Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I encountered an unusual bug. I play EU4 on my laptop and if I pause the game, close my laptop, and then open the laptop again, it unpauses.

That, and the building list is somehow hotkeyed to the volume buttons for some reason, which is really annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I got targeted by a nation with espionage. Discontent is really annoying, since it tanks my legitimacy; which is really hard to recover early in the game. Any tips for ousting spies?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I keep getting the notice "Too Few Seats in Parliament" as England. How many seats do I need to give out to make that go away?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I've put a lot of hours into this game, but I feel that that my skill level has kind of plateaued. Can you advise anything I can watch or read in order to get good?

Also, are monarch traits totally random, or is that something that I can influence?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
So I come back from not playing a while and see there's a new expansion. What stuff will I be missing out on without Cossacks? Feel free to just point me at a post because I'm an idiot who's too lazy to read.

Also, why do I see so many people playing as Kazan in my brief scan of the thread?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Just booted up EU4...What happened to Iron Man Mode?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Question: Should I be converting province cultures and if so, when?

Also, some more questions.

Should I be concerned when I have a choice between new units as I advance my military tech? What should I go for?

How should I be building my armies? As in, ratios between infantry/cavalry/artillery. I've seen mention of replacing infantry with mercs, which I will try when I have the money. Also, does Land Maintenance reduce the maintenance cost for mercs, or is it just standing armies?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Tsyni posted:

Yeah, this would make a lot of sense. Even at the cost of some stability or uprisings or something.

Claim Strength would be the most logical cost. You've got three potential randomized heirs with different levels of Claim.

But I could see other costs put in place for if you don't want to suffer a regency.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Just drive them to a white peace. Revolts will do the rest.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Pellisworth posted:

You gain Favors passively (1 per year?) while allied, and you earn them by assisting in your ally's wars.

It's based on size relative to your ally (I assume based on army and navy).

I wonder what's the "equal" strength rate?

Anyway, I'm seeing people doing all these big, fast-conquering horde runs. How do you manage revolts? I feel like I must be doing something wrong.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Bort Bortles posted:

I've restarted a dozen times as Kazan and I have never had Uzbek not rival Timurids, which means I can only ally with one, and I thought the best Thing To Do as Kazan was to ally both?

That's basically what trying to start a Kazan game is. You're going to have to restart a lot until you get that ideal diplomatic situation.

I know your frustration.

And looking at the 1.15 notes, I'm tempted to just wait to play again until it goes live. Those are some great changes to Estates and diplomacy.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Fintilgin posted:

It's a little annoying, yeah. Might be nice to have the option to quit from any screen. Doesn't come up much, but I've mostly just been starting a game as some random county and then quitting.

When I remember.

When I hit "back" from nation selection intending to quit (to load/unload a mod, check the wiki/whatever) and the game quits and reloads I always :ughh:

Yes this is terrible. I was just about to post about it.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

vuohi posted:

- Here's tiny Castile, its capital in Canarias, coexisting with Spain. I don't know how this is even possible, because I know that Castile received the Iberian Wedding event earlier.

Heh, I've got tiny Castile in my game too. Aragon ate all their Iberian land, became Spain, and now Castile rules from Xhosa in South Africa!

None of this was my doing. I'm going for Great Khan and I don't think I've ever actually fought either of them.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Hey, how do you guys get those neat map pictures?

I just finished Great Khan and I wanna show off the weird map.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I think I did alright for myself

I got the Great Khan achievement at around 1770. I'm not very good at big conquest achievements. This is my I don't even know how many-th attempt.

Some odd bits:
Aragon formed Spain and castile is now a rump state based in South Africa--however a late game war returned Iberian provinces to them.
The Ottomans folded hard when I hit them midgame. I only had to fight them twice and then everyone declared on them to take a piece. Hence the weird borders in the balkans and the resurgent Mamluks (rebels, I think).
Russia never formed (not my fault). They just got really unlucky in their wars with Lithuania and Sweden. Which is a damned shame, because otherwise I could have gotten the Guarantor of Peace achievement.
Basically the entire New World broke free halfway through the game--thanks to Aragon eating Castile, I think. This resulted in me having to beat emerging American powers to the remains of the Ming. They kept trying to take chunks that I needed.
Also, Ming never really broke up in this game. By the time I got to them, they had actually expanded a fair bit into the west, north, and Indochina. So it was a real slog eating through them--and I couldn't even get them to break apart from a war, either. My lucky break came when some other interest forced them to release a few kingdoms.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Any tips for a Grenada run? I've been trying for a while--got rather lucky with Castile getting stomped into the mud in an inheritance war over Navarra--but Aragon just comes along and stomps me in Castile's place.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I remember someone mentioning this earlier in the thread: I'm also seeing the allies of enemies join in on wars despite being ten or more on the negative side to joining. Is this supposed to happen?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Eej posted:

Always Be Sniping Alexandria/Cairo before the Ottomans get there.

Also grab your achievement provinces and quit your game.

I recently just had great success going straight for Egypt--too much actually. I got big allies in Europe and when the Ottomans attacked me, they got crippled and shortly after, the Ottos lost most of their land west of the Bosphorus, including Constantinople. So most of the game I had to build up--not to face the Ottos so much as to face the terrifying power block in Europe. Would have taken a screenshot, but it doesn't appear to be working at the moment. Here's what happened.

The Commonwealth blobbed waaaaay the gently caress out, ate Russia. By the time I got the achievement, they had a force limit of around 300--and no ideas that boosted force limit. That's scary.

Spain, meanwhile. ate France. All they had left by 1650 or so was a bit by Caux and a few islands.

Both hated me. Spain allied with the Ottomans, making chipping away at the ottos very frustrating. Basically, you ended up having a bunch of giant superpowers halfway through the game, with the Commonwealth and Spain on either side; and me, Austria, and Hungary (which ate the Balkans) in the center.

So yeah, the real problem for me with getting Constantinople was not just that I had to break ranks with my power bloc, but that the other big powers haaaaated me. I did get lucky; Austria got into a war that kept them occupied so I could attack Hungary without breaking my alliance with them. I even lucked into a union with Austria a little later, which helped me scare off the coalition that formed.

I Am Fowl fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Feb 8, 2016

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Eej posted:

Fighting Europeans as Ethiopia is really annoying because they'll sail all the way around the Cape just to drop troops "behind" yours unless you have a big fat navy hanging around. Also PLC is always eyeballing Constantinople.

This is why it's good to section off your empire with forts once you've got the money. At least one at each strait, one down by Pate and so on. That way, at least they have to break down the forts before going further. After all, I've never seen AI go around a fort with transports.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Also, I got what I feel is a good idea for an achievement from my Ethiopia run--using the abolition decision, totally eradicate the slave trade. In other words, remove every slave province from the map. No harder than Norwegian Wood, I would imagine. Maybe call it "May the Wilberforce Be With You" or something silly like that.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Now me, I would ignore Arabia for the most part. Sure, if it's your only avenue of expansion, expand. But the only thing worthwhile is Mecca (extra missionary is you really need it) and the strategic trade province for Gulf of Aden. And you really shouldn't grab Mecca unless your religious unity is high or you're confident that you can convert it. You would need an inquisitor and the boost from Religious ideas at a minimum. High stability and the boosts that you get from decisions at Admin 8 & 10 help too.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Bort Bortles posted:

I, uh, am earning a bunch of achievements this run. Already got Respected and one or two others....never expected to get Magellan's voyage too. The showing text is broken and I wish it was at least a little customized for the nation who completed it.

France rivaled me :suicide:

I'm halfway done westernizing; I am on track to complete it right before the turn of the century.

I have a toehold in Indonesia but Pasai just allied the Ottomans :sigh:

I think I am going to dive into India once Westernization completes.

I have so much money I am not sure what to do with it, I think I need to build more armies...(I only have one of ~25 infantry, 6 Cav, and 10 artillery)

edit: Is it bad that I want to take Quality as my first military idea, because I could get 7.5% Discipline and 10% Morale from policies? I am desperate for military bonuses...

if you're flush with cash (from gold mines, I'd assume), replace the infantry in your armies with mercs. And, assuming that you're earning most of your cash from gold, you've probably got huge inflation. Investing in production buildings will boost your income and reduce inflation gain.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Bort Bortles posted:

Is there an event that gives Madagascar fully colonized to a European country? Spain went from having nothing there to it be three fully developed cities faster than they should have been able to colonize...

Not to my knowledge. it's just that Spain gets an extra colonist and their final national idea boosts settler speed so they can grab the whole of Madagascar in one go and develop it fast. Plus, they've probably got better Diplomacy tech than you, so even better settler speed.

Oh yeah, and obviously you should eat Persia if at all possible. That's a lot of manpower and money. Songhai isn't a bad idea either. There's a surprising number of high-development provinces, plus some gold and exotic resources.

Who is Iraq allied to, by the way?

I Am Fowl fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 12, 2016

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Odobenidae posted:

You're the first person I've heard of who uses the Automatic rebel suppression feature in EU4, I don't know if they'll update that any time soon.

I use it sometimes if I'm aggressively feeding a vassal.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

PittTheElder posted:

Pretty much all the DLCs are great, but some unlock some pretty specific stuff, so if you're not going to play there you don't need it right away. The wiki describes it well, and if you click on any expansion it'll break down the spread of paid features you need the DLC to use, and the free features that came with that patch: http://www.eu4wiki.com/Downloadable_content

No mods are really considered a must have, aside from cosmetic map ones. Thicker Borders and Recolored Water (TBARW) looks very nice; the transparent political mapmode optional in particular is a must have in my opinion.

I've never used mods before but the look of these maps has intrigued me. Can you use a mod and still play Ironman?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
The Ceylon achievement seems like just what I need while we wait for the next patch. Not much going on in India, after all.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I'm starting a Ceylon game; any advice on starting moves and ideas?

I'm thinking since the main Ceylon achievement involves converting India, do you think I should have Religion as my first or second administrative idea?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Average Bear posted:

It also only lasts 10 years and you pay basing rights I think

Doesn't it eat a diplomatic relations slot too?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

junidog posted:

Idea for changing the annoying hostile core creation ideas: change them to minimum local autonomy ideas. If you changed the +50% core cost to +33% minimum LA you'd have the same cost/benefit ratio (normally you'd pay 90 admin to core a 3/3/3 province; with +50% core cost you pay 135 for those 9 dev; with this you pay 90 but it acts like a 2/2/2), so it could provide the same deterrence in AI calculations, but it feels less annoying to the player, and still lets you conquer if your goal is taking land away from the enemy vs. holding it for yourself (e.g. as Spain it doesn't matter how much trade power you get from Tangiers, you'll have 100% of Sevilla as long as Morocco doesn't control it). Maybe throw +5/10 years of separatism in there too to make it a bit more of a short-term pain.

One thing that bugs me about increased coring: it never goes away. The province could change hands a dozen times and the original owner can lose the core (pretty sure on this one) and the increased cost will stay.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
All the DLC should be cut down by at least half then.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Odobenidae posted:

That does suck for them, but in some sense it's closer to history. The differences between the way the new world was colonized in comparison to the old world is evident today. Most of the indigenous Americans died and left room for euros to fill the now empty space with their own population. Meanwhile in Africa there were plenty of indigenous Africans there already, so colonies had much less native Europeans.

In gameplay terms it only seems to gently caress with the player though. The colonizing AI nations always have excess states and never seem to use trade companies anymore, so they end up culture converting everything they grab in Africa anyways.

Not changing culture makes sense.

Not changing religion? Not so much. Mostly this just, as stated, fucks over non-euros. Like I was giving a Kongo run a try, started colonizing and remembered "Oh yeah, even stuff on my own continent is going to obey these stupid new rules. Well, there goes a year+ to convert each colony..."

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
The lategame is nonstop sabotaging and it's infuriating. If I didn't take Influence Ideas, I wouldn't be able to integrate vassals anymore.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Any advice for Granada? Are there certain start conditions I should shoot for or a particular ally I need?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
On a related note, is it just me or is the game not actually estimating the maintenance cost of states? I go to turn a territory into a state, the tool tip says "This will bring you .5 ducats and costs zero in state maintenance" but when I make it a state it always has a state maintenance cost--sometimes in excess of the worth of the state. I understand that part of this likely considering future value once autonomy decreases--but if I can't see the potential maintenance cost then I am kind of blind.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
The issue is that it seems to always show the estimated maintenance cost as zero which is weird (and it never is). Is there something I'm missing?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Bit of an embarrassing question: One of my colonies has gotten into a defensive colonial war and I just realized that I have no idea how to come to their defense!

To I Enforce Peace or is there some other option? Is there any way I can bring my allies in to help me and my colony?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

TorakFade posted:

I think it's bugged right now, normally you'd be automatically called in but it's not working like that :(

Try to enforce peace, the enemy will probably refuse so you can enter the war, but no calling your allies into this I am afraid (or at least I didn't figure out how)

Wow, this is really bugged as gently caress--I can only call in allies on one of the wars my colony got into (The computer seems to have decided it's the one with the mesoamerican minor and ONLY after the war with the major power ends). But not the nasty one. Not even a grayed out option. But the aggressors sure as gently caress can. And on top of that, because I have to come in by imposing peace, my colony gets to decide when the war ends and they fold when are at like -30% warscore.

I Am Fowl fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 22, 2017

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I'm getting really disappointed with my current Grenada run. I finally managed to get one off the ground, but the Colonial Wars bug makes it so I as soon as I make colonies, someone else steals them--and if I try to take them back, colonies/countries in the region don't have treaties with my now newly-formed colony BUT they have a reconquest casus belli so they just eat it while I have to watch or eat a stability hit. To make it even worse, I can't really expand into the east because the Ming have made a good chunk of the minors out there into tributaries and there's no loving way I can fight them in their current form.

Honestly kind of disappointed in the current shape of the game. :(

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Peas and Rice posted:

Oh neat, I started a great Byzantium game yesterday and now my save doesn't work. :smith:

And my Grenada game :gonk:

I guess I can always try reverting.

Does this patch fix the colonial wars bug?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I've gotten a pretty decent Aztecs game past the first stage (the five reforms) and its taken the Europeans forever to show up. What ideas do you think I should lean towards after I reform fully?

• Locked thread