Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Dapper Dan posted:

To be honest, I don't give two shits about ethics in game journalism. Its like trying to take the NRA out of Guns and Ammo. It is not going to happen. Besides, if it doesn't stay terrible, how will I laugh at 'games journalists'?

Also, it was recently revealed that less than 3% of people use game reviews to make a purchase. It is all YouTube and word of mouth nowadays. Gaming sites are the walking dead at this point. There's no real point to reforming 'gaming journalism' when it is at the end of its run. I honestly take recommendations for buying stuff in the Games `forum over any reviewer. I can't ever recall buying something based off a game review except to see if it would melt my computer or not.

Yup, pretty much this.

Yeah, pretty much, I think alot of people just want to see gawker and polygon fall which they seem to be doing on their own. As i said in the other thread, Both sides suck. GG is basically /pol/ jr at this point and it kinds of just sits in its own corner playing with itself and listening to whatever libertarian website talks about it. the antis/sjws/anti gamer/whatever you call them are now just running around screaming at what ever game is popular at the moment (witcher 3/ arkham knight/ soon mgs5) and calling it sexist or racist or gross and violent. just look at josh and anita reactions to doom or josh tirade on the esrb. look at the long angry articles over their not being minorities in a polish farytale. I agree with the basic line of their ideals. I want more diverse characters and stories and games. but they want everything to be a vehicle for their train of thought and ideals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

CrashCat posted:

I've thought about this topic off and on since I took Ralp's offer of Hellthread amnesty and bowed out and I admit I used to tend toward basically the same gut feeling as above. As a lovely old computer nerd, my natural instinct is to say "use the computer better, idiot" in any situation, but that came from an era where even using a computer was a "privilege" in the most traditional sense of the word. At best most people had a lovely computer that wheezed under the strain of connecting to AOL to slowly load a few pages of garbage before they were knocked off the phone by call waiting. Now seemingly everyone has a computer a hundred times more powerful than anything I owned as a kid sitting in their pocket and uses it constantly to poo poo whatever verbal diarrhea comes into their brain out on to the world within a moment's notice, rather than just a handful of guarded, paranoid nerds.

I'm fairly sure that my old attitude of "gently caress 'em, let them be more careful on the internet" is not the smart way to handle this phenomenon, but what should we do about it? I've struggled to come up with even a kernel of a solution that isn't borderline fascist in nature. It's obvious to me that nobody should get harassed to oblivion over anything, let alone a stupid video game. On the other hand, it's also obvious to me that any serious effort to stem the tide is probably going to cause a lot of collateral damage. The general attitude toward that seems to be "so what, I don't agree with those people so who cares if they can talk" which is incredibly dangerous to me.

Yeah, alot of Antis never learned old rule "dont feed the trolls. And they did, hell alot of them make money of victimbux and patrion pity.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Zombiejack posted:

Mostly I just hate moviebob.

Also the moment you realize to can build a viking rape harem in crusader kings 2 and nobody gave a poo poo, social commentary on games becomes a farce.

EDIT-also pretty much all the death threats are fake and give the Trolls what they want.

why is that?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Zombiejack posted:

Everything he says is poo poo and he's loving annoying

Because Batman punching crimminals in the face is no where near as bad as building a rape harem.

Trolls love attention.

I ment the bob part and i agree. Bob Is lonely sad man who wrote long meadering book about how the reveal of one of super Mario games was his generational defining moment. He hates all fps games even games that are just first person and not shooters because its for dudebros and jocks.

https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/329260668542939136
here is josh esrb rant. i goes on for several posts.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Prav posted:

Well it's no doubt that it's McIntosh writing it, but I don't see any particular reason to think that Anita particularly disagrees since she keeps letting him use FF to do so.

Well she seems to be burning alot of bridges of late.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

It probably helps that he has loads of his parents' money, while Anita herself doesn't really seem to be wealthy. Any argument about her stealing kickstarter money is hilariously wrong, and over much much less money than McIntosh puts into the show.

Well in the intro of her college thesis she mentions josh helped her. I think he has been their since the beginning. She just knows how to spins his bullshit into something palatable.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

pc master race is now racist.

also so is the witcher 3 6 weeks late
https://archive.is/HZGez

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

nopantsjack posted:

In Arkham Knight there is a point where you can choose between one of two damsels to rescue, they are 2/3rds of the female characters with models thus far and the third is poison ivy who you defeat and imprison within her intro cutscene.

its a fake choice you can save both, and babs is alive and safe, her shooting herself is an illusion from all the fear toxin/joker aids. and poison ivy saves the city with trees

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

UberJew posted:

the saga of the sarkeesian effect was/is amazing

somebody post cracking_up_at_the_skull.avi

Yeah. I may have issues with anita(alot with josh) but that "documentry" was such stupid poo poo made by two creepy PUA bigots.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

http://www.reaxxion.com/9936/sjws-want-lead-artist-jason-martin-fired-from-new-doom-game
apperently this is happening.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

YAY the helltread has begun.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Are you really not able to see how a man writing the script for a video series about women, is kinda stupid?

pretty much this. have someone like laura K fight sexism in gaming. at least she likes video games, is interesting to listen and doesn't have a victim complex a mile wide.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dreylad posted:

WOW a guy who is loving terrible at feminist criticisms of media i've never seen that in my life before

yeah, He is total nutjob and he has somehow said dumber poo poo. anita too me comes off as a prude and a swerf but she isnt as bad as mchintosh who pretty much burns alot of their credibility with his little twitter shittings. Personally i am just happy that US finaly has gay marrage and i can watch the some GOP nuts cry.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Unfunny Poster posted:

Maybe he's just seeking attention from her while she's on stage giving a presentation he wasn't invited to?

as i said before, He writes all or most of her arguments. She just makes them palatible. Hell she even thanks him for his help in her thesis work. She will never throw him out. I think their should be feminist critics of games, its just they are poo poo at it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Control Volume posted:

I got halfway through writing a serious post about The Gamergate, realized with horror what I was doing, and quickly erased it to replace it with this text. This thread is dangerous, and should be destroyed.

I know that feeling. :spergin:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

LostRook posted:

Isn't that the point of moving it to D&D?

Idk, the hellthread died, so it got moved.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

XMNN posted:

Oh that dude. I think he split up with the guy who did all his youtube videos in a dressing gown, but they might be back together now for the money.

I'm picturing a Lucius the Eternal-type situation here.

Sorry but i am chaos undivided type. i lean toward grandpa nurgle though. such a happy dude.

wow, abbot is just digging his state goverment a grave isnt he.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Popular Thug Drink posted:

you can't trust that guy, he's a white liberal who has sex with black people

as am I

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Helsing posted:

This thread is hilarious.

I like how on other continents twitter was turned into this powerful tool for organizing against oppressive government whereas here in North America it's mostly noteworthy for being the platform for one of the dumbest political controversies ever.

Also a bit thank you to whoever it was upthread that told me to look up Peter Coffin. I can't believe that kicking himself in the nuts was the last pathetic thing about that guy. :lol:

Conservative concern trolling about free speech on campuses mostly seems like a way to try and blame SJWs for the total corporatization of higher education. Many undergraduate education programs have become degree mills that treat their students as a resource to be harvested, with university essentially becoming the new High School for many forms of white collar employment. The students (and often their parents) pick up on this, and they treat university bureaucracy in the same way that they've learned to deal with corporate bureaucracy's: if they encounter something they don't like then they complain incessantly and threaten to sue.

But talking about the ideological capture of high educations by neoliberal shitheads would be an uncomfortable topic for these people so instead we get subjected to these stories about SJWs running rampant. Yeah, SJWs are annoying and they can show up in university classes sometimes, but the only reason they could ever conceivably pose a threat is if academic freedom has been replaced with a corporate mindset that dictates that you should follow the path of least resistance in your pursuit of the allmighty dollar.

Folks trying to shut down any contrary opinion is annoying but in a university setting the solution isn't exactly a complicated one: tenure, unions and good academic freedom policies. Strangely you don't hear many conservatives advocating for any of those things.

Thats the thing, I go to a relatively liberal state school and i have havent seen any sjws nor any young republicans protests. I had a few teachers where pretty far on the left, 2 of them were kinda of awful teachers for varying reasons. But most of my college experience has been non-political. and yeah, coffin is a pathetic gently caress. A lot of the anti like coffin, burch, bob and to an extent wu are only going full sjws to fit in with a perceived click. i mean hell burch destroyed his own marriage so its all he has got now. and coffin might be faking parts if not all his homelife for pity.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 27, 2015

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Snuffman posted:

I like you and the words you say.

This thread is all about mocking both sides, cause both sides are idiots and it's fun. :shrug:

yeah. pretty much. as long as it doesnt turn out like the last time D&D did a video game thread, its cool. plus its been fun talking and laughing with people of differing opinions.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dapper Dan posted:

Another part of the problem was that animosity between gaming journalists and their audience had been building for years. If it wasn't this, it would have been something else for sure.

pretty much.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Prav posted:

Yeah it absolutely wasn't the first shot, more like the final straw.

Actually the final straw was the Gamers Are Dead debacle.

That was the worst mistake they made, They basically decided that they would rather side with a click of rich white hipsters and poo poo all over their core audience, the people who bough games in the first loving place.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Bonesnap posted:

So who is the worst person in all of this? Is it TheRalph? Anthony Burch? Or is it all of humanity, for existing in the first place? My money would be split between Leigh Alexander and Phil Fish

out of those two, fish is the best, he knew when to gently caress off and go into hiding. Leigh alexander kinda just devolved into an rear end in a top hat. ralph is pretty lovely and burch is just a sad waste living in the shadow of his more talented younger sister.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The IronMonkey posted:

The visuals of things like this from the whole GG thing are very troubling. poo poo like this does real damage to leftist causes in general and is what is giving GG fuel. White Males telling minorities that they know best and calling anybody disagreeing with them some variation on white male nerd is (None of that in THIS thread) why we see so much backlash against something that should be imminently reasonable like social justice.

I mean just look at that insufferable shithead.

and thats what pisses me off the most, I am a giant lefty and i view alot of the anti's as everything wrong with the left.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Uncle Wemus posted:

Honestly this would have died out if not for the fact that it has a huge number of living trainwrecks involved, and every couple days they double down on their insanity. Thats got to be GGs biggest strength from anonymity. We only ASSUME proGG people are insane, we KNOW aGG are because they are only too happy to treat the internet like a therapist.

well antis try to use Rules for Radicals rules against GG and it doesnt work, because 1. the anti's have the power and 2 the gg/channers/whoever have very little to lose. If the anti's didnt push the neo puritan bullshit. i wouldnt give two shits about them or GG.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

INH5 posted:

For the record, the third highest thread on r/KotakuInAction right now is a Gay Marriage Legalization Celebration thread.

Just because people say they are evil social conservatives, doesnt mean they are. I am socially left as gently caress.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

Again, these people expect to win a war of attrition with channers. How low can they go?

pretty loving low apparently.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sandweed posted:

Adam Baldwin is crying right now.

good. he is a dick.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

KoldPT posted:

socially liberal fiscally conservative

it is now

lol, I am voting for Bernie sanders. seriously. I just dont like neo puritans.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

KoldPT posted:

Have a nice night everyone

I hate the flag, it stands for traitors and slavery and it should never be waved on goverment property. but then i read stuff like this http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...l_it_doesn.html
museums are where people learn about the past and learn from past mistakes, if we erase the past and pretend nothing is wrong then you are just as bad as the neo confederates who use that flag as their cumrag. and then apple trying to get rid of anything civil war on their store is just overkill.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Al Cowens posted:

Green and purple colors are now banned at a few conventions.
Some gaming sites now fully disclose relationships.
Prominent developers and pioneers are directly, furiously telling the antis to gently caress right off after they bit a little more than they could chew

Good. i am glad some sites are starting to be less shifty. and it doest surprise me that devs are starting to get mad at the neo puritans

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

how?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Exclamation Marx posted:

How come the gamer gate is mad about ethnic minority representation in games as well?

because people got mad that polish fairytale game made by poles didnt have black people in it. http://boingboing.net/2015/06/26/race-video-games-witcher-3.html

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Al Cowens posted:

Almost all of them are about SJWs, even if they do not always use that word.

And why is that? Because SJWs are the root of The Problem.

SJWs cannot read text, let alone subtext. Merely portraying or mentioning a thing is tantamount to endorsement.

this. Look at half of josh tweets. https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/614615184007667713
people like him feel like media must be "their views" because portrayal/referencing anything = endorsement and indoctrination. I rember them getting pissed at watchdogs(lovely game i know) because you didnt call medical loving serveses when did vigilante poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Popular Thug Drink posted:

like being a gamergater isn't itself indicative of racist ideals, but there's a tremendous amount of overlap that most casuals aren't going to sort out

like on the very highest outsider level i think any normal person who is in no way clued in to internet stuff who even knows that gamergate is a thing thinks of it as online harassment of women by a group of immature racists

so you're saying the SJWs control the media?

no. I am not some /pol/ tard who drinks the right wing kool aid and believes the jews and leftists control everything or some poo poo. I just dont like oversensitive neo puritans shiting on things i like because they are too lovely to fight for actual things like the fact that pro choice rights are slowly being eroded or that cops can get away with shooting black kids in the back.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 27, 2015

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Fabricated posted:

dude is way past his prime and kinda just shits out half completed games after setting record after record on kickstarter

didnt he waste like 3 million dollars or some poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=81&v=n1tFbZ5kaY8

this is pretty much how i see anti's

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Cardboard Box A posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuNIwYsz7PI

(if you were ever curious about /pol/ leaking)

The funny thing is that he barely mentions the "literally who" targets of gamergate and the largest chunk of it is about revenge porn and the lack of legal recourse for it. Not that revenge pornographers haven't tried to insinuate themselves into gamergate before...

and thats the poo poo that makes me not like GG. stupid shits doing poo poo like that. It was good segment, yeah i think wu is probaly full of poo poo, but its mostly about how revenge porn is hosed up and bad which most people agree with.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dapper Dan posted:

You have to be a huge rear end in a top hat to poo poo on Jon Oliver, who is pretty much doing the best to tackle issues no one else wants to talk about and make them funny and interesting.

yeah. I like oliver alot so i am biased as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

hmm. thats interesting.

• Locked thread