Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Antti posted:

It is absolutely the same thing. The core mechanic hasn't changed. There's just tweaks to it and a new hamster wheel for it to spin in.

That's too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Pretty much the only thing that comes close. It's not really as tactical as DoomRPG/Orcs&Elves in terms of positioning. O&E got a DS version, right? Maybe emulate that?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Deakul posted:

My tablet's not really strong enough to handle DS games. :negative:

Sorry, QuestLord is it, then. I mean, it's still fun!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Deep Winter posted:

For anyone who liked MinuteQuest, the guy has released a sequel, MinuteDungeon. Looks pretty good.

I'll check it out. MinuteQuest was pretty fun.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

MinuteDungeon Trip Report: Imagine MinuteQuest, but now instead if just holding a direction you constantly have to tap a third button to switch the plane you're moving on Fatal Fury style, plus there are trap spaces you have to avoid by moving back and forth until they fade and you can pass safely. Oh, and you can only have four weapons and four armor on you at any one time-- and you can have/get duplicates.

I really can't see putting too much more time into it.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

precision posted:

Well today's Crossy Road update sure is a thing...

I love it. It's so fun. It's too bad that half the time I launch the game now it freezes.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

flashy_mcflash posted:

Is there a better top-down Raiden-esque shooter than Sky Force? I've been enjoying Sky Force but wouldn't mind trying something different, and there's too many bad, spam-filled clones on the Market.

I've been trying out Space Galaga recently and it's been holding my attention well enough. A Space Dandy themed Galaga isn't exactly Raiden I understand, but you may still like it.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I've been playing Tower Slash for the past couple days and it's a pretty fun rhythm-esque game where you swipe in arrow directions to kills badguys as you ascend a tower. There are rotating yellow arrows that don't stop until you're close enough to swipe and red arrows you need to swipe in the opposite direction. Occasionally bosses show up with little Simon Says memory sequences. I'v e been having a ball and managed to hit 12th on the overall high score table.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Onean posted:

This is surprisingly fun. The only ad I've seen was when I gave the Revive option a try. Haven't played a ton of it yet, though, just maybe 45 minutes to an hour total over my shift at work today.

I ended up buying Remove Ads because it was 2-3 dollars and I've easily gotten at least that amount of fun out of it. I'm pretty sure I never saw any ads except when using the Revive option either.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Kheldarn posted:

An interesting little game called Barcode Knight came out. Enter the dungeon, scan a barcode, and fight monsters.

Eagerly awaiting the sequel/knockoff QR code Knight.

Edit: It's a dollar, but I'm going to trust you on this one Kheldarn. Don't lead me astray!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

This game is pretty boring to start with, Kheldarn!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

cyberia posted:

What games (besides Alphabear and this DBZ thing) are people enjoying at the moment?

Anything that doesn't need an internet connection to play is a plus :shobon:

I've been playing this thing which really doesn't need an internet connection. If you are, the ads are pretty atrocious. I recommend liberal use of the back key since the devs forgot and you can just back out of any ad with no consequence.

Enough about that! Infinite Stairs gameplay is pretty easy to understand. You've got two controls, one to climb and to turn around. Turning around also climbs, though, and basically the whole thing is just learning the timing on stairs patterns. Theres a lot of characters, pets and stages to unlock, and lots of different ways to unlock the characters.

Overall, if I could throw a couple of bucks to remove ads or double the coin values I don't think I'd have any complaints about the game. It's sort of the same type of feeling when I get playing Crossy Road or Tower Slash, except I don't have to deal with swipes which can register wrongly or require more room than I have.

My high score is actually 326 now, but this is the screenshot have available.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Any other games I should be playing than the 3 being mentioned all the time? Timer based games would be awesome while I'm on break at work.

Try 10,000,000,000 Wives. The goal is to increase the wife.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

vulturesrow posted:

Should i waste materials awakening N level guys?

e: I'm very leery of using stones on pulls thanks to my days of playing PAD. Actually this game kinda makes me want to play PAD again.

PAD at least doesn't have lovely puzzling. On the other hand, the power bloat is even worse than when I stopped playing. I reinstalled, saw I had a ton of stuff waiting to be levelled so I could get skill ups and was like "nope!"

It's too bad. PAD with the level of presentation that Dokkan has would be amazing.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

That's a fantastic price for Monument Valley and I encourage anyone who hasn't given it a look before to do so and even if you're on the fence it's certainly worth a buck.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Chinook posted:

Yeah dude. That poo poo is for kids. This thread is for posting a bunch of tired screenshots of bears saying dirty things.

I try and post about more game-y arcade style games!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Haven't been in the thread in a while, but I saw MinuteQuest got an actually good sequel in MinuteFrontier. It lost the cool ability combo system, but there's a lot of good changes, including weapons having different mechanics, weapon levelling, job abilities stacking. The pet system is simpler and dungeons don't really exist anymore either, which is kind of weak. Also there doesn't appear to be the fast travel caves? I'm not sure because I'm only closing on on 10.0k atm.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

wall monitor posted:

I'm a bit annoyed that I have to rapidly tap in order to get the most damage. That'll get old pretty fast.

Actually-- unlike MinuteQuest some weapons will have an auto attack that does more damage per hit (but is slower) than quick tapping. And some jobs, like Girl, have auto movement, too, while equipped.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Kheldarn posted:

It turns out that, for the Hammer, anyway, if you start the attack, then tap as fast as you can while it's rising, then stop, it will do more damage.

Full disclosure, I've mostly used the sword, daggers and dice because it's the most mindless way to grind. I've tried out the others at least once, but it just seems that so far like they're more effort for not that gteat of a return.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

wall monitor posted:

Minutefrontier: I'm not quite sure I get what's going on. I get new abilities by leveling up each class, and those are listed in the job menu, but I'm also randomly getting weapon levelups whether I'm using them or not, and it looks like my abilities level up too? Natural Recovery is at 3, but Staff Motion is at 1/5... is that one out of five found, or one-fifth level?

Why when I pick Wizard is my sword converted to a water sword? I don't get that either.

Weapon levels go up based on drops, if you look each monster drops a specific weapon. And each job can have different elements on the weapons, like the Wizard getting a water element sword. Finally, 1/5 is you have 1 level out of a max of 5, some abilifies have no cap however and those tend to go up every level of the job that grants it, so like Monk's ability to givr you life every screen or the Vampire's ability to give you life every kill. Usually you see this ability granted at level 1 initially on the job submenu, from the pause screen.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

BobTheJanitor posted:

Minute frontier: has anyone found any character/weapon combo that gives you autorun outside of girl/sword? It's almost an idle game, but I can't dedicate one finger to holding down a screen all day, I've got to actually do my job from time to time.

That's the only one I've found for sure. I thought there may have been a second one, but I can't remember what it was. Something paired with sword, knife or dice, since those are the weapons I use the most.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Lara Croft Go is pretty fun, but the puzzling is pretty simple until the final set of stages with the crystal monsters. Not as braindead as Monument Valley, but still rather easy. The last set of stages also sort of play around with expected puzzling logic too, which was fun. (as in like, looking at the elements and figuring out the order to do things based on placement/adding stuff in that isn't necessarily used in the solution) I also like that when replying stages to get any missed treasures you can just exit out after tapping the pots instead of needing to complete the stage again.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I just finished the first boss fight and it was actually super rad and Tomb Raider-y feeling, despite being a turn based puzzle game on my 4" cell phone screen.

The boss fight was surprisingly well done. After all the build up I was starting to doubt there would be anything other than an end of stage animation.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Dely Apple posted:

I see Star Wars Uprising is finally moving along the sector battle it needs to continue the story. Story as it is. I bet they make the players do more sector battles as a punishment for having installed this game in the first place!

I started playing this after seeing TFA and it's been filling my need for both Star Wars and dress up. The sector battle stuff has been kind of annoying, maybe it's my low level (hit 19 last night), but some variety in enemy types would make it less painful.
At least I've been able to level up a bunch of gear.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Here's something pretty great I found: Tottoko Dungeon

It's sort of a puzzle game with light RPG elements. The main character barrels ahead through each map and you have to equip skills and use them to guide the character through. Getting to the exit isn't the challenge, though, it's managing to get all the treasure chests on each map. And most maps you'll need to play more than once with different skill loadouts to collect everything.

Once the map is exited the first time, you then can look at a preview of the whole thing before entering so you can plan your route. It's really helpful!

There are two types of IAP in this otherwise free game, buying gold (which upgrades equipment) and No-Ads, which is just under $2. I'm on the last map of the third dungeon (out of six, according to the achievements) and unless there is a huge spike later, there hasn't been a need to spend any of the 20k+ gold I've gotten in game. For reference the first couple upgrades on a piece of gear costs around 100-250.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Don't get Crashlands, it's horribly addicting. Time just passes right by.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

socialsecurity posted:

Crashlands have multiplayer? I can't get a clear response on that, everyone says its a Diablo like but my favorite thing about Diablo-likes is mindlessly grinding with friends(internet strangers)

It's more like 2D top-down Minecraft than anything.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Crashlands also has kind of a weird "ugly" art style. Like it's technically proficient art, I just don't like how anything looks.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Daztek posted:

I can play Crashlands on my desktop during the day, in the evening I can crash on my couch and play Crashlands on my tablet and when I go to bed I can play Crashlands on my phone until I pass out from exhaustion. Help.

If there was a multiplayer component, even just somehow sharing a map and seeing what your friends built, I could see losing a lot more time.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

CrashCat posted:

That's an amazingly bad suggestion engine. A Steven Universe game is like Darkest Dungeon? :raise:

Attack the Light? It sort of does have similar gameplay to Darkest Dungeon in the vague turn-based RPG sense where you're directing a party through a node-based dungeon. At least, it's probably a fairly close match compared to other Android offerings.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I was looking through my old posts for that list of suggested games to see if I included whether data connections were needed or not and this caught my eye.

Potsticker posted:

<snip>

It's too bad. PAD with the level of presentation that Dokkan has would be amazing.

Recently my roommate mentioned Granblue Fantasy as an aside and since I really knew nothing about it I thought I'd give it a try. Fair warning, it's all in Japanese, though an english-language option may be coming next month.

It's basically PAD without the puzzling and more of a focus on using your character abilities to beat monsters in a JRPG fashion. It's not quite as stylish as Dokkan, but there's still a lot of cool stuff to see and hear.

Like PAD, there's that annoying rerolling for a good gatcha character to start, but it does have paid options where you can choose which drop you want specifically. Apparently there's some changes being made too with more transparency on gatcha drop percentages?

It also has a lot of slots to fill, with five characters in a party (3 main, plus 2 backup whenever anyone faints), ten weapon pool (only the first one determines your player character's element and its type is restricted by job) and five summon slots. (with the first giving a leader skill like PAD) You also pick a friend/rando each quest and get their summon and it's skill to use too, like PAD. Unlike PAD you set up separately which summon you offer, and you can set a summon for every element type, plus an extra free type! It's a little intimidating to a new player. As a new player you do get a 10 roll for free, which guarantees an SR, (the second highest rarety, which goes SSR > SR > R > N) but doesn't guarantee that it'll be a character.

In addition to the characters you set, you also have a player avatar which can job change, getting different skills as they level. Usually each job has 3 skills specific to it, plus an extra EX slot which can have (most) any skill from another job set into it. And even after fully levelling a job, your XP isn't wasted, but instead goes into a pool to build points to further improve your character! Again, it's fairly deep for a PAD clone.

The one big downside to starting out is that it's hard to build a party of characters, since weapons, characters (who come with a weapon, so they're a bit of a twofer), and summons all come out of the same gatcha and while you can farm weapons and summons in various other ways, guaranteeing getting new characters isn't quite so easy for someone spending zero real money. Following the story quests does give a small pool of characters and you earn gatcha currency by completing quests and achievements, but like PAD you really want to wait for special events to spend those.

Finally, there are a variety of multiplayer co-op quests and bosses, where up to 30 people (limit of 4 for co-op quests) are actively fighting the same monster or group of monsters. Active meaning buffs, debuffs and effects matter for everyone at the same time, not just participating in a solo instance that happens to affect a shared boss lifebar.

From a game design perspective there's a lot of interesting stuff going on. Individual characters can have interesting mechanics like an abiltiy that switches stances so the other abilties have different mechanics. There's some jobs that have abilities that change based on what type of weapon is equipped as the main weapon. There's a lot of design space here and unlike PAD there isn't a vestigal puzzling mechanic that sort of fell by the wayside. I really liked PAD's puzzling, but a lot of high level play mostly ignored it outside of some highly specific team comps.

On the other hand it is a Mobage with a gatcha and anime artwork. Also the current event is an Idolm@ster collab.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

For an actual non-data plan needing suggestion, I highly recommend Veritas LCD which is a smart little adventure game I finally beat completely recently. Despite looking like an old LCD game, (LSI? I'm not sure what's the best term, but think Tiger Electronics over DMDs like Tamagotchi have) there's a lot of depth to the mechanics and the screen design is really amazing. It's not a super great on-the-go game due to maybe needing to make a little map or take notes depending on your memory, but that shouldn't matter on a flight or when relaxing at home.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

peepsalot posted:

In the 30s or so of gameplay from the video, there are 4 instances of "inventory is full!", seems like constant inventory micro-managing would get old real quick.

I haven't noticed that really in the small amount of time I've played it. It's fun so far, but I want to delve a bit deeper before making any recokmendation.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Here's the big post I made last thread, most of which don't require an online connection to play. Also most of them tend to be free and/or have no ads. Apparently you can't quote old posts because I was just going to repost it, but F redoing the BBCode URLs.

Also previously in this thread, all of which I'm pretty certain don't require a connection:

Potsticker posted:

I've been playing Tower Slash for the past couple days and it's a pretty fun rhythm-esque game where you swipe in arrow directions to kills badguys as you ascend a tower. There are rotating yellow arrows that don't stop until you're close enough to swipe and red arrows you need to swipe in the opposite direction. Occasionally bosses show up with little Simon Says memory sequences. I'v e been having a ball and managed to hit 12th on the overall high score table.

Potsticker posted:

I've been playing this thing which really doesn't need an internet connection. If you are, the ads are pretty atrocious. I recommend liberal use of the back key since the devs forgot and you can just back out of any ad with no consequence.

Enough about that! Infinite Stairs gameplay is pretty easy to understand. You've got two controls, one to climb and to turn around. Turning around also climbs, though, and basically the whole thing is just learning the timing on stairs patterns. Theres a lot of characters, pets and stages to unlock, and lots of different ways to unlock the characters.

Overall, if I could throw a couple of bucks to remove ads or double the coin values I don't think I'd have any complaints about the game. It's sort of the same type of feeling when I get playing Crossy Road or Tower Slash, except I don't have to deal with swipes which can register wrongly or require more room than I have.

Potsticker posted:

Here's something pretty great I found: Tottoko Dungeon

It's sort of a puzzle game with light RPG elements. The main character barrels ahead through each map and you have to equip skills and use them to guide the character through. Getting to the exit isn't the challenge, though, it's managing to get all the treasure chests on each map. And most maps you'll need to play more than once with different skill loadouts to collect everything.

Once the map is exited the first time, you then can look at a preview of the whole thing before entering so you can plan your route. It's really helpful!

There are two types of IAP in this otherwise free game, buying gold (which upgrades equipment) and No-Ads, which is just under $2. I'm on the last map of the third dungeon (out of six, according to the achievements) and unless there is a huge spike later, there hasn't been a need to spend any of the 20k+ gold I've gotten in game. For reference the first couple upgrades on a piece of gear costs around 100-250.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Shinino Kage posted:

Also, how do you guys (if you do) download apps from the Japanese store? Do you guys create an account and use a VPN, or do you download from elsewhere?

There's a couple of ways to do it, but the easiest is just googling a website that will download apks for you from the play store, region and device free. Then you just put the apk on your phone, either directly through a cable, SD card, or throwing it up on Dropbox or whatever and installing it from there. Most everything will run on any device, and I can't think of any games off hand that actually cares about where your phone is located geographically or where the IP is routed through once it's on your device.

With something like Granblue Fantasy, there's even just a chrome app you can run on your computer and play it like that, if you want. And there's no region or location settings you need for that, either. Of course, you still need an apk for your phone or tablet, but it's another way to check it out if someone is interested in seeing what it's like, or if the language barrier might be too much.

It's usually just the big companies that region block their games currently, as recently it seems that a lot of the smaller and more indie stuff I follow has been accessible in the US region.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Is the English text option of Granblue Fantasy out yet?

Not yet, but as long as I'm not burned out and still playing when it happens I'll post about it in here when it does. I've heard it should be this month, but it sounds like that may have just been speculation that some people have latched onto as fact.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I've seen it was going to be this month back in September but no news ever since.

Hopefully it does, then. And hopefully they bring back 1/2 cost main quest when they do, because now that that's over it's much harder to keep plinking away at while also running Event stuff inbetween. Being able to blaze through the early islands certainly helped when going through the newbie routine learning the game and how its systems work.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Drakes posted:

March 10th is the anniversary of the game I believe, there'll be an update that day to make the gacha slightly more friendlier is all I know.

Once you're at like chapter 30, you can pretty much sit back on story quests for awhile. Unless you want to open up chapter 54+ where materials for gunslinger bullets are. But man 1/2 cost was fantastic for grinding out magnas, filled out my earth pool along with the celestial event.

I've only made it to Chapter 18 so far. I'm still pretty new at only rank 36. I was spending a lot of my AP clearing free quests to build up enough crystals to get a second 10 roll during the Legend Fest instead of just clearing chapters. The only thing I can't clear in the current event is the Hell mode boss, and of course I'm not getting MVP on the Extreme one, but I'm still getting enough out of it in terms of items that it felt completely worth it to go all-in on it. I've gotten two copies of the SSR weapon and about 12 or so combined of the SR ones.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The Start Dash comes around once a month until you buy it, so it's not like you have to get it right away, but then the pool of characters you get to pick from with the ticket is determined by what the gatcha pool was when you started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Monument Valley is a good looking game, and a good timewaster, but it's kind of a bad puzzle game. It's kind of like an old adventure game, except instead of figuring out which item combination you need or guessing the verb to type in Monument Valley you just need to figure out which part of the stage you need to interact with. It's rather straightforward that way, even into the expansion. I do still recommend it as it is beautiful and some of the stages unfold in really novel and entertaining ways.