Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
Let's be fair, Anti-GG has more than its share of hilarious own goals.

https://twitter.com/alexlifschitz/status/576869419462238209

He's Jewish and didn't realize what that metaphor makes him sound like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

Fried Chicken posted:

Have the cops seriously not started arresting these shits yet? Death threats and attempted murder are pretty clearly against the law

Could you tell us more about this attempted murder? I haven't heard anything about it yet.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

Archer666 posted:

I understand completely, however with the sheer metric fuckload of trolling and dumb comments being made, it's impossible to separate any real threats from the garbage. There isn't a feasible way to monitor all that, so it'll get ignored.

Besides, the internet is about as separate from real life as you make it. You want to be safe? Don't put anything that could lead back to you on social media.

Also, trying to get rid of something on the internet is a fool's errand. You'll just create more attention. This didn't work when Scientology took down that internal video on YouTube and ended up inspiring Anonymous, it didn't work when Glenn Beck tried to take down that "Glenn Beck Raped and Murdered a Young Girl in 1990" site, it didn't work when Barbra Streisand tried to take down a photo of her house, and it didn't work when Bill Cosby tried to get a flash cartoon about him called "House of Cosbys" taken down.

Even if something is legitimately malicious like the Zoepost, the best solution is just to ignore the trolls as best as one can. As George Bernard Shaw put it, "You never wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and the pig likes it."

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

I said come in! posted:

Not really, no. Twitter along with the help of a 3rd party feminist group, like two months ago, conducted research on harassment on Twitter, and they found that even last year hardly any of the harassment was coming from Gamergate.

And one woman made a blocklist to block harassers, but less than 1% of the accounts on it were involved with harassment.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
I don't hate Anita, but I've always been ticked off that she's never even mentioned Metroid: Other M, which is one of the most sexist things I've ever experienced.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

hwordhan posted:

No point in mentioning Other M because most people would agree. You need the sweet, sweet controversy to make people pay attention.

I disagree, the Star Wars prequels were mostly hated but Red Letter Media managed to get popular by doing a really good job of explaining why they were bad.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

Dapper Dan posted:

Yeah, 'Other M' is insanely misogynistic. If you want to point out misogyny in videogames, that's a textbook example.

Doing a web series on misogyny in video games and ignoring Other M is like doing a series on racism in film and ignoring Birth of a Nation, if Birth of a Nation had come out only a decade ago and ruined one of cinema's most iconic characters.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

Helsing posted:

Well, after perusing this thread and googling a few of the names and terms used I've concluded that this is the stupidest thing ever. Jesus loving Christ twitter is terrible.

David Auerbach wrote a great article on how Twitter ruins everything:

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2014/10/twitter_is_broken_gamergate_proves_it.html

He's one of the only authors who I feel has covered Gamergate well. I'm not sure whether he considers himself neutral or moderately anti-GG (he's definitely not a supporter) but most of the antis that I know despise him.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

unlimited shrimp posted:

I started following it later, but Hellthread never seemed especially pro- or anti-GG. It seemed more like everyone was just enjoying watching the slow motion train wreck.

I felt that the general consensus was that both sides are terrible, but the antis were funnier because they were hypocrites while the pros were terrible and more honest about it.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

The Quinn situation was entirely the Streisand Effect. IIRC some idiots on reddit were discussing it and suddenly some 10,000 comments were mass deleted, supposedly because Quinn had a guy on the inside. I think it happened on other forums too? Iunno but it was a dumb thing to do.

Kinda like Warner Bros. ceasing production of the Dukes' General Lee merchandise because of a certain flag :mad:

Yeah, it would've been a terrible experience for her even if she'd been smart enough to wait it out, but trying to shut up people who were talking about it made it an order of magnitude worse. You'd think that someone as internet-savvy as her would've been familiar with the Streisand effect.

Also, there's this:

"I miss helldump a little" is from a month after the Zoepost. I'd forgive her for lurking in Helldump if she admitted that it was wrong and she now knows better.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

Terrible Opinions posted:

Hey if you count Brienne Wu as anti you need to still count Saggon and the Kain cosplayer guy as GG. Luigi jumps off the stage on his own plenty of times. It's more like two children closing their eyes and punching at eachother but coming nowhere close to hitting. Then they both end up hurting their arms.

Yeah, I'd have to agree that both sides have more own goals than regular goals.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

paranoid randroid posted:

hey can one of you obsessive freakshows at least fill me in if that milo guy is still around trying to radicalize resentful shut-ins

Yeah, he's still going strong.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

Shadoer posted:

Similar thing in art happened with China.

You basically had a bunch of artists attempting to depict what China was like with never having seen it and only going off the stories travelers whom claimed to have visited it told.

They came up with some pretty funky stuff.

I especially like how they drew animals they never saw.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
This is the only real debate between GG and anti-GG that I'm aware of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOxDtBv9wHs

I like Pakman but he really did a bad job moderating them.

The Society of Professional Journalists is hosting a debate in August. The panelists for GG:

quote:

Milo Yiannopoulos
Brad Wardell
Cathy Young
Christina Hoff Sommers
Oliver Campbell
Mark Ceb
William Usher
Jennifer Dawe

No one from anti-GG has committed yet, although they're allowing anyone who wants to show up to remain anonymous until the debate.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
Yeah, Wu is legitimately mentally ill.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

SedanChair posted:

Wow, she must be hysterical, she can't even tell the made-up death threats from the real and terrifying ones

That person was joking about gassing Gamergaters, not gassing Anti-GG people.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

I said come in! posted:

It's just that Brianna Wu has a history of faking death threats. The one time she claimed to have fleed her home, it was proven that she didn't actually leave. Not only that but she gave news interviews at her home at the same time she was suppose to have been gone.

Also, this:

The original tweet: https://twitter.com/spacekatgal/status/539909404804796416

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

Bedlamdan posted:

Aren't they super late as gently caress for their videos compared to the release date they were supposed to have?

It's not a super bad thing, KS's get late, but it is a thing that people might get mad about.

Yeah, that's really more of an issue with Kickstarters in general than with Anita.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

unlimited shrimp posted:

Effectronica seriouspost why are you so intent on dismissing accusations of a callout/outrage culture in certain Leftist circles and particularly in regards to how they conduct themselves on social media?

You could probably make a drat good case that the Zoepost was inspired by that kind of callout culture.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

paranoid randroid posted:

oh my god, gamergate meets might be the most pathetic thing i can think of

Milo actually bragged about getting laid at one.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

Sinnlos posted:

The first link seems like no big deal, mentioned along with 50 other games, and one of three games that got a whole sentence fragment devoted to it. The header image is from depression quest looks like. Easy enough to ping your friend who just got her game greenlit and ask for an image from it to use as a header.

The second article he interviewed multiple people. Again it seems like a non-issue.

It really was a non-issue, it's just that the fact that Zoe managed to get thousands of comments on reddit deleted made it look like she was massively influential, and that just played into Eron's hands. Trying to silence people on the internet just doesn't work.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

Popular Thug Drink posted:

it's funny how people conflate "don't talk about this thing here because you're all idiots" is interpreted as "don't talk about this thing"

i dunno, free speech purists are just as weird to me as free market purists. the thing only exist in reference to the rules which define it

Yeah, but one of the sites where this got censored was reddit, which dragged its feet forever over deleting a subreddit called "jailbait" where people posted creepy pictures of underage girls. It looked kind of suspicious for reddit to be so active at deleting comments about Zoe when they had been so bad about deleting the jailbait stuff.

Here's a post where 20,000 comments were removed:

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/2dz0gs/totalbiscuit_discusses_the_state_of_games/

It's a textbook case of the Streisand effect.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

aside from zoe quinn's home address, what was being censored?

Do you think that every deleted comment here contained her personal information?

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/2dz0gs/totalbiscuit_discusses_the_state_of_games/

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

what am i looking at here, a bunch of redacted posts?

Yes, the reddit mods deleted thousands of comments in the thread, many of which were not harassing in the least.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
Here's something I don't understand- why didn't all of the harassment that Chris-Chan got ever receive national attention?

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

Any chat originating from 4chan should be held to the same scrutiny as pictures of bigfoot, but Gamergate has rendered scores of people unemployable at this point.

Yeah, this goes for both sides. Zoe was talking on her blog about how being anti-GG made her current boyfriend unemployable, but I think that's more due to him tweeting stuff like this:

https://twitter.com/alexlifschitz/status/576869419462238209

He's Jewish and somehow doesn't realize what that metaphor makes him sound like.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

Radbot posted:

Why the gently caress do you all care about this, at all

I'm only paying attention for the horrible people on both sides. I think it's the same reason that people watch those Real Housewives shows.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
There aren't too many people that I would trust with making a documentary about Gamergate. I wish someone would make a good one that doesn't favor either side too much but I don't think that's going to happen.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

SedanChair posted:

Yeah, it's important to present a balanced perspective. "These people send death threats on the Internet and are sickos. On the other hand…"

Anti-GG has plenty of warts, such as Brianna Wu faking harassment, Zoe being unapologetic for her time lurking in Helldump, the role of the Streisand effect in making the whole thing worse, the blockbot where less than 1% of the blocked accounts were involved in harassment, and so on.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

Unfunny Poster posted:

I'm also not sure what Zoe lurking in Helldump has to do with her ex-boyfriend and people mad she hooked up with one or two journalists does to discredit a-GG.

It shows a chronic lack of self-awareness that she enjoyed a forum where people got publicly shamed and hasn't apologized for it.

Note that the "I miss Helldump a little" tweet is a month after the Zoepost. She could say that she's now learned that shaming people over the internet is wrong, but she hasn't.

Likewise, attempting to get discussions about her removed from the Internet was a gigantic tactical error on her part- that's what I'm talking about when I referred to the Streisand Effect. Silencing people on the internet backfired horribly when Streisand tried it, it backfired horribly when Glenn Beck tried it, and it backfired horribly when Scientology tried it. All that Zoe's heavy-handed response accomplished was giving Eron more attention and get more people to talk about her. The best way to respond to Internet trolls is to give them as little attention as possible.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

there is absolutely nothing unreasonable about trying to get your personal information deleted from a discussion where people actively hate you and threaten you, and she's not hypocritical for enjoying helldumping. you really dislike this person for reasons that are not clear

It's unreasonable because it doesn't work. She got thrown into a horrible situation and made it much, much worse.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
David Auerbach is great and pretty much everything he's written about GG is required reading. I especially like his "How to End Gamergate" article that ran last October:

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/bitwise/2014/10/how_to_end_gamergate_a_divide_and_conquer_plan.html

Although I think that a lot of the moderates in GG have left since he wrote this article.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
Randi Harper has been responsible for loads of harassment and I haven't seen anyone on her side call her out on it.

http://s2b20blog.mukyou.com/the-hidden-face-of-hypocrisy-randi-harper-part-3/

quote:

Q: After being displayed on Randi Harper’s twitter did you receive any difference in negative attention or more specific threats?

Csefalvay: I actually started receiving unpleasant emails around the time I put out my first analysis which was earlier than my first interaction with Harper. They weren’t exactly great but they were in the realm of the bearable; the classic you should die or go set yourself on fire etc. , which happens to be a favorite phrase of Ms. Harper’s. Now, obviously once she got involved, that’s when it got particularly vile. That is when it got into the realm of very graphic and very shockingly violent threats. Now I must add at this point that I’ve seen my fair share of death threats before. When you grow up in eastern Europe and grow up in a very political household you end up getting bullets through the mail and if you’re doing well enough could get shot at. So you get used to these things, I don’t consider most of these things I’ve received as actual death threats.

Q: So you’re saying you’ve dealt with death threats in your home life, but the ones you received during this ordeal were different?

Csefalvay: What we need to be clear about here is credible death threats in my views means to a method of opportunity. A lot of these people might have the motive; very few would have probably had the means to actually get to me. Even if they had the actual opportunity to actually be able to pull it off so when some random persons tweets or emails me from the safety of his or her mother’s basement, or where ever these people live, that they are going to decapitate me and all that I am not overly perturbed. I’d say the worst that I’ve seen in and around Gamergate, and I’ve noticed this from both sides actually, is interpreting everything as a threat and almost relishing in the role of a victim. Almost being proud that someone found you worthy of threatening; that goes to a point of absurdity.

I’ve seen real death threats from people who mean it in the past. None of this, I believe, were real to that extent; however, you can’t discount them. That is one of the curses of loving another person. One of the worst things about loving another person very very deeply is that you’re no longer free to do the crazy things that you would otherwise heartily pull off on your own. While I would not have been very concerned about my own safety ,and probably would haven’t of given a crap about any of this if it had been just me, the fact that some of them began to include my wife made me very worried.

She even yelled at an anti-GG woman whom she thought was too moderate and ran her out of the movement:

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Yeah. There're a lot of assholes on both sides, which is one of the reasons why I stay out of it. At the extreme end of both, it just feels like another case of identity politics.

That's pretty much why I follow this in the first place. It's like following the Republican primary, where everyone is horrible.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

Rebochan posted:

gently caress, I'm going to hate touching this poop again but...

Hi. I'm a game dev, and a GGer stalked me, found out my BOSS's personal information, called him in the middle of the night and screamed at him to fire me at once for being insulting to Gamergate as a movement. And then bragged about doing it in public as a way to intimidate me and anyone like me. Thank god I found out my boss is one of the few decent people in this industry that stands by his staff, because I was dead certain I was going to be fired for allowing it to happen at all. We're so loving expendable in this industry I wouldn't have been surprised.

But please, I want to hear more about how it's AGG that's "full of harassment". Because my personal experience is in the realm of "never". And unfortunately for my sympathies for GG, I professionally and personally know a significant number of victims of GG harassment and zero who've been personally stalked or harassed, IN REAL LIFE, by someone who doesn't find them "inclusive" enough.

I posted this a while back, but Randi Harper has been responsible for a lot of harassment and I've never seen anyone on her side call her out for it.

http://s2b20blog.mukyou.com/the-hidden-face-of-hypocrisy-randi-harper-part-3/

quote:

Q: After being displayed on Randi Harper’s twitter did you receive any difference in negative attention or more specific threats?

Csefalvay: I actually started receiving unpleasant emails around the time I put out my first analysis which was earlier than my first interaction with Harper. They weren’t exactly great but they were in the realm of the bearable; the classic you should die or go set yourself on fire etc. , which happens to be a favorite phrase of Ms. Harper’s. Now, obviously once she got involved, that’s when it got particularly vile. That is when it got into the realm of very graphic and very shockingly violent threats. Now I must add at this point that I’ve seen my fair share of death threats before. When you grow up in eastern Europe and grow up in a very political household you end up getting bullets through the mail and if you’re doing well enough could get shot at. So you get used to these things, I don’t consider most of these things I’ve received as actual death threats.

Q: So you’re saying you’ve dealt with death threats in your home life, but the ones you received during this ordeal were different?

Csefalvay: What we need to be clear about here is credible death threats in my views means to a method of opportunity. A lot of these people might have the motive; very few would have probably had the means to actually get to me. Even if they had the actual opportunity to actually be able to pull it off so when some random persons tweets or emails me from the safety of his or her mother’s basement, or where ever these people live, that they are going to decapitate me and all that I am not overly perturbed. I’d say the worst that I’ve seen in and around Gamergate, and I’ve noticed this from both sides actually, is interpreting everything as a threat and almost relishing in the role of a victim. Almost being proud that someone found you worthy of threatening; that goes to a point of absurdity.

I’ve seen real death threats from people who mean it in the past. None of this, I believe, were real to that extent; however, you can’t discount them. That is one of the curses of loving another person. One of the worst things about loving another person very very deeply is that you’re no longer free to do the crazy things that you would otherwise heartily pull off on your own. While I would not have been very concerned about my own safety ,and probably would haven’t of given a crap about any of this if it had been just me, the fact that some of them began to include my wife made me very worried.

She even yelled at an anti-GG woman whom she thought was too moderate and ran her out of the movement:

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
AirPlay has confirmed that no one from anti-GG will be showing up:

http://spjairplay.com/lets-do-it/

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

Tokamak posted:

And for some reason the post is written by a breitbart writer, who also added himself to the panellists. So we now have two breitbart writers and two 'equity feminists'. With such a cleverly disguised kangaroo court, I'm shocked that no one has decided to show up to and argue against gamergate.

Half of success is showing up. (And for the record, Ceb and Campbell are the only two on that list that I don't have gigantic issues with)

EDIT: And wait, how is this a kangaroo court? Those are the pro-GG panelists, not the moderators.

Hadaka Apron fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 6, 2015

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

Literally The Worst posted:

"Hi I'm a guy from Breitbart, the news network founded by a dude who faked a whole bunch of poo poo, and I'm here to talk about ethics" is the funniest goddamn thing to me

Seems like an easy opponent to me.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

Who said this was a victory? It's like refusing to meet a bully behind the gym after school. He can strut all he wants, you don't have to respect his wishes at all if it's a waste of time.

But the pro-GG people aren't moderating Airplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

Tezzor posted:

I urge everyone to actually read the Leigh Alexander article in its entirety because it cuts to the bone of "gamers" so deep and so clean they're still weeping about it a year later

It also cut Gamasutra's advertising revenue to the bone.

• Locked thread