Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Expect My Mom posted:

yeah i think mista might be in just as many fights as he isn't. turns out having a gun is a strong move

Having a Stand that is a group of fun dudes with personality trying to angle bullets around impossibly makes a great guy to focus on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

TheLoneStar posted:

Same. Giorno has been dead last in my JoJo list with zero wiggle room. I'm optimistic the anime will change my mind.

Part 5 is one of my favorite parts, probably second to 7, but that's mainly because it's peak battles (6 goes overboard too much, imo), not because of Giorno, who is already kind of flat. Although I never did read the new translation, in anticipation of the anime.

However, Giorno is already way better to me in the anime because, animated, his personality is shining a bit more - and I can't wait to see the scenes where he keeps sacrificing himself over and over in battle and everyone keeps falling in love with him because of that.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Momomo posted:

Is it? I thought all the arrows were the same.

Also the whole thing with Kira stabbing himself by accident while not technically a plothole is still a thread that part 5 skirts really close to but never addresses.

The requiem arrow does look different; it has the ladybug symbol on it or something. Can't remember exactly.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Expect My Mom posted:

Hmm okay yeah I assumed it was some Power of Friendship

I hope to actually be able to catch that kinda stuff this time, right now I'd be pretty boned if you put a gun to my head and made me list Giornos character traits. Like I could do Arabia Fats better probably

Giorno reads people extremely well and has a ridiculously strong sense of right along with his father's ends justify the means mentality - but that also entails that the means include sacrificing himself to reach those ends and total trust in his friends to the point where they all decide he is a guy they can follow.

Thats also why the crew is built up more than him; it's more about how he can draw these wild personalities in, and once he does, how all these crazy guys overcome even crazier guys.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

It's probably getting a bit closer, yeah.

Anyway I'm really late to the party but I'm mad about Jodeci being the ED solely because when I was trying to make educated guesses about the ED I saw Freakin You on the list and was like "that's too overtly sexual lyrics-wise, no way would they use that"

(I discarded a bunch of other stuff from that era like bone thugs n harmony for similar reasons but also thought my better guess, Waterfalls, probably wouldn't actually get picked)

I wish it was How Do you Want It, now, because you still have KCi and JoJo with an even funnier song.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Hermes is the BFF in 6 which is why the latest game has her in it. All the special entrances are pretty much on point regarding that.

Jobin is an exception because it was developed when no one knew where 8 was going.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Expect My Mom posted:

yeah but like, I really struggle to think of big scenes just Jolyne and Hermes shared. Jolyne and FF throw the baseball around after Hermes gets her organs out, they talk about what animal is the opposite of a pig. Weirdly, Weather seems to be person in the group Jolyne is most fond of, running to hug him when she (thinks) she sees him again after the Green Baby is born and she has a long speech about wanting to hear his voice in the wind or whatever. It's weird cause I think the only scene they share is fighting Jumping Jack Flash where they pee next to each other, but i dunno

Hermes is general kinda feels disconnected from a lot of events, after killing Sports Maxx she just kinda hangs out

I agree with you. Hermes just gets a lot of her OWN stuff, which, after part 5, where everyone also gets their own stuff makes her the secondary star of the show.

(The game also gives Jolyne something with Weather Report, I was just being silly)

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Expect My Mom posted:

Realistically the Part 7 ED might be a song from 2004 as they've usually been from when araki was writing the part and boy that'll be hilarious

Muse Knights of Cydonia for the "Break Us Down" synergy.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Funky Valentine posted:

What even is Mitsuba's Stand name referencing?

I can't figure it out at all outside of another king pun; and I normally get all the music references...

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Expect My Mom posted:

How did they handle Gold Experience getting stabbed with the arrow? Saving the episode to watch with some friends later and wondering if I need to start preparing an explanation for that, I already had to field some Why Was Polpo His Own Bed, Why Did Polpo Eat His Fingers questions

It never really got completely stabbed; just scratched or he grabbed it with his hand, so it's distinct enough to get completely stabbed to not seem like a plothole.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

What nationality were the bad Part 5 translators? Chinese? I know they were working from Chinese raws. And for that matter what about the Duwang guy? Also Chinese?

And "not Duwang" isn't praise when Duwang is better in spite of the bad grammar and ugly typesetting. You can actually get a feel for the characters in Duwang. I only read the bad part 5, and this anime is only now showing me why Japanese people GioGio, whom I previously considered to be a emotionless wooden board.

Yeah, I'm liking Giorno so much now. The old 5 scans didn't really get across that he was straight up Good Dio.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

RatHat posted:

Araki realized after Part 4 that having a healing stand really lets him up the body horror. Part 8 is the only one that doesn't have some way for the heroes to heal themselves, and that's probably fine since most of the stands are much more indirect.

I still don't get how plankton heals everyone.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Moody Jazz is hilariously lazy.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Night Goat posted:

Ah yeah. You'd think they could just have it as lemonade or something else generic instead? Gotta be SPARITE!

I unironically enjoy some of the dumb copyright changes in part 5. Lil' Bomber and Zipperman in particular just seems so lazy that I can't help but like them.

Zipperman is retroactively cool because Jodeci has a song called Zipper.on the same album as Freakin U

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

6 isn't bad, but it's very...dense...and the Stand fights get too all over the place. One of the very first Stand fights is a whole fakeout that invalidates the fight that came before, and that's just the start of the ridiculousness. 5 is the best balance of fabulous, insane Stand fights, and sassy people. 4 just has a more fun main group. In the end, in the original continuity, I'd say 4 and 5 will be peoples favorites.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I think a lot of people are gonna come round on part 5 thanks to the anime. It's rarely anyone's favourite part right now, but I can see that changing because the fights in it are ridiculously good. Stuff like White Album, Grateful Dead/Beach Boy etc.

A lot of Japan liked 5, and I think the big difference is translation, as has been often stated. Not many people *really* went back and read the new translation in comparison, so all they remember in 5 are the fights themselves, MISTA being yelled, and not knowing what the hell is going at the end (with no character personalities). This fixes all of the above.

Another thing that makes this good is Stand balance. The gang has one OP Stand, one weirdly can use in weird ways to do weird stuff Stand, two people that can shoot at you, a non combat time stand, and a broken Stand that leaves the story after being used once. This is balanced against Stands that are mostly long distance or oddly untouchable that everyone has to combine their different specialties to defeat, as opposed to more ISO fights like in 3 and 4.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Araki is one of the few fiction writers that understands prophecy and causality, and that the way to "beat" it is to find alternative methods to fulfill it as opposed to fighting it. David Xanatos gets it as well with his "make myself rich" plan as well, I guess. But most fiction has people foghting fate too hard to the point of screwing themselves. It goes back to Greek mythology, yeah, but it gets annoying.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Which one of you guys runs Dio Brandos Masculine Homosexuality on FB, as the posts here generally start popping up there soon after, haha.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I really want to see what anime only people think about our gang of heroes torturing a dude and then breaking into a spontaneous dance.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I didn't post this in the anime thread since it's too on the nose with a Stand we haven't seen, but I was disappointed this didn't play for the dance, especially since I was able to time it in like 2 mins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNNxXFr8jns

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

It's really easy to edit songs into that and Prince is the first choice but also most likely to be taken down the fastest.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Electric Phantasm posted:

Did you edit any of this? This fit too well.

No, all I had to do was find the point where the first beat came in and cut the starting point based on it, and it all lined up. It matches an Aerosmith song more than anything else I've seen, too, which is too perfect.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I can't tell if Yasuho's ex boyfriend is gonna be important or not because he looks a little ridiculous but not quite ridiculous enough to be important. I guess Araki could fancy up the outfit a bit more if he becomes a good or bad guy.

Also I hope Jojolion ends with Kars, the leader of the Rock Humans, being defeated by being smothered in money by the Milligro Man.

I think Part 5 is when you *really* start figuring how important someone is, is all based on how fabulous they are.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Enya would have been unstoppable if Araki had figured out how Stands work at that point.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Selling smack to kids, even if they're swole 30 y.o looking 13 year olds, means you're by default one of the worst human beings to ever live and deserve infinite death, so I think ol' Doppiovolo got his due

I still love that part 5 starts with the same plot as Black Dynamite (and 7 ends with a fight against the President like Black Dynamite).

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Funky Valentine posted:

Diavolo was only in Hell for like 11 years, he's fine now.

Resetting the universe saved all the guys in their personal hells including people like I am now a rock and the space vampire. Pucci is the best.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Hogama posted:

Looks like they're going to keep up the Passione backstories for introductory fights; Mista's was this episode.

I like that; it's really personalizing them a bit more early on.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

It's just a shame because that's a really cool concept in theory and the actual writing doesn't do any justice to that because he gets way less screen time than any other main villain.

Ehhhh...he gets more than Dio SC (not really the same character as he was in PB), but it matters if you accept that Doppio counts as part of him too or not.

I like Diavolo + Doppio but not just Diavolo as a villain, if that makes sense.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

David is adding just enough character development to this part (this flashback is great and building it as gang vs. gang, which didn't really exist in the manga) that I'm entirely sure no one will really be complaining about Diavolo by the end.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Part 5 sure does have the crazy as gently caress scary stand thing going with Purple Haze and King Crimson.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I think Giorno pulls the most obvious bullshit of any JoJo, mostly because his power is so stupidly unclear and vague, ending with him getting the "NU UH DIDNT WORK ON ME NOW YOU IN DEATH LOOP" finale. And I don't really mind it because he doesn't do much of it since it focuses on the other bros. with more limited abilities so much, so when he finally does get focus, you can just say "here comes the bullshit."

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I can kind of see how GER will work now, because the anime is putting in so much of 'Giorno's will to accomplish ihs DREAM and progression will overcome any obstacle and his bros really learn to respect him' in a bit better than reading the old manga translation. Then you come against this completely unstopabble rear end in a top hat with the most ridiculous Stand to this point to "how the gently caress do you get around that" that kills all his bros and the true main character. So GER becomes, "no, gently caress you I have a DREAM and your bullshit Stand won't stop it" as opposed to "what the gently caress!?"

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

GER works just fine with the continuation of Kira's "your Stand evolved to give you exactly what you needed" thing going on in 4. It's Silver Chariot's weirdness that kind of confuses everything since that wasn't going to really help anyone.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

What was the post credit scene hinting at; I don't even remember who that guy is?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

It will probably make more sense animated.

Whoever asked "where does the key go" in the anime thread - THATS how you post in an anime thread. I'm laughing at the responses because there's no way to know its a turtle.

Also, yeah, the arguments about who has the most asspulls between Giorno and Joseph become kind of moot when people find out how overpowered Diavolo is. You need maximum asspulls to do anything against that. Or Magneto's power, apparently (boooo Narancia).

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

As i hinted to in the anime thread, Giorno is basically part 2 Joseph, where he just pulls out a bullshit "I win because I did this bullshit already" thing every time, which was fortunately dialed back a bit with the next protagonist. He's only the winner of like 3 more fights, though - from here, it's basically the Zipperman/Mista show.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Wait, how does the hand get put back on? Giorno hasn't figured put to heal yet. I dont remember any of this.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Silver2195 posted:

ScrewAttack's Death Battle is notorious for being dumb, though. Their interpretation of Superman gave us the N O L I M I T S meme, and they generally focus exclusively on characters' best showings and ignore all the times when they struggle or fail at something.

They also mix canons with comic characters and ignore stuff with anime characters. Its really weird. Like, why are you bringing up out of context Elseworlds stuff?

Also, Kenshiro should obviously be out against the Hamon users.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

He *is* from Japan (13 AoC), so, unfortunately, it's a sucky light on society where the guy that makes people creeping over 15 year olds actually creepy (or not in a seual relationship with them) sadly progressive for the area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I did actually chuckle since the references were so coy that nobody not in the know would notice, but then *of course* someone says they're real spoilers, thus cueing everyone in (which is probably why it's not good to wink wink, nudge nudge - people are often bad at realizing you spoil people by calling it out). Also not good to fake spoil for the same reason, people saying your spoiler is fake/wrong means they are saying it *can't* happen.