Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Please consult my handy checklist:

Are you on a job that can you Fracture? If yes, continue:

Do you like to deal damage? If yes, continue:

Are you currently out of TP? If no, continue:

gently caress it what am I a sperglord? Don't use Fracture anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

So how many instanced versions of the first Heavensward zone do you think we're gonna need to keep Excalibur from exploding? My money's on 5

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Calling it now, two hours before the scheduled maintenance ends SE is gonna make a post extending it for another 6 hours.

Gonna laugh when it happens.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

The soldiery item stuff being added to the grand companies, you mean?

Normally the big difference between prelim and full notes is that they'll only list specific recipe info in the latter, like you said, to avoid affecting the markets before the patch is implemented, but since they didn't list recipes this time, I'm not seeing too many other differences.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

My one-time password was 6 of the same number.

What could it mean? :tinfoil:

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Demicol posted:

If you can't log in, sit on the start screen for a while for a new movie. It has 2.5 storyline spoilers though if you haven't beaten it yet.

Is it the same as the video they showed at Fanfest?

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Hahaha had one attempt that put me in a queue, and then back to World Data errors. We keep killing it!

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

loving thunderstorm knocked out my power. :argh:

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Some of y'all have been sitting here refreshing a page for an hour and 15 minutes straight.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

In addition there will be fights where an Astrologian puts that skill speed buff on you and while it's great, it will absolutely murder the poo poo out of your TP.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Verranicus posted:

Had a guy who tied a macro to his drawing a card on AST every. single. time. Not pictured is me being told to deal with it by the entire party after telling him it was a bit much.

Balmung.txt

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Rei_ posted:

wait really?

The level 60 dungeons sets are straight up Tactics Ogre class armors, and they look amazing.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

It also might be complete coincidence, but among my friends the ones who are most awful at their roles are all the ones who leveled up on FATES almost exclusively. The ones who ran dungeons actually seemed to learn to hit buttons that aren't Flash. :shrug:

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Moldy Taxes posted:

The trick will be Warrior of Darkness is a shapeshifter who will turn into you for the inevitable instance fight.

This is a really funny post for reasons I don't think you understand :v:

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

knowing who the problem is doesn't actually change anything, because 'being bad' isn't currently a vote-kickable offense and that's unlikely to change

Uh, you can only access Bismarck/Ravana Ex with a premade, and if you think people can't or won't exit the fight and kick out the poo poo dps then lol.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Vermain posted:

I actually was wondering: you can't report someone for randomly kicking you from PF, right? The only thing that makes me hesitant is that you're not supposed to actually mention DPS parsing in a public party context, and I'd feel bad just randomly slagging some dude without any feedback over why.

From what I understand, the standing policy is kinda dumb in that even if you genuinely want to help the person with honest feedback, "[Bad Player], you're only doing 100 dps, you need to fine-tune your rotation on a testing dummy/use cooldowns/not have all your procs on one macro" could be construed by the person as using a third-party parser to harass someone.

Kicking someone from the group with "[Bad], you're doing the least amount of damage of the group, you need to fine-tune your rotation on a testing dummy/use cooldowns/not have all your procs on one macro." is fine though, and no, they can't report you for it as long as you don't tacitly admit to using parsers.

Like I said, kinda dumb.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Verranicus posted:

Is the trailblazer set for gatherers even really worth getting considering it has no meld slots? Would the HQ serpentskin set be better to shoot for because if so I'd rather by grinding gil than scrips.

They'll both be worse than the red scrip turn-in, so why blow your money now?

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Sometimes I only need one more dungeon's worth of experience until my next level, and as a dps queue it's nice when some tank doesn't just shrug and say "Just speed run two dungeons instead, it'll be faster!" :shrug:

Especially if you kill the goddamn Marlboro fruits without asking ahead of time.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Every group I've run has killed the Mists add as it spawned. Generally I'll just kill it myself as a WHM if they don't bother.

I've seen it successfully run both ways, and it's not like the boss' charge attack is particularly hard to avoid, but even so getting hit by a twister at the wrong time can stun you long enough to take 2-3 hits from the boss, and on a non-tank that coupled with a mist turret can be kinda dangerous.

The way I see it though if your dps is good/okay the difference is probably negligible, and if they're bad it's not magically gonna make them not bad to leave more adds on the field.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I think the A1 clear speed is entirely dependent on how competently your group can handle the adds. I've had runs where melee dps have to peel off the boss to help the ranged guys manage the adds and it has a noticeable effect on the clear time. Even so, provided you don't have any dead weight (a dismal prospect in DF, admittedly) I still haven't come close to hitting the enrage.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It could be worse. Just think: Highland Barding sold for 1.5M at the start of 3.0. By last night, the one that I've been continually reposting and undercutting by 1 gil finally sold for 295K after taxes.

Go back to Econ 101, noob.

In a stunning counterpoint to this, the first Ravana's Forewings were listed for like 5 mil, actually sold for like 50k, cratered to like 3k, then rebounded and I was able to offload mine for half a million.

Launch day economics defy all sense.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Level 59 off hands are sold in (Minor story spoiler) Matoya's Cave

Also don't forget about the main/offhand items given as quest rewards.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Doublestep posted:

You know every class gets Byregots at 51 now right

It's a shittier, less efficient, more RNG dependent version though.

Basically, get Byregot's.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Pews posted:

item + generic token. So you could either get lucky and get the item you want, or enough running the dungeon and you can eventually just turn in tokens to get what you want.

What about after the second week when you're fully geared up?

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

So as I understand it, each crafting class gained a new cross-class able skill at 54? Are any of them particularly worth shooting for? So far I've only gotten the ones that increase the effectiveness of a "Brand of x" skill which while helpful, seems particularly situational.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I'm somewhat curious what exactly people expected when they featured all the crafter AF in the HW previews. Did y'all really think they were gonna put a Patrician's equivalent on the Red Scrip trader?

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

You either got mega carried (in which case congrats!) or you should probably fix your ACT settings.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I mean all the arguments about 50+ being a money sink aside, even if you do nothing but your GC turning each day you'll slowly but surely see a decent amount of progress. Doing one is usually good for 1/5th-1/6th of a level alone, and if they're starred then you're looking at double that amount. It's a relatively low-effort way to raise all your crafting classes.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Yes. Enjoy your single Tier IV materia!

(and quest story conclusion, but who cares about that)

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 30, 2015

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Two weeks ago I dreaded any recipe that included Titanium Ingots because cloud mica was super expensive and I couldn't gather it myself. Now I can churn out a few dozen HQ pieces in a few minutes with the materials I have on-hand and a level 60 crafting macro.

Face it man, these prices have nowhere to go but down.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

You can pay your subscription with that Steam currency. Not sure if that outweighs always being locked in to Steam versions for expansions though.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

My new combat retainer just hit 44 the other day, so I gave him some of my old gear to boost his ilvl, and now it's like a little dose of Balmung every time he comes back from a venture.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

What are you supposed to do when you queue an EXDR with a low-gear tank and you're decked out in Alex gear and an Esoterics weapon? At that point it feels like you actively have to sabotage your own rotation, since within 3-4 gcds on a mob you're already stealing it.

Edit: See, too high DPS wouldn't be an issue if I had picked up the Eso chest instead. :v:

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

That sure is a video depicting Contagion, the skill he was asking about.

...oh wait.

vvv We coo' :hfive: vvv

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Aug 6, 2015

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

C'mon guys, nobody sane is gonna be overmelding Grade V materia for crafting or gathering, and it's obvious that you're not supposed to given those rates.

The success rates for the lower grades (The ones you actually DO overmeld) are a lot higher.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Drium posted:

Less Stargates and more teleporters. AFAIK they don't have means to transport stuff like vehicles and ships easily (or else marching on Eorzea would be a lot easier than Gaius' failure of an attempt due to lack of manpower and firepower), but you can see a few instances of personal teleporters in the Praetorium at least.

Yeah, when they need to move mass quantities of cargo and vehicles they manage to make due with A loving DOOMTRAIN.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Um...Krinkle I think you threw everyone off when you mentioned "Forager's", since that was, before Heavensward, the most advanced Gathering equipment one could make, and massive overkill for a post-Heavensward new 50. Since you mention "the other 50 chest pieces" like the Weaver's coattail, I can only assume the piece of equipment you had in mind to make was actually the Botanist's Doublet, the starting-grade gear for a new level 50 Botanist.

...Which is a Leatherworking recipe. :v:

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

When they raised the desynth cap, did they also do away with the point limit?

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

If anyone remembers me, I'm the AST who made the post giving my feedback about our performance in Alex Savage. Some of the replies encouraged me to share my thoughts here in the future. Thank you for that. I'm making this post for anyone who wants to listen, including the devs. "Avalanches" by IAMX is oddly fitting to accompany my feelings.

A little update on my story: changing to white mage impacted me too negatively. I had to leave my static. I discarded my Esoterics and Ravana canes after doing so. I lost a great deal of patience and understanding from the switch. I lost part of what made me who I am--ultimately, my humanity. The stress made me a liability. What made it worse was that I felt like I couldn't talk about it. I only wanted to be understood by the people around me; I frustrated myself because I knew that my concerns were too deep for them to relate to. I've since declined offers to raid again. No one worth their salt wants an astrologian. I know, if I were to go back to white mage, that resentment would come out again. I'd rather wait for the devs to fix my main job before deciding if I'll quit or not. So now I'm a "casual."

There is a real problem of dehumanization in this game. The endgame community, as it probably is on many servers, and many games, isn't for me. I blame myself for joining it in the first place for the sake of raiding. In many cases I've witnessed, people who were dissatisfied with their real lives took out their issues on others in this game. For them, top-tier gear and efficiency trump the idea that there are real people behind the monitors and televisions. By elevating themselves to this imagined status, they make the gear treadmill their sole concern at the expense of discarding others. Like the new lancer they were rude to for not knowing to ignore the bomb in the second boss in Copperbell Mines normal--they might have canceled their sub, or, worse, continued this cycle by refusing to see others as humans with feelings, all to forget about that poor experience.

I'm not a saint, either. There were too many times when I quantified my experiences as time per tomestones and/or gil, and failed to take other peoples' feelings into consideration. That was wrong of me. There's nothing in my life I feel I must take out on "lesser" players, and yet I did these things anyway. I'm sure there are others who have no real reason to put others down except, "Well, they're doing it wrong. This is the right way." I hope you can also take something away from this post.

I contributed to the gilbuying problem in our game until I realized it, and eventually stopped answering calls for sell runs.

I watched the destruction of friendships, linkshells and free companies over in-game currency, playstyle disputes or job choices (hello astrologians, dark knights, bards and machinists everywhere) and did nothing, or not enough, to stop them from happening.

I neglected to teach willing players because I'd deemed them unworthy of my time when I should have been more understanding. Look to those who walked before to lead those who walk after.

On the other end of the spectrum, the non-hardcores who resent the community I was a part of: they make generalizations and group all of those players into one category of unfeeling elitists. "Fight the power," they may be thinking. "They don't want to understand us, so why should we understand them?" You're right. Not everyone deserves that understanding if they aren't willing to give you the same. At the same time, spreading a blanket over everyone in a group and deeming them as others has contributed to countless wars, supremacy groups and bigotry in our world's history. As a less dramatic example, suicides, low self-esteem and poor attitudes are all direct results of gamers feeling ostracized in some way. It isn't fair. It isn't right.

The servers could be shut down tomorrow for some mysterious reason. That sense of superiority (or fighting back against the elites) would die with the game. Where would some of you be then? Forced to look in the mirror at the wasteland that is your life and your choices. That would be torture for you when it shouldn't be.

tl;dr - people have feelings, as I'm sure you do. The emotional genocide in the video game community is staggering. It probably doesn't seem like a big deal until you are personally affected by it. Please don't contribute to it, and if you do, make an effort to do better. Someone on these forums has a quote in their signature by Ernest Hemingway that fits perfectly: "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Try to remember. Try to understand. Please.

P.S. - Thank you again to GM Eresgha for helping me with an unrelated matter. You were very helpful. You also restored a little more of my faith in this game and the community.

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Aug 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Logicone posted:

Source your quotes, please.

Just 'cause you asked so nicely.

Edit: Do you know how hard it was to not just bold the whole thing.

• Locked thread