Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Neo Rasa posted:

They also fixed up the CG a little bit (that they already did just for the Quadrilogy release) for the scene where the alien is born and runs off.

No more good boy Alien?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Spatulater bro! posted:

Hahaha. Knowing those are dogs, I couldn't stop laughing through this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVT31kxL7yw

Rehearsals were so tough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGE39IsemFw

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Biomute posted:

I would say the best Alien game in recent years is Duskers. It has the right mood, setting, gameplay and even the visuals and input method is evocative of truckers in space.

Motion sensors activated
Sensor Triggered: R2

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I pumped many 50p pieces into Alien 3: The Gun at my local arcade.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I managed to get a blister on my thumb knuckle where the gun vibrated against it so much.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Solution: movie theatres with catheters. Cineatheters.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Right.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Well, it's only 18 years from Covenant to Alien, maybe David will pick up the 'This is Ripley, last survivor of the Nostromo' radio message next time.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Al 'Apone' Matthews has died. :(

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

banned from Starbucks posted:

Just got David's drawing book. This thing owns it's like the Voynich Manuscript: Alien Edition.

Oh, I had a look through that the other day in a bookstore. Horrifyingly weird.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jonesy is getting his own book! :kimchi::kimchi::kimchi:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

You couldn’t have xenos all the time either, otherwise it would weaken them as an enemy. 1st season you should only have one used sparingly, to drive home their danger.

For a series, I’d have something like the fall of Hadley’s Hope, stretched out long term.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

el oso posted:

On this latest rewatch it feels a lot like a very extended episode of Doctor Who with the Alien mythos attached to it, in the best way possible.

I mean, you could argue you’ve got an amnesiac 8th Doctor in it. Amnesia is his recurring curse, after all.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

SUNKOS posted:

According to one of the people involved in the cancelled sequel to Covenant, Ridley was going to make the next film about Engineers chasing David for revenge after returning to their home planet and seeing what he'd done and the movie would end with the ship full of eggs crashing on LV421 and connecting the film to Alien directly. There's a high likelihood that it would have been just as bad if not worse than Covenant.

It’s definitely cancelled then?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’ve started playing Alien: Isolation again. Jeez, even playing with someone else in the room, it’s still incredibly tense.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I just hit Medical, and I’m calling it a night. :ohdear:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I noticed last night how good the sound design is in the game. All solid sounding ‘tschunk’s and appropriate retro beeps and boops. The echoing sounds of the Alien moving around you in the vents, even the little waterphone music cues to let you know something is up.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

What are some hot tips for Alien Isolation if I've never played it?

Walking is good, running is not (it's loud).

Hide in lockers whenever appropriate. Put the game down whenever you need to. It's very tense, and you will need the release.

Edit: cat tax

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jan 18, 2019

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Playing on easy is perfectly valid.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I found out last night that it's peripheral vision isn't great when I exited a locker in medical, just as it happened to walk into the same room (the one with the medical staff's names on the board). So it was one side of the central console and I was on the other, and it failed to spot me. I noped pretty hard and went back into the locker for a few moments to breathe.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Good lord, I’ve been killed twice in that little section between the stages of medical (after the doctor is killed). Because there’s only one vent in and out, once Alan is there, he’s around for a while, and there’s very limited hiding space.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I didn't know phones could do like PS2 level graphics. Why not just make a real game instead?

You can play GTA3, Vice City, and San Andreas on the iPhone.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

The Alien is basically just a space cat (primal, cunning, amoral force of chaos), and it recognized that it had infringed on Jones’ territory.

That's how me and my other half see the xeno in Isolation. In and out of the vents like he can't decide where he wants to be.

Also, we call him Alan.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

Alien Isolation mod where you squirt the alien with a water bottle, and yell “No!” to keep it away from you.

<hisses, scampers away from you>

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I'd love to see that, but London to LA is a bit far.

That said, do we know for sure if we're definitely getting Alien in 4K this year?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Yes, including some kind of limited theatrical re-release.

Helllll yes!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Tom Conti as Ash would have been a hilarious disaster.

Least of all because he’s an absolute arsehole.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I swear there was a cancelled Alien RTS...?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ah, apparently there was one back in the PS2 era, AvP: Extinction. However, the player wouldn’t build anything, it was all unit management and combat.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’m fed up of this Jonesy erasure. :colbert:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Prometheus 4k digital code(FoxRedeem.com)

4FKE8NW5LV7EK4Q1

It says "may not be valid after 2019, so I assume that means it's still good, but I'm not sure.

Tried to claim, but it’s US store only :(

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Apparently someone is going to film one of the performances, so that’s something to look forward to.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

AFewBricksShy posted:

I bought Alien: Cold Forge and finished it. It was a bit cliche but I liked it. As I doubt I'll re-read it, I'm sending it to whoever posts in this thread that they want it.

Oh hello, yes please.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

AFewBricksShy posted:

I got your info, it will be in the mail tomorrow. I’m also including a random card I had as a novelty book mark so enjoy that and when you’re done pass the book on to another goon.

Will do! :salute:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

I’m not one to dissuade people from marathoning Alien movies, but remember that Alien Day is on April 26th.

I know that’s the same day Avengers Endgame comes out, but we must all remember our priorities. :colbert:

All other priorities rescinded.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Not to my knowledge, but it was getting a limited theatrical release in the UK at.... some point? I posted about it upthread but I can’t remember how many pages back, I’ll go digging.

Edit - most recent info I can find says the showings were in the UK in March.

Yeah, they were, and I just missed them. :'(

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Goon post! Thanks AFewBricksShy !

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Are... are those googly eyes on the cover? That's amazing.

It’s canon, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Several years ago, the Harry Potter films were released in "Ultimate Collectors Editions" with a ton of bonus feature. Each one was released on DVD and Blu-Ray, until the final two (Deathly Hollows 1 & 2). Then they just packaged it as a one BR/DVD set. The movies were included in both formats, but the docs were only on the set in the Blu-Ray format.

The docs were pretty much the selling point for these sets, so giving a big ol finger to DVD owners at the end really sucked.

Do they come with commentaries yet? I’d love to see some of those on the Harry Potter films.