Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Bad Seafood posted:

Josuke saving baby Josuke is dumb because the whole point is its the formative experience in Josuke's life that leads him to becoming such a super dude. A complete stranger saves his life, expecting nothing in return, so Josuke grows up to be the kind of guy to pay it forward, putting himself in danger for his friends. Josuke may be a scamp with a head full of zany get-rich-quick schemes, but he's got a heart of gold - and with Joseph out of the picture and his mother unmarried, that mysterious student is basically his ideal image of a man in place of a father figure. It's why he honors him with his pompadour, and gets upset when people insult it. They're insulting his hero.

To have Josuke save Josuke would make the whole thing ring hollow. It's not selfless if he's just saving himself. It stops being a thematically important moment and just becomes something weird that happened one time.

I've never seen any compelling evidence that Araki wanted to create a stable time loop, but if he did then I'm pretty glad he changed his mind.

What you're saying makes no difference at all as to whether it's a random guy or a causal loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Worst Girl posted:

I have trouble comprehending the Josuke saved himself theory because if Josuke couldn't go back in time to begin with if he didn't save himself.

Time travel hurts my head.

Causal loops are the easiest possible time travel style to comprehend. Just don't assume there's a starting point; that's probably the problem.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Those were some excellent mudas.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I can't remember Poli being in this fight at ALL. What does he do in the Dio fight?

I barely remember anything about this fight outside of the anime adding them tossing ships at each other, steamrollers, and Jotaro's finger twitching.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Supersonic Shine posted:

I still think it's funny that Vanilla Ice managed to kill more of the Crusaders than DIO did. Of course, they would be even if Jotaro hadn't gotten Joseph's heart pumping again.

Jonathan counts for all of the side characters. And yeah, Joseph counts, him coming back is bullshit. That's two Joestars for Dio, a feat not matched until Pucci.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

George Joestar (the First).

3 for Dio, he wins.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I re-looked at the manga for the first time in forever, and completely forgot that Joseph got a ghost and stuff like all the other dead people after Dio drank his blood. So ridiculous.

...but that gave us old fake-senile Joseph in 4, so all is forgiven.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I like how stopping time is the underpowered stand for the situation multiple times later on in the series. like when fighting the rat with a stronger spirit than Jotaro's mom.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

What the gently caress did beating Dio heal Jotaro's mom for, anyway? Him dying didn't make people's stands go away. I think the whole adventure was a setup by Jotaro's mom now.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Rereading Stardust, Jotaro's stand ability is obviously doing whatever the gently caress he wants with it, ending with, "Oh you can stop time? Screw it, my stand can too, so there!" Sucking in air, star fingers, stopping hearts, whatever he feels like, depending on the plot. Then he starts playing with dolphins and decides to just stop time for a few seconds.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

El Hefe posted:

Star Platinum is just the best stand that ever standed whats so hard to understand

Until Gold Experience Requiem shows up with its Stand power of "nope, nuh uh, you cant' do anything to me"

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

So, I just realized Araki has the same birthday as Prince. Both are known for not aging, androgynous imagery, and general awesomeness. Also, Prince is the most reference artist by Araki, period. I think I figured out something here.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Aurain posted:

Is it really spoilers to say Jotaro will win and DIO will be disintegrated by the sun? I mean, they all know there's a lot more JoJo after part 3 and how often do shonens end without the protagonists winning? They technically even win out in Stone Ocean.

The protagonist does not win in the first part - it's basically just a Pyrrhic victory. It's a big deal that Joseph is the first to survive.

After 1 they win, kind of (Stone Ocean is weird in that they only kind of stop Pucci from doing what HE wanted to do, but still end up screwing themselves over since they don't really exist any more.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I almost slipped up bitching about Dio's second form being so hard for Joseph in the game in there (one, because Joseph is "dead" now, two because even stating he has a second form means that he gets a mid-fight powerup in the show, possibly).

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Bad Seafood posted:

He's most likely referring to Dio supercharging himself with Joseph's blood, yes.

Yeah, Dio's second form in-game is after he sucks Joseph's blood and says that he can finally use his body fully now. That's a relatively surprising point in the manga since Dio sets Jotaro up to punch him near Joseph and kind of counts as a "power up." It's best for them to not know Dio gets ridiculously restored mid-fight.

Also, in the game, that's when Dio becomes almost impossible to kill with Joseph since turtling doesn't work any more and his damage is raised up a great deal, while giving him a new projectile you can't just duck under.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

How does Dio get his second form if he's fighting Joseph? :psyduck:

There's no cutscene like there is with Jotaro, he just has it. Assume he drained Jotaro, I guess?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Oh my god, that OP, haha. I wouldn't have said anything if it wasn't already mentioned, because the surprise is what got me.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Sekkira posted:

I'm sure they'd be different in obscure ways.

Also, decided to watch Heroes with a friend again. Every time Hiro stops time, I keep thinking "ZA WARUDO!". I am somewhat disappointed that there are no edits of The World as his stand.

There's no real reason to edit it when it's already in the show. He says "mudamudamudamuda" in one of the episodes. In the tie in blog, he talks about loving JoJos.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

They had really good stand abilities as well. I was expecting something like the train fight in 5, but nope.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

A "Cheap Trick."

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The last boss in a JoJos has to have some kind of space/time Stand so we haven't seen this one yet.

Unless we find out that "making things soft" can also extend to space/time.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Stairmaster posted:

Whis is the only guy you can say for sure moves faster than light and that's just when he's flying across the universe.

Every blast hits the moon at near lightspeed when it happens, kamehamehas go into deep space in the same amount of time, and in the movies hit the sun in seconds, and they block/dodge that poo poo all the time ;) Also, Beerus goes faster than light after blowing up a couple of planets and Gotenks is near that when he circles the planet.

Dragon Ball is kind of consistent with things since they just fight each other and the only people that really follow their fights outside of tournament stuff where they're purposely not going all out is Satan. JoJos is waaaay all over the place with Stands, though.

Manga artists don't care that much about "feats."

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Condiv posted:

wow

yes, watch yuyu hakusho

kuwabara is my bro

apparently yuyu hakusho can be watched here now: http://www.funimation.com/shows/yu-yu-hakusho/videos/episodes

Well, time to rewatch this and see if I still like it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Stairmaster posted:

Only in the anime :colbert:. In the manga time is vague enough you can assume substellar speeds. Also Dragonball is hella inconsistent about whether normal people can keep up with the fights or not.

Stuff had to move at those speeds because they happened mid fight, for instance, giant rear end apes about to smash people and taking out the moon before they happened, or Gotenks clearly pulling a Superman 1 on panel. :colbert: Typically, the only time people see stuff is during tournaments since no regular people are around, and they either just see clashes and aftermaths, or everyone is playing up for the crowd. Satan is the only outlier and he's great.

Silver Chariot has to be hella fast as well. Even if he predicted where the path was going, he had to time stabbing it, which is ridiculous. JoJos revels in its inconsistency, which is one reason I like it. The only consistency is in a Stand fight in itself.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The way I explain GER is that if you attack it, it says, "nuh uh" and sticks you in an infinite death loop.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Butt Ox posted:

I feel a strong need to make a Jojo WarioWare, with each level category being based on a different part.

I just need to actually make an effort in learning to make games

I'm doing that and/an adventure game about the elections. I can morph the engine to a JoJo game when I'm done.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Kawabata posted:

No no I get the 80s action star criticism but I'm also an older (30+!) occasional manga reader so I find it really, really difficult to like a story like Josuke's. Maybe it's aimed to a younger target audience, or maybe it's my taste: I'll keep watching it and see if my opinion changes. I did like most of the recent action-y stuff though (Kabaneri, Attack on Titan).

Araki's "new" style however is something that instantly didn't click with me. I don't need beefslabs but the drawings look almost pokemon-y at times, there seems to be waaay less detail than there was in Stardust Crusaders and Jotaro not having a nose still bothers me.

Im 37, and it actually grows up as it goes, and part 4 is slightly more mature than 3 overall for various reasons. Araki's art gets better and better as well, he starts to adopt more realism into his style instead of aping Fist of the North Star.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

Finally catching up with JJL and I guess Araki saw It Follows, huh?

Yeah, he probably did since he likes horror, and figured he'd revisit his Highway Star fight again in a more extended way.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Takashi Miike is the best director.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Movie Stand fights: http://www.animenewsnetwork.cc/news/2017-08-13/live-action-jojo-bizarre-adventure-film-clips-show-stand-fights/.120081

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

I love that the perfect form of execution by spin is death by age. It just makes so much sense.

Unrelated but I saw this bit from the first Hellraiser movie where a minor, unimportant character does the same cigarette trick that jotaro does. I wonder if Araki saw Hellraiser. I wouldn't be surprised if he did given that Hellraiser came out a few years before Stardust Crusaders and a bunch of the villains in Part 3 were based around horror movies so I wouldn't be surprised if Araki saw that bit and was like "that's cool, I think that's something Jotaro would do to look cool"

Araki loves horror films, so there's a 100% chance he saw Hellraiser. The issue is that Miura saw Hellraiser first and made an entire manga based on the Cenobites (Godhand) and puzzle box (behelit), so Araki just let him have it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Dias posted:

It's probably Prince. I'm not even a Prince fan but motherfucker was a musical prodigy.

Yeah, it's definitely Prince. And he's Araki's favorite too.

Soft and Wet
Paisley Park
Gold Experience
Josuke wears purple, has prince like symbols on his clothes and "listens to Prince CDs in his spare time"
Avdol's chicken

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Arbys is officially out of control:

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I like the Diamond is Unbreakable movie. Yes, it's not fabulous enough, but it is directed well, and the slight narrative changes are okay and work well for the movie in itself.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Augus posted:

does the color filter look less offensively horrible in the final film compared to the trailers?

I didn't notice any weird filters. There was some appropriate coloration in certain scenes. The cinematography actually looked really good at times (it is Miike, and he works with good people). Only issue was lack of posing.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Condiv posted:

Anyone got a site like imgur I can upload this to?

Maybe Google Drive? Just don't link it to your personal google account.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Sexxxooo Pistols!

I can't wait to see those little guys animated more, kicking around bullets.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Blue Hawaii is great, and It Follows was an ok enough movie. Its not like there's not a parallel to a similar enough Stand in part 4 too.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Seing Zipper Man's stuff happening in animation is even more body horror than it was in the manga - and this is going to get REALLY ridiculous later on, especially when he's trying to avoid a hook going to his heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Expect My Mom posted:

im so excited for the other boys to get here. i just want to be two weeks from now, gently caress black sabbath

black sabbath is a really good stand fight though. I want to see the rest of the boys too and get their individual stand battles, but we have to see giorno trying to keep a lighter lit as the universe conspires to stop him