Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The question isn't whether the Samurai job is good, it's which character looks best in it.

It's Krile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Leviathan's biggest advantage is that a lot of enemies in the final dungeon are weak to water, so he'll actually outdamage every other summon there. Still a bit situational, though.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Dragoons aren't bad, but they don't synergise well with most other classes and there aren't that many good spears in the game. If you time it right, you can do some fun stuff with Jump though.

Edit: Yeah, what Prism said.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Thiefs are superior to Monks simply because they get the Flee ability. Never having to worry about random encounters is nice, especially once you reach the third world.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Hedera Helix did a run last year with four White Mages. I can't think of anything more tedious until you get access to Holy.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

I wonder if that could actually make the early game tougher due to some jobs not getting any equipment until the end of the first world. What's the worst case scenario there?

By the time you reach the Fire Ship you'll have access to just about every weapon type, so it's not a big deal. Besides, everyone except White Mages and Monks can equip knives and those are incredibly common. Bards will be dead-weight until you have access to songs, though.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Never fleeing from battles is fine until you reach Exdeath's castle and run into three blue dragons.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Four White Mages is technically stronger by the endgame, but you'll commit suicide long before you reach that point.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Four Monks generally have an easy time with Garula. Both Chakra and Focus are excellent skills to have in that fight. It's a real pain with four Thieves, though.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Supremezero posted:

And because he's DD, he must counter kill Archeoaevis, rather than simply murdering him due to being level 32.

To be fair, he probably didn't expect Counter to fail nine times in a row. The chance of that happening is about 0.2%.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Looks like Squid will probably finish last, unless he gets amazingly lucky in the third world. The biggest question now is whether DD's level advantage will allow him to make up the time difference.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Dareon posted:

e: I've kinda forgotten the actual plot flow, I am supposed to just go "That wall blocking the way to the Ancient Library is gone now, let's go exploring!" right?

If you talk to Cid at the Fire Ship, he'll be super depressed and move into the Karnak pub. One of the patrons there mentions that Cid's grandson is at the library, so that's your plot hook.

ComposerGuy posted:

What's the general strat for Summoner? (I have Knight/Summoner so far). I'd like Call! to be useful I think, which I imagine involves passing up some optional summons. What's the best way to optimize?

Just use this opportunity to get every summon. It's a fun little sidequest, and they all have at least some situational use.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

MaskedHuzzah posted:

Okay, I just finished the Fire Ship. All my jobs are Berserkers. How do I beat the Sandworm other than getting something from the job fair or just trusting to luck?
And for that matter, Byblos/library?

If you value your sanity, use the job fair. Your only other option is grinding. Lots and lots of grinding.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Supremezero posted:

WHY IS BAHAMUT NOT A DRAGON

You know what else isn't a dragon?

Great Dragon.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Bufuman posted:

Only if you're really, really patient and lucky, since your only non-Berserker source of damage would be Trident Jumps from your Dragoon, and I'm not sure that'll get past his defense.

The Trident is lightning elemental and therefore ignores Omega's defense entirely. It would still be next to impossible, since each jump does little damage, Omega has very nasty counterattacks, and two party members are effectively useless.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

CapitalistPig posted:

I'm seeing everyone saying bard is good but I'm having some troubles as mine is somewhat useless, I'm in the Ronkan ruins right now my team is Zerk/RedMage/Zerk/Bard

The Zerks are strong enough for now and hit hard with their death sickles, My RM has pretty much been acting as a white mage for the most part keeping me alive I have romeo's ballad, alluring air, and mighty march and have played all world 1 Pianos.

Any suggestions on my bard pulling a little more weight?

Everything in the Ronka Ruins (and almost everything in the entire game) is vulnerable to Stop. Once you have Romeo's Ballad, you never need to heal again outside of boss fights because nothing will ever be able to attack you.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Nihilarian posted:

I recall from last year that Time mixes really well with Dragoon. I think one of the spells lets them skip the air time of Jump?

Quick makes your jumps instantaneous, so you basically get four turns in one.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Edward_Tohr posted:

Hmm. I guess put !Zeninage on everyone, go slowly until they're just about to enter the danger zone, wait for everyone to be ready, then have them all go at once?

Just use !Zeninage twice. There you go, fight's over.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Thoughts on Knight/Ninja/Samurai/Dragoon chaos run: I forgot how annoying a team with no magic or trickery (RIP !Mix) could be even if the jobs you do have are strong.

I know what you mean. My team is Knight/Berserker/Ninja/Samurai, and while I haven't had any trouble so far, it's been a pretty boring run. There's little to do other than attack over and over again. Early on, I had at least some variety thanks to scrolls, but now that I'm in the third world even they can't compete with simple auto-attacks. Though to be fair, going for the Brave Blade certainly didn't help in that regard. Having to fight every random encounter is rather tedious.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Amgard posted:

Knight is even worse because of Brave Blade, though if you have a Ninja you should be going for Chicken knife and just slap Defender/XCab on the Knight. A no-run game is not really worth the 10 seconds of fun you have seeing a double fisted brave blade do ridic damage.

Yeah, in retrospect giving the Ninja the Chicken Knife and Twinlance would have been the better choice. Especially since Smoke would have allowed me to run from everything in the third world. I mostly went for the Brave Blade because I never used it before, and I didn't expect it to be quite as tedious.

Ah well, it still worked out in the end.

Hopefully, the next run will give me a bit more variety.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

oldskool posted:

Summon/Zerk/Zerk/Geo

Methinks I have a bunch of grinding to do in world 3!

Shouldn't be that bad, actually. A Berserker with the Rune Axe and level 6 summon does insane damage, and you can just turn your Geomancer into a second summoner. It'll be a bit monotonous though, since you can't really change your strategy much.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

You can't steal daggers, but the skeletons have them as rare drops. It's a 1/16 chance, I believe, so it might take a while. You don't really need more than one for Siren, though.

Edit: Beaten like four Thieves fighting Garula.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

FairGame posted:

Tips for Gilgamesh on Big Bridge? Knight/Zerker/Beastmaster/Dancer.

I easily get to him buffing the hell out of himself, but then he spams jump until I die.

If I recall correctly, the Shell Bears in Exdeath's castle do a lot of damage when you release them. Catch two of those and use them as soon as Gilgamesh finished buffing. That should do the trick.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Just to make sure, there's no way to learn 1000 Needles in the first world without Control, right?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

Anyone got any ideas for Shinryu with a Ninja, Ranger, Geomancer, and Bard? No way of Berserking him that I can think of.

It should be possible to beat Shinryu in a straighforward fight with this team, but if you're having a lot of trouble, you can always fall back on the Zombie strategy. Give one of your party members a Reflect Ring and let them be zombified by one of the necromancers in the area. When you engage Shinryu, use the Hide ability to remove the other three party members from the field. The zombified character can't be killed and the Reflect Ring ensures that Shinryu will eventually kill himself. It takes a while and is not very interesting, but it's a guaranteed victory.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

You know what the worst thing about this game is? That one guy in Phantom Village who's just barely fast enough to always block your way.

Screw you, buddy. :argh:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Ghost-Slug posted:

Is it worth farming for a flame rod/flame rods in the Tower of Walse for future rod breaks? I have Monk/Time Mage so far.

Don't bother. There are very few item drops in this game that are worth farming for. Off the top of my head:

Death Sickles if you have a Berserker
Reflect Rings and Staffs of Light for a team struggling against Exdeath
Turtle Shells and Dragon Fangs if you have a Chemist
Potentially the Power Staff if you have a Red/Time Mage

There's probably one or two more that I'm forgetting, but everything else can either be bought or is not worth the effort.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Simply Simon posted:

As an aside, can Ninja scrolls kill Omnicient? Or do I have to Mage Masher silence him, was that the trick? Just for the future.

Scrolls will cause him to reset. The Mage Masher will silence Omniscient, but it'll wear off after a few turns. With that team, your best bet is sending everyone but the Berserker up the magic tower and giving them all Hermes Sandals + Gil Toss. That way you should be able to do enough damage to kill Omniscient while he's still silenced.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 28, 2015

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Today, I got two Mirage Vests just by going through the Island Shrine with Mug + Chicken Knife. Sometimes the RNG likes you, and sometimes it doesn't.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Today I learned that you can't target your own team when breaking rods. There goes my strategy for Omega.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

pretty soft girl posted:

What's the best location to farm for gil at the end of world 1? I want to prep some flame rings and 750 rods for world 2. Are wild nakks still the best choice or are there faster locations by that point?

Nakks are still your best bet. There are encounters which yield more gil, but they're not as common or as easy. There's really no reason to ever farm for Flame Rings, though.

Bregor posted:

Bah, wanted to know my full team (and if I should go Chicken Knife of Brave Blade) and got Knight / Berserker / Geomancer / Samurai. I'm thinking Brave Blade, no?

You have no way of bypassing the Chicken Knife's flee effect, so the Brave Blade would be the superior choice. The question is whether you're willing to fight every single encounter just to get a weapon that's a bit better than the Excalibur.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Bregor posted:

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I don't mind fighting every battle and with Equip Swords I can use Excal on someone else (not sure about BB, never had it before).

Giving your Berserker either the Brave Blade or the Excalibur is a solid choice, since you have no way of increasing her magic for the Rune Axe.

Come to think of it, the Geomancer might actually do decently well with a Rune Axe or Rune Sword. Never tried that.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

D_W posted:

Is there any more powerful sword then the Coral Sword I can get at this point? It's elemental damage isn't very helpful. I found an Ancient Sword for my one MK, but I'd like something better for the other one. Is there anything good that can drop from enemies?

Those two are the most powerful swords in the first world. Just move on with the story, you'll get an upgrade relatively soon.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Four Hermes Sandals are always a good investment. The Island Shrine has the Beastkiller whip, and in Istory Falls you can find a second Aegis Shield and the Titan Axe.

Edit: Omniscient shouldn't be too bad if you can find a monster that casts Berserk upon being released.

2nd Edit: I completely forgot, since you have a Dancer, you could go to Phoenix Tower and steal one or two Rainbow Dresses. They're fantastic armour pieces that protect against confusion and boost your Sword Dance chance.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 29, 2015

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah the only thing that's even remotely valuable in the Trench is the Flame Ring, but at that point of the game you've already beaten the crystals which is really the only place you might've needed one anyway. I've done the Trench one time in my past two years of Fiestas.

But... but dwarves.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Bufuman posted:

New questions: With a team of Blue Mage/Ranger/Ranger/Chemist, is it worth triggering the fight with Gilgamesh fight in Exdeath's Castle? Genji Armor won't benefit me at all, but the Shield, maybe. And will he be in the Void later if I skip this one?

Fighting Gilgamesh will give you the Excalipoor, which is really good when you combine it with Goblin Punch. That's the only real reason to kill him with your team. Well, that and the dialogue.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I wish I had a screenshot of Exdeath saying "I have disguised myself as a splinter, waiting for just this moment". That's probably my favourite line from any Final Fantasy.

Dragonatrix posted:

Yeah, this is definitely an easy triple crown. Bit of RNG in trying to get the Dark Spark to stick, but between Golem and Mighty Guard I could not lose unless I ran out of Elixirs and Ethers somehow. Which since only 2 people were using them was hella unlikely.

Nice job. Between Shinryu's high level and Dark Sparks abysmal hit rate, that must have taken a lot of patience.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Didn't they fix most of the bugs in the European version?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Mustard Iceman posted:

Have fun with Ifrit and probably Soul Cannon.

Hide trivialises Soul Cannon. Ifrit is gonna be a pain, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Bufuman posted:

Why do I have to wait until freakin' Karnak to buy Flails? Magissa and Forza are going to be shits that take forever to kill. To say nothing of Garula. :negative:

Magissa is vulnerable to silence, and protect takes care of Forza and Garula, but yeah, they'll still take a long time to kill.

Honestly, the early game up to the Water Crystal is kind of boring for most classes. With White Mages it's nearly impossible to lose, but every fight is a drawn out affair. Meanwhile, four Knights or Monks just go through the section on autopilot, and Black Mages just abuse the enemy's elemental weakness.

Oddly enough, four Thieves is probably the most interesting option at this point. You have little offense or defense, so you really have to make every turn count and properly use potions. Two of your party members won't even have weapons at the start, which creates a unique dynamic. The only downside is the grinding you have to do to beat Magissa.

InfernoBlade posted:

Welp I just brought shame to my family with how I won the Titan fight.
http://gfycat.com/MelodicCreepyAcornbarnacle

That's not shameful, that's playing it smart.

• Locked thread