Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Congrats to everyone getting hired/promotions! :woop:

I hate my job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
I would also like one of those bottle openers. I'll toss down whatever the cost.

In other news, I think I have food poisoning. Helped a buddy move a mattress and some other stuff into his new place and he took me out to a fairly out of the way sushi restaurant. Cue a few hours later and it feels like my stomach is about to turn inside out and I'm firing out the back end hard enough to pressure wash the driveway.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
The first punk CD I ever got was Green Day - Dookie. I think I was 12 or 13 at the time, anyways I made the mistake of letting my dad listen to half of Long view and he snapped the CD in half.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Coredump posted:

Did your old man not listen to rock music growing up? Goddamn the pusherman? Cocaine? Lord help him if he heard Parliment Funkadelic, his head would have exploded.

Yep. Cream, Zeppelin, Hendrix, Stones he's into all of them. Honestly there really is no point in explaining the hypocrisy to him, as far as he is concerned music, technology, cars, society stopped in 1969.

I learned long ago that I could save myself a whole lot of hassle if I treated my parents like mushrooms.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

LloydDobler posted:

That's so lame, hell I encourage my daughter to listen to subversive and counterculture music. And I took her to three concerts in March. We agree on 90% of the music we listen to, it makes car rides awesome (which we do a lot of because her mom moved 40 loving minutes across town from me). Although that Bruno Mars can eat a dick. Of course she has to like him because everyone at school does.

Meh, it's too late to do anything about it now. The best I could do is hope to raise my future kids differently, you know with like encouragement and positive reinforcement and stuff like that.

The old man and I still get along well enough as I do like muscle cars, and 60's rock. And as long as I don't start topics like "why the gen I Corvette was an important car for 1950's America" or "Eric Clapton was a better guitarist than Hendrix" then things are pretty smooth.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 5, 2015

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
All of that to get to the air filter?!? :psyboom:

I'm so glad I'm not really into supercars

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

CornHolio posted:

We all need to simplify, then add lightness. :v:

Then fly headlong into a tree when one of our legs breaks off while running full speed. :v:

I'm 217 right now and have started going to the gym on the regular and most importantly cut out drinking pretty much entirely. I normally don't have the garbage food problem, but when you end up drinking 6-8 beers a night (that's 1000-1500 calories!) then get drunk-hungry you tend to put on a fair amount of weight. It's all going to go though, I've stopped drinking, and I'm going to the gym on the regular.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Tide posted:

If I drop sugar, I can drop weight like no tomorrow. But I have a vicious sweet tooth at times. When I gave up sugar for Lent, hoooooooooooooooly moly, was I a grumpy wreck for a week or two. If I stop eating breads, pastas, and sugars, the fat basically melts off me. Combine that with a 5/2 fasting program and I can drop a significant amount of weight pretty quickly.

But the minute I introduce breads, pastas, and sugars back into my diet, I start back packing on the pounds.

I could do a fruit and vegetable diet pretty easily; my biggest hindrance is my wife who is a pasta/bread/carb fiend. I don't eat much steak, and the majority of the red meat in my diet are burgers. I do eat a good amount of chicken, though.

The wife is a bread fiend and I love pasta. We're trying not to cut it out entirely because of the whole "once you eat it again you gain weight" but we're simply not eating so much of it. Portion control and all that.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Tide posted:

And it's damned hard to find anything to eat or drink that doesn't have one or the other in it.

Learn to cook. The only way you know what's going into your food is if you make it yourself. It's also cheaper to buy the ingredients for things, than it is to buy that same thing processed and already made (for most things anyways, I know stuff like sriracha sauce is cheaper to buy than it is to make.)

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

T1g4h posted:

Yo, racing sim dudes, what would you guys suggest I get if I wanted a decent wheel to play DiRT Rally with? I'm picking up a GTX 970 + another 8GB of RAM in a few weeks, after that I think I'm gonna splurge on a nice wheel / pedal combo. I kinda want to get a Logitech G27 but I don't know if I can justify that $240 price. I mean, it looks loving rad and I really really really want it, but is there anything decent that's a bit less pricy?

I have a G25, it's the model before the G27 but it works just as well. you could try searching CL or ebay for one for cheaper.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
A good friend of mine has been doing too well lately (a lot of big poo poo happened to him all at once), so I went out drinking with him to let him vent and whatnot. I've got a massive hangover today, and I woke up to remember its my anniversary.

I think today is going to be a rough one.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

MustardFacial posted:

A good friend of mine has been doing too well lately (a lot of big poo poo happened to him all at once), so I went out drinking with him to let him vent and whatnot. I've got a massive hangover today, and I woke up to remember its my anniversary.

I think today is going to be a rough one.

I was right, today is a rough one. I feel like loving garbage and I still have to change the oil and battery in my sister's Rabbit.

The Locator posted:

enjoy being able to just do whatever I want to do most of the time.

This is what I miss most about being single. going out with friends on a whim to come home and play dota 2 while smashed was a real good time.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 7, 2015

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Now that it's been sunny for a week and the ground is dry, its time to start renovating the yard. Step 1: fix the sunken spot in the driveway and prep the ground to widen/extend it.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
How much plastidip does it take to paint 4 18" wheels? I feel like doing something stupid.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

T1g4h posted:

The thing that bugs me more than anything is that this exact thing has happened to him before. He even said she gives him the same vibe as one of his other cheating whore exes. Like, he's been in this same loving situation and knows how that turned out :(

He even cited one of my previous relationships and was like "Look at you and (girl), you took her back." To which I replied "Yeah, and she hosed me over again and I spent like a good year of my life in pure misery and now I don't even speak to her. Look how that turned out!"

I dunno man. He has to make his own mistakes and he's not gonna listen to me or anyone else. I'll be here for him if and when he needs, but I made my feelings on her and this situation perfectly clear and wished him good luck with it all. Dude's one of the few close friends I have left, I don't want to see him get hosed over again but I can't very well force him to not do this :sigh:

Sometimes, all you can is warn people of a mistake. It's not until they experience the consequences that they actually learn anything (and even then it can take a few times).

In other news:

Yard progress! The whole backyard has been graded and now it's time to remove all of the track marks, small divots, smooth everything out and bring all of the rocks and branches to the surface. They have specialized machines for this, but why would I spend money on renting one of those when I can just as easily lash 4 logs together and tow it behind a backhoe?

There is one issue with doing it this way, this will bring all of the rocks and twigs and poo poo to the surface but I have no way of gathering all of that poo poo up without getting out and picking it up by hand. I've got some ideas bouncing around about how to pick that stuff up, but we'll see what happens.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 12, 2015

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I just watched the original F&F movie. I got the blu-ray digital hd bundle of the first 6 movies off Amazon for $35. Enjoyed the hell out of it. I will now be the guy yelling 'nobody likes the tuna!' For the next week.

Still makes me laugh

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

kastein posted:

I had no intention of restarting this bullshit debate since it is basically the reason I stopped following this thread a while ago.

However.

Here is my stance on this. The setup we had previously was obviously pretty loving broken. So is the setup we have now. This will be hosed forever, because lobbyists and corporations are in charge of our government, not actual representatives who actually have the happiness of their constituents in mind. That goes for BOTH sides of the aisle, so I laugh when people start pointing fingers at each party.

I would rather have either a free market that actually loving works (and a government not afraid to hit corporations with a really big hammer for price fixing, monopolistic/oligopolistic behavior, etc, which MUST go with something like that, or you get robber barons) OR single payer. I don't particularly care which at this point. This half and half bend over for whoever bribes Washington the most bullshit has got to go.

Sadly neither party has any of this in mind and they will continue arguing this bullshit and taking bribes until things start catching fire and people start rioting. They simply do not give a rats rear end about us anymore - on either side. We will have corrupt, byzantine, hosed up regulations and ridiculous boondoggles, and huge bureaucratic agencies that answer to no one and spend billions on a loving simple website that doesn't work right, all in charge. Is that better or worse than having to buy your own insurance? Well, that depends on if you get hosed over like Rhyno did, for absolutely no reason, with no one to appeal to.

PS: we could pay for a year of ACA plus a little, even at its projected 2025 cost, with just the money wasted on the F35 project.

I'm gonna move to the moon, gently caress this noise and gently caress 99% of our government. The only good politician is a dead one. I strongly believe that only those who pass a lie detector test indicating they want absolutely nothing to do with exercising power and are capable of accepting a logical argument they did not originally agree with should be allowed to run our government.

In closing, vote Dennis Kucinich / Rand Paul / Bernie Sanders triumvirate 2016. They might be nuts, and complete polar opposites, but at least you know they're saying what they think and are too crazy to be bribed.

aaaaand that's the last D&D bullshit you'll hear out of me in this thread because guess what? I should have been asleep already.

I know it's not much better, but I'm pretty glad I live in Canada. For now anyways.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
I might not have enough land to start a small hobby farm :( Now I don't get to have a tractor :(

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Got my bike finally started. Now I can go kill myself :v:

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
I rode my bike for the first time ever today. The thing is unstable as poo poo, and I keep forgetting that there is a back brake but it was pretty decent fun overall. I may do this again sometime. It sounds pretty cool too.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Jesus Christ bike people are worse than car people. A buddy of mine told me yesterday that if I ever seriously rode a Honda Ruckus around he'd stop talking to me.

I told him to go gently caress himself, I'll ride/drive whatever I drat well please. I don't give a poo poo how it makes me look, I'm having fun. Ruckus' are dope :colbert:

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

leica posted:

People are loving idiots, I drive a Miata and ride a scooter, think I give a poo poo what people think?

The funniest part was after everyone ragged on me about getting a scooter they all wanted to take it for a ride. My brother gave me the most poo poo, and recently he told me he wants to buy it if I ever sell it.

Also if you like the Ruckus, look into a Yamaha C3, EFI and liquid cooled and doesn't have the Ruckus tax, got mine for 900 :)

I like interesting poo poo. I like the Ruckus because it's as close as a manufacturer would ever get to making a Mad Max bike, I like the Honda Cub/Passport because they are quite literally "the wheels of Asia", I like the Trabant because they made a loving car out of cotton. poo poo like Lambo's and Ferrari's are boring to me.

I couldn't give a poo poo if you paid a shop to turbo your FRS just so you could have "one of the first 4 in Canada". gently caress off, you don't like cars. You like status symbols. Tell me about how you keep your shitpile Civic on the road instead.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 19, 2015

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Phone posted:

Roadkill or Top Gear? (i know your answer in my heart)

I like them both for different reasons.

I like Roadkill because they are doing the things that I would do if I had no concern for money or time. It's just a good car show. Top Gear is not a car show, but sometimes it's funny to watch three grown men fall down a hill.

MrChips posted:

So now that it's been a couple of days since I've seen Mad Max, I can only think of one criticism; not enough blower noise. Seriously, not having one of the cars wailing like an air raid siren feels like a missed opportunity.
I had the exact same thought as I was watching the movie. I didn't think any of the cars sounded visceral enough.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Sigma X posted:

I wasn't sure if I was gonna just tolerate the new guy at work or be friendly with him, but then he told me he's not relocating from his house 1.5 hours away from where he works now because it's a 1400 sq ft place with a 6-car garage he had built after he bought it, and it's got a Scout, '68 Beetle, Hyundai Veloster, Ford F150, and a(?) motorcycle in it. He's also apparently got an unspecified car and two bikes at his parent's house. I told him I wanna build a car after I get a place with sufficient space, Locost derived vehicle with probably 400+ HP and his response was "You're gonna end up dead pretty quick" followed by a "good idea".

Best buds.

This guy is a cool guy.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Bajaha posted:

What the hell happened to selling normal wired mice that aren't poverty spec, tiny "laptop" mice, or blinged out for the 13-y/o gaming crowd. Seriously, almost every drat mouse that's a little bit nicer is wireless or has 10+ buttons. I just want to get something nice with a couple side buttons, nice scroll wheel, and adjustable dpi setting. Or it's all MADDD LED's EVERYWHERE and ANGLES, WOOOO! on a drat mouse. Took my old relaitvely simple Logitech G5 to work since the adjustable dpi is nice when doing CAD work, and it's a bitch to find a nice replacement for home.

Ended up with a Logitech G602, I guess it was time to compromise.

I've had 2 of these thing and maintain they are the best mouse in the world

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Guys, I'm out of beer but im too drunk to drive to the store. What do I dop?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
gusy, i wnet looking for my 16gb ubs stick and foumnd a bpotter of Jameson in a drawere. i;m celebtrating!

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

CommieGIR posted:

Gluten intolerance is pretty rare, and most of the anti-gluten stuff is just new age woo.

Get the loving endoscopy and let the gastroenterologist do his job.

My mom and sister are celiac so I had to take a gluten test. It was just a blood test for whatever antibodies for me.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

CommieGIR posted:

I'm not saying celiac disease doesn't occur, it does. But its not as common as all the 'Gluten Free' stuff showing up in restaurants and promoted by magazines make it out to be.

Oh don't misunderstand, I'm not ragging on you I think the whole gluten free fad is a gigantic load of bullshit. I'm just saying when I had a gluten test don't it was just a blood test, not an endoscopy. So there are other options for finding out.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

No vacation time, sick days or paid holidays here. :(
I was hired so my parents could gently caress off to Hawaii every 6 weeks. I don't know why I agreed to do this.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Good Luck! It's going to be hard but you can do it through sheer force of will. I did.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
My mom has been in Hawaii for the past few days on a ladies golfing holiday and my dad has been at home alone, so I invited him over tonight and cooked him a cajun BBQ chicken with roasted rosemary potatoes and a whole lot of beers.

We soon decided it was time to build a campfire in my backyard. It's been a good night. :)

[edit] Holy poo poo please get better STR. loving take care of yourself.

[edit2] one time a cop pulled me over and asked to search my car. I said "that depends, are you going to put everything back the way you found it?" he said yes, and I let him search. He found nothing and then helped me put everything back. I thanked him after for sticking to his word. He seemed really appreciative of that. It's true that not all cops are bad but you can generally tell when you're going to meet a prick cop within 5 seconds of meeting him. My general rule of thumb is "most cops are pricks until they prove otherwise because to them you are guilty until you prove otherwise."

[edit3] I've been think a lot about supermotos lately. I have an old dual sport, I think I might convert it.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 07:44 on May 23, 2015

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

I am in for this 100,000%

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
35 loving thousand dollars!?!? What in the holy gently caress is wrong with your country? Aren't you supposed to be a superpower?

I knew the american healthcare system was hosed up, corrupt, exploitative, and expensive but holy poo poo to charge a dude 35 grand for nearly having a heart attack is the next level of "hosed up poo poo"

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

CharlesM posted:

What was the point of that movie. Uhhhhh what are you guys smoking? Inhaling chrome?

One part of that movie is George miller saying "gently caress you Hollywood, thus is how you make an action movie"

One part of it is a masterclass in "show don't tell" plot development.

The third part is a loving double decker Cadillac on 60" duallys with two twin turbo engines.

Tim Horton's coffee has nicotine in it.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 26, 2015

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Streetlight Manifesto is coming to town this Saturday. I kinda want to go but I also kind of don't.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Mooseykins posted:

Canada i looked into the most, and am still toying with the idea of moving there. I can get a working holiday visa, or get a visa as an eligible skilled worker (qaulified mechanic), orrrr i could marry my crazy ex and get in pretty easily. (Obviously not the best idea.)

My wife moved with me back to Canada (lived in Leicester before), and now about 3 years later she says she loves Canada way more than lovely England.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Joe Boxer, boxer briefs from Costco.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

nm posted:

If you're doing anything to salmon beyond maybe putting a bit of salt and oil on it, putting it on the grill (skin on), and not overcooking it (slightly undercooked is better), you're doing it wrong.
Fancy poo poo is for lesser fishes.

This. Salmon only need to be cooked with butter, a bit of oil, and at the most a slice of lemon. It tastes great without slathering it in marinades.

I grew up and live in BC. In certain places salmon is pretty much all you ever catch.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Tide posted:

I have the iPhone 6 plus. No go on the FLIR ONE. Also, no HD within a 100 miles rents them.

You could always try making your own or get one for $300

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

SouthsideSaint posted:

Learned how to grind valves on a small block today. The machine I was using was easily from the fortys or older. It has made me want to work in a machine shop. But most of them use CNC and automated machines. I was tought with old equipment and always get shot down when I apply. Oh well I guess ill stick to fixing hot rods for old dudes.

I always think I missed my calling by not dedicating myself to being a machinist, or a toolmaker or a prop maker or something. Instead I spent so much time trying to shoot for the stars and missing that I've ended up with little bits of conceptual knowledge over a million different subjects that's gotten me in a dead end job that offers zero fulfillment.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 28, 2015

• Locked thread