Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
So, I read The Book of Job last night, and one of the elements of the story that I don't seeing being discussed in this thread in relation to the show are Job's friends. In the story, after Job has lost his livestock, lost his children, and been stricken with boils from head to toe, Job's three buddies show up and start questioning him on how all of this came about. Basically, they each accuse him of sinning or failing to live according to God's will in different ways. And in a way, they aren't trying to tell Job that he's a bad person, they're just trying to justify why all of this has happened to him. Because if it can happen to Job, a man of God, for absolutely no reason, it could happen to any of us!

I think that in this case, John has taken the role of Job's friends. He's denying Matt's version of the story because to him it doesn't make any sense. If Miracle was really special, then why hasn't John's wife been miraculously cured of her deafness? Why are Matt and his wife more deserving of God's love than John and his wife? In the same way that Job's friends accuse him of sin because they fear they might be the next to lose everything for "no reason", John accuses Matt of lying because he fears that he is in some way undeserving of Miracle's power.

On a semi-related note, this is one of the only shows that consistently leaves my mind reeling for days after an episode drop. There's just so much to pick apart and analyze, I absolutely love the universe that's being constructed here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Goofballs posted:

I get John's position. Its the same as most sceptical people today minus the pyromania and murderous intensity. There probably is no God and even If there is a God it doesn't care about us and people who say there is a God and that it cares about us are infuriating because then why does God allow ethnic cleansing or any other horrific pointless thing to happen to total innocents. Just because someone was able to survive or be nowhere near the monstrous event it doesn't mean God loves you, you were just lucky. In the Leftovers universe its way easier to start thinking like religious person and inferring meaning to randomness because of the massive entirely unexplainable event. So John is out punishing hoaxers who are exploiting the situation. To be honest if some dude I barely knew claimed his comatose wife woke up they had sex and then she never woke up again but now she's pregnant from that one time I'd absolutely think it was a total bullshit story too and I would not be inclined to do them any favours either. Its only believable and probably what happened because its Matt saying it. I'm really looking forward to seeing more of John's back story. My bet is somewhere along the way he got hoaxed real good.

I think you're absolutely right about John's perspective, and I think it stems from the fact that he wasn't in Jarden when the Departure actually happened. There's a good chance that he saw some of the chaos that resulted first hand because of the Departure, he was in a prison after all. And think about it, in Jarden, all of these people are celebrating being left behind, or at least being left alone. But to John, a man locked up, is being left alone really all that much of a blessing? If you were in prison, wouldn't you kind of envy the guy in the cell next to you who got poofed away from it all?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I wanted to say 'the type of shows that write for bored housewives', but even I find that sexist... yet, I can't think of a better term. Help?

Substitute "Baby boomers" for housewives. My grandma loves her some NCIS.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

blarzgh posted:

- the voices and Kevin and his dad's heads are real, but they're not actually the person they appear as

Yeah, this is the feeling I get as well. If the Departure was a "divine" event, I think the thing speaking to Kevin is something like an Archangel. Maybe Gabriel?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

n3wt posted:

(Knowing that John may have been the victim of abuse also sheds some light on why John previously got so irked when Matt refused to admit he raped Mary.)

:aaaaa:

Holy poo poo, this season is so good.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Puppy Galaxy posted:

This was exciting TV but I can't help but feel the show has gone full Lost/Retard

Nah, I have a feeling that while this is going to have a big impact on Kevin, it's not exactly going to wipe away the inherent "not knowing" that this show has managed to cultivate in its Universe. For example, even if Kevin knows some detail about Patti from the Jeopardy story that Laurie is certain she never told him, I'm still not sure that that would be enough to convince her that Kevin wasn't having a psychotic break. He might have seen that episode, he might have heard about it in passing while dealing with the GR during his years in Mapleton, if he was a Cop then he must have had SOME background info on Patti.

I think there's just as much evidence to claim Kevin was just having an extended Ayahuasca trip as there is to claim he was actually on the "other side." Things like the people arguing in the parking garage, the bird flying around the lobby, they seemed like the sort of little details from real life that just float around your brain and end up working their way into your dreams. And the way we never actually saw how Kevin got from place to place, how heavily this episode relied on fades to get from one scene to the next. All's I'm saying is, it's not like Kevin is coming back with one of Santa Claus's bells in his pockets. He has no concrete proof that anything he experienced was "real" and not just the result of the fact that he was unconscious due to poison. I mean, he drank it expecting to go to a place where Virgil would guide him to do battle with Patti, and that's exactly what he got. Nothing about that really rules out "drug trip" to me.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

n3wt posted:

He needed to come to terms with his sympathies with the devil that was Patti because on some gut level, he too believes that the world ended: it's been there, eating at him and he's been in denial.
He could also see the broken person behind the sadistic cult leader and he felt for her when he beat her up and she committed suicide, they had a wierd bond that he needed to deal with, maybe even grieve...

In the lie detector scene: why do you smoke? because I'm addicted to nicotine. *red light for lying* why do you smoke? I smoke to remember that the world ended. *no light*
In the Senator meeting scene: She discusses how caring is irrelevant now - that's something Kevin can never embrace: he saved little Patti from drowning and "killed" Neal.

I was trying to write a post about the overall "lesson" that Kevin was being imparted with, either by his subconscious or by divine intervention, and this put it way more succinctly than I could. Kevin kept being tested to tell the truth: first it was to dress himself as he truly sees himself, then it was the lie detector. By the time he got to the bridge and had a noose thrown around his neck, he didn't even try deception to get out of the situation, he just flat out said "I'm here to throw this girl into the well."

And it's interesting, too, that you point out that where Kevin disagrees with Patti is in the scene with her Senator "body double." First off, she's a politician in this world. Now, last season, Kevin was butting heads with the Mayor of Mapleton because she just refused to acknowledge that the GR was posing a legitimate threat to the community, they're just a bunch of religious crazies using the first amendment to stir up trouble. And, on the ideological surface, she was absolutely right, they were doing nothing "illegal" at the time, they were basically just making people upset. But Kevin can feel the trouble brewing in his community and, while he can acknowledge that she's technically correct, it's just not good enough to ignore reality and be correct on paper. And that's how he views politicians, as good on paper. He can listen to Senator Patti's speech about how we'd be better off if we didn't care for each other, how emotional connections are just baggage in a post-Departure world, and he can agree with her IDEAS. He can recognize that he believes that the world ended and that Humanity may just be running out the clock. But at the end of that discussion, he still has to live in that world, and it's not good enough to be a lovely person and be correct on paper.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Borrowed Ladder posted:

Was Patti the creator and leader of the GR, or just the head of the Mapleton group?

I'm not sure if we've ever gotten a concrete answer regarding this, but the "power of silence" remark she makes in the Jeopardy monologue makes me think she was instrumental in the forming of the GR's main tenets.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Yeah, as messed up as John's Secret House Burning Club is, it might be the only thing grounding the people of Jarden to the reality of the rest of the world. We're talking about a town where the citizens readily accept a woman who wears her wedding dress everyday, a man who slaughters a goat everyday. These are people who are still looking for an answer to the big "Why" question of the Departure, who are clinging to the first unique thing about 10/14 that their minds' come up with and turning it into a ritual to keep themselves safe.

It reminds me of the conversation Jill has with the twins when they're burying the dead dog in the pilot, about how people are going to snap and go feral just like the dogs did, but it's just taking longer. Jarden is just as unstable and scared of "what's next" as the rest of the world, they just don't know it yet.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
The ending was definitely happy, but it didn't seem artificial or forced at all. It's not like the ending was "and all of Kevin's problems are solved for ever and ever amen." The town that he moved to looking for safety has fallen into chaos, whatever hope of starting fresh they brought here has been shattered by Meg and the GR. But, because of all that, coming home to his family, all of the people who he cares about and who care about him, is a moment of relief. In that moment, he can forget that the world makes no sense and is falling apart and just be with the people he loves, and it's good enough.

Prior to watching the finale, I watched the fourth episode "Orange Sticker". When Patti is pestering Kevin in that episode, she's says something like "What you and Nora have isn't love, it's damage control. Your family blew up, her family blew up, and now you're just trying to pick up the pieces." or something to that effect. I think what Kevin has come to accept is that "Damage Control" is all love has ever been, regardless of the Departure. Love is having someone you can rely on to help you pick up the pieces after things blow up. It's having someone to come home to even when your world is falling apart.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I don't think they'll ever revisit this, but I think someone earlier that Meg's Mom was going to tell her the "Broken Pencil" knock knock joke before she died? That makes sense to me. Not only because of the way that she brings it up in the restaurant, but because of Meg's reaction. We know she's gone to multiple psychics looking for an answer to this question, for this one thing that's going to make everything in her life fall into place and make sense again and then things can get back to normal (like a lot of characters in this show). And, after the walnuts thing, when she finally thinks she's going to get it, it ends up literally being "pointless". It seems like the thing that could finally push someone who's already in a fragile state over the edge into dangerous territory.

Also, in the scene after, when Evie says that she "doesn't know any jokes", Meg has this reaction to her that struck me as oddly similar to the one she has when Tommy says his family is in Texas. Like she can't believe the coincidence of it all. The joke just fits in that blank so well, does anyone else have any ideas on what it could have been?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I'd say I Live Here Now, followed closely by International Assassin. The scene with John cleaning Kevin's wounds puts it over the top for me.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
The season 2 intro song fit the change of tone going into Jarden. It's much easier for these people to, at least on the surface, "let the mystery be" since the departure is a boon for their town. They tolerate sacrificing goats and wedding dress worship, not only because it "adds to their mystique" as Miracle Tobacco Man said about the earthquakes, but because no one can prove that it wasn't a goat sacrifice that led to Jarden being "spared." No one knows for certain. Try telling someone who lost their family in the Departure that it's because they didn't slit a goat's throat beforehand, I'm betting they're less likely to "let the mystery be" and more likely to throw a rock through your window or spray you with a hose.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I'm rewatching season 1 now, and episode 2 has the scene where Jill and Amy talk about Nora in the diner. Nora slides her cup slowly off the table, the waiter comes up to her annoyed at first, but then sees that it was Nora's fault and starts apologizing to her. Apologizing to Nora because she intentionally broke a coffee cup? Well, no, he's apologizing to her because her husband and two kids vanished into thin air and left her alone and who the gently caress is gonna blame her for breaking a coffee cup? This is the world that Nora lives in, where everyone treats Nora with this tiptoeing caution to her face, but behind her back it's "Hey, that's the lady whose whole family poofed!"

People pretend to give a poo poo about her everyday, but she still comes home to an empty house. If you haven't experienced a "tragedy" in your life, it's hard to explain, but at a certain point you get sick of people treating you like you don't deserve anymore pain. Nobody wants to be the person that tells the lady who lost her whole family "I don't care what you've been through, you're going to need to pay for that." That's what I think she's trying to simulate when she hires the prostitute to shoot her, she just wants someone to not care and not pretend to care about what she's been through.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Some Season 1 connections you may have forgotten:

-The Brandenburg Carousel in the article Nora is reading in "Lens" is mentioned in the season 1 Nora episode "Guest" during a PA announcement at the Departure conference.

-Matt mentions his favorite book of The Bible is Job during his conversation with Brett Butler's character, Sandy, in "No Room at the Inn." The passage he highlights for Kevin to read at Patti's impromptu funeral is from Job, as many have mentioned. What I haven't seen mentioned is the fact that the particular passage they talk about, Job's unnamed wife telling him to "curse God and die," is the same passage depicted in Albrecht Dürer's painting Job and his Wife. This is the same painting that can be seen in Matt's house and in his dreams in the season 1 episode "Two Boats and a Helicopter."

-Meg's GR use whistles to sound the alarm on Tom when he's trying to lure them away. In the first season, Kevin gives the GR a box of whistles after Gladys is martyred so that they have some way to alert each other, and Laurie uses hers to disrupt Matt's commemoration of Gladys in the GR cul-de-sac. Since the houses burned down, I doubt these are literally the same whistles, but I don't think it's a stretch to say this is where Meg got the idea.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Lord Krangdar posted:

Any word on a release for Season 2's soundtrack?

I didn't find anything on Google about it. Which is a shame, cuz I'd really like that twangy Texas guitar version of the Departure theme in "Lens."

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Niwrad posted:

One of my favorite things about the show was that it was always grounded in some reality. It was a somewhat realistic portrayal of how the world would react to this crazy event. The end of Season 2 seemed to move toward a supernatural path.

It might be supernatural. It might be coincidence. I feel like the entire point of this season was that you can never know if something peculiar or improbable is a message or an act of divine intervention from some greater power. The departure was an event that made everyone question how much they really understand about their world, it opens the door for people to think that someone who regularly sacrifices goats isn't just crazy, maybe he KNOWS something.

Kevin jumps into the Jarden river, and seconds later there's an earthquake which opens a crack in the ground and drains the river just in time to save him. Yes, it looks like an act of God. Many people in that universe who heard Kevin tell that story would say it's a miracle, even more people would call him a liar. But Jarden is a town where earthquakes happen, and not just because of fracking, they've been happening there literally since people were living in caves. It's entirely possible that this is just a freak coincidence. It's not likely, but the possibility exists. I know that the deck seems stacked for the "supernatural" this season, but I really feel like they left it ambiguous for a reason.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Lord Krangdar posted:

There are a few parts that seemed to be unambiguously supernatural. The bird surviving for three days buried in the box, for example.

If it was the same bird. Virgil had plenty to spare, knew that Erica was doing something with birds (In Lens, he asks her if she wants to take one with her when she leaves), and it was Erica's grandmother who told her the story about burying birds and digging them up after 3 days so Virgil probably knew it too. Personally, I think that's a little bit of a stretch, and since he's dead I don't think they're planning on revealing any hidden information about where the bird came from. But there are other possible explanations besides it coming back from the hotel after 3 days.

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

That and, uh, 2% of the world's population disappeared instantly.

That, I would say, is unambiguously supernatural. In the sense that it is beyond the understanding of the characters in this universe. But that doesn't necessarily mean it was magic or God that did it, it might just be caused by something they literally don't understand yet. Like the woman whose cave collapsed, to her being cut off from her tribe by an earthquake moments after she got up was supernatural.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
If you're absolutely convinced that Kevin should have died, that's completely understandable. John definitely thinks that Kevin should have died. But, sometimes people survive totally improbable odds. It DOES happen. It is extremely unlikely that Kevin would be able to go through all of that survive, and it would be an uncanny coincidence that a bullet would happen to pass straight through him without hitting any arteries or organs and that he'd be able to hang on just long enough for John to find him and patch him up.

But, uncanny coincidences happen sometimes.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

savinhill posted:

How long was he buried for, wasn't it like 8 hours? I can't think of any possible non supernatural explanation for that one

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angelo_Hays

Crazy poo poo happens sometimes.

CeeJee posted:

One other thing that stood out was palmprint guy who knew what Meg's mother said before she died. There is really no way for him to know that, all the stuff Ghost Patti said could be things Kevin had heard from Laurie who did not let doctor-patient confidentiality stand in the way of a good "you'll never believe the crazy poo poo I heard today" story.

You're right, Isaac knowing that Meg's mom asked for her salad to be taken back because of the Walnuts does seem supernatural. Until you start reading up on hot reading techniques. Meg's mother was clearly a wealthy woman, maybe she was influential enough in the Mapleton community to have an article about her death in the paper where they interview the waiter who last spoke to her. Or maybe Meg's fiance gave Isaac the information because he'd seen her go to psychic after psychic looking for answers and just wanted to provide her some comfort, even if it was false. There are people who do poo poo like this in real life all the time, in this day and age it really isn't that hard to gather information about someone prior to meeting them.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Fast Luck posted:

From my own position I just look at things like, say, Wayne, and go "oh he's probably a fraud" or Isaac and say "hm, seems legit" but I don't really know in either case. And that makes sense, since when you're talking about the supernatural or things that claim to be supernatural it's right to be skeptical, and there shouldn't be someone there to put a hand on your shoulder or something and go "yes, that was magic." Because part of our lives and perceived experiences with spirituality or magic or things like that is that they're unconfirmed, whether you want to believe or not, there's not someone there to give you the actual real and final answer. In that way I appreciate the alleged ambiguity.

In other ways I just feel like they're playing a game sometimes where something that I think "yeah that's supernatural" happens but the staff in the writing room is sitting there going "okay this event here is supernatural, but we need to write in a way that there's plausible deniability that it's supernatural" because then it just seems like a forced and fake ambiguity, a type of covering their bases for the sake of it.

They very well maybe doing that, but we're never going to find out whether that crazy, possibly supernatural stuff is supernatural or not. Because the show we're watching isn't one in which Kevin gets to go to heaven and have all his questions answered by the great creator.

In this show, when Kevin dies, his vision of the afterlife could very well be a journey into his own unconscious. He might be drowning ghost Patti in the magical Axis Mundi well because she's scared of what's next and needs his help. Or, his mind might just need a little Campbellian ritual to help shock his system into a functional state again, to help him reconcile the fact that part of him agrees with what Patti is saying and to mourn this person who ended up having a profound effect on the way he views the world. I really don't think one of these explanations makes more sense than the other, I don't think Kevin really cares which explanation is true. He doesn't understand what happened, he just knows that it worked.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

joepinetree posted:

There are a handful of people who have survived free falls of over 10,000 feet, with one of them walking away with only a limp. Some people have survived two ridiculous odds at once.

Betty Lou Oliver survived getting severely burned by a plane that hit the empire state building, and then survived the elevator she was in plunging 75 stories:
http://survivor-story.com/betty-lou-oliver-survived-two-major-accidents-day/

And Juliane Koepcke survived a 10,000 feet fall, and then 10 days alone in the jungle
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juliane_Koepcke

This doesn't mean its not supernatural. The writers have said that they have definitely picked one and write to that. But they also said that they spent a lot of time making sure that things are possible, even if improbable.

Yeah, this is essentially what I was trying to get at. Something being extremely unlikely does not mean it is impossible. If a possible rational explanation exists, it then ceases to be unambiguously supernatural. That also doesn't mean that some people, even when presented with a sound and logical explanation for an event, will attribute it to the supernatural.

If I could borrow an analogy from the Bald Move Leftovers podcast, someone could flip a coin 100 times and have it land on heads every single time. It's improbable, but it could happen. There's a chance, the possibility exists, there's no natural law that says that it can never happen. Yet, despite knowing that on a rational level, if someone came up to you and said "I'm going to flip this coin 100 times and it will land on heads every single time" and then DID IT, it would raise a lot of questions even if you had both feet firmly grounded in reason and rationality.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

BonoMan posted:

The problem with this is that I feel it's on the filmmakers to leave us with at least a few morsels of breadcrumbs to be able to trace back and say "well I guess it could be this BECAUSE of this." I don't feel like just a blanket "well ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE" is a fair mechanic to introduce ambiguity into anything.

Which mystery specifically do you feel has no indications that it might just be the result of a freak coincidence?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Fast Luck posted:

He was also given a lethal heart-stopping poison or something and left untreated.

Kevin: What is that?
Virgil: It's poison. It's gonna stop your heart.
Kevin: You said temporarily.
Virgil: That I did. That I did. This... epinephrine. That poison's gonna work like a heroin overdose. It's gonna shut you down. This is gonna start you back up. Now, I'm gonna time this. Brain will be fine for up to five minutes. I'll give you the shot long before that.
Kevin: You've done this before?
Virgil: You know the guy on the pillar?
Kevin: Yeah.
Virgil: His name's Edward. He's a living, breathing success story.

Now, I don't like contradicting information stated explicitly in the show, so I wouldn't claim a character was providing false information unless I had a good reason for it. But the thing is: we know that Virgil is lying about the epinephrine. He has absolutely no intention of giving it to Kevin, yet he still takes out the needle and explains the process and makes it all seem routine to him. So the question then becomes, WHY would Virgil lie to Kevin about restarting his heart? Maybe it's because Virgil knows it's a lot easier to get cold feet when the proposition is "you're going to drink this poison, it's going to slow your heart rate down to almost nothing for 8 hours, and if everything goes right you'll wake up in a shallow grave." It's much easier for Kevin to make that final leap of faith and drink the koolaid when he thinks it'll be over and done with in five minutes.

BonoMan posted:

Specifically Kevin's gunshot and burial.

The gunshot was brutal and he bled out for a while. I mean the idea that he survived that is pretty preposterous. The burial as well given he wasn't buried in a container.

I don't think I can contest the burial with anything stated explicitly in the show. The only thing I can think of was that maybe the grave was shallow enough for air to still reach Kevin, but that's just speculation and isn't based on anything Michael or Kevin says.

The gunshot, though, passes straight through him. We see where the wound is and we see the bullet afterwards, intact. I'm not saying that these are the easiest circumstances to live through, but having no major arteries or organs hit and having no fragments of the bullet left in you is like the best possible outcome for a guy who has just been shot. That bullet could have severed his spinal cord or pierced a lung, but it didn't. His chances of survival in that situation could have been much, much worse. But then again, I don't have a medical degree, nor am I an expert in ballistics, so take that for what it's worth.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Fast Luck posted:

And then there was the earthquake and then the lake drained while he was underwater and then all three of these potentially deadly things happened in a matter of days and he was able to somehow survive every time, and on top of that these near-deaths came accompanied with spiritual trips to some type of axis mundi location appearing as a hotel where he carried out a mission that was described to him by someone that could tell he had (or thought he had) a ghost following him around and then it worked and the ghost was banished!

And I just want to note that I really, really enjoyed all this but I am firmly in the supernatural shamanistic camp for it and think explaining it away, even if possible, is sort of an exercise in willfully maintaining ambiguity that in my mind is not really there at this point.

It's easy to make a list of coincidences sound silly when you put them all one after another like that, though. Think about the list of crazy unlikely probabilities that had to happen in order for life to exist on Earth. That doesn't necessarily mean they were pre-ordained by a higher power.

And for the record, I am too. My sister firmly believes that everything that happened in the show is the result of coincidence and that the characters just ascribe meaning to them. I think Kevin is a Shaman, so when we talk about the show I sound way more like you guys. But I like the ambiguity of the show, and I do think there are a lot of little touches that were intentionally added to enhance that ambiguity and inspire doubt. We saw Mary get congratulatory balloons in the hotel, but if that place between worlds was real, then why didn't she know she was pregnant until she woke up? If Erica burying the bird worked the first time, why didn't it work ever again?

EDIT: Smoking gun of the "Kevin is a shaman" thing is that the David Burton broadcast in "Off Ramp" specifically mentions a "bloke who came out of a cave and said he was in a hotel."

Lord Krangdar posted:

The thing is that saying its all supernatural doesn't actually resolve the ambiguity; it doesn't solve the mysteries, it just classifies them.

That's also true.

Pepe Silvia Browne fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 12, 2016

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Aexo posted:

I took the "bloke who came out of a cave and said he was in a hotel" to be Kevin's father, who said he was going to Australia. Also, the dude in the tower had mail for him in like the first episode.

Newscaster on TV: Resurrection? That's the claim from Australia as witnesses describe a man previously believed dead emerging from a cave in Wanneroo outside the city of Perth.

Man: Walked out covered in mozzie bites, saying he'd just been in a hotel.

Newscaster: The man, identified as David Burton...

That's where it gets cut off. I get my transcripts from here but I'll double check the episode tonight when I get home from work. And yeah, the letter from Edward, the guy on the pillar, which he gives to Michael to deliver is addressed to David Burton as well. It does seem like a huge mark in the Mysticism column, but it's also illustrating how popular of a story this has become in this world. We hear it mentioned twice in "Off Ramp." You could make the case that Kevin's vision of the afterlife as this hotel comes from him hearing a broadcast like this one about a guy who supposedly journeyed to the other side and said it was a hotel. He has the information buried deep in his mind, and then when it comes time for his unconscious to dream up a vision of the other side, it bases it on this pre-existing idea. Personally, I'd say that since we never see Kevin listening to one of those reports, that explanation is a stretch.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Fast Luck posted:

The show hired Reza Aslan as a spiritual consultant and here's what he said about Australia:

People who don’t even know what a walkabout represents use the term when they’re talking about a spiritual journey. In fact, now that I think about it, John Locke of Lost was in Australia on a walkabout before the plane crash!

Well, trying to go on a walkabout anyway :(

Anyways, that is interesting stuff. I've heard a little bit about Reza and what he brought to the show through the Bald Move podcast, it seemed like he was the one that first brought up this idea that Kevin was specifically a shaman rather than a prophet or a messiah or something else. Which is fantastic and fitting for this show because rather than being GIVEN information from God, Kevin has to cross that threshold and TAKE the information for himself from the hotel/purgatory/his own unconscious.

EDIT: Reza Aslan, for those who aren't aware, is a religious scholar and practicing Muslim who made a Fox News pundit melt down because he wrote a book about Jesus "BUT YOU'RE A MUSLIM!!"

Pepe Silvia Browne fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 13, 2016

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

el oso posted:

Not an earlier reference - it's in the first Tom/Laurie episode, I believe there's a report on TV about a guy in Australia emerging from a cave and claiming he can't die or something along those lines.

Don't remember the guy's name at the moment but it's either confirmed or heavily implied that he's the guy Kevin meets on the bridge when he "dies" and then in the hotel bar when he "dies" again.

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

Newscaster on TV: Resurrection? That's the claim from Australia as witnesses describe a man previously believed dead emerging from a cave in Wanneroo outside the city of Perth.

Man: Walked out covered in mozzie bites, saying he'd just been in a hotel.

Newscaster: The man, identified as David Burton....

And yeah, unconfirmed so far. But as he's the only named Australian character, and he's knowledgeable about the "other side," David Burton being the bridge/hotel guy goes hand in hand with the Kevin as a Shaman theory.

EDIT: Fixed

Pepe Silvia Browne fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 18, 2016

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
It's really funny to imagine the first conversation Kevin and Nora have the second after the camera cuts away in the finale.

"What happened?"
"John shot me and left me bleeding out in the ranger's station."
"WHAT?!"
"No, it's okay. We're cool. He might be coming over soon."

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
When the first season was airing, I saw the phrase "misery porn" used by people writing the show off. I don't think it's a good descriptor for the show in general, because I think that overall the show is very hopeful. But I can definitely see how someone might draw that conclusion after watching those episodes and not sticking around to see all that bleakness build into something.

I liked the show based on the pilot, but I don't remember being crazy about it until the Matt episode. I think the first two episodes are much better on the rewatch, but that also means nothing in regard to the flaws they present to first time watchers.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Niwrad posted:

Did anyone think that when Isaac told Meg about her Mother's last words that maybe the fiance fed him the info beforehand? He seemed supportive but probably tired of criss-crossing the country with her looking for answers from psychics.

I think that it's come up in this thread before. I think that if you're going for a rational reading of the events of the show, that probably fits better than anything else. While he might have seemed kind of annoyed before Meg went into Isaac's house, he definitely seemed more chipper while she was coming out, like he was expecting everything to be fixed now.

You could explain Virgil's "psychic" phenomena similarly. He comes up to Kevin in the visitor's center and tells him that he can help with his Situation. It seems like he knows Kevin is being "haunted," but almost everyone who's coming to Miracle is probably looking for answers, so Virgil could just be playing the odds. And when he approaches Nora in the convenience store, he tells her that he's sorry for her loss. Now, we know that at this point Nora has told the Murphys that she used to have children, but not yet that they Departed (that doesn't happen until Lens). It could be that Virgil has some mystical powers and can see that Nora's children departed because of her "aura" or something similar. But it could also be that Michael mentioned to Virgil that his new neighbor "lost" her kids during one of his night prayer visits, or that Sleepwalking Kevin mentioned it to Virgil. The clerk's response to Virgil, that she told him not to do "that poo poo" in her store, fits either. She could be telling him that his Mystical powers freak out regular people and to knock it off in her store. She could also be telling him that if he's going to be duping people with his hot and cold reading techniques, she doesn't want it associated with her business.

Pepe Silvia Browne fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 1, 2016

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Rocco posted:

I wonder why they rushed this out so fast without any new content? Super disappointing. The uneven first season had a bunch of extras, but the absolutely stellar followup gets none. What a letdown.

It sucks but here's two things to consider:

1. From the business point of view, they might be assuming that most people who have seen the show still have their HBO subscription and can already watch those episodes anytime they want. So, this would essentially just for people who still rent physical Blu-Ray disks, from smaller chains or through Netflix in the mail.

2. Since the show has already been renewed for a third and final season, I'm hoping that they're focusing their resources on a good collector's set of all three.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Hey everyone who likes this show's incredible score by Max Richter, the season 2 soundtrack is out and probably on whatever music streaming service you use.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
It's much better when you don't have to wait a week between episodes. The first couple episodes having some pacing issues which are exacerbated by the scenes of GR members communicating via longhand notes, but on rewatching I think they do a fantastic job laying the groundwork for this series.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

No clue, can't find a nominee list anywhere. For the record I think she's great in the show, just find it funny that this weird dark cult show finally wins an award for acting and it's from a fashion magazine

Should've gone to Ann Dowd :argh:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Wooty posted:

This was completely consensual.

Nah, Gladys broke down and asked them to stop near the end. Granted, I think she was probably beyond saving at that point.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I think Lindelof mentioned they want to incorporate Kevin Garvey Sr. into the season 3 storyline in a bigger way than he's been used so far. Looks like The Travelin' Garvey Shaman Show is hitting the road for Pep Pep's house!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
The Garveys take a flight to Australia, but their plane crashes on a mysterious island on the way there...

• Locked thread