Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Soulcleaver posted:

We should compile a list of all the rad ideas Araki presented and then suddenly dropped with no explanation. It'd be longer than that psychological analysis of Dio.

* Giorno being in Florida
* Silver Chariot Requiem making people's souls evolve into monsters or something like that
* Stands being able to shrink in the Lovers fight
* Stands as "Ghost Ripple" at the beginning of Part 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Aurain posted:

The Giorno thing isn't really an idea that was really hinted at. It was just a "maybe Giorno is here too..." thing on a privilege card and not offered as a real possibility. Nothing like Josuke saving baby Josuke.

I deliberately avoided listing the Josuke thing because it's not clear that Araki even intended to hint at a time travel plot there.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Part V I'd say has a great first and second act. It's the third act where it starts to fall apart for me. The early chapters with Giorno trying to fit in with Bruno's gang as they go treasure hunting are great, and the assassination squad going rogue provided a lot of memorable villains with great fights. After Bruno's brush with King Crimson and Doppio's fight with Nero though, the fights and the bad guys seem to go downhill - though to Araki's credit they remain creative.

I think where it really went wrong was when Silver Chariot Requiem showed up. At that point everything just stopped making sense.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Sometimes I wonder what most of Dio's minions did before becoming Dio's minions.

Like, what was Steely Dan's job? What was Alessi's? Big political cartoon axes labeled 'AXE' don't come cheap you know.

Doesn't matter one bit for story purposes, I just find it amusing to think about.

Steely Dan's introduction implies that selling kebabs is his regular job. The Darby brothers probably made money by gambling; I doubt they always played just to collect souls. A lot of the others have probably never really had non-criminal jobs; Gray Fly was a terrorist for hire even before he met Dio, while Hol Horse, Devo, Midler, and Rubber Soul were probably always assassins, and N'Doul mentions being a thief. Oingo and Boingo also strike me as having been petty criminals, and the way Nena played Hol Horse makes me think she was a confidence woman. The fake Captain Teneille must have had experience as an actual captain to pull off the impersonation. Mariah might have been an electrician. It's hard to imagine what the deal was with someone like Vanilla Ice, though.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

hoobajoo posted:

IIRC, Crazy Diamond works by actually reverting something to a prior state, and it can only go back so far; probably more than an hour but less than a day. So it wouldn't help with diseases, unless it had a weirdly short eclipse phase.

Crazy Diamond reverts things much farther back than a day, actually. Remember when it turns manufactured products back into their components?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

While this probably isn't exactly what you're looking for, Araki gave a lecture on his approach to making comics back in 2005 or 6. That link there is just an overview so it's not too meaty, but you might make some use of it.

There's also a known interview with him and Tsubaki Nekoi (of CLAMP fame), though most of it is about themes and the creative process.

Aside from those two links I'm not aware of much that's been written about him. I do know he published a book about his methods just this year, but it hasn't been translated (nor has his book on horror films). That said, what is known is that he's very respectful of Italian art, especially the classics: Leonardo de Vinci, Michelangelo. In his work for the Louvre Collection series, Rohan at the Louvre, he has his (sort of) author stand-in chide some sloppily-dressed comic book fans for disrespecting the museum, saying "If you really love manga, respect this place, okay? When you come to admire the masterpieces of great masters, you dress up better than that! Next time, put on a tie instead of dressing like you're going skateboarding!"

It's not much, but I hope it helps. I enjoyed your DBZ effort posts and look forward to more if you're going to include Jojo. I could go on and on about Jojo myself, but mostly thematic stuff and story structure which I doubt people would have much patience for.

EDIT: In case it wasn't clear, he has openly expressed his respect for Italian art in various interviews and author's notes and not just his work for the Louvre.

Araki seems to be very enamored with Italy in general.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

I think a shitload of people are going to complain about the overall lack of focus through much of part 4. I love the part, but it's way more wandering and aimless than anything JoJo before it (and after it, mostly) and I can easily see people getting turned off by that and bailing.

Probably at least a little, but I think it will bother people less in anime form.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
The trend of posting stealth spoilers in the anime thread continues:

Pomp posted:

Ripple coming back could be cool, but they'd have to put a new spin on it.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

A popular explanation is that it's a visual metaphor for how intimidating they were to Koichi, but after they were beaten, he no longer saw them as a threat, so they were brought down to his level, literally.

It's this. They're not literally shrinking.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

minoru suzuki posted:

i still dont understand what golden experience requiem did to diavolo. is he stuck in a time loop of dying forever in a different reality/dimension or is it all in diavolo's head making him basically insane?

Since GER negates Diavolo's death without removing the cause, it's not an illusion. However, I don't think he's still stuck like that; Made in Heaven probably put him out of his misery.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

She's Yukako due to the Hair Stand.

Similar personality too. Looks like the name and the panel with the light rays were red herrings, especially since there's a new rock person who can be Kars.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Heaven's Door never really shows reasonable limits. Rohan was able to make Koichi shoot forwards at superhuman speeds, for example.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Nessus posted:

I think that dude would've been hosed in any case, especially since he didn't seem to be meaningfully coordinating with Vanilla Ice. The big advantage the Crusaders had was that they all had good Stands, and they were all working more or less together. Whenever the bad guys had even limited team tactics (which I believe went as far as "Hol Horse tries to do a set-up for J Geil" in one case, and Oingo and Boingo in the other) they either cripple a guy or come incredibly close to killing Jotaro, foiled mostly by their own intense, life-destroying stupidity.

The bad guys fighting alone is one of the odder points of Stardust Crusaders. Rubber Soul claims that they don't want the other assassins to know what their powers are, which makes some sense early on (especially since a lot of the earlier guys seem to be assassins for hire rather than loyal to Dio), but by the time they get to Egypt you'd think they would recognize the Crusaders as bigger threats than each other and cooperate more. I guess Mariah and Alessi do coordinate with each other, Oingo doesn't want Boingo associating with people like Alessi, and the non-combat nature of Daniel D'arby's Stand means teaming up wouldn't accomplish anything.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 30, 2015

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Nessus posted:

Even the guys living in Dio's house don't cooperate!

Though I guess you have
* An rear end in a top hat bird who casually murders people
* D'arby Jr.: Oh What A Baseball
* Kenny G, who would have probably had a good shot against any one Crusader
* Vanilla Ice, who was clearly not chosen for his intellectual prowess
* Nukesaku
* DIO Himself, who was of course restrained by the Joestars showing up when the sun was up.

Kenny G was cooperating with Terence D'arby. He used Tenor Sax to make Terence look cool more than to actually help him win (probably because Terence's pride wouldn't allow him to cheat like that), but still.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I've been rereading Part 4, and I've noticed two odd things:

• Between Okuyasu, Kobayashi, Hazamada, Yukako, and Rohan, the protagonists are remarkably quick to forgive people for attempted murder.
  • It seems like every villain makes a big deal about trying to avoid a direct confrontation with Jotaro because "he can stop time for one or two seconds!" What's unclear is how they know this in the first place.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Moltrey posted:

This one is sorta explained by Josuke and just about everyone in Morioh being really nice people. Josuke's whole thing is that he has a kind heart that's reflected in Crazy Diamond's appearance and ability. Rather than be like his nephew who murders anyone who deserves it, Josuke forgives people who show almost any amount of humanity and they become Cool Pals and the kindness Josuke showed them gets passed on, creating the Golden Spirit we hear about Morioh. People that are terrible pieces of poo poo get turned into rocks for dogs to poo poo next to or books in the depths of a library.

Josuke's nice like that :v:

I haven't gotten to Enigma on my reread, so I can't remember what the Enigma guy did that was bad enough to deserve getting turned into a book.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Meme Emulator posted:

1. Jolyne (Only when shes mindwiped)
2. The lady with the huge rack on Swindlers Street
3. Josukes Mom
4. The girl Hol Horse dumped
5. Melone

You do know that your #4 is actually an ugly woman wearing an attractive woman's skin like a suit, right?

Also, I miss the ban on waifuchat in the Zorak era. I hope Bad Seafood brings it back.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 11, 2015

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

I've been rereading Part 4, and I've noticed two odd things:

• Between Okuyasu, Kobayashi, Hazamada, Yukako, and Rohan, the protagonists are remarkably quick to forgive people for attempted murder.
  • It seems like every villain makes a big deal about trying to avoid a direct confrontation with Jotaro because "he can stop time for one or two seconds!" What's unclear is how they know this in the first place.

I've gotten up to Enigma on my reread, and noticed several interesting things I'd forgotten:

• Rohan made Josuke, not Koichi, move at high speeds to protect him from Highway Star. I'm not sure why I misremembered that (or why Chrome's spellchecker doesn't recognize "misremembered").
  • In the Cinderella storyline, Aya Tsuji was more sympathetic than I remembered; although she was willing to let Yukako become ugly until she changed her mind at the last second, she never actually tried to kill Yukako, while Yukako at least talked about killing Aya. I'd also forgotten the implication that Aya was gay for Yukako.
  • The protagonists, especially Rohan, actually did come up with some potential leads to find Kira after he changed his face. I guess Rohan never got around to investigating all the commuters because the other Stand users, his house getting burned down, etc. kept distracting him.
  • One strange bit: The man on the tower says he's been there for 3 years, so Superfly can't be the result of getting shot by the Arrow. I guess he still counts as one of the 6 Stand users Kira's dad mentioned because he still recruited him?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Dzhay posted:

Just finished reading part 5, Jojopinions follow:

I loved it most of the way through, even though GioGio forgot about his stand's most useful ability (and the sped-up perception thing), wasn't too keen on it becoming a discount Crazy Diamond about 3/4 of the way through - the ending was a bit of a mess though. Also, if you're going to have a power as complicated as Diavolo's, at least be consistent with it.

While I'm moaning: too many stands had the power to make something become soft.

In all: good, but no part 4. Was at its best when people were resolving mundane problems with totally sensible tactics, such as turning one of their teeth into a jellyfish.

I agree that the ending was a mess. I'm not sure if King Crimson was actually inconsistent or just seems that way due to a combination of the strangeness of the concept, a bad translation, and Diavolo not always spelling out how he pulls off particular tricks. For example, the odd bit where Bruno sees himself could be explained as Diavolo giving Epitaph to Bruno.

Giorno not using the damage redirection ability is odd. You could come up with a bunch of contrived Watsonian explanations, but I think Araki just quietly dropped it because Gold Experience is powerful enough as it is.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 11, 2015

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

setafd posted:

I really like Giorno just because he's the boss of the mafia now

maybe he was just too busy doing everything but selling drugs to kids to be tempted to go to Florida

although on that note, I hated that DIO's sons were just a bunch of losers. but maybe that's the point, DIO was a big loser with big ambition

In Ungalo's case, at least, the loser traits probably come from Dario. Versace and Rykiel don't seem to be losers by nature so much as people who got screwed over by ~gravity~.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

DicktheCat posted:

Who is hosting the new translation, anyhow? Is it batoto or another one?

I've been reading it on Batoto.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Aurain posted:

My favourite part of Pucci's back story is that even though he's a black man, he manages to convince the KKK to kill his white brother for being mixed race. Araki is weird.

Pucci isn't black. He's just a very tan Italian guy.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Oh, right. Forgot about those two.

The only other terrible Stands (for the user) I can think of off the top of my head are Survivor, Notorious B.I.G., and that suicide one from Part VI.

Notorious BIG and Highway to Hell don't actually harm their users in any way, though. You just need to die in order to make full use of their abilities. Highway to Hell can even accomplish things without the user dying if he's creative enough; compare Lovers, which had a similar ability but a user who wasn't suicidal. Even Survivor doesn't make the targets attack the user, only each other, and I assume the user chooses to use it rather than people around him killing each other automatically. Actually, if Dio had recruited Survivor's original user and sent him after the Stardust Crusaders instead of giving Survivor to Pucci, he would probably have won. Notorious BIG is genuinely useless if you're not a fanatic, so it's worse than Hermit Purple, but still way better than Superfly, Cheap Trick, or Holly's Stand.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

SkeletonHero posted:

Pretty sure Survivor's user doesn't have any control over it, which is why DIO considered it the most useless Stand he'd ever seen.

I reread chapter 655 carefully, and you're right; it seems to be uncontrollable.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Now that I think about it, the whole premise of this mini-arc doesn't make much sense. Everyone is aging at different rates, and some of the first super-aging people we see are female, so how did they know Trish would survive? (Perhaps they predicted Trish's body temperature based on her age and approximate weight as well as her sex, but this is never mentioned.)

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Edit: Never mind, missed :thejoke:.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Ekusukariba posted:

I think I read something along the lines of that concept, an alternate story where Dio put the mask of Jonathan like he planned

It's this one: http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/jojos-bizarre-adventure-towa-ni-shinu-made-doujinshi-r12979

It would be interesting to see sequels where the Zeppellis and their friends have to stop Kars, Enya, and Diavolo without the Joestar bloodline to help them..

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

With the exception of Part 6, I've never really had that much difficulty following Araki's action sequences.

Obviously there are people who do, but I'm not sure I understand how?

EDIT: Then again I guess I do reread the manga a lot so I may not be the most impartial judge.

I remember some confusing stuff in Part 5 (King Crimson), Part 7 (Civil War, some Spin-related scenes), and Part 8 (the current fight) but I'm not sure animation would have clarified much in any of those cases.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
He actually got it from the Arrow: http://bato.to/reader#03f9b6266a6d8a91_19

"The Arrow...It struck a second time...!?"

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
It should really be more like this (Edit: Bad Seafood edited out the post I was responding to):

Season One
  1. Jotaro Kujo Meets Josuke Higashikata
  2. Aqua Necklace (1)
  3. Aqua Necklace (2) (includes start of Nijimura Brothers)
  4. The Nijimura Brothers (1)
  5. The Nijimura Brothers (2)
  6. The Nijimura Brothers (3)
  7. Echoes (1)
  8. Echoes (2) (includes start of Surface)
  9. Surface
  10. Yukako Yamagishi is in Love (1)
  11. Yukako Yamagishi is in Love (2)
  12. Yukako Yamagishi is in Love (3)
  13. Let's Go Out for Italian!
  14. Red Hot Chili Peppers (1)
  15. Red Hot Chili Peppers (2)
  16. Achtung Baby
  17. Let's Go Visit the Mangaka's House! (1)
  18. Let's Go Visit the Mangaka's House! (2)
  19. Let's Go Hunting! (1)
  20. Let's Go Hunting! (2)
  21. Rohan Kishibe's Bizarre Adventure (1)
  22. Rohan Kishibe's Bizarre Adventure (2)
  23. Harvest (1)
  24. Harvest (2)
  25. Kira Yoshikage Wants a Quiet Life (1)
  26. Kira Yoshikage Wants a Quiet Life (2) <-- (includes the People of Morioh)
Season Two
  1. Cinderella (1)
  2. Cinderella (2)
  3. Sheer Heart Attack (1)
  4. Sheer Heart Attack (2)
  5. Sheer Heart Attack (3) (includes start of Atom Heart Father)
  6. Atom Heart Father
  7. Rock, Paper, Scissors! (1) (includes Kira's Yoshikage's New Face (1))
  8. Rock, Paper, Scissors! (2) (includes Kira's Yoshikage's New Face (2))
  9. I Am An Alien (1)
  10. I Am An Alien (2)
  11. Highway Star (1)
  12. Highway Star (2)
  13. Stray Cat (1)
  14. Stray Cat (2)
  15. The Man on the Tower (1)
  16. The Man on the Tower (2)
  17. Enigma (1)
  18. Enigma (2) (includes start of My Dad Is Not My Dad)
  19. Cheap Trick (1) (includes end of My Dad Is Not My Dad)
  20. Cheap Trick (2)
  21. Another One Bites the Dust (1)
  22. Another One Bites the Dust (2)
  23. Another One Bites the Dust (3)
  24. The Invincible Crazy Diamond (1)
  25. The Invincible Crazy Diamond (2)
  26. Goodbye, Morioh Town (includes end of The Invincible Crazy Diamond)

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 19, 2015

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Pomp posted:

i haven't posted on 4chan in almost a decade, why am I mad about people calling them meme arrows

Fun fact: the comments section of the Know Your Meme article on Meme Arrows has a picture of the Stand Arrow.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
People rank the parts a lot, but I'm not sure I've ever made a ranking post myself, so I'll do it now. Not ranking Part 8 because it's unfinished.

Part 4: The part with the strongest characterization overall (in part because we got to see the characters doing things other than fighting for their lives), and the part where Stands really come into their own. There's also no really bad fights/sub-arcs here. I didn't get much of an impression of Josuke's personality the first time I read it, but on a reread, I realized that he was a really complex character. For example, why does Josuke seem so much more laid-back later on, as opposed to his more serious personality earlier? Because his grandfather (who must have been like a father to him) died near the beginning; it must have taken him a while to come to fully come to terms with it. Part 4 does lack a cohesive plot with a sense of forward momentum for much of it, but the subplot of Rohan figuring out Kira's new identity was interesting.

Part 2: Had excellent tactical fights and the most memorable Jojo. (Josuke is a more realistic character, but Joseph is more memorable.) Joseph vs. Whammu is a particularly great set-piece fight. The only part with a real training arc, but it actually work. This is also where the series really gets bizarre. Whammu was a great antagonist, but he wasn't the main villain; Kars was the main villain, and Kars was sort of generic, personality-wise. What goals did Kars even have after he became the Ultimate Life Form? The complaint that no one other than Joseph does anything is slightly exaggerated, but it's true that no good guy other than Joseph wins an extended fight.

Part 7: The part with the best plot, though to be fair, most of the previous parts weren't really trying to have a plot. The characters were complex, though not quite as memorable as the Part 4 ones. The actual fights are what places this below Part 2; most of them are good, but some get confusing (especially Civil War).

Part 6: It was good to see some well-written female characters after the cringeworthy ones in Parts 3 and 4, and a main character who has to work to use their Stand cleverly after the somewhat overpowered Giorno. Also some cool and bizarre Stands like Underworld and Limp Bizkit. On the other hand, the art took a step backwards in some ways, to the point of making some of the fight scenes confusing. I have no strong feelings either way about the ending, but I can understand why some people hate it.

Part 5: Everything stops making sense as soon as Silver Chariot Requiem shows up. The characterization is better than 3 but not as good as 4 overall; Diavolo is the weak point here. Some good fights (in a similar vein to Part 4), but a couple of them lasted too long.

Part 3: It's weird that this part eclipsed the others in the public mind until the anime came out. Araki was clearly still figuring Stands out, and there's some weak fights (Dark Blue Moon, Strength, Wheel of Fortune, High Priestess...basically all Jotaro's solo fights except Yellow Temperance, come to think of it). Aside from Polnareff, the characters aren't fleshed out much. And DIO doesn't really do anything until the end. On the other hand, there's some really good fights too, like Pet Shop and D'Arby the Gambler.

Part 1: If I was going by the anime versions this would be ranked higher. As it is, though, it has the worst art (reminiscent of Rob Liefeld) and several chapters go by at the beginning before anything really happens (not a huge problem for me when I read it, but when you consider it was originally serialized in Jump, this counts against it). As a character, Jonathan is a mixed bag; Araki himself has admitted he lacks the flaws a really compelling character needs, but his relationship with Erina (while rather trite) is the only actually compelling romance prior to Part 8 (Joseph and Suzy Q barely interact (although Joseph's cheating suggests Araki noticed this too), and Yukako and Annasui are hosed up people that Koichi and Jolyne should have stayed away from).

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Dec 15, 2015

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Dexie posted:

Part 3 eclipsed all the others in the West because it was the only part we had any exposure to, between the old OVA and the Capcom fighter.

Not really weird at all.

Even in other Japanese media, though, you see a lot more references to Part 3 than to the other parts.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Archenteron posted:

From the other thread:

Is it Mandom breaking the "Only the Big Bad gets a timefuckery stand" rule?

e: Tattoo You :downs:

Every part with Stands breaks this "rule." Parts 3, 4, and 6 have Star Platinum, and Part 5 has Moody Blues and Gold Experience Requiem.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I paid close attention when rewatching Part 3, and decided that almost every Part 3 villain could have killed at least one member of the Stardust Crusaders if they'd played their cards right, although in most cases they made reasonable choices based on what they knew at the time, and in some cases their only real ways of winning would have involved sacrificing their own lives. The biggest exception that comes to mind was Mariah; she had a crappy power, and it felt like she only got as far as she did because Abdul was holding back a little.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

setafd posted:

does Valentine actually swap bodies with his alternate timeline selves and we're dealing with the same personality the whole time, or does he tag out with his alternate timeline selves who are all just as down for the cause

The former would make more sense, but I thought it was the latter for some reason.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

I still love that DIO's capital C Charisma is literally just brain-controlling parasites and an inexplicably huge cash flow. I guess there were the left-handed old lady, the guy who doesn't realise people don't usually get up from beheading and the priest who abandoned God literally the first chance he got to follow the devil, but everyone else couldn't give less of a poo poo about DIO.

At least with Valentine I could see why everyone up to and including the protagonist himself believed in his absolute and unwavering loyalty to America. DIO's party line of "keep humans as live stock" is a bit of a harder sell for me, really.

To be fair, N'Doul seemed to be genuinely loyal to DIO (because "even evil needs a savior").

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Baal posted:

I can't think of a jojo villain who did it except like Kars

Literally everyone always tried to go in for the kill while monologuing and in Kira's case he had to follow goofy rear end rules because of his powers

I'm pretty sure Death 13 stopped or at least slowed down to monologue at some point.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Baal posted:

Ciccolatta being weird scientist

Now that you make the connection, was Mayuri from Bleach inspired by Ciccolatta? They look oddly similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Baal posted:

Kubo is a pretty big fan of JoJo and for the 25th anniversary his drawing in honor of JoJo was for Ghiaccio which makes a lot of sense, but I would not doubt that Cioccolatta was an inspiration for Mayuri.

Kubo made him look like Szayel instead of Mayuri, heh.

Edit: Oh, it's Ghiaccio, not Cioccolatta. Now I feel silly.