Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Technowolf posted:

Is it ever worth it to get involved in the Religious League Wars if you're not in the HRE?

In addition to what skasion said, you get +0.5 Army Tradition and -5% military tech cost for 100 years, just for having been part of any war at all. So if you're an easily defended nation like Britain or Scandinavia, you can and should join and just do nothing to pick up a sweet bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Why did they make all the provinces all squiggly and ugly? It's empty sand anyway.

What's the alternative? They used to go with much cleaner and rounder province borders, and it looked much worse. Having a fade into the wastelands would be kinda cool though.

PS Paradox fix the map projection

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

don't stop i'm so close

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:eyepop:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Bold Robot posted:

I could see that mod being pretty fun if you want to play an HRE game, but how does it work for nations with off-map sources of income or manpower (e.g. the tiny piece of Poland in the first screenshot)? Or what about nations that receive trade from off-map?

In the original mod I think they modeled France by creating coastal crossings over the wasteland provinces, and then giving the few French centres just absurd development levels. Presumably they would take a similar approach to Poland. But yeah, you'd think they'd run the map out as far as Russia as a counterweight to Pol-Lit.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Austria inherited France?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

In my game AI Chagatai actually managed to get all the way up to like 350 dev, didn't slow Ming's reforms down at all.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_Wars

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

That and Ming should not be auto-called in to defensive wars that were declared on a Tributary by a non-Tributary. And the AI should be more willing to stop being a tributary if they are rich/powerful enough.

Yeah these are the real problems. Being able to pay Ming an annual tribute in exchange for not getting ganked is good, having Ming fight their way across the Himalayas to intervene in a Steppe Horde dispute is much less so.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

That would take two years, and be called EU5.

Still should do it though.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

It does seem like it would be cool to have a 'front commander' type AI, where you could assign the 25k troops and 30 ships in South Africa to take Objective Forts A & B, and the AI would just have at it and report back to when done. Like, for minor theateres with low threat levels.

Similarly, it would be very nice to assign an army to a region or whatever, tell it to defend this from any stacks it thinks it can beat, and yell if a more powerful army enters. Would be even better for Fleets.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

The 1.19 beta system

1.19 was really intuitive which was great, but if it's the patch I'm thinking of, it had serious issues for smaller countries. Those same issues with military access meant that for any smaller country, or any irregularly shaped one, you lost all the strategic control advantages forts gave to larger countries; losing any battle meant death because you couldn't ever find safety to recover morale.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Poil posted:

Um, it says they have admin tech 4, diplo tech 7 and mil tech 8. Also the tooltip states they have not unlocked any ideas at all, as in they don't have a single idea in any group. None at all. No idea groups and no ideas. All they have is their base traditions they started the game with. That's where it tells you if they have Exploration (2) or whatever which is what the game displays if they have unlocked exploration ideas and put two ideas in it.

Well the lack of ideas isn't exactly surprising given the tech levels, since your first idea group only unlocks at level 5. But yeah I have no idea where those points could be going.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Eldred posted:

Speaking of trade companies, what's everyone's take on them vs. keeping those provinces as territories or states? I get that state maintenance ramps up based on distance from the capital so you don't want to state provinces in say, Indonesia but I'm wondering everyone's thoughts on when it's worthwhile to make a province part of a trade company.

Hold on to them for the 6-8 months it takes to convert them, then add to trade company always.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

aqu posted:

What is the benefit of religious conversion in this scenario?

Unrest reduction.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Needs to be one i, so that we can have a achievement to accumulate a series of improbable boni while playing as Mali.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 13, 2017

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Schizotek posted:

They also had a hell of a hard time doing it. They had to reconquer several of them because it didn't stick. As it is the Ottomans blob way faster and more successfully than their historical counterpart did. Giving them a slight speedbump might make playing other countries in the region less of a poo poo show.

The Ottomans are kinda of weird in their blobbing. They blob really fast into Anatolia as they absorb their cores, but when it comes to Europe or Egypt, the Ottomans really don't blob fast enough.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

They should just give the Ottomans an event or decision that cedes the Levant and Egypt to them if they control Cairo, but gives all the provinces high autonomy and a penalty to autonomy reduction. It's not like there isn't precedent for that kind of thing, the Ottomans already get an event that just gives them Crimea as a march.

Yeah it's this absolutely. Just floor autonomy even, to recognize the sort of kinda-sorta separateness Egypt enjoyed. The Otto's still get trade control and are free to go gently caress with Europe.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

50 DIP for +1 Development is also just crazy, plus it comes with an extra -20% dev cost.

I assume those clicks are actually on pretty long cool downs.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah I was surprised to see that as well. Especially with the addition of the Theocratic Monarchy government or whatever it was called to the area; you'd really think they'd add some mechanic for a Persian state to use conversion to Shia to consolidate their hold on the region.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Peas and Rice posted:

Then how do I get my king and queen back in the bedroom? Because right now I've got a big red warning that England and France are going to duke it out to see who I end up underneath in a personal union.

Just declare war on some nobody far away and drag it out forever.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

So I'm attempting a holland -> Netherlands game, and Spain just inherited the Low Countries. Breda was the last core I needed for the decision and they got it right as I was about to pop off on Brabant for it. Should I restart? Also what is the best case scenario for the Burgundian inheritance?

How is France doing? They should be real keen on being your pal right about now.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I wouldn't worry about Qara, they'll be super easy to knock over pretty much whenever. Being a Horde, it only gets easier the longer you wait really.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Marxalot posted:

I haven't the foggiest idea what caused it. I didn't catch it until the last second, and I wasn't really aware terrain was a thing.

Terrain is an extremely important modifier, perhaps the second most important factor (after generals), assuming rough tech parity.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

I take whatever level of adviser I can afford because monarch points are usually more valuable than the handful of ducats that better advisers cost

This. Basically any method to convert ducats into MP is worth it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Sephyr posted:

Finally doing a Muscovy run after getting the DLC. Do I even need expansion/exploration to colonize Siberia now? I'm thinking starting with religious for the extra Tolerance of the True faith and to help eat into sunni hordes, but after that, no idea.

Under no circumstances should you pick expansion; Religious and Economic are vastly better picks, Admin is ok too but the mercenary bonuses are just wasted on you. Exploration would be ok-ish, but I'd much rather have something else instead, Siberian Frontiers gives you all the colonizing power you can really benefit from.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, isn't the whole game like $200+ now if you wanted to buy the complete bundle from scratch?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah I really want to see that timeline.

Though the Tibetan China is so implausible I have to think there was something wrong with the initialization somehow.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

You need to start mashing that abdicate button, pronto.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Zikan posted:

new thread title needed imo

:agreed:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

buckets of buckets posted:

Can someone recommend me a start? I'm kind of sick of europe and want a new challenge. I like unifying cultural groups but I dislike colonizing if that helps

Orissa.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

yeah dissolve button is on the HRE screen, not the peace screen

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Sephyr posted:

And it's grayed out saying I cannot dissolve the HRE since I'm the Emperor. Does it have to be done WHILE at war? Ugghhh.

Yeah, you have to be at war since you must occupy the emperor's capital, and you can't be the emperor. Which is silly because Napoleon didn't disband the empire, Francis II did, to preempt Napo from usurping the title.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Gobblecoque posted:

They should just make it so tributaries don't get to auto call Ming into war. The fact that the tributary doesn't have to worry about the biggest power in the world coming to mess their poo poo up is already a pretty nice deal.

Yeah this is the staggeringly obvious change that should have been done ages ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Europa Universalis IV: COME ON AND JAM, AND WELCOME TO ISLAM

:agreed:

• Locked thread