Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dongicus posted:

is tehre any speech checks inthis game besides "i'll do it.,............ for a price" garbage

Yes, there are quite a few which allow you to avoid a fight or get information easier. That's about it though and they're all Charisma-based.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sector_corrector posted:

Part of suspension of disbelief is up to the creator. Comicbook radiation and mutated monsters are easy, because that's part of apocalyptic fiction (and it's interesting). There's literally no reason to set a story 200 years later and have it look like the next day. It's like starting a story with "It was a dark and stormy night. The sun was shining brightly." That's not the player's fault for not suspending disbelief, it's the writer's fault for sloppy storytelling.

Realistic scale of time is less important than theme and tone. This is far from exclusive to Fallout.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If you're ever unsure what a song is about the answer is pretty much always loving.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Odobenidae posted:

Why? Because if you look two feet to the right you'll see this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eq-AWy7qAw

Why.

I'm legitimately curious, what large-scale games actually feature in-depth eating animations for nameless NPCs in the environment? Like I can understand some criticism but I can't recall any game that doesn't do this or something close to do this.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

T.G. Xarbala posted:

FO4's about on par with the standard, but there's some outliers that put that standard to shame.

Witcher 3 has some fantastic animations in cutscenes but I don't really think it had exceptional generic NPC environmental animations unless I missed something, and I can't think of any other big open world games this year which I'd say looked significantly better. What sort of things are the exception in this case?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Trick Question posted:

So I just started trying to make my base more rad, how do I power the random lights you leave laying around? I tried putting a power conduit on one side of my base-house and wiring directly to a large generator, but it only seemed to get one of my lights. Also, I can't seem to figure out how to door.

Jet (and the jet combo drugs) rule in this game. Chem-ist for MVP (Most Valuable Perk), with a couple levels in it and biomesh on my chest I can slow time for like a minute, more than long enough to murder every living thing in the area before they can even shoot. I've found a couple absolutely absurd drugs in the game world, do you ever get the means to make more/find more/buy more of those? Or are they one and done?

You should be able to make Psychojet and whatever at any chemistry station.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I'm at the beginning of the Mass Fusion quest, where it gives you the choice of allying with the Institute or becoming a permanent enemy of the Brotherhood. Is there a way to avoid making this choice? I really just want to ally with the Railroad, and be chill with the Brotherhood and, yknow, stop by for laundry and Fusion Cores and all that. But it seems like I can't progress on the Railroad quest of "continue working with Father" without making an enemy of the Brotherhood.

The Brotherhood want to kill all synths. The Railroad even have a meeting where they say they are intractable enemies and no chance of peace is possible. It is not possible to avoid making an enemy of the Brotherhood if you ally with the Railroad because the two are mortal enemies.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sneaky Fast posted:

Dang ok. Also are other people finding crazy amounts of stimpacks?

I sat on like 100 of the fuckers, they're super-plentiful.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

One of Kellog's terminals mention that the orders they got was to kill everyone not related to the infant (Shaun), so I guess the scientist was setting up refreezing you and nobody else.
I think the reason you get unfrozen later is a genuine fault in the Cryo system.

No, Father unfroze you himself. He tells you this and if you check the terminal in 111 it mentions a remote access was used to free you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ddraig posted:

Part of what makes an open world game work, or indeed any game or any piece of artwork is internal consistency.

I'd argue the opposite. Many excellent pieces of artwork are more interesting in thematic consistency than they are internal consistency. The people who care deeply about internal consistency over thematic consistency tend to be the people who run the Star Wars wiki.

Yeah, something is screwy if your everything changes from scene to scene (unless that is intentional!) but internal consistency isn't the be-all-end-all goal.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Esroc posted:

At what point in the story are you cut off from all but one of the factions? Is it a very obvious point with plenty of warning? I want to do as many quests for each faction as I can before I get there.

It is super obvious the game literally pops up a thing telling you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

WHen you nuke boston, there is only one.

You nuke boston to save a single synth. If its the needs of the few to the insane.

Wasteland SJWs.

I literally have no idea what you mean by this.

Like there's no point where anything you're arguing makes sense at any point of the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

When you teleport out of the institute, you save a single synth.

Reload your game, turn around and look.

... Did you, uh, miss the fact that they were teleporting Synths out the entire time? Like that was literally the reason. You can even arm the synths so they can help in the uprising. There is dialogue about this.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Only one makes it out alive.

Nuked Boston, saved the toaster.

Except the Railroad has a bunch of dialogue talking about all the synths you saved so uh, no. Like they literally talk about how they saved more synths that day than in the rest of their time period and how they're working on getting them relocated. Most of them are already out of the Commonwealth because they don't want to have to shove a bunch of models in the railroad HQ they were prepared for this.

I can't even go "Well, maybe there's different outcomes" because this is FO4 of course there isn't.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am assuming he is trying to fill the Taint Reaper sized hole in Games' heart at this point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Volkerball posted:

And power armor all the time isn't really viable in the early game with the cost of fusion cores. I'm sure you could beat the game on survival with 1 END if you wanted to prove a point or whatever, but it would be a dumb thing to do when you only need to put 2 special points into it to get a substantial boost to DT and HP.

I had like 40 fusion cores by the end of the game, they're super-common unless you're using them 24/7 (which you have no reason to.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

lunatikfringe posted:

Fallout 4 was very stable out of the box. Sure there were bugs, but what game doesn't have them?

Anyone play Fallout 2 (Interplay/Black Isle Studios) at launch? It was a hot almost unplayable mess until they released patch 1.02 months later. And this was with 2d sprite graphics. Game of the year.

Fallout 4 was unstable as poo poo even on consoles where there is no hardware deviation.

Also yes, Fallout 2 was also hilariously unstable as poo poo. A lot of people just don't remember it or didn't play it until later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FrankieGoes posted:

That's not what I experienced on PC, and not borne out by the vast majority of what I saw people saying at launch

You do know this thread has been active since launch, right? We can literally go back and see you're wrong.

• Locked thread