Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Thanks, this is good stuff.

Though I was turned off of 1.0 by the beta (and I'm usually lenient on those), it's interesting/entertaining to read all these posts with the benefit of hindsight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I remember there was an April Fool's Joke to this effect at one point

It was amusing but I was also kinda interested

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Belzac posted:

I sure do love my bioware visual novels.

I don't even really care about romance, but I'd like more content where it feels like my character is a part of the world and has an active role in it in a way that isn't doing peoples' chores for them. It'd be nice if your character could have meaningful relationships with other characters on the side, at your choosing, like your character has with Alphinaud, Hauchefant, Cid, and the like.

The MSQ is good for that but there isn't enough of it. A lot of the quests that introduce you to content are actually good for this too, like the Diadem/Void Ark introductions, but they're too brief to really establish much beyond "your character is a do-gooder".

Granted this is well outside the typical MMO setup of kill monsters + minigames, but people seem to like the MSQ so it could probably work if there was a good way to handle it.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Xenoveritas posted:

Requesting that the next thread title be "FINAL FANTASY XIV: Go and pick up the drat rocks."

There's no shortage of self-aware humor in the game but I particularly like this bit.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Moldy Taxes posted:

I felt kind of burned by how quickly the Ul'Dah stuff tied itself off in 3.0, mainly because there's a small chunk of the 3.0 prerendered opening dedicated to making Lolorito look menacing and Raubahn brooding in prison. Complete conjecture, but given how early these prerendered trailers are made it wouldn't surprise me to learn that the Ul'Dah portion of 3.0 was more prevalent in an earlier draft.

I was thinking the same thing based on Momodi's dialogue after the WoL is redeemed, something about she felt as though a bigger change was about to happen, but maybe the world wasn't ready for it. Maybe this is a bit :tinfoil:, but the rather abrupt way it was handled is rather suspicious.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Volume posted:

Not interested in challenge log l.

The challenge log is just tons of free exp for doing things you were going to do anyway. And it takes like 2 minutes to unlock, if that.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

They did, eventually fix that, but yeah, probably the worst piece of design work in an MMO still in existence.

I dunno, XI had a lot of those. Like the entire design of the summoner class (prior to being reworked several times over the years).

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

Prospect, in a dungeon? :lol:

For a while in ARR I would cross-class Truth of Mountains and Truth of Forests on SMN in 4-mans just for the giggles. I mean sure in theory Surecast is more useful but I can probably count on one hand the amount of times I actually activated it and expected it to do anything in PvE content.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Failboattootoot posted:

Goons hate churning mists because they played HW at launch and you needed to do all the sidequests because even doing all of them didn't get you to 60 and there were at least 3 levelling gaps where I ran out of quests to do.

But also because it's an ugly lovely zone that you get sent back to not once but twice while hinterlands and azys go criminally underused.

I liked Churning Mists visually but the "find the thing" quests were often quite annoying.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Brainamp posted:

Summoners also summon trial bosses, so nothing new really.

To be fair Demi-Bahamut looks more like Bahamut Prime than a chicken nugget

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Zereth posted:

Yeah, top-tier gear from ARR lasted like, halfway through levelling up in HW, while in WoW I remember your gear from the last expansion being obsolete immediately.

I remember using Cryptstalker all the way to the level cap in TBC just because of the set bonus, but yeah.

In other news I can tell "perfecting" my red mage skills is going to take some doing. At least it suggests that doing a normal rotation with RDM shouldn't lead to running out of MP with regular use of Lucid Dreaming (unless you die), assuming the numbers are correct and stay that way (big if, granted).

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

This isn't a very good way of testing or even seeing how good you will be with Red Mage.

I disagree, getting comfortable with how the skills work seems like a good idea.

Obviously it's not anywhere close to being competent with it in actual fights, but it seems roughly as good as testing on a dummy.

Edit: Perhaps saying "I disagree" is too strong, I agree that isn't going to make you "good" at red mage, it's just a starting point. I do consider it useful for "testing".

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jun 5, 2017

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

On the subject of roulettes; assuming you're queuing solo, what's the best role to pick to maximize your chances of finishing the run quickly (putting aside queue times, I just mean the time spent in the dungeon itself)?

Through Heavensward I always felt like I contributed the most as a Summoner due to high aoe damage. It synced up well to the pull rate of the average PUG and it was a class I was very comfortable playing.

That's not really a "role" I guess because I wouldn't queue as a different dps class but generally my view is to go with whatever has the best aoe damage. Granted it drops off if you get one of those single-pull tanks but those are thankfully pretty rare these days it seems.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I'd say it's a good idea to level a little bit of a few different classes so you can play around with cross-class abilities but that's not going to be as relevant in about a week.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

SonicRulez posted:

This man speaks nonsense, ignore him.

YMMV, I was engaged for pretty much all of the story except for some of the early 2.x post-Praet stuff but I can see why someone else might not be. I think it deserves a shot though.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Yep.Plus the game from level 1 to 40 is boring as gently caress. You have no abilities and all the dungeons are just different colored caves. It doesn't really start to get interesting until the ARR endgame. Heavensward is better and hopefully Stormblood is even better.

If I never see Tam Tara or Copperbell again it'll be too loving soon.

I was recently reading the archived thread and the reactions from people to the early dungeons/P3-4 beta and I think new players should have a chance to react like that too. Suffice it to say the early dungeons weren't exactly being described as "different colored caves". Folks seemed to be enjoying themselves quite a bit!

I mean if they want to skip it all that's fine, but they could at least give it a little chance first maybe?

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 8, 2017

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Did they ever release a Heavensward OST?

The Far Edge of Fate Soundtrack was just released today I believe, for all the 3.x content.

Heavensward OST itself was out quite a while ago.

Zaphod42 posted:

Right, which is why in the post that I made, I said you should test the game out before you commit to anything. And then a couple goons overreacted.

Fair enough.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Well my timing is certainly good then. Did they ever release an OST with music from the latter part of ARR? I vaguely remember the ARR OST missing stuff.

Yes, it was also named after the last patch (Before the Fall).

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I wouldn't say I always found the story particularly interesting, as in the plot (though the characters can be endearing at times), but I'm a sucker for world-building. I really enjoy it when the game makes me feel as though my character is part of a detailed and evolving fantasy world (even if it is as the chosen one super-hero). I may not do every single random sidequest because gently caress that, but it was the primary motivator for me maxing out every Beast Tribe rep and every Postmoogle quest, and it's why I'm eager to finish the MSQ whenever there's an addition. I don't think I'd still be out there killing Internet dragons if it wasn't for that. When I played WoW I said if they made this game in a Final Fantasy universe I'd probably play it forever, and so far I've been playing since launch so here we are.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

More Lalafell:

Sasara Sara
Never Used a Fantasia and Lovin' It
"..."

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

mistaya posted:

Well I can tell you right now that your DRK, MCH, or AST gets spit out of the intro quest naked with a weapon so that seems unlikely! But yes there's vendor gear freely available and you'll start getting HQ gear from the quests if you haven't done HW questing yet.

Are you sure? I remember getting a robe and some pants for AST, not a full set or anything but more than naked + weapon. Looking at Garlandtools confirms this (quest reward is weapon + jobstone + robe which includes headgear + pants).

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I don't think so, but I am considering going back to XI for a month or two sometime during a XIV lull because apparently it's entirely possible to blow through that game solo now with NPC companions in a few weeks and I never got to see some of the later story stuff.

Pre-ARR XIV, even 1.23, just looks painful. XI at least had some good points. Like Blue Mage.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 12, 2017

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Did Merlwyb even ever do anything for the entirety of the 3.x storyline? There was a good chunk of the plot that revolved around Raubahn, the sultana, and Ul'dah; while Kan-e-Senna at least visited the moogles and was involved in getting Y'shtola back, but all I remember Merlwyb doing was filling out some forms or something. I may have forgotten something though, was she important in any way?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

quote:

EXP that can be gained for players over Level 60 delivering collectable items under Level 60 to a House of Splendors Exchange is now be capped at 10,000.

Hmmm. So items that are exactly level 60 still give full EXP? Nice if so, I have a bunch of red scrip collectables saved up, mostly for red scrips since I anticipated an EXP nerf but if there's no EXP nerf I'll get like 15 million gathering EXP in the first 5 minute of logging in.

Probably just typed wrong but hey, I can hope right?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

big nipples big life posted:

Does

mean an Arcanist can swap between scholar and summoner w/out having to respec or gimp one or the other?

Yeah, looks like attribute points are essentially folded into traits now. The ones that give you stat points now give a lot more stat points.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Go to Uldah and talk to some guy.

I don't think we know exactly who yet but it should show on your map as an available level 50 quest.

We do know the quest starters at least, they're in the patch notes.

Only prerequisite mentioned is level 50 so any level 50 should be good to go.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I wish the RDM melee combo was one-button like in PvP, it doesn't have branching paths or positionals.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I think I found what is pretty much Cyan/Doma's theme from FF6, which makes this the best expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

A Spider Covets posted:

Unpopular opinion: I greatly prefer leveling in dungeons. The environments are just so much lovelier and varied in dungeons (barring a few crappy ones), and on the rare occasions I turn my sound on, the music is nice, too. I think I just feel cramped in POTD, although it does have fun mechanics.

I like leveling in dungeons but that's going to be impossible for the next few days for DPS jobs I imagine (or at least/especially 50-60 RDMs/SAMs). So it's either PotD or see if the FATE changes make it worthwhile again. See if I can sneak in a leveling/50 roulette or two.

• Locked thread