Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Leal posted:

Post your catgirl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Currently, the best way to gear up is to collect a unique currency by running daily dungeon roulettes. The gear you get from that can be upgraded by spending another unique currency that you get through daily mob hunts. There are ways to poopsock those currencies, but only crazy people do that. The newest raid is going to be released soon, but getting good gear is really easy and fun if you do your dailies.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Azerban posted:

...you can walk?

press the / button on your numbpad. You can rebind that, if you want.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

pandaK posted:

What is even the point of walking besides roleplay options

Well, just like some people were saying last page, certain mobs only detect players when they make sound, instead of walking in front of their line of sight. RP walking lets you skip those mobs. For example, in the Aery you can grab that treasure chest by the sleeping dragon if you walk up to it instead of running.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

I think ACT only tracks what you receive as part of your in game combat log. If you changed the settings for that tab of the chat log, it will mess up ACT's estimations.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Maybe healers should just stop healing anyone who isn't a tank unless it's a raid-wide attack. DPS shouldn't need healing, right? They don't have the hate of the boss. :colbert:

"Oh you died? Sorry, I'm only healing the tank because it's his job to take the damage and he's wearing str instead of vit."

Actually, this is exactly what you should do. Regen/fairy healing is much more mp efficient, but you lose out on the time efficiency of direct healing. Since DPS shouldn't be taking damage very often, you can let them slowly get back up to full health over 20 seconds instead spamming cure on them. Plus, that gives them enough time to remember that they have second wind or bloodbath, which means you can give even less of a poo poo about them.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

You need to do a few quests at your GC to unlock hunts. If you haven't done those, I don't think you will get anything from killing hunt targets. To unlock those quests, you'll need to be at the max level of your GC.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

If you need more space, you can store a lot of those things in an armoire, and there are a ton of low level craftable items that you don't need to keep around.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

TheShadowAvatar posted:

I sell my HQ quest rewards from Heavesward content for 20k-60k on average with a 200k outlier on Balmung. YMMV.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about leveling a second class from 1-50, not 51-60.

Like other people have said, I think it would be ideal to find a goon who is willing to help you out instead of leveling BSM and MIN by themselves, but there is no reason you can't do that. If you want to level those classes for their own merits, then I think you should go for it. If you don't want to craft/gather, then your grand company and class quests should keep you well armed.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Square added an undersized party option in 3.0 that you could use. As long as you have a tank, a healer, and a DPS, you could probably do most low level content with just the three of you. Assuming you are all quick learners, you could do that with the first dungeon at level 15. If you guys are good, you probably wouldn't even need a tank until you hit level 30 or 40. The option also removes level sync, so you can go into a low level dungeon with a bunch of high level characters and murder everything at whatever pace you want. The only downside would be not getting exp for putting in extra work.

edit: Is there a requirement to use undersized parties? I thought it was available to everyone. As for it being too hard, I've had plenty of duty roulettes with dead weight pubbies that the rest of the group has had to carry through.

Tenik fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Sep 3, 2015

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Lael makes a good point. Even if there is a requirement to unlocking undersized party stuff, as long as you guys are playing on a server with goons, you could probably find someone to go into the dungeon with you, and then leave as soon as you start. That would result in a three person party with level-sync and exp intact.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

I believe, but could be wrong, that something like this would work for you:

/micon invigorate
/ac invigorate
/ac enliven

When you hit that the first time it will use invigorate. If invigorate is on cooldown it will use enliven.

While this technically does what you want, it's still going to cause some delay to your input. Macros use the game's text based input to trigger a skill, instead of queuing them up. Queueing a skill means that it will be used as soon as possible, while text input for skills are subject to input delay, which will vary depending on your ping, and animation lock. Without the macro, you will always use one of your healing skills as soon as the server says you can, but with a macro, you will have to mash the button in order to make sure that the skill goes off. If you care about either of those skills going off reliably, don't put them in a macro.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Just a quick reminder: if you bought the game on steam, you will NEED to buy the expansion on steam, and if you bought it for a console, you will need to buy their own versions of it.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Yep, you got it. Make sure you get the carbonized matter you'll need to meld whatever you end up using.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

EponymousMrYar posted:

They're pretty much designed this way. Freaking Dravinian Forelands with that hill.

That zone is the area that earned all my 'AUGH MOOGLE QUESTS NEVER END' hate because at least the moogles had the decency of dropping the other half of their quests on you AFTER you get flying.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i hate that hill so so much

It's way too late now, but you could have used the chocobo porter to fly over that hill. You just need to dismount in midair.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

I don't think you can toggle mouse 2, but you can rebind your strafe keys and switch from the standard camera mode to legacy.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Vil posted:

I was thinking more of the first-time trip through the 40s where, at launch, MSQ was all "okay, come back in five levels" and gave you gently caress-all help with those levels. Diligent sidequesting up to that point might have given you enough lead that it was only "come back in two levels" or something, but there was still a need to stop and dungeon/fate grind your first time through.

Naturally on non-first-time trips, there's armory bonus but also just pure grind (be it roulette, dungeon, fate, whatever). That's not what I was referring to, though. Basically just wondering if MSQ + sidequests + a single run of each dungeon would be enough to hit 50 now, or if you'd still need to pad it out with roulette bonuses, fates, repeat dungeon runs, etc.

If you avoid all of the optional content, and do the bare minimum of what is required for the MSQ, you will absolutely run into small level gaps. But, if you play the game and go with the flow, you'll be fine.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

The Black Stones posted:

Last post about this got lost in the shuffle so I'm just asking one more time, In LoV I got to level 9 and can't seem to damage the boss. It wants me to use a trap on the field but unless I missed it the game never told me how to do this. Can someone explain this for me?

When a minion walks over to the plunger, a bomb will start to follow them around. If you use that minion's skill, they will set the bomb down and make a trap. 10 seconds after that, you can trigger the trap by pressing the blue button next to the red action button

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

How about having the boss drop a new token that can be exchanged for anything that can currently be rolled for on that floor?

Exchange your loot token to get a gear token to get gear.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

That's the default look of the gearset that is the most practical for him to use.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

MNK gets shoulder tackle, which is like plunge, and NIN get's shukuchi, which is a teleport that is targeted like a ground based aoe.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Can you connect to any of the other data centers, or is it just primal giving you trouble? If you can't connect to any of them, it might be your firewall.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

nope

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Wanderer's minuet introduces a bottleneck that forces you to think about where you position yourself, and it comes with a bunch of new skills that develops into an economy of GCD attacks and oGCDs buffs/burst damage. All of the 50+ BRD skills are supposed to make the player plan out their rotations, while remaining flexible enough to use their procs from their 2.0 skillset. ARR BRD worked in a very similar way, especially with how important applying buffed dots was, but most players didn't bother learning the class well enough to do the most dot damage possible while also increasing their number of river of blood procs.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

A free company is a guild. A linkshell is a private chat channel. If you want to play with goons, join an FC, and if you become close friends with some of them, start an LS. If you want to join a goon FC, you'll need to make an account on http://forums.ffgoons.com/ to get an ID code, then follow the instructions on the site and send an application to the FC.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Based on that chat log, it looks like they were using stable access as an incentive to join their out of game forum and be more social and active in the FC.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

It's luck.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Arrrthritis posted:

When I logged in on this guy (Made him over a year ago on a drunken bender) it turns out I already had 15 levels in marauder! So I definitely put foresight in on my hotbar, idk how my damage is to make bloodbath something I should always keep an eye on though.

And yeah I guess true to FFIV paladin healing seems to be pretty atrocious (given how the enmity system works, you'd think the paladin would have some sick single-target heals, but I guess it would be bad for a job to be tank/healer). I'm okay with that so long as I get to throw my shield at people and be a beacon of light against waves of darkness and maybe buff the party too.

Thaaat's a bummer. Should I expect to deal with a lot of poo poo from party members or is it generally expected for 30-40 paladins to be poo poo (and rake in commendations if I don't lose aggro)?

Also, some more questions!

Questions for now-

What the hell do I need to be stunning/interrupting. I've had this ability in my hotbar for some time now that I haven't been using and it has been driving me nuts.

Questions for late late game-

Can I multiclass job abilities? So like, can I mix Dark Knight and Paladin abilities together to make some weird super tank?

and then if yes, what job goes well with paladin? Is being Cecil a viable thing and not overused/in demand?

The amount of agro you generate is based on the damage that you deal, so your level 30 stance will help you hold mobs' attention, especially for targets you are currently attacking. The level 40 stance gives you a nice boost to your enmity multiplier, which makes aoe skills like flash better. As long as you flash two or three times, then make sure to tab between targets to spread the hate, and use Rage of Halone on whatever the DPS are attacking, sword oath will let you generate more than enough threat. When I do level 50 stuff on PLD, I always do boss fights with sword oath instead of shield.

At level 28, you can do a dungeon called Haukke Manor. The flying succubi will do a large aoe as soon as you pull them that you should stun, but other than that you shouldn't worry about the skill too much. If I'm in a party with two DPS that rely on positionals, I like to use shield bash to stop aoes that would force me to move mobs around, as long as using my stun wouldn't interrupt my combo or make me lose threat.

You cannot crossclass job skills, just class skills.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Warren posted:

Is there a way to disable the other hotbars when using a controller or am I poo poo outta luck on that front?

Hotbar settings are under the character configuration menu. You can swap between keyboard and controller with the big switch in the upper left, and hide/show individual hotbars in the hotbar section of the menu.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Plus, a lot of skills can be used across classes. So the more you level, the more options you have.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

SonicRulez posted:

What's the best way to crank out the last few levels from 46 to 49? Forgive me, I know someone asked not long ago, but I can't seem to find it.

Leves in Mor Dhona are a great way to level from 44 to 50, as long as you have plenty, aren't planning on using them for crafting/gathering, and have a bored level 60 who will kill everything for you.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

NIN's theoretical, most optimal rotation does a little bit less damage than a MNK's or DRG's. That small difference in damage is made up for by NIN's slashing debuff boosting tank damage, and trick attack increasing party wide damage output.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Not really. Once you do the level 15 mainstory quest, you can travel to all of the major towns and unlock all of the not-3.0 classes. You can try all of them, and play what you enjoy.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Those are only for the class you are currently on. If you level to 60 on DRG, and switch to WHM, you won't get any bonus stats from your DRG. There is literally no downsides to playing multiple classes/jobs.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

When I play AST, I mostly use stoneskin on the tank as the group is moving to the next pull. It's not that big of a deal, but it'll give you an extra second to dot stuff before you have to heal. As for Aspected Benefic, each tick of regen causes a little bit of agro. If you use it before a pull, and it ticks before the tank has time to flash/overpower/tag a mob some other way, that one tick will make the mob run to you.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

You might need to do some roulette dungeons, but yes, the MSQ will take you to 50 with no trouble. Some sidequests will lead you to optional dungeons, or side stuff like the aesthictian or treasure maps, and you should do those. You can buy all of the ARR sidequest gear from vendors, and goons can make you better stuff than that, anyway, so you don't need to worry about that. You should prioritize your MSQ more.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

ruta posted:

I've been levelling a paladin slowly. I decided to go with it as my tanking job just before 3.2. Really, it wasn't so hard to hold hate as I thought it would be. I've only been using dungeon drops and GC gear and I do okay. It got way easier once I got Rage of Halone. I'd flash twice and start laying out my full combo and things generally went super smoothly.

But then I turned level 40 today and tried out Shield Oath and it's a joke. I feel like I could flash twice and go afk and things would be fine. The fact that my DPS was absolutely atrocious didn't help. Kind of felt like I may as well not be there. I almost never see paladins tanking in sword oath, but how crazy an idea is it? I wish the oaths didn't take a lot of MP and were OGCD. I think it'd make the job way more fun.

I tank in sword oath all the time when I am fighting a boss. Shield is nice for large groups mostly for the damage reduction, so your healer can AOE more. If you are managing your cooldowns and don't have to worry about a tank buster, go for it. Make sure you pop Fight or Flight before you pull/between a shield lob and fast blade, so you can get some upfront agro.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

You are supposed to take the airship there. If you enter the building to the east of the main aether crystal, you can take an elevator up to the airship landing.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

If there is no point in keeping them separated, why not let one tank take both and let the OT focus on DPSing? I don't remember them hitting especially hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

They'll require a pony materia, which you can only get by winning a 2.0 primal pony, bonding with it by going on a 2.0 style sightseeing log road trip, then sacrificing it.

• Locked thread