Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
also nobody actually knows what theyre doing with the setting because gw hates communication or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Zzulu posted:

:siren: warning, incoming art dump:siren:
For all the newbies who are being introduced to Warhammer Fantasy with this game, here's some art of the units of the four factions so you get a better idea of what they're about :
Vampire Cunts aka 2Spooky4Me :spooky: aka Monster Mash :skeltal:
Warriors of Chaos aka grimdark heavy metal spike and skull appreciation station aka winners of warhammer END TIMES
:orks:Orcs, aka Orcs (and goblins) :orks:
Empire Humans, aka the good guys, but not really aka Medieval Europeans with wizards
Dwarves, aka angry old men who live in the ground

To follow this up since people aren't too familiar with the setting compared to 40k or other generic fantasy, here's some more factions which may or may not be present/playable in the future.

(i know most of them from blood bowl so how actually relevent they are in the lore or whatever is something someone else can talk about)

Tomb Kings: not-egypt. kingly mummys leading a bunch of skeletons. got everything you'd want from egypt armies, like chariots and angry sphinxes and poo poo. undead don't run, but generally suck to make up for that. end times fate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQbznfI3ARk&t=1m50s

Brettonia: ye old chivalric fucks. great cavalry, backed up by bloody peasants and trebuchets. based on french knights and round table lore. knights go on quests to find the grail, get buffs, come back home, and run over people. end times fate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JsiA4L3gEs

Skaven: live underground in blissful Objectivist harmony, where nothing is accomplished because youre too busy trying to kill your boss. are like the bad guys in Wizards. come in four flavors: eshin (ninja rats), pestilens (plauge rats), skyre (ww1 rats), and moulder (freaky rats). end times fate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWmMCxRyUbs

Chaos Dwarves: dwarves that hung out with the wrong crowd. have tusks and fancy hats. live in a big city where they kick around hobgoblins all day. discontinued but canon, most you'll see is them manning Chaos cannons or something lame like that. end times fate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcKjnIY4ikA

Ogres: hungry. worship a mouth that is also hungry. fight for other people for food, which often includes other people. really big. end times fate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUmIrToZvW0&t=19s

High Elves: live on an island and serve to provide the needed fantasy archetypes of ageless magical dweebs. quality over quantity, mixed with magic, dragons, and insidiously ugly hats. end times fate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shs7VQhVvxA

Wood Elves: the same loving elves youve seen in every other fantasy work dont loving lie this is what you wanted. like bows, friends with ents, very speedy. end times fate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36qqXqcPaBo

Dark Elves tenchcoat mafia elves. live in not-north america, sail around menacingly doing evil things because theyre hip and with it, are a warning from the british about what may befall youth if they listen to loud music and enjoy sex. gimmick is having crossbows, having monsters, and being decent overall. end times fate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEA_gt9rc9c

Beastmen bitter redheaded stepchild of Chaos. goat people and minotaurs and such. also chariots. angry hordes, pretty much standins for "normal fantasy" style of orcs or other savage and uncivilized things that exist to die to people that matter. end times fate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp0Bt2cbcc8

Lizardmen not chaos. aztec-ish. lead by giant magic frogs, they have dinosaurs, big angry lizardguys, smaller lizardguys, just lots of reptiles in general. hit hard and dont like to run away. end times fate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzS39oghcnY&t=3m35s

Other: halflings, hobgoblins, gnomes, Albion (not-Britain) Cathay (not-China), Norsca (not-Vikings), Nippon (not-Japan), Ind (not-Ind- okay seriously), Araby (just loving guess, seriously, loving GUESS), amazons, pygmies. None of them have official armies, many of them are shameful, all of them are canon so could potentially show up. they probably wont. end times fate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8AUT_f1bC4

e: first post of page 13, praise the horned rat or some poo poo

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 11:20 on May 7, 2015

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i may have been a little cavalier at some points with my descriptions

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
And yeah I'd encourage anyone who thinks a faction looks interesting to go ahead and look up stuff on them. WF race lore is actually pretty cool with its broad strokes in that you have pretty familiar archetypes but they're given a pretty distinct interpretation (except beastmen). Like Ogres turned out to be some creation of the old gods in an attempt to create a race that could take on the Chaos making GBS threads out of the north pole, but they hosed up so they're just hulking hungry manchildren without a real purpose in the world they're in.

When you start getting into the nitty gritty character/plot stories in the lore its pretty hit or miss. Lots of people with long names screaming at each other over stuff that happened at some point in 500 years of he said she said.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Zzulu posted:

Also, the greenskins under the leadership of their greatest fighter ever (and former chaos dwarf slave) Grimgor, decided to gently caress over the Chaos Dwarves completely during the END TIMES stuff. They went to the chaos dwarfs lands and just basically wiped them out and then Gork and Mork (the greenskins gods) killed the chaos dwarfs god as a final gently caress you. It was pretty much the only thing the orcs got to do during end times. Well that and Grimgor headbutting the super-ascended-megaman-chaos-champion-of-the-end-times Archaon before getting cut down

one of the first warhammer lore things i read about was the conclusion of storm of chaos and it was one of the best things id ever read in a fantasy setting.

basiically, there was a sort of END TIMES version 0.1 where they decided a great idea would be advancing the plot but have the story acted out via some system where you would play games and send in the results of said games and the outcome would determine what happened in the story. At the same time, however, they did their usual poo poo of trying to create some ~masterful story~ or some loving overwrought c-grade fantasy garbage (seriously just try to read this poo poo without your brain stem mercykilling you) where the previously mentioned super-ascended-megaman-chaos-champion Archaon decided one day to wander down south and rub sand in the Emperor's eyes or something and from there a bunch of super epic poo poo was presumably going to go down and everyone and their mother was invited. It was hyped up to be a big shake up; whatever happened would change things fOrEvErrr

Unfortunately, there were problems. Aside from the website being set up and the whole thing being badly managed (they didn't update during weekends but still took results, and the number of results received would impact the results due to how many results one side received, total), the biggest problem was that the writers didn't really seem to get that, at the time, Chaos sucked. So they lost. They lost a poo poo ton, to everyone. Part of what happened was that the Orcs were registered as a "neutral" faction and could report its results as either against Order or against Chaos, but surprise surprise Orc players tend to hate Chaos so they smashed the poo poo out of them near exclusively. But the writers had their heart set on some idea of Chaos being a terrible nigh-invincible menace that is only barely stopped (if that), so it didn't really do much to have Chaos's most grand invasion get its face smashed on the Empires' doorstep forever. So they kept having to try to keep things on track plotwise, which was pretty transparent and just annoyed everyone involved. So the results got even more skewed as people begun intentionally trying to gently caress up the storyline and the Chaos players more or less stopped trying.

At the end, there was supposed to be a huge battle at the place the Chaos dudes were targeting (even though they never made it close to reaching it) where pretty much every single army showed up to fight, and in the end, with no way to move the plot in the way they wanted while pretending the game results mattered, they pulled out the most blatant, angry cop out they could manage. Archaon kicks over the Emperor, before getting coldclocked in the back of the head by Grimgor the Orc. Grimgor declares that he's the best orc ever, then goes home. The undead, who had just been chilling, raise the dead of everyone from the battle, destroy the remaining forces, then also go home. Archaon has some existential crisis and wanders off. Absolutely nothing of importance changed, and then the Storm of Chaos campaign was ignored as hard as possible.

Its now noncanon after End Times, where the results were entirely predetermined, and where there's apparently a lot of little cheapshots done along the way against whatever figures happened to have embarrassed Chaos too much in previous End Times. Grimgor being killed by Archaon being one such thing.

this has pretty much all the updates that were put out by gw, plus some of their explanations for how things went: http://z3.invisionfree.com/Orc__Goblin_Warpath/ar/t26684.htm fun quote from it: "All-in-all, with both sides complaining I figure we got it just about right."

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 7, 2015

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i feel as though my choice selection of youtube videos for factions captures the spirit of the end times events fairly well

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i think they took over pretty much everything because there were infinity skaven or something so they just sort of autowon everything, to the point where they didnt bother to describe minor details like the destruction of the entire kingdom of brettonia. i dont know the details but i heard it was like they were gearing up for stuff one book and building up the plot and then the next was like "uh yeah they just all died, nobody cared"

i dont think i can ever truly get over how bad gw writers are at writing about warfare

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
in unrelated news i learned that the music for warhammer-based l4d-clone Vermintide's soundtrack is going to be composed by Jesper Kyd

its only tangentially related but i feel like sharing since i liked kyd's work in Blood Money

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
orks are cool in my book

~believe in yourself~

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the only vaugly warhammer dream i had was that i was infiltrating a dwarven place which was also my childhood home and i was standing in attention with the dwarven army and none of them noticed that i was very tall

long story short the dwarven king disintegrated, screaming, into a pile of dust after saying axes were more dwarfish than hammers and then i helped the dwarves loot things off of tall shelves

i dont think i learned anything from that dream but i think its better than a malevolent rat god trying to influence my purchasing decisions imo

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
The W40k third person space marine game was great just for the juxtaposition of "serious battle brothers" with "dudes that use giant rocks as a means of transport"

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
It'd be funny if the Chaos guys would work like the Darknuts in that Zelda MTW2 mod.

As in, hilariously proficient and armored but also incapable of running.

Also re: Diplomacy, I can't wait to see how CA fucks it up since setting is pretty perfect for the typical TW diplomacy AI. It would be neat, though, to have sort of faction-specific methods for getting factions to like you. Dwarves like you by default but if you gently caress up they demand extreme restitution before liking you again, chaos always welcomes "friendship" but takes advantage of it in bad ways, orcs get a diplomacy bonus for beating the poo poo out of them repeatedly because clearly you're a proper orky sort of 'ooman, elves being the only faction to care about things like "warmongering", skaven alternating between fawning obsequiousness and opportunistic aggression depending on how many weapons you have pointed at their head at a given moment, etc

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
There's already a precedent for "random chance to gently caress up if you push things" sort of mechanic in TW games, from the more concerete things like "press button to overheat engine and maybe blow the gently caress up" to more abstract things like "hey lets shoot our cannons into the battle line and hope more of their dudes die".

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I went back to play RTW a while ago and you'd be surprised just how braindead the AI is in comparison to how it is in more modern ones.

Recalling my last time I played Shogun 2, the big things in the map are being able to do navel invasions effectively, being more sane about suing for peace and starting wars, exploiting weakness in player defenses, and having sane army composition. As late as Med 2 the AI was doing poo poo like starting random wars with a random navel blockade or having armies comprised entirely of skirmishers and catapults farting around in a desert while you rampage across their countryside.

In battle, the AI is more aware of terrain, is more responsive to weaknesses in its position (like when it has few archers it tries to engage asap rather than skirmish), pays better attention to terrain, and doesn't get its general killed as often. It is still garbage at some basic things though, like sieges or dealing intelligently with hiding troops (it right now just pretends troops you hid in woods are not there, and it doesnt bother being sneaky at all with its own). It is also really easy to gently caress around with by doing things like using some light cav to peel away units from their army to destroy with some other units. Its still an improvement but its hard to appreciate since its still getting its face rocked by anyone semi competent.

It reminds me reading about Half Life 2 AI and how it actually was programmed to use coordinated military maneuvers and tactical responses to player actions which the player will never notice because the player slaughters them like chaff within 10 seconds of encountering them. TW AI is rather weak compared to a player but comes across a lot worse since its initial weakness means its going to be having to cope with really lovely strategic situations where the player is running a train on them after slaughtering their best army within three turns of a war starting.

(theres still a ton of room for improvement of course)

e: navel invasions get brought up and i think its fair to point out that naval invasions are apparently a complete loving nightmare to create AI for without using workarounds. a lot of TW mechanics are things that AI doesn't really like dealing with)

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Rakthar posted:

Using Shogun 2 / FOTS as an example is not great because the scope was so limited they could make it 'work'.

Well, yeah, that's probably one of the more important considerations when designing a game where you want the AI to pose a challenge. If you design systems that an AI can't cope with, its going to lead to bad AI. Shogun 2 doing "cheaty" things like reducing the amount of valid strategic options or simplifying army setup and city building means that the AI is going to put on a better performance, even if its not really "smarter".

One problem with Rome 2 AI, for instance, was the fact they made a city management scheme that the AI was just utterly incapable of managing.

I've also written words about the whole politics system in Rome 2, along with their love of lovely tiny x% bonuses on everything. I was not a fan.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I'm... cautiously optimistic about the Empire's take on interpolitics. The fact that you _are_ Karl Franz, and you are the de jure head of the Empire has the potential to do away with a lot of the stupidity of the previous system where you had to play a balancing act because there was no way to get around the fact that you were both your own party within a faction, supposedly vying for power, and also the omniscient controller of all the resources of your faction.

They just need to shamelessly rip off of CK2 in that regard, where it the "you are the king, not the kingdom" stance allows for the type of inter-factional murdering that we all want without having to stop and balance some bullshit invisible scales while the politics AI plays an entirely different game than you.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Rakthar posted:

Unless they have some amazing new staff that didn't work on Rome 2 / Attila I'll be skeptical as gently caress of the political system until I see it in action. I have a hard time imagining anything other than a slightly streamlined version of what they have for dynasty management right now.

Or to put it another way, if they implement something that isn't total dogshit I'll be pretty impressed.

Honestly the whole "lets have a different set of mechanics for every faction" idea puts me a bit on edge just from how awful so many of the R2 campaign mechanics were. I wouldn't be so full of malaise about it if they had at least been honest and acknowledged how bad poo poo was since maybe then I'd think they tried to learn from it, but they kept up a dumb PR spin machine about the whole thing while they were trying to rebuild it, to the degree I was wondering if they were trying to get the game elected to office.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
they will never go under, they will simply continue shrinking until it is just an unoccupied office with one guy who technically owns it and who will continue spitefully holding onto the ip until the sun goes cold, crafting delusional internal reports in his own mind.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
He takes himself seriously enough to not be a complete softball in interviews, so there's that at least.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

papasyhotcakes posted:

Crossposted from the Warhammer TG thread:

dear gw, please fire all your writers.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
id claim it was written by a marketing team but lol gw having a marketing team

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Krazyface posted:

RE Chaos: it's not about winning, it's about having fun.

No, that's orcs/orks.

IMO Chaos has some neat things going for it on as sort of baleful cosmic id and manifestation of mankinds own hosed up psychosis combined with british metal album covers, but the writers now discard most of that in lieu a faction full of things a moody tween sketches in their notebooks, complete with character bios cribbed from popular anime. I think they had potential as being good bad guys in more than one way, but in practice, they're one note dorks and not even that entertaining about it.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jun 28, 2015

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I really hate fantasy armor.

Its always this stupid, overly ornate garbage plate mail bullshit. None of the people that create it know or respect anything about the history of armor, or how much a loving science it was. So when trying to create cool armor they produce trash that is the horrifying equivalent of a colorblind man painting a room, and looks worse than people hundreds of years ago made when they had a loving sense that even their crazy gilded ornate poo poo had to somehow be worn by a human being at some point.. I liked the empire in fantasy since they cribbed from a different era of armor and were somewhat less inclined to create formless metal shithouses and now its dead. Dead!

okay thats me being autistic for a bit to get in the spirit of things but lovely fantasy armaments are a legit pet peeve of mine as i am a thoughtless consumer of lovely media meant for children

e: like what the gently caress is the point of all those loving lovely overwrought details on the chaos guys when theyre like 2 loving inches tall and all those bits just turn into loving noise the second you move your eye more than a half foot away from them aaaaa

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

You know how it's called fantasy? Yeah.

thats a lazy copout

i mean i am a legit poo poo-tard for caring but its like defending a lovely disproportionate deviant-art anime character art by going "shut up fucker its a stylistic choice", you gotta have some understanding of the poo poo youre exaggerating or modifying for a genre or its just kind of balefully generic and derivative and limits actual originality.

anyways its only tangentially related to warhammer total war i guess so thats good at least

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Martello posted:

While I mostly agree with you

You said 'plate mail'

gently caress.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i'm lying here with a bucket to collect enough of my tears to drown myself in

e: thank you stephen

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jun 30, 2015

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Firstborn posted:

Does this 30 lb solid gold helmet ornament trigger you?

pauldrons too small

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Most threads about it are a sort of horror freak show where an audience is bound in a roller coaster car that is being drug through a cesspit and you get to see the real time reactions as it washes all over them

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I keep reading Stormcast as Stormfront and I'm not going to stop doing that.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Them losing out in court to a dude that wrote "Spot the Space Marine" over the term "Space Marine" also probably a motivating factor in coming up with insane names for everything.

Its great since you can usually try to pretend that stuff like that might in some way be considered good business practice but nah they're just huge weirdos about IP and are willing to burn everything down around them over something that has never cost them any money, ever.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

I mean, it can seem really dumb if you're a serious Fantasy wargamer, and outright moronic if you plan to run any of it in a public store (I doubt that people in adjacent lots would like hearing WAAAGH and "For the Lady!" 24/7), but if you're playing with mates, then why not?

As a standalone game, stuff like that is inoffensive, if a bit overly gimmicky.

Whats kind of understated here is that A. the actual gameplay is pretty shallow, with a lot of dice rolling that doesn't really add much to gameplay aside from adding the potential for one side to lose cataclysmically for no reason, and with a removal of much of the balancing mechanics with a polite suggestion to play "for fun", and B. this is a replacement for a wargame thats been around for quite a few decades and though often involving silliness and randomness, was still a wargame at heart and hadn't so far included mechanics involving doing things like giving guttural warcrys for rerolls or laying your model on top of other models to see the number of casualties (when a lot of the models are expensive handpainted things that don't like that). Its a pretty big change in playstyle for a game that demands a hundred dollar investment at the bare minimum to play.

Its pretty much the MtG Unbound rule set except imagine if they then got rid of the normal MtG ruleset. For a lot of people, having fun and having a competitive game with rules and balance are not at all mutually exclusive.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Mans posted:

if all skaven are super selfish backstabing egocentric cowards how can they organize countless waves of hordes to bash against their enemies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdXQJS3Yv0Y

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
it helps to remember that, like how orcs are a parody of the 80's soccer hooligan, the skaven are a parody of the 80's neofascist punk. hence, they're a bunch of racist bullies that act tough as poo poo before someone scarier comes along and then they all break down in tears, and each one fancies themselves the boss and either act like it or try to sell enough people out so they get to be it

you can also see them as a more direct parody of the nazis and other fascist groups as a whole, mainly in the combination of ruthlessness and ineptitude that results in things like the the postal service putting in funding to develop nuclear weapons and having at least three separate intelligence services, one headed by an antinazi who undermines everyone efforts and goes largely unnoticed since the other services are, remarkably, equally incompetent and self destructive

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
(in End Times that prophecy never comes to pass and Thanquol (a major character, mind you) gets beheaded off screen by Archaeon (the megaman of chaos) in the last book (despite being the title character for previous books (did I mention GW hires bad writers?)))

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
power armor for power armor is at least clearly the product of a deranged bureaucracy of one stripe or another.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

victrix posted:

Gonna mod in an OSHA Inspector for Skaven

bureaucrat

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

the animations are fun looking

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Nuclear War posted:

Karl Franz does NOT have a tiny warhammer

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
shogun 2 was great, when i had a huge boat, and everyone else has tiny boats, and i could blow them up and they could decorate my invincible hull with their pathetic arrows as i sailed atop their bloated corpses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

victrix posted:

I'm ok with this, assembling and painting mandolls to play a game is terrible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHq-v4HJVqE

• Locked thread