Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The great thing about the latest episode is that, unlike the manga, you can actually see the gears start to turn in Jotaro's head that "Star Platinum does all this poo poo, and The World does all the same poo poo, so maaaaybeeeeeeeee . . ."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

The true tragedy of Terence's life was being ora'd through a wall before he could break in on the korean starcraft scene

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I have this image now of some baby boomer coming to josuke for spirit surgery and expecting it to be all this feel good hippy poo poo before Crazy Diamond roundhouse kicks their cancer through a wall.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

It's worth mentioning that English speaking countries are literally the only places where part 5 isn't considered top-tier JoJo, just to hammer home how loving dire the translation is.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

loving incredible

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

IGGY COMIN

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

The part 5 translation is bad in the opposite way that duwang is bad, on that while the duwang guys knew Japanese well enough but couldn't parse English, the part 5 translation is mostly acceptable English written by people who are really bad at understanding Japanese

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

It's actually really common these days for home releases to have increasingly low-effort menus, I have the Mad Max collection blurays and even though the quality of the actual films are fantastic the menus are exactly the same

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

What is Giorno even going to do now that he's a Mafia don? Other than getting rid of the drug trade.

I loving wish I still had that comic where giorno convinces the other mafiosos to go into the bakery business

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

My favorite explanation so far is that jotaro looks so ripped in part 3 because that's how he sees himself or is seen by other people who know how terrifying star platinum is, whereas Josuke just doesn't give a gently caress and sees him as the skinny nerd with a punch ghost he probably actually looks like

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I absolutely love that jotaro's cigarette is backwards

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Baal posted:

give me another group of people whining about how the main character isn't joseph again and the show was better with hamon, yes

I have no joke had friends losing their poo poo and getting pissed because part 4 is no longer about "ironic" huge musclemans

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Monaghan posted:

Huh comics alliance is doing a critique of jojo.

http://comicsalliance.com/bizarre-adventures-jojo-phantom-blood-review/

They have some valid points, but I think their criticism can be overblown :shrug:.

This is some tvtropes level trash criticism.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Claire literally only dislikes it because she had quote headcanons unquote about what the series was like and she's upset its different.

She literally explains this in her introduction and everything afterwards feels weird specifically because it's her backfilling an argument to justify her opinion. It's Bad Faith Criticism in the purest sense.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Nah, you replace it with a valentine of the same model but slightly different detailing.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I think its more that the long loop-hair is the JoJo equivalent of a powdered wig, actually.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

The best way to describe JoJo is that it's plot-light and character interaction focused, which most people mistake for Bad because they're used to plot-heavy and character-weak genre fiction like the marvel movies or YA books where characters are basically just cutouts to move from one event to the next.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Raserys posted:

I hope Koichi's dub voice is just Butters

Justin Roiland doing his Morty voice

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Josuke rescuing okuyasu makes more sense when you remember that oku is literally too stupid to die

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Baal posted:

Aurain: "KAKYOIN SUCKS WTF IS WRONG WITH ALL OF YOU! BAD SEAFOOD PROBATE THEM!'
*Bad seafood writes a name down in the Bannote*
Aurain: "GOOD JOB, LET ME SEE IT!"
*Bad seafood shows Aurain his own name with one sentence written by it*
"User loses posting privileges for 6 hours."
*Aurain makes a futile escape, but it is only moments later that his avatar turns into an imprisoned kitty*
*Credit Rolls, Snow (Hey Oh) Plays*

I too feel that the Death Note live action movies were underrated.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

CJ posted:

The baby didn't really go anywhere and wasn't that interesting because it was a baby and didn't really have a personality. They didn't really go anywhere with it so in retrospect i don't think it was worth including. The alien guy i was just annoyed by because he was just acting weird for the sake of it for a few chapters. I didn't realise the rohan gambling thing was part of the same arc, i liked that. I mainly meant the chapters where they just ask him what his deal is and he acts weird for attention. The other part that i thought was entirely forgettable was the paper guy, but since he was so forgettable i forgot about him.

Those are just the parts i remember feeling bored by and thinking that he needs to start wrapping it up. It's very minor compared to the large parts of Stardust Crusaders that were entirely forgettable.

You need to stop trying to judge storytelling quality because you have literally no understanding of how it works whatsoever and are just making yourself look bad.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

My favourite Best Friends JoJo-related thing was the debate of what would be worse: A stand that gives the target brain-freeze or a stand that makes the target poo poo themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3vBMmcXSMw

Both of these stands would be utterly deadly in multiple actual JoJo fights

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Why does Rohan need your eyes to be open for his power to work again? I thought he just slaps your face open into a book.

In its original form heavens door required the target to see Rohan's art.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Valentine wanted to deny the corpse to Johnny because despite what he keeps saying he's still an incredibly petty piece of poo poo, and doesn't mind letting Dio have the corpse because he's in full gently caress That Guy mode and just wants Johnny to get hosed over at any cost.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Rohan is my spirit animal and those panels are why

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

30 years is a long time to get good at drawing.

Yeah, its important to remember that, given the average mangaka schedule, Araki has likely spent at least ten hours a day drawing, every day, for longer than most people in this thread have been alive

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I'm pretty sure that this is the first time we've seen on screen onomatopiea since DiU started airing, which is fitting since Echoes

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I'm finally caught up to jojolions most current chapter

Damo is the most terrifying diglett in the world

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

And yes, part 8 is incredible but at current standing steel ball run is best JoJos by a fair margin

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

One of the eight heavenly bodies destined to wipe out all life on Earth in the Nasuverse.

It arrived several centuries too early, however, and is currently holed up somewhere deep in South America where it's slowly terraforming the planet, but otherwise minding its own business as it awaits the day of reckoning. It's also technically the fifth-ranked Dead Apostle since the previous slot-holder tried to capture it and was incinerated immediately, the Dead Apostiles being real hardliners when it comes to "You break it, you bought it."

As a foreign contaminant, it neither understands nor shares Earthly concepts of death, and thus can't be killed, wounded, or even mildly inconvenienced by conventional weaponry or most forms of magic. The only known way of killing it, effectively, would be using a weapon capable of rewriting the very laws of reality that define it - which exist, fortunately, but are exceedingly rare.

is it incarnated in the form of a 14 year old girl whos down to gently caress

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I mean, its the nasuverse so it's kind of 50/50 of that or a brooding middle aged man who looks like alan rickman

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

JOHN CENA posted:

thinking about the joseph cheating convo from the other thread, it does seem strange that holly hadn't bothered to go visit her newly discovered brother who lives in the same country she does. that could have been a fun mini arc for part four.

Part of why I'm a little sad about DiU being 3 cour is that it means we don't get an anime only Holly Meets Her New Brother! or Jolyne Goes To Morioh! episode

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Beef is generally a lot more expensive in countries outside of North America.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Jolyne deserved a better Part

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

The issue with Hot Pants death is that what kills her (the window frame through the head) doesn't take effect instantly and she seems cognizant enough to have a monologue real quick about how she's gotta get out of this situation, which leads the viewer to think that she'll be fine, this is JoJo, its just cutting away to another dramatic part of the story before cutting back to her solution, only it never does

If it just showed her being straight up killed by the window then it would be a lot clearer, but as is its going against all the signifiers the series has set up to be normal in this situation without showing that it's being subverted

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

"SBR equivalent" sort of made sense early into SBRs run since you had some characters who were pretty clearly analogous of pre-SBR characters and also poo poo like literally Stroheim and avdol running around, but that was also almost a decade ago.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

They have more to do in less time and Stardust Crusaders wasn't "9 episodes longer than it needed to be"

SDC could have absolutely been done just as well with 9 fewer episodes and probably not cutting a single thing.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Anyone who thinks jotaro would be cut because they can't find a tall enough actor has never seen a set photo of Tom cruise

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Beware the stand of hato hikashigata, [DANCING QUEEN]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

So someone just dropped that rohan survives part 4 in the anime thread which, uh, would kind of ruin the tension of a pretty big sequence