Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Anti-Hero posted:

Curious how the PC port is going to turn out. I didn't get the ports of AA and AC until many years after release and they seemed to be pretty solid. Did they have all sorts of bugs at launch or was it smooth sailing? Can't decide if I should get AK on PS4 or PC, leaning towards PC.

I didn't play Asylum on release, City seemed fine though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

iGestalt posted:

A 6.7 gigabyte model? How the hell would you manage that. (In a release format. I guess uncompressed with super high quality textures would make sense)

It was in terms of poly count, but I can't remember what the comparison was between.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Rorus Raz posted:

So Rocksteady is moving on from Batman after this, right?

Should we brace ourselves for yearly sequels from WB Montreal and whatever developer they grab for the even years?

The Court of Owls with Talons doing a Nemesis system would work for me.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Just under halfway, depending hugely on how much free-roaming you've done.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

At 100% you get to see him in his Batman Zero Suit.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Deathstroke is the boss fight that's just a big lame qte button mash thing right? That was sooo awesome. Lmfao.

It's the most bizarrely praised thing in Origins.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The final fight in Arkham Blackgate is still the nadir for boss fights in the series though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

So I "installed" from 5 DVDs and still have to download 30GB? What the gently caress is this poo poo?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Gordon as robo-Batman is a fun, refreshing idea after waaaay too much Joker crap.

89 posted:

The PC version still suck or has some patches helped it out?

Yes, to both parts of that question.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Fulchrum posted:

Yeah, but I think maybe Pyg is a bit too obscure. Maybe it's also the fact that he feels less like a Batman villain and more a character from season 4 of Hannibal.

He's one of the more memorable Batman villains created in the past decade or so (along with the Owls and Doctor Hurt), he's just not had much exposure outside the comics. He couldn't work as a primary antagonist (in the same way that Hatter couldn't), but he's good for this.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Sion posted:

Is the PC version of this unfucked yet?

Like, they did a little patch for it a while ago but anything since then?

The patch helped, but it still needs work.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Random baddie posted:

Remember, if you see Batman, shout and charge him. Never fails.
:allears:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Sinners Sandwich posted:

For as terrible as Batman Hush is as a story, it's a really loving good showcase for new readers, got me into it.
Hush is a bit like the Arkham games in that it's trying to cram in as many big-name characters as possible, for better or worse. It lacks focus and has a dumb, predictable twist but it's got enough crowd-pleasing elements to overcome that.

Perry Normal posted:

If you like the villains more than you should check out Brian Azarello's Joker graphic novel, Ed Brubaker's Man Who Laughs, Matt Wagner's Faces, and maybe one of the old collections of Joker stories so you can read Joker's 5-way Revenge and The Laughing Fish and some others like that. And the aforementioned Long Halloween which is a drat good Two-Face origin. Arkham Asylum: Living Hell was also mentioned, which you'd probably like too, Batman's barely in that. It's mostly villains, inmates and asylum staff.

Also Tales of the Demon for some Ra's / Talia stuff.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

I've been staying outta here to avoid spoilers, not playing much on PC so I can wait for patches. Do we figure another one might be coming around the time of the DLC release on the 14th?

They've talked (vaguely) about the PC version being out again in the next few weeks, so I'd figure they'd have fixed some issues by then.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

ghouldaddy07 posted:

What was the Goon concensus on the Mr Freeze DLC for Origins?

It's good.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

Does this game work for PC yet? I have it in my Steam inventory but am afraid to download it.

The first patch (and some tweaks) helped a bit, but not enough.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

She rides a motorbike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFidlZdAQxg

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The timeline of this series is a mess. Batman went through three Robins in six years?
Basically the same issue as the current comics run then.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

UnsuitableWasp posted:

Also it's kinda funny how every Robin is exactly 6ft tall, black haired, blue eyed precious crimefighter.
Bruce has a type.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

redbackground posted:

That was something Morrison tossed out in Batman & Robin, but I don't think it had any real basis in anything previously.

The original version of Jason Todd (pre-Crisis) had red / strawberry blonde hair and dyed it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

After all the talk before the game about how Joker was overused, was this thread unhappy with the final result?

I enjoyed the Joker in Arkham Knight more than I have in anything since Dark Knight.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Do folks all think that Ivy___ is really dead? I'm not too sure, myself. I also think there's more to the Miagani material, especially given some of the peculiar art assets and other throwaway lines.
I think so, unless / until we find out otherwise. The series has been relatively good about people staying dead, so I don't know why they'd make an exception in this case.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, but the homing device is basically worthless. It really shouldn't go down or at least not go down as fast as it does.

It's not worthless, it's great for luring enemies to a location.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Norns posted:

Good. I don't see the nemesis system working well in a batman game.

I could see something like it working with Talons in a Night of the Owls game.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

I completely forgot that they did this for one 5 minute encounter and had to struggle to get what you were talking about.

They at least could have made one of the Penguin missions a dual predator room.

And had a Dual Predator AR map. Or more than 4 AR predator maps to begin with.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

seravid posted:

Speaking of comics, are there any good ones with the Batfamily working together (not just special guests for one issue or whatever) ? I remember someone said something about "Batman: Accomplished Father" a million pages ago and that seems like it could be an interesting take on the character compared to the (admittedly few) comics I read as a kid starring Lone Wolf Batman and the occasional, mostly unwanted/unappreciated appearance of Robin.
Grant Morrison's very long run in the comics had a fairly big Bat-family, with the final third being the establishment of Batman Incorporated, a crime-fighting multinational. There's also Gates of Gotham, which is set around the same period and has Dick Grayson, Cassandra Cain, Tim Drake and Damien Wayne working together.

No Man's Land is one of the huge Gotham-wide storylines from a few years ago. A series of disasters (natural and otherwise) leaves Gotham a wreck, and with the government not helping it's up to Batman and his friends (and foes) to keep order. It's one of the main influences behind any story where Gotham is semi-abandoned (like Arkham Knight or Dark Knight Rises).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Fargin Icehole posted:

Isn't it kinda hosed up that batman's students (like, say robin, batgirl, nightwing) would...uh study under him for an indeterminate amount of years and all of a sudden this dude who comes out of nowhere prior to city, who knows how to make fiery bat-shaped crop circles...is able to be the successor?

I mean is this like a comic book thing, or something you can actually reason with?
It's what happened in the comics, yeah.

Bane breaks Batman's back, Batman appoints Azrael as his successor, Batman realises it's a loving huge mistake, recovers and then fights Azrael.

E: The two more recent times Batman has been replaced it's been by Dick Grayson and Jim Gordon, but in both those cases Bruce wasn't around to make the choice.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 20, 2015

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I think the first time that happened, Dick as Batman is fighting Joker who cracks some terrible joke.... and Dick cracks one right back. Joker gets all super-pissed because BATMAN'S NOT SUPPOSED TO JOKE BACK! :supaburn:
And then Damian (as Robin) tries to beat up the Joker using a crowbar.

The Dick / Damian dynamic duo was one of the best Batman-related things in years.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

I don't get the extreme love for the dual predator bit. It felt like one of the least robust features in the game.

It's got obvious potential, works thematically, and wasn't driven into the ground with overuse. The one instance we saw was very straightforward but it's not hard to imagine how it could be expanded.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Yeah, the AK Azrael is kinda the Third Ghost of Batman one.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

SonicRulez posted:

Fun Fact: I thought they just made up random names for the islands in this game, but Miagani is name dropped here in the New 52. I'm re-reading the volumes I have since I'm gonna go on another comics spree here soon. I definitely plan on Year One in print and the Batman trades on Comixology. What are the recs on the other Bat-Family books? I have all of Nightwing and a couple volumes of Batman & Robin. I've heard good things about Grayson. Batgirl? Jason? Tim?
Some of the Miagani tribe are ancestors of Bruce Wayne, in fact.

Batgirl after the (soft) reboot is fun. Incorporated is great, but it's at the end of Morrison's run and isn't really a good place to dive in.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

Just to mix things up with a few lesser known stories, Black and White are a bunch of short stories but are really good, Gothic is a good early Grant Morrison story, The Cult is the Deacon Blackfyre story and it's good, Shaman, The Man Who Laughs, Venom, The Black Mirror, Son of the Demon, and Destroyer are all good.

Yeah, Legends of the Dark Knight is a really good source of deep-cuts for Batman.

Also I'd really recommend Batman Confidential #49, except it's pretty annoying to find. It's a single issue story about what goes through Batman's head while he's investigating a relatively ordinary crime. It totally nails the detective aspect of the character in a way that very few other stories do, and looks great while doing it.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 21, 2015

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

They backtracked on that real quick and the explanation now is that Joker edited himself into old photographs to gently caress with Batman.

I don't think they backtracked on it per se, I think Snyder always intended to have that kind of alternate explanation there. He's done that kind of ambiguity at the end of almost every one of his arcs too, right back to Black Mirror.

Fonzarelli posted:

He cut his face off and now he wears it as a mask? Thats like, a permanent thing?
It happened in one dumb book nobody should ever bother reading, then the character was left alone for a while, then there was a major arc where his face-mask thing was a big deal, then it was fixed (not ret-conned, just fixed). Then (after another story) he died. He is not actually dead.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Holy poo poo this makes a massive difference.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

On the topic of good Batman stories, apparently Batman: Black and White is really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKPLopZt6b4

It's a really good anthology of Batman stories, often by writers or artists who don't normally work with the character.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Pyg is frequently meant to be very black comedy, which is why there are scenes like "sexy disco hot".

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Epi Lepi posted:

Just finished the story tonight, is there any reason to do New Game Plus besides just for the sake of it/whatever achievement surely exists?

It's worth at least starting it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

MeatwadIsGod posted:

It makes sense when you're in the bigger world of the Justice League since it justifies him being there. Batman being the master tactician among a bunch of gods keeps him from falling into the Hawkeye-in-the-Avengers pitfall. When you're just dealing with Batman's world without anyone else from the wider universe, I prefer him to be a masterful detective who is fallible and not an 11th dimensional chess player. In the Arkham games he seems like a cross between Morrison's BatGod and Miller's brutal-as-gently caress Batman.

One of my favourite Batman bits is from Time and the Batman (written by Morrison) where you're hearing his internal monologue about all the loving crazy poo poo that goes down during Final Crisis, and how he's just a man in a world of mythology, trying to keep up. Then he tries to punch an alien in a nerve cluster she doesn't have (because she's an alien) and gets his arse handed to him.

He comes to the conclusion that he's so small he can slip through the holes in the plans of gods, and decides that by becoming a part of that story he can win.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Techniichan posted:

Do side missions not provide waypoints to objectives? I just picked up Arkham Knight (never played any previous games in the series); I think I've been spoiled with games holding my hand.

Some will (you'll get a notification about having Intel, and get directed to the location). A few of them have clues when you're in the area, like hearing opera music or radio chatter with thugs threatening someone.

Some you just have to find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

What about challenge rooms do you think appeals to the average player?
They're a good quickplay mode. If I want to press buttons to be Batman, it's quicker doing it there than in the story.

• Locked thread