Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Gimpanse posted:

Wait what? The pocket edition was always C++, wasn't it? And even the UWP based Windows 10 app is C++, not C#.
Unless I am really mistaken here.

Whoops, yeah it's C++. I got a bit confused at the mention of C# earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
The Ferret Business shop makes me wish there was a better shop mod. I basically want a HQM book but themed as a catalog, and a block I can set up to automatically buy stuff, so I can pump money into it and it automatically pumps out, say, iron ore.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Mr Scumbag posted:

So I've built my FTB Infinity Evolved base in an RFTools dimension and I need around 1300 rf/t to keep it running.

What I want to do is to have a completely independent power source powering it in the overworld that will never require any maintenance or input from me (so no deletable fuel, etc.) so I can just leave it and never think about it again.

What would be the best way to go about that? I was thinking solar panels, but any panel good enough to put out that amount of power is not just expensive to craft but ridiculously fiddly and time consuming without an autocrafter set up. They also have the limitation of only generating power during the day. I also thought of a tree farm but I'd rather not go that route cause it can cause lag.

Any ideas?

A second RFTools dimension, always raining, always thundering. Dig down to bedrock and put a Immersive Engineering lightning rod there. Run steel fence all the way up and fill the entire top layer of that chunk in more steel fence. You'll start getting lightning strikes every minute or so for 16m rf/ea, and you can hook more lightning rods to the fence grid in the sky if you need power faster. Drop your favorite chunkloader in that chunk, add a tesseract, and you're good.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Mr Scumbag posted:

I've just spent the night doing what I can to make the lightning rod a viable overall power source, but it doesn't seem like a good bet. It's great for powering a few dimensions, for sure, but the limited output of 4096RF seems to be a total dealbreaker, even with 9 of them running together. They can't power my currently very modest base as well as my badass ender quarry without losing power in the buffer.

I have no idea where you're getting the 4096rf/t drain issue, mine are hooked to a tesseract on a Mekanism induction cell and drain in about two seconds. In my test world with a better cell it drains in one tick. Maybe check your power line? Or maybe it's been nerfed more on your pack, I'm still on Ferret Business.

central dogma posted:

I thought that the lightning rod was super nerfed after an update a few months back.

The lightning rod was nerfed to generate its own lightning strikes instead of intercepting normal lightning strikes. Before you could use a weather obelisk or a blood magic ritual to generate lightning on-command for 16mrf per strike per rod, which may have been a little broken. Now they basically just generate a charge every so often and play the lightning strike sound effect.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

How is RF power working without any of the CoFH stuff anyways?

I remember reading something about the RF API being ported to new versions extremely quickly but the rest of the mod taking a while to port.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Maiden posted:

Anything that uses the default crafting grid for crafting rather than their own special unique snowflake grid like a certain cooking mod is greatly benefitted from MFR's liquicrafter, which runs on a redstone clock for crafting actions, so makes it easier to automate things that need milk, water, so on.

As for crafting that doesn't need liquids, all the brainless auto crafting things are all basically versions of TE's cyclic assembler, take power and recipie and make it every so often, some of them have multiple slots so you can use it for more than one thing. If you're not going to go nuts with things like computercraft, I'd suggest using TE's fetching servers, which you can add limits to how much it'll fetch, so your system will never clog.

Does MFR sill have the problem where having more than one of its machines in a chunk kills your framerate? I had to swap to RFTools crafters in Ferret Business because of that.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

chairface posted:

Just planters/harvesters have that issue. Sewers can if their effective radii overlap. I don't know if those issues still apply, but they're easy enough to work around, regardless.

That's good to know, and is probably why everything started running better when I switched from 6x harvesters to 1x upgraded one.

OgNar posted:

Is that why all of my maps degenerate soon after I start to automate?
Because I use MFR extensively. And tend to stack farms in one chunk to keep less chunks loaded.

Speaking of, as my 2nd tier power gen I usually use a tree farm using the saplings in a forestry fermenter/still for ethanol and wood/charcoal into steam dynamos. But I seem to be getting jack for saplings this go. Anyone have a good layout for a tree farm? I am thinking either 2x2 dirt/slab squares or 2 dirt/2 slab rows might work.
For next time.

It's not a tree farm, but running a stuffed eggplant farm with 8x culinary generators was enough to get me by to Immersive Engineering crazy power gen.

e. If I was to redesign my culinary generator setup I'd use two upgraded harvesters sharing the same pipe, but seperated by a chunk boundry, like:

[f][h][d]|[h][f]
([f]=farmland, however much you need [h]=harvester [d]=duct of whatever kind you want |=chunk boundry

A gold upgrade in each should give you as many ingradients as you need.

Ignore me if you've done this before or you don't have HarvestCraft/ExUtilities.

double and also fake e. Do mega-rubber trees drop mega-rubber saplings? They would keep a harvester running for quite a while each and provide a shitload of saplings.

bbcisdabomb fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 7, 2016

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I always figured sacred rubber trees were a joke debug item that power crystals was going to remove, only he disappeared before he put out a version removing them. Skyboy and the other maintainers are probably just against removing anything that was in the mod for so long, even something as detrimental as sacred rubbers.

I miss power crystals. He was a fun guy in the modding scene and his MCF threads were always super laid-back. Plus he would have fixed the multiple harvester bugs in like a day, tops :sigh:

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Well I'm at least happy you're still around, even though you've moved on to other things. I had no idea the animals staring at their parents was intentional, I thought it was just normal Minecraft behavior. That's pretty awesome. Is it better or worse if I have the parents automatically fed into a slaughterhouse afterwards? :v:

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Googling around for what Vazkii uploaded eventually led me to this, so it's all been worth it.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Guys, Minna is still coming out, game dev takes a while!!!

I tried to play a 1.2.5 pack again a little while ago and I forgot how annoying making things in RedPower was. Each of those circuits take just way too many intermediate crafting steps.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Devor posted:

A nuclear bomb does 50x, but if it explodes you'll have a bad day

Well I've found my peakmoddedminecraft.txt right here.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

chairface posted:

Another good trick is to set up a buncha various machines you can manually input poo poo into but that will output into your AE system. Know you're gonna need a buncha silver dust for Enderium down the line? Drop a few stacks of silver ingots into the chest feeding a pulverizer whose outputs all go back into the same "all outputs into the ME" itemduct system.

You should always have a chest feeding round-robin to a bank of furnaces and another one going to a bank of pulverizers, IMO.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Sage Grimm posted:

A further step is making it look pretty but that's purely subjective. Some people don't mind the cobblestone aesthetic and exposed conduits going every which way. (Those people are WRONG!)

Got any guides or anything to help make automated stuff look pretty? I'm really super bad at it.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

how does this make you feel

unf oh yeah

Seriously that looks worse than the stuff I usually build, and that's saying something. also bc tanks lol

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Is there a 1.10 pack with Mystical Agriculture and Agricraft that I can steal some configs from? Skyfactory 3 is only missing Agricraft to be something close to my perfect pack.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Nevets posted:

SF3 doesn't really need Agricraft. You can get all the different seeds through mixing / nature essence, and if you want to speed up crop growth look into a Growth Crystal mk2 from Actually Additions. It is so stupidly fast that an Enderio farming station can't keep up with a 7x7 plot.

One of the people on the local server I'm on really loves Agricraft, so I'm going to add it in. I'd like to be able to grow MA and Botania flowers, but if I'd have to put in the effort to actually make the plants I'll just leave it limited to vanilla/HC.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
IIRC randomly-created dimentions have much lower power requirements so you can just keep popping to new dimensions until you find your uranium oceans.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

McFrugal posted:

Looks like that'll be useful for filling empty spaces more than actually storing things. Though it'd be amusing for that to be the only storage solution in a pack, haha.

I like the idea of combining a bunch of those with storage busses and building a warehouse. I want to be able to see exactly how much iron I have by walking out into the storage barn [sub]and discovering it empty because some rear end in a top hatfriendrear end in a top hat decided to make six hundred lightning rods.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Doesn't Storage Drawers have packing tape that you can use to move drawers?

You have to tape up the drawers then knock them out with an axe, and IIRC you have to remove the tape manually after you place them again. It makes tape really nice for moving your entire storage network somewhere else but I prefer chest transporters/dollies for moving one or two drawers at a time.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Dareon posted:

I've found I got kind of used to being able to generate all the resources I needed with bees, and now I just groan when I realize I need to go mining again. The problem is, I don't want to spend hours breeding bees. Mystical Agriculture looks promising, but I'm also a little iffy on mods adding several new resources I need to go mine. Would someone mind giving me a rundown on it, how hard it is to start up, and if it plays well with Agricraft?

MA doesn't integrate with Agricraft at all. 1.10 Agricraft is in a bit of a situation right now where they changed up how the recipes are handled and they seem to be trying to crowdsource new plants, but there's just not enough 1.10 players to get the massive compatibility they had in 1.7.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

wargames posted:

just force people to learn ipv6 and assign everyone a a subnet like a /150. But that isn't minecraft moding enough so ipx or appletalk!

AE3 is going to do away with their "channel" bullshit because people found it tedious. Instead, all machines will be accessable in a manner based on but not identical to LDAP. Automatic configuration is gated behind Nether Stars and involves setting up a Windows domain, which is fully incompatible with the manually connected networks you've already made.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

TriggerHappy posted:

I can't figure out how to get Refined Storage auto crafting to work. I have a crafter pointing into the top of a furnace, with a pattern I encoded in the Processing Pattern Encoder. I have an importer on the bottom of the furnace to pull out the results, and and exporter in the back inserting coal blocks. When I request a craft of glass (or anything) the job shows up in the Crafting Monitor with "No Machine Found".

I was able to get auto crafting working fine with solderers, but the furnace just refuses to work. I've also tried Alloy Smelters and vanilla furnaces. Anyone have any ideas?

Side view.

Pattern.

You need a Processing recipe from the Processing Pattern terminal. Anything g that can't be created in a crafting grid has to be made in a Processing terminal.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I do recall crashing that server when I found a bug to quicky reproduce magical crop seeds by ramming one with a piston accelerated by lilypads of fertility. I had run out of capacity for seeds and the rest were just laying out everywhere and killing the server with lag.

I remember seeing that unholy thing, it was awesome. It's what got me started on lilypads myself!

That was the server where I discovered you could run a MFR laser drill on survivalist generators. It only takes close to 32 stacks of generators, guys! :downs:

That was also the server where someone walked up to me and tossed me a pill while saying "Here, eat this!" It gave me two seconds of nausea. He looked at me strangely and said "Weird, that should have been enough ketamine to kill you."
Apparently is was only half a lethal dose. The second pill did me in. Science!

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

frenzy posted:

with Excompressum I believe this is for the skins it puts on the little players inside it's machines. I have no idea what beyond is doing. I don't want to look

I really like the idea behind the excompressum players-in-cubes, it's a cute little idea and I like that you can feed them to make them work faster.
Then I tried to put another one down and I started getting racist skins, naked skins, and an actual Nazi. I had to move that drat thing around like five times just to get a non-offensive skin on the little dude.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

If the skin bothers you, rename it with a name tag and it will choose the skin for that player.

I didn't know about that, thanks. Time to enslave myself for the good of me :getin:

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Here's an odd request: Anyone know of a good modpack (preferably 1.7.10) that starts you near a structure that's fairly well made/good for exploring, or a decent world for doing just that?

I ask because I'm having some buddies over in a few hours to experience the Vive for the first time, and Minecraft is still one of the best ways to demonstrate a sense of physical presence and scale. Using Vivecraft for this, so pretty much anything will do -- looks like my old saves are gone, though, and I'm on the clock right now.

Maybe one of the Material Energy packs? I remember ME^3 looking really cool from the get-go.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Now that's a cool way to do autosifting.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Wolfsbane posted:

Yep. The original FTB came out before command blocks, so the beast was actually a giant mechanical computer built from redpower logic.

The beast being a complicated mess of logic blocks and pipes was probably my favorite thing about it, tbh. It was super cool to finish off the challenges, watch the door lower into the floor, and go around to see how exactly everything was laid out.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
FTB also started you with a dark matter axe, which is something I wish more skyblocks did. You're going to be chopping trees down for hours anyway, might as well make it not take quite as long. It would go well with Progressive Automation as well, since you could slap it in a farming block and not have to worry about it breaking.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

redleader posted:

Jeez, that dude's absolutely pumping skyblock packs out.

Part of it is how simple most of those packs are. Crop Block could probably be completed in an afternoon, and the quest book has no flavor text or rewards, or even basic helpful reminders like to make sure you're trying to crossbreed sugar cane onto sand.

That said, I'm still enjoying Crop Block and will probably give the chicken one a try sometime.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

runchild posted:

If one wished to gate access to Mekanism behind Immersive Engineering, the obvious thing would be to make Osmium unobtainable until significant progress has been made within IE. The only vector I can think of for that is the Excavator, but drilling for core samples has potential to be tedious and very not fun if the mineral deposit RNG isn’t in your favor.

Any other ideas of ways to gate Osmium? Also, I don’t want to use Game Stages, I want to set up natural roadblocks and progression paths.

Make Osmium only able to be smelted in an arc furnace, maybe? Or only allow crushed osmium to be smelted, and disallow non-IE crushers, but that's still not a big problem.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Is there a better way to get diamonds in early MSB3 than charcoal pit-> coal -> diamond? I'm most of the way through Botania, another guy on the server has most of AA going, and we have a massive farm set up so we have decently easy access to emeralds, but now I need a stack or so of diamonds to finish anything.

The server is on a ~3 month old version, if it matters.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

You can get diamonds from rock crushing and cleaning as well.

I got a few from there, but going the charcoal route is way faster. I'll just use it as an excuse to upgrade my treefarm then.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Wooden crucibles don't need heat. All they do is "melt" saplings and leaves into water, no other inputs necessary. You're thinking of the crucible made from porcelain clay that you use for lava. That one you do need a torch for.

Ex nihilo makes no sense and has little to no consistency. Someone should make a better "get resources from the void" mod, and Sky Resources 2 isn't it.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Falcon2001 posted:

Ah man I love SkyResources2. It's 100% better than Ex Nihilo in my opinion - or at the very least, I really enjoy the core concept of 'it upgrades over time and gets less tedious', which Ex Nihilo just...you automate it, and you can build a bunch of it and that's it. SR2 has issues, but I really enjoy the core loops a ton better than EN.

I like Ex Nihilo because it gets out of the way faster. SkyResources 2 requires more management and upgrades so I have to keep it in my brain, while Ex Nihilo just gives me resources so I can do interesting things.

Maybe it's because I've played Ex Nihilo more, or maybe my brain is broken. Who knows.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I'm playing the Direwolf20 1.12 pack and getting crashes when opening the Blood Magic book. Is there a fix for that?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

BadMedic posted:

Edit: also if anyone else is having problems with moving items with the scroll wheel go to Mod Options, search for "Simple Inventory sorting", click config and disable "Mouse-wheel movement". There are 2 mods that add mouse wheel movement and turning this one off solves the conflict.

I thought it was just my craptastic laptop dropping frame. Thanks!

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Rutibex posted:

There is also Custom Stuff 4, which lets you make custom furnaces and crafting tables with their own separate recipes. You can't really tie it into other mods power systems, but thats basically all you need to make a custom "machine". The furnaces don't need to be powered by typical combustibles, you can make them burn batteries or Xg-5 crystals or whatever you come up with:
https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/custom-stuff-4
https://github.com/cubex2/customstuff4/wiki

I know what you mean, but I'm getting a real kick out of the thought of Steve shoving a handful of batteries into a "circuit maker" and lighting them on fire.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I figured I'd ask before I tried: Is there a way to dump all EMC values from ProjectE? Follow-up, is there something similar without necessarily using ProjectE?

I'd like to use something like EMC values as a basis for sales costs for NPC trades.

Why not use EXP as currency? That way you get "money" for killing monsters, and you can even do what you want with vanilla commands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Blind Duke posted:

A friend of mine is in the hospital and feeling real restless, pondered about getting into modded Minecraft. She hasn't played in a few years so it would be neat to see the various new things without dumping a pile of bullshit on her lap. Any packs that showcase cool newish mods without going into the weeds of progression? Without being the lagfest that are kitchen sink packs?

How long has it been? Baby's First Space Race is still the gold standard for a Starting Minecraft Modpack, IMO. It is two years old, though.