moloch (Red/Yellow, True Damage + drain mana), Cockatrice (Brown/Yellow, drain mana, entangle, gets the Woods bonus like my other three on that banner) or Atlanta (Purple/Yellow, cleanup work), but I have a handful of teams in progress. Arena is good practice for trying out and being the recipient of different strategies.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

gromdul posted:

So you stopped using your hero? Or do you rotate between three different troops?

For now, yes, I stopped using him in PvP. My three main hitters leave yellow as the only untouched color, yellow is my weakest suit in terms of weapons, and Moloch is a better yellow unit than what I can equip my hero with.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

gromdul posted:

Its a lot of fun, controlled board disruption. War Sphinx is amazing. Alchemist is great board clear and feeds the Centaur Scout. Scout sets up 4-matches. My damage comes from skulls and Order and Chaos.

My last arena crashed (again) when I was picking, so I got stuck with a Musketeer, Lamia, and Siren. Siren can just go off like the butt-biting worm. But just like the worm it can destroy you. Lamia is the loving worst. It's completely useless if there aren't any adjacent enemies, unless you want to skip a turn! Which I could have done once when the only match available created a skull-match for my opponent. Musketeer is an under-powered piece of crap, never use him.

War Sphinx is pretty okay but does need support. I've had times where I've picked him and twiddled the board over and over but died because my other three weren't doing enough damage. Alchemist is beautiful for Centaur Scout or any other yellow-heavy build. Siren I like, but note that if you hit a two-color enemy with her, it can pick either color for creating gems. Lamia, well, she's a piece of poo poo except when the other guy's just pumped someone to the moon with Vengeance or Blessing. :black101:

I tried out Finley a bit more and came up with a Complete rear end in a top hat team using him:
Jarl Firemantle (Red/Brown, creates 9 Red and 9 Yellow gems and does 7 damage)
Finley (Red/Green, convert skulls to color)
Banshee (Purple/Yellow, 6 damage and boost with Blue -> Red convert)
Druid (Green/Blue, 8 damage + 1 splash damage twice)

The random factor in Jarl's skill is dangerous at times -- sometimes it'll set up juicy 5-matches for the opponent. But most of the time once this gets rolling, I can use Banshee to set up Jarl and then chain-kill poo poo with Jarl's skill, with Finley there when Jarl doesn't fully recharge to convert skulls to power up either Banshee (to power up Jarl) or Jarl directly.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

AlexJade posted:

As someone still building teams up in Gems of War, is there something better than running the arena for collecting cards? Should I be invading more?

The Arena is a decent source of regular keys if you can run the table consistently. Ignore the "buy your team" prompt at the end because it's a ridiculous number of gems. The guild task that gives six keys is also a lucrative source. Magic keys are an option for your gems -- a guaranteed Ultra Rare can be decent, though drawing an Epic from one is a disappointment -- but I'm switching to saving mine for a costume as I've gotten one Legendary from a double handful of Magics. High end cards come when they come.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

AlexJade posted:

As someone still building teams up in Gems of War, is there something better than running the arena for collecting cards? Should I be invading more?

The Arena is a decent source of regular keys if you can run the table consistently. Ignore the "buy your team" prompt at the end because it's a ridiculous number of gems. The guild task that gives six keys is also a lucrative source. Magic keys are an option for your gems -- a guaranteed Ultra Rare can be decent, though drawing an Epic from one is a disappointment -- but I'm switching to saving mine for a costume as I've gotten one Legendary from a double handful of Magics. High end cards come when they come.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Gems of War: Time to come home. Invite CHICKENCOWSA to Gem Boys if you would so that I can start raining gold on you, please, unless I find it in the search first and apply.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I've been bending the game over my knee long enough to have a handful of legendaries, but not the ones I really want right now (Webspinner and Bone Dragon). Right now my go-to team is:

Tau (Yellow/Blue, turns Red to Attack). A Revenant that doesn't suck because he can actually take a couple of hits, plus his ability is 1:1 for red gems so it tends to pump his attack up to 20+. Ripping red from the board sometimes leaves him open to attack, but if they want to hit him for 7 and then I hit them for 23, I'll take that trade.
Boar Rider (Purple/Green, kills a row, does 8 damage to first enemy, take another turn). Read that ability description again. That is so goddamn good. Perfect for chip damage, for setting up 4s and 5s, and for setting up skulls with which Tau can blast someone off the board.
Kerberos (Brown/Purple, does 10 damage to selected enemy, 25% chance for instakill/absorb life and atk). 10-ATK muscle in case the first two get taken off the board, plus the active is a gamechanger when it hits all the way.
Moloch (Red/Yellow, does 7 true damage, drains mana). I put him there mostly to round out the colors and so that if Tau drops, someone's picking up yellow mana. He doesn't get that much use, but he's good to have in your back pocket when something annoying like Webspinner or Bone Golem is about to activate.

The latter two are rare but Tau anyone can get (work your way north and west to Sword's Edge) and Boar Rider shouldn't take too long to acquire as he's just a Rare. Between those two you have four colors covered and can fill out the other two slots with whoever you have. Note that you should really only have to activate Tau once a fight to make him a killer, so Yellow/Blue makers aren't as vital.

If you're new to this game, save up 50 gems (at the rate we're blasting through tasks in Gem Boys, it won't take long) and get Dwarven Armor. Viking Armor for 100 for a Souls bonus is fine too. 50% bonus to gold is really nice because it tilts PvP rewards even further in your favor, it affects rewards from Arena, and if Souls are what you need you can turn excess gold into keys and then disenchant who you get. (Or make it rain on your guild and get keys that way.)

Emphasizing again how good Arena mode is. It makes you think about team compositions and come up with strategies, plus 400 souls each time you run the table gets your expensive units leveled all the way up a lot faster.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
It was STARRET with a space after it.

Unless there's some other STARRET-with-a-space-after-it in which case gently caress it, he can join instead.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Shwqa posted:

I don't think those armor are as good as you think. They state the bonus only happens when you are on a quest, challenge, and defending. I don't believe it gives you the bonus on offensive pvp. And I rarely get the chance to defend. And I wouldn't do the soul either, you usually only get 5ish soul a battle.

If you want souls the guild quest for it is the best gold spent for soul return ratio. Besides arena of course.

I can vouch that I'm getting bonus gold on offensive PvP, defensive PvP and Arena. A 1000-gold Arena run gave a 2250 gold reward. Just ran offensive PvP, "Available rewards: 453," cost 226 to enter, end reward was +698 gold (which is just about right for 453 plus 4-and-5-match gold plus 50%). I'll have to test whether the souls bonus affects Arena as well, but if so that's major.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I reinstalled PAD too, and it looks like they've made a few things less grindy. Yesterday, I saw that the Wednesday daily dungeon had a note of "2x drop is permanent now", and during the event that was running through last weekend, the skill-up bonus was 2.5x, which I'd never seen before. And Pengdra evolution doesn't require jewel dragons anymore, just a single dragon seed :eyepop:

To be precise, R G B pengdras require a dragon plant, though that's much easier to acquire now that coin dungeons exist. (The Dragon Plant coin dungeon will drown you in them, and with the changes to the Weekend dungeon gold for it is also plentiful.) Other player-friendly changes include coin dungeons in general, the Tamadra Retreat dungeon every couple of weeks as a source for awakenings, and the biggest of all being its stamina timer being cut in half to five minutes.

Skill-up rates still suck, though.

Gems of War: Confirmed, Arena souls are affected by costumes. A full run just netted me 2250 gold and 500 souls, so if I invest in the cheap souls armor and do it again that'd be 600. I believe they phrase it the way they do (Battles, Quests, Challenges only) to make it clear that it doesn't affect purchasing those with gems.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Ugh. Just drew the nastiest team I've ever seen in Gems of War PvP:

Webspinner (Legendary, Green/Purple, active poisons your whole team, 2 damage to whole team, and creates 10 green gems)
Webspinner
Goblin Shaman (Rare, Purple/Brown, active creates 9 green gems, take another turn)
Hobgoblin (Ultra Rare, Red/Green, active does 6 damage to each of two enemies, take another turn)

One Webspinner is hard enough to stop once it gets on a roll. A second as a backup is just mean. Regardless, it means that as soon as the opponent gets Green, Purple or Brown rolling, you have to get lucky not to be screwed, because greens everywhere generally mean extra turns for him, extra uses of the actives to keep the board green, and then Hobgoblin can plink you to death at his leisure.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
(Mazebert TD)

Byolante posted:

Most of the cards are worthless. Build 1 bunny in the second to right bottom row of the 2x4 area. Wait a few turns for it to level up then put spiders at the back of those rows and fill the other 5 slots with beavers, put jillys in the back 3 lanes, a dandelion in the middle of the front 3 lane. Always combine potions up to gold rank and only drink them on your rabbit. put a frozen 2 set on the dandelion and the lower row spider. Ignore all blue and gold towers, they are gold sinks with no value. Replace the bunny with a balu the bear when it becomes avail, put a knushexe in the front right spot of the first 3 lane. Replace a beaver with manitou. Put a withered 2 set on the dandelion to go with the frozen 2 set. Gradually replace damage items with crit damage items on your balu as he gets to around level 60 and the dmage potions start to stack up.

Its probably the most formulaic tower defense I have ever played once I worked out what was going on. There really is only 1 winning strategy.

I finally beat Easy and lasted 551 seconds in the Bonus Round with a fairly similar strategy -- I put an Electric Chair in the middle of the front row, fed all my potions and best gear to that, stacked a few Irish Pubs in the back for spike damage and from there it didn't really matter all that much because the Chair caused havoc until I replaced it with Balu, who was just a cuddly rape machine from then on. By the end Balu had an average damage of 716K on an 0.8s cooldown. Next, to try it on Normal.

Some of the other cards I've heard good things about :
* Shadow is a solid DPS machine because he has great range, a 1s cooldown and his Adapt ability means he builds up amplified damage against all monster types except Horsemen.
* Mr. Iron is a contender if you build up item rates and then utilize his modular skill over and over. Internalize stuff like Viking Helmets, Seven League Boots, Rare Steaks, Monster Teeth, Longbows if you want him as a heavy hitter, or Keys of Wisdom, Herb Cauldrons, Irish Pub Barrels, Fistfuls of Steel if you want him as a support unit pumping up your main. Eventually you can get him down to 0.1s cooldown and the Withered set to knock enemies back very reliably.
* Give Miss Jilly the Impatient set, always spam the Fast-Forward icon and put her reasonably close to the front so that she never stops attacking. It's not the damage that you want so much as spamming that 1% chance for instadeath. Luck items increase that rate.
* Ganesha can go somewhere in the middle of your troops because he'll level them and himself substantially faster, and can then be replaced for an instant level 99 something else.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Shwqa posted:

Gems of war talk.

I want to see if that swamplash is any good. 20 possible damage to a single target seems pretty brutal. But entangle is a rare status effects on lovely units that share colors with swamplash. It can entangle but that means you got to use the ability before the enemy rolls the 1/4th chance to remove entangle.

Basically the team is just swamplash and goblin shaman. Im unsure the two other units.

Edit: I didn't see green seer. Entangle plus change color to green. That use green, brown, purple, yellow. Now I just need a red.

Low Budget Swamplash Team:

Acolyte (Blue/Purple, create 10 brown gems, gain 1 magic)
Goblin Shaman (Brown/Purple, create 9 green gems, extra turn)
Swamplash (Green/Brown, 10 + (10 if entangled) damage to target, entangle target)
Cockatrice (Brown/Yellow, entangle target, drain mana from target)

Everything but red covered. The random nature of Goblin Shaman and Acolyte will bite you sooner or later, and base attack isn't good on anyone, but each unit has a color that feeds them first and the last three are easy to get. The problem is that if Swamplash dies, you have gently caress all for damage dealing, which is why I'm trying to hide him in the middle.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Toshimo posted:

I guess I can give it another shot. I tried some PvP day 1 and after the first couple dudes, it just matchmade me against impossible guys with way higher stuff and I bled out gold before I realized that I wasn't going to be able to doing anything for another day.

Day 1 is a little early for PvP because you haven't unlocked much of anything yet (new areas for Epic units, Treasure Hunt, a bunch of keys for units that work well together, souls for leveling your better units). But gold is only a handicap for the first day or two; once you get a team that synergizes decently you can hammer PvP pretty reliably, which is a great gold source to fund Arena runs for more souls to make PvP easier.

As far as nearby areas to shoot for, work your way east to Mist of Scales for Raven, southwest to Divinion Fields for Atlanta and south to Zhul'Kari for Treasure Hunt.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

SynthesisAlpha posted:

One of the best towers (in Mazebert) to use as your primary is Holgar the Horrible. He has a 2% chance on kill to get a "Bottle of Mead", which is a potion that gives damage, crit chance, crit damage, and a 1% chance to miss (and only works on vikings, of which he is the only one, unless someone else puts on a Viking Helmet). However, since it's a potion, you can just destroy 2 of them and get a random blue quality normal potion. He farms potions for you. This even works during the bonus round when you wouldn't normally gain any items. He also has some of the best single-target damage because he throws 2 axes that can both hit the same target. My last run was around 1400 seconds of bonus round time because he was critting 2 times every .2s for 2 million damage.

Tried this, and it got me through Normal for the first time. I limped through with about 25% health, all taken in the Floor 60 - 120 range or so while I was waiting for the purple equipment and potions to drop, largely because both speed equipment and anything that granted luck just didn't want to show up. Once I got the ball rolling, though, he melted everything 'til about 800 seconds into Bonus.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Gems of War CPU AI goes something like this:

1) Can I make a 4-match or 5-match to get another turn? If so, I'll do that every time until there are no more.

2) Can I match skulls? I will do that.

3) Do I have a monster skill ready? I will probably use that, though sometimes it'll wait slightly if conditions are very unfavorable for it. If multiple skills are ready it doesn't always use much logic as to which comes first. If I use a skill and refill it the same turn, I might reuse it or I might not. More likely to use board-change skills that way than something like Goblin's sneak attack.

4) Can I make at least a token effort to deny the other player the color I think he needs? I'll do that.

5) Herpa derpa doo I'll match whatever.

As for PvP, as has been noted you can set a specific team to defend your kingdom but the AI plays for you, so that's not very effective. Straight-up PvE activities include the quests to get the Epics from everywhere, Challenges to gain small handfuls of Souls and eventually raise your kingdom level in that area by one (yawn), or Arena for sealed-deck contests.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

MPLS to NOLA posted:

Gold doesn't do anything (e: once you have enough to play arena) if you're newish and in a good guild, other than to plug into the guild. Once you get 2 cards as good as Goblin all you want is Souls. Also, please go post in the ADTRW thread like the rest of the gacha-game degenerates, which I'm not anymore, on account of having ragequit b/c I got released from Gem boys even though I was contributing ~1600gpd qqqqqq

:stare:

(We will assuredly have openings at intervals from booting inactives if you'll want back in.)

Gold is useful later on for the obvious reason of pumping it into guild tasks for low-effort gems, keys and maps. I'm about 50 away from either pirate or spider armor and am trying to decide which. Souls bonuses are nice but when my main team is all lvl 15 they're not my highest priority.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Bandire posted:

I like Berserker too. He also pairs up really well with Emperina. Her heal actually heals him to his previous maximum, so the +health bonus effectively stacks per cast.

Berzerker can get powerful in a hurry if you shove him up front -- one active at Arena strength and he'll have 11 ATK -- but his active's damage is really swingy and hard to rely on, along with the "damage yourself to gain ATK" mechanic. With Tau I like that (I generally take one hit after using Tau's active just from board churn) because his ATK boost is just ridiculous; Berzerker's not so much. I don't know that I'd use him out of Arena just because I'm stacked with Red units and there are better options.

Goblin Rocket looks like pure joy.

I've been experimenting with a defensive control team -- I lucked into The Silent One, so I'm combining him (silence all enemies plus himself) with Sylvasi (steal ATK, yellow -> purple to boost) for a lockdown squad, negating enemy mana matches while eating all their skull power. It's not an exact science as it can be overwhelmed and it's reliant on specific drops, but it's a different strategy.

EDIT: I fiddled around with the Mazebert TD 1.1 update. The revised loot algorithm neuters the Acolyte of Greed/Ganesha combination substantially, which was admittedly a little ridiculous once you got up to speed. The Black Market only opens on weekends and costs 300 relics, so it'll be a while before I test that out; reportedly, it's the same item for everyone so if you can dig up a forum post saying "I tried it and got _x_" you'll know what Legendary it drops. On the plus side, the buffed Wolf mechanic is great; I'm running a 300 wave only-Nature game now and breezing through it because the beta wolves make the alpha a crit factory. Ripper looks like fun once powered up.

delfin fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 10, 2015

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Gems of war talk:
Is the plus xp armor worth getting at all or better off sticking with gold and souls?

I bought Viking Armor first (50% gold, 25% souls) and bought Pirate Armor yesterday (75% gold, 50% XP) to replace it as my primary. My reasoning is thus:

Souls bonuses are only useful in two circumstances -- the last fight in Arena and when you have and spam a Valkyrie on your team. You're likely to not use a Valk on a serious quest/PvP team, so while I will double back and buy that 50% souls armor at some point it's low on my priority list. In a typical fight, that's boosting 4 souls to 6. :toot:

XP is good for two things: leveling up for stats and gaining weapon masteries. Once you get to a certain point you stop gaining stats, so there's that. The Weapons List shows what you can get at various degrees of element mastery, some of which are a lot better than others. If you have a particular one in mind you can powerlevel towards it. I'm working my way towards Prismatic Orb at the moment, though I don't use my Hero much at all outside of Arena.

Meanwhile, Gold bonuses let you make lots of gold via PvP (I'm getting 1000+ returns now pretty regularly), which when poured into a guild give you keys, souls and gems, all of which are nice to have around the house.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
At PvP Rank 1, you get (I think) 16 Glory a day. PvP isn't too hard with a good team and it's rich in gold (especially with a Gold boosting armor) so I typically grind that out on day 1. Since you can't lose ranks (only stars) through PvP, you can do it a few ranks at a time if Rank 1 is taking forever.

The Goblin Rocket is on my primary team now (Tau - Boar Rider - Kerberos - Goblin Rocket). Having two adjust-the-board-and-take-another-turn units is great, and unlike Boar Rider the Rocket generates a little mana, plus it's pretty quick to reload.

Now if a freaking Hobgoblin would just drop. I have nearly a complete collection of Rares and Ultras, but Hobby and Giant Spider just refuse to show up.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Shwqa posted:

We should probably make a thread as well.

On side note I got wrecked by an armor team. Hero, templer, Rowanne, and Herdmaster. They got lucky and charge Herdmaster in the 2nd turn. Holy poo poo that dude blows up the board and charges the entire team.

This game amuses me as there are SO MANY gimmicks that can work (at least when you're on offense). Herdmaster is the budget version of Carnex and Gorgotha, all of whom are nice assets to a team and annoying to fight. The randomness of the explosions will bite you now and then but it's great for rapid mana fillups in general.

Mazebert TD: Is it just me or did this get substantially harder? I commented earlier on liking the revamped Wolf, though that started running out of steam around wave 250-300, and now I'm trying to run Darkness/Metropolis on Easy and getting plowed. The loot function revamp means a lot less potions which means a lot less power and so far my Shadows and Electric Chairs and whatnot can't keep up.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
You know what frustrating is? Trying to play Resources Game when you don't have a data plan, just wifi.

"Wanna go to Target? I can drop three or four mines there while you --" "Stop."

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Dr.Caligari posted:

This is legit, righy? I'm getting all kinds of security warnings and it wnts permission to send /receive text, as well as use the mic. I don't know if a free full version of Goat Simulator is worth giving every advertiser free access to my phone

I'm trying it out. Or, rather, I would if it worked on my Nexus 7, which (hilariously) it does not. My Galaxy Nexus phone snagged some games, though it took a while for them to show up under Your Apps.

Also apparently not available on my wife's ASUS MeMo Pad.

EDIT: I finally got it on the Nexus -- I had to use their splash page to send a download link for the APK via email, then install it manually. If I try to get it via the web interface or via the old Amazon App Store, it claims incompatibility.

delfin fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Trying out Shop Heroes and I feel like I'm treading water. I'm close to level 7, have a few low-level things mastered and I've got the basic concept down, but I'm not sure what there is to do in between bursts of crafting. I can crank out items for several minutes, then it's time to shut it down again and let the wood and iron stocks recharge. I'm five levels away from being able to hire the textile worker for the clothing items the customers keep asking for, gold trickles in but is far outpaced by town building upgrade costs, and I'm not seeing a clear way to speed the process up.