Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
So, I bought the base game and Legacy of Rome a few years back but never actually wound up playing it. Now I'm kinda interested in picking it up again, but I'm looking at some of the other expansions, too. Just about all of them sound neat, but I don't wanna throw my wallet out the window buying all of them. I know I wanna pick up The Old Gods for all the beards and paganism (and reformed paganism sounds neat). Which ones do ya'll recommend picking up, and which ones should I pass on?

Edit: Also, is there a good 1080p UI mod available? Playing this on a tv is kind of hard to read some stuff.

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Way of Life is a must, otherwise it's just Old Gods if you're going pagan. Conclave is good, but not something you want to use right away if you haven't played the game before or really want to be a vassal.

Otherwise, just go nuts I say, whenever the next sale happens

And I dunno about any mods like that, I just lower the resolution when I'm on my big screens or sit closer~

I'll check that, then. Thanks.

I'm assuming the next sale will be in about three weeks. That's when Reaper's Due is dropping, apparently.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Also picked up the Ruler Designer because I like makin my own guy. There any tips on how I should go with that? Don't know about which stats I should focus on or what. Do wanna go for a guy for conquering, though. I don't wanna make some Super Human that keels over dead in a year, but I don't wanna make a guy that sucks, either.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
I tried subscribing to the Ruler Designer Unlocker mod, but it doesn't seem to do anything--won't even let me switch to the Mods tab in the launcher.

Edit: Wait, looked it up, had to turn on cloud synchronization

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 7, 2016

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Welp, played through a bit of the game today rather than just fiddling with the ruler designer and looking at mods (Elder Kings looks neat as hell). Game's kind daunting to wrap your head around. But I started a (mostly - used RDU to not fuss over traits and such) vanilla game today, as a norse tribe in Austisland on Iceland. Promptly went and conquered the other county and started to go raid Ireland, got a few counties worth of loot there... and then some other realm, Ostandlet, up and declared war, I got my 500 or so troops back just in time to get their poo poo kicked in by a 2,000 troop army. :v:

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 9, 2016

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I assume they used that Decision that allows Tribal rulers to summon troops.

I don't really have any idea, but their realm was already about twice my size, though.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
So I'm still trying to play the game--managed to make a good start on Iceland at one point. Even managed to get past the tribal stage and go into a Merchant Republic.

I'm so far from the land that the nearest off-Iceland trading post is 300 gold.

This is going to fall apart horribly, I'm sure.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
I figure something about Cats and Cornucopias and completely ignoring the diseases would be funny :v:

Or, alternatively, Crusader Kings 2: Cats, Cornucopias, and Cholera

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

ThaumPenguin posted:

Crusader Kings 2: Going Viral

I gotta go with this one.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

StarMinstrel posted:

Anyone knows of any good CK2 Let's Play, mostly looking for ones that are just decent fun to watch.

It's not video, but the one that got me interested in trying CK2 is Ofaloaf's Gothic Mega LP taking a game of Atilla: Total War and basing a CK2 scenario off of that.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3716022

Still ongoing, but its in between CK2 and EUIV at the moment

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Discussion > Games > Crusader Kings II: Why won't my gay brother murder me already

Welp.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Fortunately Conclave is on sale right now on Steam, 50% off, the 'CKII Collection' is 75% off

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
So I think I had the immortal event chain? Ended with my ruler drink poison and die for reasons, I think?

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

vyelkin posted:

Was just about to ask for the latest version of After the End but I forgot there's a new expansion so I assume it's not compatible. Oh well. Is the new DLC worth the full :10bux:?

So far I like it. There's an event chain that's rare that's supposed to let your char become all immortal. Tryina figure out how to do it correctly, I went whole gung-ho in it and just ended up apparently drinking poison and dying.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Prism posted:

I believe the traditional 'elixir of immortality' had cinnabar and/or quicksilver in it.

You know, mercury.

That might only have been in China though now that I think about it.

Funny thing. One of the successful 'risky' treatments is you drinking a 'liquid metal' feeling better, and wondering what was so risky about it.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Welp, finally got a guy with the immortal trait. Went on to found a Merchant Republic and used all that campaign money to upgrade stuff til I could field a huge retinue to start conquering stuff.

Then he went crazy and apparently the devil up and started talking to the guy? Ended up regrowing a leg.

Funny thing is, my guy's been reigning for about a hundred years at this point and everybody almost everyone still loves him despite that with 'Speaking in Tongues' and other things he has a diplomacy of 2 now..

Fake Edit: And now the devil made him gay. I never thought I'd type that sentence out, but there it is.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
It's a rare event chain in Reaper's Due. I kinda cheated to start it off this time, but I got through it without needing to save scum. MTTH is somewhere around 300 years, with various factors making a bit more likely you'll get it, but still very rare.

There's numerous fail points along the way, even one near the beginning that won't kick in til the very end. So it's... really, really difficult to get.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Roland Jones posted:

Looking at the data someone provided, it's actually a really big improvement, performance-wise; the game now apparently runs better than it did pre-RoI, despite having India and stuff. Only big bug I've seen mentioned more than once is an issue with the music that can be fixed by turning dynamic music off or something.

Anyway, since I'm just getting back into this, could someone explain shattered retreats to me? I tried looking them up but all I found was people complaining about them, and their hyperbolic histrionics didn't seem like the best way to understand what the mechanic actually does.

From what I can gather, shattered retreats are enemy armies running several counties away before being controllable/attackable again, normal retreats, I think, are just one county?

Edit: And now my Devil possessed immortal god doge is telling me Jesus is telling him to lead armies.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

SkySteak posted:

Is it me or are a lot of counts unfun to play as? I knows some can be quite a boon (IE: Ireland) but it feels like 90% of them are simply waiting decades and decades to do almost nothing on a pittance of cash. Am I doing something wrong or is it that Dukes are way more fun even if a little eaiser?

Personally, I like starting as a count in Manaw. It's where I started my current Merchant Republic run. Now I've got half of Pictland conquered and am starting on Ireland

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

widespread posted:

Alternatively: Crusader Kings II: Sir Hands' Butt Physical

Also I am so loving sold on this game right now when the gently caress is it on sale

Just missed the sale, I'm afraid. Had the big ol' $160 collection available for $40

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Well, my immortal god doge has flip-flopped from insane and possessed to normal and back to lunatic/possessed, and then dropped possessed again. Meanwhile I went and conquered Pictland and got a new republic name for it, Alban, with an apparently incredibly lucky Fabricate Claim hit of the entire kingdom. I've conquered almost half of england know when I noticed I can press a couple weak claims, they're normally always up but I just ignore them because they're normally just a small duchy in France or something. But this time I noticed I can press a Duchess' claim on almost all of Italy.

I need to hurry up and become an emperor so I can make a vassal Italy.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Solemn Sloth posted:

stack your council with loyalists, buy favours rather than owing them a favour for council support (they'll just call it in to force a vote grabbing back power in the future), grind their power into dust.

Biggest thing I've found is do not underestimate 'Send Gift', if you can get someone to like you enough they'll turn into a loyalist all on their own and you won't need to deal with favors.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
So, my insane immortal god doge became a cannibal. Apparently devouring people doesn't give the tyranny penalty/piety cost. Mildly balanced by the permanent -50 Crazy Cannibal modifier, still better than the -80 I went through when half my realm decided to go on a civil war for more council power. Heads rolled.

Kind of weird they'd be mad at me for executing people for rebellion 'because I didn't have cause.' What do you have to do to deserve execution if flat out civil war isn't it?

Edit: Also doesn't seem to give the 'You killed my parent/child/sibling!' modifier or whatever it is.

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 31, 2016

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You had already punished the rebels by imprisonment, execution is considered excessive and has few valid reasons.

It's weird, though, another case it comes up, I believe, is if you imprison someone for a plot you can execute them fine with no penalty, but if you fail on catching them and they rebel, then you capture them at the end... you get the penalty for executing them then.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
And another maybe bug that just hit me.

Apparently you can be hit with slander by someone outside of diplomatic range? I was slandered by someone in Africa as a British ruler.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
And now apparently one of my own counties got called into a war against me by Defensive Pact but its... not rebelling? Still has the same realm color and doesn't have its own outline, just the glowing red thing from the war.

Edit: ...is there a cap on how high you can get a levy from a single county? My army is basically just my capital's levy and my retinue, and that makes up about 30k troops, about an even split between them.

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 31, 2016

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Autonomous Monster posted:

Eh, if I remember correctly in the game's time period imprisonment wasn't generally thought of as a punishment in itself. Criminal were punished by execution, torture, mutilation, ritual humiliation, fines etc.; the dungeon was just a basement you kept people in until you decided what to do with them.

Yeah, kinda odd that a game set in the middle ages doesn't want you to go medieval on people.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Probably modder fodder, but I would love events in the game to actually recognize you were immortal. How many times is my doge going to get outed for being gay? He's been gay for a hundred years now...

Nobody notices your immortal, too. It seems almost like it could be a different playstyle, where you can either try to keep it secret, go in hiding, 'die' then come back 'as your heir' every so often. Or, you could come out an admit being immortal, maybe even try to start your own god-king pagan religion, course, you'd get a lot of outside people hating/envying you and wanting to kill you.

Maybe Elective Monarchy/Merchant Republics could revolt if you're immortal and don't hold elections every X years.

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 1, 2016

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Welp.

My immortal god doge just ate the Pope.

I'm shocked there wasn't anything special for that.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

United Mare Nostrum

Horse Lords.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
So, I'm about 400 some odd years into my immortal doges reign. I've conquered all of Britannia and pretty much conquered the kingdoms of West Francia and about half of Aquitaine, I pretty much bisected the French empire. But there's just... so much of it! It's pretty much just me and them in Western Europe at this point. Give or take some parts of Spain and about half of Italy belonging to the Byzantines.

I'd heard about the Big Blue Blob, but man.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Hadaka Apron posted:

I heard that the reason that merchant republics are agnatic-only is because they didn't know how to deal with a situation where two heads of houses got married.

...don't let them get married? Get an automatic divorce if one of the two becomes head of a patrician family.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Angry Lobster posted:

I'm thinking of buying this game, what DLCs should I consider and which ones I should skip?

Honestly, if you're buying the game this weekend, go ahead and look at getting the Complete Pack, because otherwise it's too costly to really get outside of the sale. ($160 or so instead of the current $40)

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

TorakFade posted:

That guy who got his manhood restored by Satan? Yeah, his dick should get that nickname.

Crusader Kings II: Satan, the first Natural Male Enhancement

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Psht. All this talk of converting religions, if you're immortal/possessed/lunatic you should have a rare option/event to proclaim yourself God Emperor and found your own religion.

Darkrenown posted:

I'll see what I can do about some justified executions. Personally if someone is annoying enough I saw them in half regardless of tyranny though.

I'm just surprised that Treason/Civil War isn't grounds for execution when it comes to Tyranny. If that isn't, what is?

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 7, 2016

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Deceitful Penguin posted:

It would be cool if there were different types of immortality. Forever young, stuck in the same age or of course, good old "grow old but never die, end up incapable forever until someone, mercifully, takes you out or the seven bad health traits get you".

I believe that actually happens if you get the immortal trait as a child or pick it through the Ruler Designer Unlocker mod. Something about changing the portrait from Child to Adult breaks that part of the trait.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
I took to devouring them because that didn't give the tyranny penalty.

They might hate me for being a crazy cannibal, but they would have hated me more for executing 8+ traitors traditionally.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

YouTuber posted:

So apparently some guy on Reddit has come up with a Random World Generator. That is; a mod that crafts a new map, tiles, and topography in addition to a generator that creates a new timeline and religions.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CrusaderKings/comments/51pod5/random_history_map_generator_for_ck2/

Of all the mods that have come and gone since release; this is easily the most ambitious.

Holy crap. That's something that's worth a DLC, imo. They need to hire that guy, polish that program, maybe make some customization options in the generation and just release that with official support.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Omnicarus posted:

You're in luck! You can only die violently!

Oh, no. I got that event on my Immortal God Doge. 40% chance of death. He died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
So, what mods would all of you recommend? Outside of total conversion mods, I mean.

I'm just using Ruler Designer Unlocker and a font mod right now.

• Locked thread