Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Forts are super cool, but the fort mapmode is useless and it should be made more clear that your free capital fort doesn't have a zone of control.

I think that being able to annex provinces you haven't sieged is really backwards considering how easy it is to siege provinces without a fort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Are separatist rebels being able to near-instantly siege down a province and give you umpteen more years of nationalism an intended change? Didn't see anything about that in the hotfix :(

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

the JJ posted:

So this patch snuck up on me, what do I knock it down to to finish out my save?

Current version is 1.12, and the last beta you can roll back to on steam looks like version 1.11.4.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

Don't forget the increased coring cost which makes you substantially less tasty to other players in a multiplayer game. If you have some national ideas which increase your coring cost too, I've seen provinces with around 40ish development which cost nearly ONE THOUSAND ADMIN POINTS TO CORE.

That sounds like good advice on paper, but it actually works against you. It's less of the fact that they're not going to like taking your provinces, it's that they'll smash you before you can possibly infect any more of the map with your poison cores.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Quick question before I do something potentially stupid: can I give provinces to a vassal I am currently annexing in a peace deal?

Yes, it will add on the cost to diplo-annex the new provinces to the running total that you're currently paying off.

e: That'll teach me to not refresh the page before I post :argh:

Morzhovyye fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jun 17, 2015

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I'm going to assume that army tradition wasn't tweaked at all in 1.12/CS because despite constantly being at war I check back to my military page and see that I have ~10 AT every single time. My guess is that sieges were changed drastically with the addition of forts and they just forgot or skipped over changing the AT to counteract that. It's super lame having to waste mil points just so that I can get a crappy 0/0/1/0 general for the dozenth time.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

I booted up an Ayutthaya game. I set up some alliances on day 1 and got a mission to conquer Angkor. Did that but now I have ~bad karma~. Should I just be vassalizing and diplo-annexing as much as possible? Should I be developing provinces with my lovely tech group?

I've been playing as Ayutthaya and the only way to deal with Karma is to ignore it or never conquer anything. The -10% Discipline is annoying and almost lost me a few easy wars, but a +5% advisor can negate that almost entirely.
I haven't even touched my provinces yet in terms of development, the consensus seems to be that only western nations have enough excess points to make development useful. I went humanist (which synchronizes with your national ideas nicely) and there's a handful of events that randomly dole out +1 basetax to a province, which is nice.

Question for my Ayutthaya game: It's ~1585 and the first colonizer (Spain) is making their way east. They only have one province on the gold/ivory/whatever coast so far, but i'm going to bet they'll be hopping towards me soon enough. Any ideas on what I should do? Try to stop them by colonizing everything in their way? Let them in and steal a province to westernize off of?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Fargo Fukes posted:

I got a bunch of hours into my first Ironman game yesterday, as Tuscany trying to form Italy, and when I went to load up the save today it's not there. What the heck? Anyone know what's gone wrong? Things were going a little ropey (I was heavily in debt and kinda messed up after having to single handedly wear down the armies of Hungary, Bosnia and the Papal State whilst my ally France spent two or three years sieging down forts in Savoy and being no help at all. Bastards. Fight your own drat wars from now on King Louis, I'm allying Poland :mad:) but still salvageable.

Ironman games are saved to the steam cloud, while just opening the save game folder defaults to the local save games. There should be a Cloud button under the list of your normal savegames where you can toggle between the two folders.

Question: Is there any downside to letting a group of pretender rebels win? I've got some lovely 1/0/2 ten year old in a regency after my 4/5/6 god king died at age 30. I finally figured out where to look for to find the pretender's stats, the guy in question is much better and has a strong claim. In the stability tab it says they'll only change the gov't type when they win, but everything I'm looking at online has a conflicting reports of either stab hits, low legitimacy, -200 prestige etc.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Jabarto posted:

Wiz is posting some interesting things about the upcoming patch on the Paradox forums:

Source: Is there any reason to build a higher tier fort than 1?

Source: +5 cost per development needs to go.

They both sound like really good changes to me.

The lack of army tradition and high development costs were the only two things that I didn't like about the common sense patch, this is great!

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Prop Wash posted:

I don't necessarily dislike the mechanic but I hate that it's completely undocumented. You have no way of knowing it exists until you vassalize that one specific country.

I'm pretty sure it's because the two nations are historical rivals, it explains this when you mouse over their total liberty desire. You can check that just by looking at your relations with them.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Trying to get a Wallachia game off the ground is not easy. The Ottomans warn you seemingly every time, and if you don't ally Poland fast enough you're first on the chopping block. The one game I managed to survive for a meaningful amount of time Hungary fell under a PU with Austria, leaving me no routes of expansion. I managed to get on Bosnia's side in a war but Serbia had too many alliances to make any gains on them.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

THE BAR posted:

Getting a pop-up telling me that Friesland has been the first to circumvent the globe made my day yesterday.

Norway was the first in my Ayutthaya game, and it was around ~1600. The only reason I didn't do it is because the route it forces you into is the loving dumbest and maximizes the amount of attrition your ships take. I was a month away from getting to a safe harbor before the AI decided it needed to take a trip north to Hawaii. You can't abort or cancel it once it starts either, which is equally stupid.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Man, I'm really getting hosed out of monarch points in this ironman game. After I westernized any of my excess points above 999 were deleted upon spending any amount of them, so there goes ~1000 for no reason. Now after seizing the colony in Cape from France there's no colony discount so I'm left to pay the full cost to core it, another ~100 when I already have a backlog of cores.

France has also been hilariously kneecapped in my game. It's not even 1600 yet, but they're missing over 1/3 of the french region and GB holds Paris. :v:

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Jan Mayen may be returning.

:sweden:

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

New update for the 1.13 Beta

quote:

###################
# Gamebalance
###################

# Development
- Cost to develop provinces now increases non-linearly, with no additional cost for development levels below 10 and a scaling increase at 20, 30, 40, etc. Overall cost is cheaper at low levels, about the same at mid levels and much higher at very high levels.

# Religion
- Greatly reduced doom reduction from occupying provinces.

# Technology
- Development & Administrative efficiency is now gained 10/20% at a time around 1630, 1700 and 1760, for a total of 30/60%.

# War
- Siege memory (the amount of siege progress you can store up from time) is now increased with unlocking new fortifications, so that late game forts are not so impossible to besiege.

###################
# AI
###################

# Economy
- Will now tear forts down if it ends up with too many relative to its development level.

# War
- Fixed a bug where the AI would refuse to accept even a 100% peace if it had you beaten badly enough.
- Will no longer suicide ships against navies that it thinks are leaving a province before they actually are.

###################
# Script
###################

- Removed has_switched_nation=no requirement from all 1.12 achievements that are not related to a specific nation.

###################
# Bugfixes
###################

- Flat Province Values now correctly sets base production to a flat value.
- Can no longer destroy buildings in a province under siege.
- No longer possible to seize colonies outside of coring range.
- Trade fleets that are automatically merging can now do so even when movement locked, so to fix two fleets never merging because of timing issues.
- Fixed a bug where exiled troops were able to join ongoing sieges.
- Added a sanity check to all achievements that blocks them if difficulty has somehow been modified in the ironman save.
- Fixed a bug where blockades would prevent taking provinces due to incorrectly calculating them as out of range.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

After playing with the changes a bit I can really appreciate this:

quote:

- Cost to develop provinces now increases non-linearly, with no additional cost for development levels below 10 and a scaling increase at 20, 30, 40, etc. Overall cost is cheaper at low levels, about the same at mid levels and much higher at very high levels.

Some very small nations that tend not to expand much get really developed if they survive for a long time. It's ~1685 and the best province in the world right now looks like Wallachia's 29 basetax Tirgoviste. Along with that, the entire world has forgotten Yemen as they've been exiled to Socotra, which is 17/4/18.

:psyduck:

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Yet Another Update for the 1.13 Beta:

quote:

###################
# Gamebalance
###################

# War
- Reduced AE from forcing personal unions.
- It is once again always possible to transfer occupations to warleader, but AI might not do so unless they have good reason to.
- Forts with a depleted garrison are now slightly easier to siege.

###################
# AI
###################

# Diplomacy
- Added proper acceptance logic for Demand Unlawful Territory, instead of AI always saying no.

###################
# Interface
###################

# Alerts
- Replaced alert for being able to hire another 'free' military leader with one for having too many military leaders.
- Added an alert for having uncored provinces that you are currently able to core.
- Added an alert for having negative stability.
- Added an alert for being able to call allies into your current war

# Tooltips
- Outliner now shows a more useful tooltip for rebel factions.

###################
# Bugfixes
###################

- Fixed sorting in development macrobuilder to be correct.
:siren:- Fixed the 'Development of Amsterdam' modifier to no longer disappear on monthly update.:siren:
- Fixed an endless loop caused by a country somehow having itself as a colonial parent.
- Fixed a CTD related to invalidated wars.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Bort Bortles posted:

I just noticed in my Ottoman game that Grenada has no cores in Andalucia....no cultural nation has cores on any Andalucian province....I thought every culture had a country?

There's weird exceptions to that. I know that Hungary doesn't have Hungarian Culture, so if Austria gobbles them up their cores will disappear.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

The region mapmode is garbage, you should just be able to cycle through all of the regions after clicking on a province. The way it is now prevents you from seeing certain regions entirely because of the inconsistent layering.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Gitro posted:

It'd be nice if on completing a colony you got a few points of random development based on terrain, sort of like what happens with the 'turn into city' mission but for everything. I have maybe 70 provinces, probably more, and have only just managed to hit the 300 development threshold for ranking up. If I hadn't taken Cuba and a few surrounding islands I'd be waiting even longer. I can't imagine how badly it sucks for natives.

That would be cool. The entirety of the americas outside of the aztec/inca thunderdomes are almost all 1/1/1.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

BBJoey posted:

Is there a reason my papal controller mission reward is tied to the ruler of the Netherlands? :confused:

There's something really weird going on with ruler names. In my Bengal game I kept getting weird instances like yours where a mission would succeed and it would last until my ruler "Nasir-ud-Din von Gemmingen" would die. It would replace my ruler's name either entirely with a different one, or only change the dynasty/given name to a different nations'.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I'm getting a weird bug as Tunis. Every time one of my heirs dies, the next one dies on the exact same day. It's happened three times so far, I've ruled out it being just a coincidence

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Whoever said that staying under a PU basically nullifies any AE is a genius. I managed to snag all of scandinavia sans sjaelland by 1490. The hardest part is trying to stay a subject under the PU when you're constantly clowning on Denmark. My first run had the king die ~5 years in, my successful run had him die an old man a few days after I declared my second "independence" war, and I was able to sneak back under the PU as long as I didn't declare independence in the peace deal.

There was also a opportunistic war waged on Denmark by Scotland which kept the danes occupied for the entirety of the ten year truce I had with them. They went bankrupt twice and it was a constant battle between Scotland, Denmark, and the hordes of rebels (who also fought themselves). They ended up taking orkney and giving me my cores back, only to rival me the instant I achieved actual independence.

Morzhovyye fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 19, 2015

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Epinephrine posted:

When you finally break free, let us know how the Russian situation pans out. The "stay in PU while you gobble Scandanavia" idea is pretty cool, but it also means you don't have the diplomatic freedom to puppet Novgorod before they get annexed and otherwise kneecap Moscovy before they become a monster.

Haha, yeah, about that. Lithuania managed to stay independent, but luck would have it that they are in a loving ~triple alliance~ with both Poland and Muscovy. Poland declared war on the Teutons shortly after I vassalized them, Muscovy and Lithuania had tons of troops but my superior ideas/tech managed to let me win despite being outnumbered almost 2:1. I barely managed to survive, taking Danzig and one other baltic province for my vassal TO. They've formed Prussia and I've since made them my March.

Novgorod still exists as three provinces surrounding their capital, and I'm thinking I'm just going to annex them because I've taken most of the lovely northern/karelian territory for myself already. I can see through the fog of war that Muscovy hasn't started colonizing either of the two provinces touching perm, but they've done a fair amount of horde crushing so I'm assuming they've started further east.

Meanwhile Pomerania still has control of Seeland after they sniped it off of Denmark when they were an OPM, and I've been unable to take it due to their Forever Alliance with the monstrous HRE emperor Bohemia.

Morzhovyye fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 20, 2015

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

VDay posted:

Can someone double-check this for me in case I'm missing something technical/obvious:

If I play as Ethiopia and go for the Prester John achievement, can I eventually move my capital to Constantinople and get the Trade Hegemon achievement as well after westernizing? Or does Trade Hegemon require you to start with a European capital and/or the Western tech group?

Looks like you don't have to start with a capital in europe but you can't change your capital from continent to continent, even if you have a land connection. Your only hope would be to somehow lose every province you own that's not in Europe, forcing your capital there.

I suppose you could do it by making every possible non-europe province a client state, then declaring on some minor country and handing them your capital in the peace deal.

Morzhovyye fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 25, 2015

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Being Tunis that's taken both Naval and Maritime, galleys can absolutely be viable in the late game. Iberia's fleets literally melt away after my galleys catch up to them. :getin:

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Tsyni posted:

They are your only vassal? It takes into account all of your vassals.

I've had it where 2/3 vassals have a normal relative power and then one has a crazy 100% stronger than my army modifier which jumps their liberty desire up, and only theirs.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I can't decide whether to take Economic first, or Exploration first as Mutapa. The inflation will crush me if I don't go economic first, but i'm not confident enough to think that the euros will ignore africa. I've had very bad luck with the iberians in previous africa games.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Pyromancer posted:

You can't build that tall to stay OPM, merchant republic sniping centers of trade everywhere works well but not a stay-at-home OPM

Someone recently posted on r/eu4 where as the Hansa they took nearly every center of trade in the world and had managed to explode the trade mechanics giving him ungodly amounts of wealth. It had something to do with the goods produced modifier that increases when there's a merchant republic trading in the area.

There's also some good examples of people staying as OPMs with the new development mechanics but I can't seem to find either of them.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Kongo went catholic, would it be possible to convert via rebels as Mutapa? I'm not sure if the rebel relocation mechanic would transport them around the cape to where the majority of my provinces (and capital) are.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Bort Bortles posted:

Has anyone ever done hardcore math to figure out if it is better to control 100% of the provinces in a Trade Company node or if it is better to own 33%-50% and protectorate the rest so they get that sweet +% to good produced, which you then whisk away to your home node?

Odobenidae posted:

Someone recently posted on r/eu4 where as the Hansa they took nearly every center of trade in the world and had managed to explode the trade mechanics giving him ungodly amounts of wealth. It had something to do with the goods produced modifier that increases when there's a merchant republic trading in the area.

There's also some good examples of people staying as OPMs with the new development mechanics but I can't seem to find either of them.

Aha! I found it. He's got 38 merchants but he could have gotten more if he'd had multiple CNs in a colonial region.

https://imgur.com/a/5QEby

It's also worth noting that you don't get the bonus to goods produced if they're your subject, vassal, protectorate or otherwise.

Morzhovyye fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Sep 18, 2015

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I was wondering why my conversions were taking so drat long, but I'd foolishly chalked it up to it being because of the -2.0% from shia/sunni/ibadi provinces. Why not check all of the modifiers just to be sure!

Oh, another -2.0% from "missonary slider".
Huh, weird, I've never heard of that event befor-

:negative:

I had switched my state religion away 50 years ago without remembering to turn the missionary maintenance up from when I purposely spawned the zealots in the first place. :dawkins101:

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

double nine posted:

so how do I stop my vassals from killing them?

Yeeeeaaah, I don't think this is going to work out...

Start a war and put your vassals on the "stick to friendlies" mode while herding them away. Vassals almost hosed up my Persia run too, it's really tempting to just release them and conquer it back later.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Started a spice island run with the hopes of becoming sikh but after looking into it there's not much of anything that it does better than hinduism. The hindu specific events in particular are really good(say goodbye to lovely rulers!), while the guru event chain is merely okay.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Fintilgin posted:

Can you even do a true one tag world conquest now that Australia is a colonial zone? Even if you leave it empty, it'd be hard to keep all Europeans out.

This guy did one recently as Spain. He moved his capital to the new world, sold all of his european provinces to aragon and then formed spain, gaining all of their provinces. Then it seems like it was just a matter of running 20 colonies at the same time.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

The only other thing I really want is a way to organize the outliner without having to disable then enable everything in a specific order every time I load a save. Why does it need to randomize seemingly every time <:mad:>

Morzhovyye fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 27, 2015

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

That's been like that for a while. The same thing happens at the cape coming from the east: You can colonize Cape (more to the west) before Swellendam (more to the east).

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

drat, those all look really good. I can't help but feel that One Faith will overtake Ryukyu WC as the hardest achievement though.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Prop Wash posted:

It's not just the splintering of the Hansa, Denmark also got some real nice perks in Cossacks. Northern Europe in general ought to be a lot more interesting.

Those changes along with removing the possibility of the Finnmark-esque reformation centers will be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Jeez, straits are completely useless now. If you can control both provinces connected to the strait you don't need it blocked anyways. There's better ways to nerf byzantium than this.

• Locked thread