Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Republican Vampire posted:

The protagonist is a cryogenically frozen pre-war soldier. That was in the VA audition sides too. Same dude turns up at the top of page 1 as concept art.

Fallout 2 had two gag characters based around how dumb a premise this is so obvs they had to do it for reals.

Wasn't that also one of the characters in Mothership Zeta?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

I enjoyed it as a final fall to villainy for my character

"Fall?"

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Someone want to explain to me, again, how these east coast jerks, who are apparently swimming in pre-war money, never mind how Fallout 3 was set where you could probably find the loving presses, still decided to use bottle caps, in spite of being removed by thousands of miles from The Hub?

New Vegas should have made more of an argument about currencies beyond "bottle caps are the most stable-set because water."

I thought the back story to NV was that NCR scrip used to be the predominant currency, but their war with the brotherhood damaged their economy to the point that people started using the water backed caps again.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

horse mans posted:

It makes me sick how much potential was wasted with Drumlin Diner.

Number one. If you get the speech checks, Wolfgang and Simone basically hang out with Trudy and Patrick. They still never say a word to each other. Are you telling me you can't even develop the faintest hint of a storyline between the drug dealers and the diner owners? You can't develop the smallest iota of a plot?

Number two. When Carla hangs out there, you can have as many as three separate merchants in one place. That's more than most of my settlements in each of my playthroughs. And there's a perfectly good settlement nearby, Starlight Drive-In. Why the hell can't you, like, annex Drumlin Diner? Start building residential settlements around the obvious good trading post for a while in most directions?

I'm of the opinion that rather than give you, what is it 40? different settlement locations they should have just given you one, and then had you collect settlers from all over like with the vault-tec guy and the special vendors.

Gynovore posted:

...but New Vegas has pure water in Lake Mead, so they don't need the water traders. (The Colorado River feeds into Lake Mead, so presumably it's uncontaminated, ergo Vegas has all the water they need.)

That's irrelevant to it's utility as currency; there's a town in Columbia that used bricks of cocoa as their medium of exchange after the military drove out the FARC before they could sell it. All that matters is that people value it, and all the better if that value is stable.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Aug 20, 2017

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Gynovore posted:

Drumlin Diner is so half-assed. Trudy has no eat-sleep cycle, she just stand behind the counter 24/7.

I get the feeling that, late in development, they decided that the northern area needed a decent merchant and slapped it down.

Also, she's really happy that Wolfgang is dead, and wants to make sure you know about it.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Really, if Bethesda had actually been interested in doing their own spin on fallout, instead of aping the aesthetic wholesale, they could have gone with the original plan for 1 to use pre-war credit cards, with different colors being used as different denominations.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Bogart posted:

I liked the Pitt. :shobon:

The Pitt had surprisingly good vertical level design, and shockingly bad (even for Bethesda) storytelling.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Maybe with consoles, which don't have access to the usual channels of third party content, they will be able to prop this up longer but I honestly can't think of a single thing that has been added to this game by a mod that I'd be willing to pay money for.

I could be sold on dog power armor.

IF SOMEONE WOULD MAKE IT ::arghfist::tizzy:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

The Iron Rose posted:

Would prefer that NPCs didn't look like blowup dolls with footlong penises?

Then I don't know what the gently caress you're even playing for, honestly.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Cyrano4747 posted:

As always the answer to this is to ignore Bethesda and look at the Interplay/Obsidian version of the FO universe. FO1 is more or less a generation after the apocalypse and everything is mad-max style hosed up. FO2 is a generation after that and things are starting to look mildly normal-ish. Mud hut villages springing up that depend on agriculture plus a few more recognizably modern communities springing up out of the ruins of old cities, complete with trading companies moving scarce commodities (water) from point to point for a profit. Eventually you get the first stirrings of a government as people both try to raid and loot these sources of wealth and others try to protect them.

FONV is about 100 years-ish beyond that point, and you've got no bullshit nation-states developed from what were effectively city states and Hanseatic League-style trading associations in FO2. poo poo isn't 100% on the up and up, but you have complex, developed economies and fully developed internal politics in the NCR. People are manufacturing new things as well - FONV makes it abundantly clear that most of the guns you see are new manufacture using old plans rather than relics of the pre-war era. The main tension in the game is a clash of nations with organized militaries trying to sort out who controls the as yet unclaimed land between them. Hell, it's worth noting that based on talking to people in the game, FONV is essentially out on the frontier. It's not just a western aesthetically, you are out on the as-yet uncivilized fringe bordering what, if you read between the lines, is a more or less rebuilt society in the NCR. THe people out around New Vegas are the same basic character types you see in most frontier societies - the ones who either can't or won't fit in and/or succeed in the developed society that the mining towns etc lie on the fringe of.

The simplest way to explain it is that Bethesda made their games to be deliberately post-apocalyptic, Fallouts 1, 2 & New Vegas were made as games were the setting is, among other things, after an apocalypse.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Cyrano4747 posted:

Sure, but this becomes a pain in the rear end because Bethesda has to hitch their poo poo to an existing IP. If Bethesda were to just make Blowed Up World: The Game whey wouldn't need to deal with the problem that people are still living in bombed out ruins in Boston 300 years after the apocalypse. Generations have been born, had children, their children had children, and their children's children had children without anyone having the idea to do more than put some salvage corrugated steel sheeting over holes in walls.

It becomes even more egregious when they directly reference the poo poo happening over on the west coast. During the bit where you invade Kellogg's memories you get to hear him talking about doing poo poo in the NCR, about the government out there, etc.

I have no problem with post apocalyptic, but trying to shoe-horn this poo poo into an existing continuity just breaks things. Doubly so because you can't even hand-wave FO1 and FO2 as old games from way back when so shut up grandpa, FONV wasn't that long ago and really built upon that branch of the lore.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I think calling the Bethesda games "Fallout" was a mistake and they should have just gone with "The Elder Scrolls: Apocalypse," I just meant that if you ever needed an easy short hand for the difference in design philosophies, "Post-Apocalyptic" vs "After an Apocalypse" is a decent way to categorize it.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Why is criticism of media always derided as people being "mad," anyway?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Deceitful Penguin posted:

"How can this person say that a lovely fastfood hamburger is bad if they buy it over again??"

Yeah, sorry dude, you can enjoy trash and it will still remain trash.

Also, you can never, ever criticize something that you do enjoy. Criticism is to be limited solely to things that you hate utterly.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

xxEightxx posted:

there is a lot to see and do.

Even allowing that to pass unchallenged, you're describing breadth, not depth.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Honestly, the number one thing I'd like is a way to designate a bed as *MINE*. "No, settler, that is MY bed, get back down in your hovel bunkhouse with the rest of your worthless trash farmer brethren. Private living spaces are for EARNERS."

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

isndl posted:

Do I also need a mod for the Lover's Comfort buff? :roboluv:

"Please. Assume. The Position."

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Father Wendigo posted:

Just shooting the poo poo here, but I'm trying to envision how to merge Skyrim's Hearthfire and Fallout 4's settlement system. How would you feel if, in game, you came across a [Stripmall/Minimall/Gated Community/Subdivision/Partially Destroyed Highrise/ECT] and chose what units would go where? You could choose between things like randomized merchants, settlers (randomized loot), merc soldiers, doctors, druggists, mechanics, 'We accept all takers!' (based on luck), defensive encampments, farmers, etc.

It would certainly make a much better argument for having multiple settlements if each one only had a limited number of spaces to build on.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Acebuckeye13 posted:

ARK: Survival Evolved and 7 Days to Die are two off the top of my head

7days is weaker, graphically, but it also has a similar gameplay loop to fallout where you're going into dangerous areas, killing off the locals, stealing their stuff and running back to your fortress of solitude. Unless you're playing it with friends.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
It's not that they're uniquely greedy, it's that they're uniquely incompetent and artless in their pursuit of profit.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Glazius posted:

Settlement population is capped at 10+charisma, so there's only so much centralizing you can do. It is buffed charisma, though, so you can dress up nice and crunch down Mentats to help the cause.

Wait, how does that work if/when your charisma reverts?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
A simple enough explanation would be that they're using subtle replacements and simultaneous blatant attacks to make the commonwealth's communities reclusive as just one step in a long term social engineering project meant to rebuild civilization in microcosm since they don't believe anywhere else has survived.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Trustworthy posted:

I would have loved a synths-only Institute; at least then they might have made a lick of sense.

As is, those dolts' grand philosophy is apparently "Let's create a slightly hardier version of humans that won't go extinct, and then give them the most human minds possible. You know, in this world where the flaws and failures of the human mind, not physical frailty, have created 99% of the world's problems/extinction threats. Durrrrrr."

Teleporters can't zap a modicum of self-awareness or rational perspective that far down, apparently.

It's exactly the kind of solution I'd expect from a bunch of engineers working in isolation for 200 odd years.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
If we're talking about hypothetical "You were a synth all along!" plots, then I'd want to see them have you do the first half of the game as normal, but then after you meet with Shaun at the institute, once you return to the commonwealth everyone acts like they've never met you because you were actually just experiencing a simulation of the commonwealth based on the observations of the other synths.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Liquid Communism posted:

Be thankful these brain-damaged idiots don't drown from staring up at the rain.

I think I'd have preferred that outcome, actually.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

A Sometimes Food posted:

Yeah Fallout 4 really needed more weapon types/tiers. The lack of modern looking guns hurt it too, Fallout has always had 1990s era weapons Bethesda you don't need to stick to 1940s tommy guns and poo poo. And maybe like more tiers of scrap weapons. Like you get the crappy wooden block ones that the poorest raiders use but then like the Forged who have an actual foundry make sweet looking polished metal guns and the Gunners cobble together random prewar military parts for their energy weapons.

Personally, I think they should have just made a bunch of different parts and then let you assemble them in whatever combination you wanted. It would've been harder to balance, but it's single player, and it's not like they tried that hard anyway.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Yeah "builds" aren't so much of a thing in 4.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Didn't someone run the math and show that idiot savant with high int will still give you more total xp than with low int, so there's no point trying to game it?

Edit: nevermind, just checked; with maxxed savant, you want either 1, or 13+ int. It's a net bonus no matter what your int, but it drops off in between those scores.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 5, 2018

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

null_pointer posted:

Goddamn, what were they thinking with Nuka World? Did they think, after being captured and run through a Hunger Games style game-show, I was going to be all "yeah, this sounds like a great career move! Let me be your leader and keep these rival gangs from killing each other!"

Murdered the dude who pulled the strings. Murdered as many generic raiders as I could find. Murdered half the bosses, before getting bored and loving off back to the Commonwealth.

I might try, again, if I was assured that there was a way to gently caress all of these assholes over in the most brutal way possible. Maybe blow up the entire theme park. Jesus.

I haven't played it, but my understanding is that that was their response to everyone who said the game should have been about becoming the Lord Humongous of Boston instead of finding Shane or whatever his name was. Bethesda being... Bethesda, I suppose they felt compelled to cram a forced imprisonment sequence in so the shakes would stop. Really, I was just impressed that they managed to not do it in the main game.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Gobblecoque posted:

An expansion focusing on leading a Mad Max gang of raiders would be extremely cool except in Nuka World you're the "leader" of the raiders just like you're the "leader" of the minutemen which means some guys send you to do stupid fetch quests while they sit around doing dick.

See: Bethesda.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Gobblecoque posted:

An expansion focusing on leading a Mad Max gang of raiders would be extremely cool except in Nuka World you're the "leader" of the raiders just like you're the "leader" of the minutemen which means some guys send you to do stupid fetch quests while they sit around doing dick.

See: Bethesda, recent product history of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

shovelbum posted:

Pop culture reference names for no reason!

I mean, that was just games from that time period in general. Fallout 2 was loving flooded in that poo poo.

• Locked thread