Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Also, my heir who just inherited was Sunni. So now my horde has all turned Sunni. How the hell to I switch back to tengrI? I was expecting a decision to just switch back but I guess that decision is just for heresies.

There are fewer options for converting to an unreformed pagan religion than there are for converting to a non-pagan religion. Your best bet is moving your capital to a Tengri province. If you have 1000 piety and you're independent, you'll be able to convert to the local religion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Aside from Pagans, which definitely need some work, some more features for the tiny Christian sects like Nestorianism and various heresies would be nice, too. Also, I'd love to see Manichaeism get some unique stuff.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I love the wacky religions that nomad hordes can convert to. My last game, some Khan converted to Jainism.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Bishop Rodan posted:

it tells me that I will lose the Khaganate on succession despite having eligible heirs.

I think this part is normal since clan leaders with high prestige can also inherit the khaganate. Make sure your heir has higher prestige than any clan leader.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Swedish Horror posted:

RIP Ragnar, you were just not meant to be.

I know nomads are the cool new thing, but vikings are still better :colbert:

This is the first game I've reformed the Germanic faith and gone feudal, when does the Great Holy War era start? Do crusades need to be unlocked for me to do it?

Yeah, either Crusades or Jihads need to be unlocked for Pagan Great Holy Wars to be available.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Neopie posted:

So I'm playing on the first horse lords version because I'm a wimp who likes my OP hordes: SO Ihave a temple built in 3 holy sites of Tengri. I control all 3 of these sites, though not personally. So why does only one of these count as a holy site with a temple? All of them have priests, I don't directly control the baronies or anything. IS this a bug that got fixed?

If you conquered some of the sites rather than building the temples there yourself, make sure that the person who owns the temple is Tengri.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Servetus posted:

There actually some medieval aristocratic families that would give multiple sons the same first name for generations. Generations here a man's brothers, father, and uncles would all have the same name.

Yup. Some of them even continue it to this day.

quote:

The House of Reuss practises an unusual system of naming and numbering the male members of the family, every one of which for centuries has borne the name "Heinrich".

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I love After the End because I can take my hometown and make it the seat of a powerful empire.

Now I know how Europeans feel when they play CK2!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I haven't played After the End in a long time and I'm really impressed by how much depth it has, all the new events and such. I just got a visit from some European traders and allowed them to set up shop in my realm and I've gotten a couple events relating to that since then, I can't wait to see how far this goes.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Merdifex posted:

I've always wondered why you or any of the other AtE modders haven't worked on some new portrait clothing to add to the extant ones? There's so much interesting post-apoc material culture you could stuff in there that it'd add quite a bit of depth as long as the world-building goes.

And, of course, it's immersion breaking to see wasteland warlords with medieval crowns and all that.

There is new clothing, though. For instance, cowboy hats and football helmets and Confederate Kepis.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Way Of Life in general needs a rework. I think every focus should have some kind of unique action you can take on provinces or characters. As it stands, a lot of the ways of life seem to have very little effect since other than the stat increases you're relying on RNG to deliver the unique events. Hunting is alright because the events you get from that are common enough you typically see the effect every time you take it, but like, Business and Scholarship you can go a whole lifetime and never see any events from it.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Eric the Mauve posted:

For Scholarship you have to take the Build an Observation Tower decision before you'll get the relevant event chain. Which is pretty awesome but not especially useful.

Most of the focuses at least give you interesting options. Theology and Family are the ones that have no useful or interesting purpose I can divine (The +health from Family is nice but Hunting gives the same thing and adds more options). Taking War to duel people is cool but (a) the restrictions on who you can duel are overly tight and (b) you'll probably get killed.

I'm gonna dig around in the files and see what I can do to tone Seduction down. I'd legit pay for a mod that does it well (CK2+ probably does but I don't especially want an overhaul mod.)

A great start would be that trying to seduce someone results in a significant chance both of them refusing, and of them alerting your spouse and/or liege. With the spouse actually able to do something about it when he finds out someone's been loving his wife (automatically becoming a valid dueling target with a big prestige penalty if he refuses the duel would be a no-brainer; also probably a "I want this motherfucker in my dungeon" CB.)

The one thing I've noticed from Theology is that it occasionally gives me a relationship boost event with my court chaplain. About once or twice per lifetime. So yeah, not especially interesting.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Odobenidae posted:

Seduction is a lot better for the AI because for human players it's tedious as hell to keep sending out requests to woo every lady. The AI can do it in a split second.

AI Seduction.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

GunnerJ posted:

I thought that a patch made it so that tutors can't educate someone to be a different religion from their employer?

They can't educate someone to be a different culture or religion than whatever the culture/religion of their court is. So an Italian Catholic ruler who has a kid tutored by an Orthodox Greek in his court won't have his kid's religion or culture converted, but if he was to send his kid to be educated by someone in the court of his Greek Orthodox vassal, or a someone in the Byzantine Empire, then the kid might get culture/religion converted

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Torrannor posted:

A great change?

It's actually pretty sad that you can't really afford to let the AI get a hold of the republic unless you are already a vassal to a big, stable state (like Venice swearing fealty to the Byzantines). I like playing vassal from time to time, and alternating between being the doge and being a mere patrician sounds fun, if the AI could halfway competently manage the realm.

Yeah, right now it's too easy to remain Doge forever. Barring like, 3 or 4 quick ruler deaths in a row, you never seem to have an issue with keeping the title in your family thanks to campaign funds.

Another big problem with Patrician AI I've noticed is that unlanded Patricians never seem to build more than one or two trade posts, even when their cap is much bigger. As a player, the best strategy is to build as many trade posts as possible as quickly as possible (or to be only slightly below cap to leave open the possibility for seizing particularly valuable trade posts). Meanwhile, I've seen patricians content to sit on their huge piles of money at 10 below their trade post limit for a hundred years until I give them some land out of pity, then they get their asses in gear.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

MoreLikeTen posted:

You can auto convert people who come to you trying to convert you, which is basically a must if you start heretic

e: The choice it unlocks has a hilariously reddit-atheist tone to it, something like "I will engage them in theological debate with my superior intellect!"

e2: Also gives you pilgrimage as an event chain, which gives a nice steady stream of piety, and the option to gain/lose a few traits. So really, one of the better focuses, IMO

I thought that that auto-convert option was available from high learning, not from Theology focus. If so, then that's neat I suppose. I still think every focus needs some kind of active power.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Tehan posted:

As Nomads, I always looked north at the tribal defensive pagans, and south at the rich feudal/iqta lands, and went south every time. The insane wealth from bulldozing my way through Khiva and Samarkand let me turn the entirety of my manpower into horse archers and heavy vanguards, but I'd always end up getting nibbled away at by the numerically superior Khazars or Uyghurs and then end up dragged into an apocalyptic war with the Abbasids.

This time, I went north. Started as the Bolghars, nothing but light rider hordes in groups of no more than 1000, checking the season before every war and still losing men by their hundreds when the wars weren't over by the time the six-month winters rolled back around.

And holy poo poo, you guys.

Holy poo poo.

I had a recent similar game as the Bolghar.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
e:: ^^ Nope, no penalty at all. It may be within your interests to send an army lead by your ruler, marshal, and anyone else you want to give a nice martial bonus to to the target kingdom of the crusade. As soon as you step off the boat onto the target, the commanders of any armies you land there will get the "Crusader" trait, giving them +2 martial and a couple other nice bonuses, even if you disband the army immediately and they never see combat.

Tendai posted:

Oh yeah, I know. It was my own dumb mistake, he had like 6 girls and 1 boy and was around 50 years old so in a panic I changed it to absolute agnatic and then suddenly his geriatric rear end got his wife pregnant and she had two more sons while I couldn't change the succession. So I killed them both once I got so old that I was afraid I might die. Everyone hates me, but at least they like my (one) heir.

This game is amazing.

Okay, cool. I'm more after interesting than anything else, I don't care if it's easy even. I'm just not good yet at coming against instant aggression when I've just started.

Harald Fairhair (Ostlandet, southeastern Norway) in 867 makes for a pretty fun start. Norse/Germanic is one of the most fleshed-out religions in the game, for one thing. As Halfdan, you're surrounded by neighbors that are all slightly weaker than you, and Catholics are a kind of distant threat. With the "become King of Norway" ambition, you can easily conquer all of Norway within a few years. This makes you a very powerful ruler and from there the world is your oyster. You're in a good position from there to reform the Norse faith and you'll have big enough armies that raiding will be incredibly profitable.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Aug 23, 2015

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Vichan posted:

I'm about to give After the End another go and want to play as the country/ies with the most fleshed out mechanics, any recommendations?

The Voodoo religion has some fun mechanics and there's a Voodoo merchant republic in New Orleans that I had a lot of fun playing.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

DoubleNegative posted:

No, I tutored her myself. :shrug:

Best I can figure is my character has some turkish blood in her somewhere? She did start the game as Countess of Prusa.

ETA: You can see at the bottom of the screenshot that all of her other brothers and sisters were dark skinned. Charinfo says they're of Ethiopian ethnicity.

Yeah, that's just how the game handles mixed-race people. The offspring of a dark-skinned and light-skinned person is given some shade of skin in between. Sometimes they can be fully black, sometimes they can be fully white, sometimes something in between. Frankly it's a bit of an anomaly that all her siblings ended up fully "Ethiopian."

Anyway, "ethnicity" doesn't affect anything other than character portraits.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Someday posted:

I want to maximize my number of troops. What type of holdings should I build in my demense? Do castles ruled by barons add to my levies?

Yes. You get considerably more if you control the holding yourself, though. You also get more troops in provinces that are de jure part of a title you hold. The optimal strategy for getting troops is to make your capital a max-holding province in a duchy, kingdom, and empire you have the title of, filled with castles you own, with any additional castles you can hold after that being in another province in the same duchy.

If you aren't minmaxing, though, then yeah, just building castles should be good, they provide more troops than cities or temples.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Tendai posted:

If I marry my sister to the king of France and then she starts whoring it up publicly (seriously, like 5+ popups for catching my sister banging various men in about 5 minutes), will that have any effect on his opinion of ME since I'm related?

Because my sister is a whore. Woman, I married you up, we control one county. Control your libido.

Nope. Unless the king gets a divorce, which I've never seen the AI do.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yes, you can be any religion and remain a nomad. The best way to make your preferred son gain prestige is to send him off as a mercenary, a couple years of that and he should surpass even the oldest members of your family (minus yourself) provided no one else in your family has been sent off as a mercenary too.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I noticed a weird bit of AI fuckery. A king-level sultan controlling the duchies of Cyrenaica and Tunisia, with me controlling the stretch between them, had an adventurer invasion that lasted about 20 years and would have gone on longer if I hadn't intervened. The adventurer managed to occupy a province in Tunisia before, I assume, getting beaten and retreating to Benghazi. He didn't have enough troops to effectively besiege Benghazi so he just stood there. Meanwhile, the Sultan's army, which was about 6 times his size, just kept marching back and forth between the province right before Benghazi and the province right before the occupied province. For about 20 years.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I just had something really cool happen. Playing as a King of Sicily, the Pope called a Crusade on France as the king had converted to Waldensianism. I was leading in War Contribution and pursuing the retreating French army. I caught up to them at Chartres, my valorous, maimed King leading the charge, and as it so happened, both the King of France and his barely-reached-majority son and heir died in battle on the same day. Killing two commanders in one battle is rare enough, but for them to be the King and the heir apparent is this astounding event. The crusade immediately ends, as the new King is apparently Catholic, and Aquitaine splits from France as apparently they had a different succession law. I check who the new King of France is and was surprised to find it was my fourteen-year-old nephew, the son of my legitimized bastard half-brother whom my father had married off to some French princess many years before. All of this was totally unplanned.

I'm really chuffed knowing that the Battle of Chartres is going to go down in the history books as a decisive turning point in the history of Europe that people are going to talk about the same way they'd talk about the Battle of Tours or the Battle of Hastings.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
e: ^^ Nope, it's like, Legalism 3 I think, if that.

Yeah. Just save up enough to buy favors from however many councilors you need and you're set. Unless you have a malcontent on the council who's buying favors from everyone else to troll you.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The guy who's working on the Random CK2 generator has a very interesting feature coming soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL0ti4crjvI

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Pakled posted:

The guy who's working on the Random CK2 generator has a very interesting feature coming soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL0ti4crjvI

And now it's been released.
http://ck2generator.com/

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I had a fun game playing as one of the Bretheren off the coast of the Maritimes once. I carved out an impressive empire centered around New Jersey after a prepared invasion.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Demon_Corsair posted:

I need some help. Playing as Ireland, have absorbed Scotland, but I have no idea how to approach taking down England. Just got pushed out of Wales. I need to hire at least 10k mercenaries just go come close to parity with them. I need to get better allies, Denmark doesn't contribute poo poo.

They have been annoyingly stable all games with almost no civil wars for me to try to capitalize on.

Not sure what I can do to try to and weaken them.

Seduce as many medium-to-high-intrigue women in the English court as possible. Having some lovers in the court will make it easier to strategically kill members of the English royal family in such a way as to destabilize the realm.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Drinking mercury cured my cancer once, so anything is possible. :v:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Strudel Man posted:

Mystic physicians are useful, as their treatments can outright cure you of otherwise incurable diseases at the cost of mental traits instead of loss of limbs.

I had a mystic treat my generic illness by cutting off my hand once (and yes I did select the mystic treatment option) so it's not a sure thing. :v:

On the plus side, I didn't get "severely injured" along with it like you seem to with a normal physican.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Strudel Man posted:

It looks like physicians might be the only ones at risk of doing that, anyway. "culture = random" only appears once in the event files, for the "wandering genius" physician hire.

Is there any kind of "culture must still exist" restriction on culture = random? Like, could you end up with a Roman physician?

e: Welp, that's what I get for not reading the post two above mine

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Is this the worst screenshot you've ever seen, turns out the 476 mod does not perform that well. (It is in beta for reapers due, it's possible that when I left it run a bug hit it like a freight train)

Shouldn't there be some pre-Islamic Arabian paganism in there?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Darth Windu posted:

Jesus calm down guys

"I was thinking of converting to Nestorianism, but then I remembered all those guys who cut their dicks off in the name of Jesus and, well, it's hard to argue with that."

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Captain Mediocre posted:

Are there any mods still being updated that alter the physical map? I've played After The End and I find the GoT one kind of dull but I love anything that lets me play with new interesting geography rather than Europe with all its familiar shapes.

The CK2 Generator can generate random maps and even maps based off of drawings you make.
http://ck2generator.com/

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Technowolf posted:

Aztecs? What are you doing?

They decided to explore in the other direction, so what :colbert:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

The Lone Badger posted:

What's a good place to start in learning what seems like a really complicated game? I assume I should start really far down the feudal ladder so I have minimal responsibilities?

Start as one of the counts in Ireland in the 1066 start date. Ireland is known as "tutorial island" for a reason.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

spectralent posted:

I decided to just jump in as poland. I notice I've got all these heretics adjacent to me with kingdoms that could be paying honest god-fearing taxes if I invaded them. Can I do that, somehow?

Right-click on an independent ruler and select "declare war." If the button is greyed out, you can mouse over it to see why it's greyed out. If it's greyed out because you don't have a casus belli, then send your chancellor on a mission to fabricate a claim on one of their counties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

spectralent posted:

So basically my mistake was going to sit on things too early? I should've waited for them to hire more dudes then murder them all too before sitting on things?

Nah, you've got the right idea. Most wars go smash big stack -> Besiege a province -> smash their stack again which by this point has come back and is probably besieging one of your provinces ->Besiege their provinces again, etc.

• Locked thread