Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Abandoned Toaster posted:

Either he painted it or, looking at the blocks he used, he put up a pattern of Grey Brick, Red Brick, and Mudstone Brick walls. I don't see a painter in the picture but it could be a combination.

Those torches look like 1.1 torches, meaning that those walls are a mix of grey brick, mudstone and iridescent brick. The lack of any sloped blocks in the image are a giveaway that it's pre-1.2, that design would look a lot better with slopes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Can I hallow my dyebridge to hope for a unicorn, is does it need to be bare dirt?

It doesn't need to be dirt, but it helps. The reason it used to be bare dirt was so that marigolds and poo poo wouldn't grow on it and make large swaths useless. Can't you just fight unicorns in the naturally occurring biome though?

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I wouldn't say it's completely useless. If you want a lot of building materials for a huge rear end base you can use the thing to gather them. I imagine the thing would be really good for getting lots of chlorophyte. You could also likely use it to rapidly deconstruct a base you want to move.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

You need to get a special fishing rod from the hardmode angler. It's weaker than the gold rod, but it lets you fish in lava

E: I should read better.

Akett fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 11, 2015

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I now regret all the tattered cloth I've thrown out over the years. I've only seen one goblin scout since the update and I didn't even have the presence of mind to check if it showed up as rare on the lifeform analyzer. Still need one more cloth to make the standard.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

oddium posted:

here's a Neat Trick i found: equip bat wings in one slot and a cape in the corresponding vanity slot, then hide toggle the wings. now your cape will turn into bat wings when you fly and your meta knight roleplay is one step closer to authenticity

That trick also works well with the crimson cloak and fishron wings if you use red and black dye for both. I also wear a mythril hood with red and white dye to get some extra ~*~mystery~*~ to the outfit.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

If I were you I would kill the destroyer one or two more times and make hallowed armor, though that's worse than frost armor unless you are using the hallowed mask. If you don't want to kill him again you could just make a hallowed repeater, or just save the bars and use the souls to make a megashark.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

The wiki says it affects critters, so yeah a battle potion should help. Wiki also says that the potions stack with water candles which also increase critter spawns, but I think that could easily get overwhelming.

Akett fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 12, 2015

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

What's the best material to make platforms out of with minimal effort involved in acquiring it? I need to make a monster spawn farm in the caverns because holy gently caress I can not get more nymphs to show up after 3 laughed in my face as I murdered them for no drop.

If you can survive in an expert world you can get a metal detector from a nymph at 100% drop rate. Even if that figure is wrong and the rate isn't 100% expert mode worlds still double the drop rate, making them better for trying to get poo poo in.

Akett fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 12, 2015

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

It's a chimney, they're new. You make them with grey brick, and you can also make fireplaces but those require torches.

Akett fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 12, 2015

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Pigron are slower than flying. And they don't get the flight time and speed buffs that wings get from frostspark boots and frog legs.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Blind Duke posted:

pretty sure they didn't have platinum yet

The wiki says otherwise.

Gimbal lock posted:

Maybe so but the difference usually doesn't seem worth the slot. Not until the hoverboard anyway. That's just me, though.

Fair enough, I haven't really done anything with mounts because I'm fairly sure I had better wings than the hoverboard before I got a pigron mount.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Read posted:

Deactivated-actuatored blocks maybe? It might just not let you deactivate them, or drop the banners...

The banners just fall off when you deactivate the block.

E: Just bought some bubbles and some smoke, neither one will allow you to hang banners off of them.

Akett fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 13, 2015

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

LLCoolJD posted:

I beat Moon Lord on my first try. Still waiting to beat Duke Fishron. Thing keeps charging me to death :emo:

Make some armor from the luminite bars (whichever one of the sets you wish, though I would go with the solar for the huge armor) and give yourself all the drat potion buffs you can. One of the best possible ones to get is endurance potion which is a flat 10% damage reduction, from armored cave fish and I think blinkroot.

Akett fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 13, 2015

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

So after reading about martian probes not spawning in worlds with cultists I realized I had a hardmode world where the cultists couldn't spawn at all (I'd mostly removed the dungeon entrance before 1.1) which meant the world was ideal for getting invaded.

Holy poo poo was I not prepared for that.

I died three times and lost over a third of my NPCs. The only reason I was able to kill any flying saucers for loot was because of the layout that I built my houses in which allowed me to stay in the nurse's home keeping us both alive while hitting the saucers with my solar eruption and letting my stardust dragon fly around doing his thing. At least I got some good poo poo out of that.

Crimson Harvest posted:

How do you make a pile of coins as a placeable block/furniture thing?

Just place them from your inventory or hotbar like any other furniture item.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

RatHat posted:

Can you fight Fishron in a drained ocean?

Not really, you need to fish him out of the ocean to fight him to begin with.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

RatHat posted:

Does the buff limit include passive buffs like your pets, campfires, lanterns, banners ect.? Or is it just potions buffs that get counted?

Basically what I'm asking is should I ever be worried about going over the buff limit and wasting my potions?

There's no information on the wiki about whether or not vanity pets count toward the buff limit, so it might be smart to turn those off if you're worried about the limit.

Though I've gone nuts with buffs and have never hit the limit. As long as you make sure the potions you drink are helping you in battle you should be fine.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

By the time you hit hardmode, there really shouldn't be any danger from bloodmoons anymore though.

Wrong, there's clowns, and the hardmode enemies that normally spawn at night are also pretty dangerous in large numbers, especially if you are completely new to hardmode and are still wearing pre-hardmode armor.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I just tried fighting the moon lord for the first time and he flat out annihilated me. Like I had the buffs I usually use for my fishron kills but moon lord just stomped my face in like it was made of paper.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

It's not like you can't make a new world and murder skeletron for an easier time getting nazars. Hell, once you have some good hardmode gear you can make an expert world and enjoy the benefits of a doubled drop rate.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Butyraceous posted:

Suddenly after this patch light bugs are spawning in mass quantities around my house. I had like 15 in my inventory and just by going back and forth from the sides of my house I ended up with 120 of them in like one minute.

That's been like that, they show up in large numbers on nights of the full moon.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Too bad that they're pointless when you can just get master or journeyman bait out of crates faster than you can use it up.

They can be put into bottles and used as a light source, which looks loving rad because it's like you trapped a soul just for a light source because you're an rear end in a top hat wizard.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Each of the first four tiers of hardmode ore (lowest tier is cobalt/palladium, next is mythril/orichalcum, after that is adamantium/titanium, and there's hallow above that) has three kinds of headgear, one for melee, one for ranged and one for magic. I think you need a mythril/orichalcum anvil to work with hallowed bars anyway, so you should focus on getting those first few tiers even if you manage to kill one of the mech bosses. If you feel searching for things is too hard you can fish for crates to speed up your collection.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

So I beat the moon lord. My second try involved me making a crude rear end U shaped shield thing out of dirt to block some of the attacks from the hands and a smaller shield inside the big one to protect me from the middle eye laser. It was based roughly on something somebody else in the thread made, but I can't remember who. It went well until the second phase where I dropped into my hellevator to gain distance to drink a potion to heal, but the health wasn't enough to save me, though I had gotten him down to 10%ish health before I died.

My third try I made some of those potions that healed for 200 health, put a bewitching table, a sharpening station a campfire and a heart lantern in the shield, and to the buff potions I usually use I added a summoning potion so I could get my stardust dragon to three segments. Once again I took it to my hellevator in phase two, but this time I managed to keep alive long enough to kill him. It helped that I could use my cell phone to teleport right to the top of my hellevator, giving me a second or two to regain my bearings before dropping back down.

Akett fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jul 14, 2015

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

What the hell I found a truffle worm underground but when I tried to catch it burrowed through the mud and fell into the lava underneath :psyduck:

Yeah, truffle worms are assholes and if you get close to them they will burrow away from you way faster than you expect, and if they start burrowing than you can't catch them.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

RatHat posted:

So I've beaten Golem, at what point should I do pillars? Should I do Frost Moon and Martian invasion first?

There's no real need to do either. I manged to kill a few pillars using beetle armor, vampire knives and the terra blade while wearing fishron wings, though you can use lesser wings if you can't beat Fishron. Just get all the buff potions you feel will help and make sure to use them intelligently. Personally I didn't need to use them for the ancient cultist, but the pillars themselves can get pretty tough even with buffs. The real trick though is that you want to pick one of the pillars to keep alive while you make weapons out of the fragments from the other three pillars. I recommend making the solar eruption from the solar fragments because the thing is powerful enough that I recall killing skeletron in two swings, the stardust dragon from the stardust fragments because it's just a help no matter what you're doing and is drat cool, and I don't have any meaningful input to give you on the vortex or nebula weapons because I don't use much of either. It should be noted that I have endgame gear and I still need to buff up at the nebula pillar, so keep that in mind.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

RatHat posted:

EDIT:

My arena look okay? I've got a switch to deactivate the blocks over the lava pits for when the invasion is going. Sadly those are the only heart and star statues I have, I'm gonna have to find some more. Also to the top left off screen is my Nurse's house in case I need healing.

If that's for the martian invasion, first off I hope you can get there quickly from your spawn point because the invasion proper won't start until you go back to it, second off you should add some rows of bricks for standing under because the flying saucer will fire a damaging fuckoff beam beneath it once you destroy its weapons. If the arena's for the lunar event, I'm afraid that it will only help out with maybe one of the pillars if you get lucky and it's in the right place, because the pillars spawn in four different areas of your map and they don't move.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Leper Residue posted:

Man I beat the lunatic cultist and now I'm getting my poo poo pushed in everywhere I go. So I made an expert world for that character and rushed through the mechanical bosses and am fighting my way through the jungle. By fighting, I mean dying over and over again.

I have no idea what to do either, I'm in turtle armor, have Terra blade, eye of chtulu and vampire knives, and your usual accessories. Should I go through a frostmoon or martian event for better gear?

Since you have killed the mechanical bosses you should be searching the jungle for a large pink glowing flower. If you hit that flower with a pick you will wake up Plantera, a pretty hard boss (I don't know if just sitting there hitting it with vampire knives works on expert, or if it works in turtle armor even on normal). If you win, you will get a key to the lizahrd temple, which will have solar cells in chests, you can use one in an altar at the end of the temple to summon the Golem. The golem drops beetle shell when it dies, and you can use that to make better melee armor than turtle armor.

Once you have beetle armor you pretty much have the stuff I used to kill the four pillars. Try to take out the solar pillar (the orange one) first but remember not to fly while you're doing that or you'll get rekt. Make yourself a solar eruption from the solar fragments and you will have a weapon better than a lot of the stuff from the frost moon or martian event. Next go for the stardust pillar (the blue one) and make a stardust dragon from the fragments, it'll be your best friend. Take on the last two pillars in whichever order you want, the nebula pillar is pretty deadly so you will want as many useful potion buffs as you can manage to beat it.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Zodack posted:

Pretty sure if he just beat Lunatic Cultist he knows about Plantera considering Lunatic Cultist is a post-Golem boss.

:doh: It was 5 AM when I wrote that, I should have been sleeping. Either way, beetle armor is better than turtle armor, which should be the real takeaway from that paragraph.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

You can only dye the stand from the stardust set, not any other minions. You can dye your vanity pets though.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

You can also tell by the progress bar being purple or red.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Goddamnit, why can't the cross necklace be folded into the ankh shield, or the frog legs folded into the frostspark boots? Or have the loving sixth accessory slot function on non expert worlds? There are so many useful accessories that would make my life easier if only half my slots weren't occluded by bullshit.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

Anyone else notice the ducks occasionally quacking like a human? I think they snuck that in this patch.

They've always done that. It's just kind of rare.

S.T.C.A. posted:

I'm not going to say there's more than one good throwing weapon, or that it's not a huge pain in the rear end to get, and obviously I geared very specifically for melee damage, but throwing is pretty legit.

That's not a throwing weapon, that's a melee weapon. Throwing weapons deal throwing damage, and are buffed by the desert fossil armor. Vampire knives are buffed by anything that buffs melee damage.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

IntelligibleChoir posted:

Someone here said that they won't attack you if you're touching a dirt block, so just build sky dirt where you want to fight to avoid the ground mobs.

That raises a lot of interesting questions. I'm sure it doesn't need to be dirt because I've fought them on snow and mud, so material is not a factor. Does it have to be impeding your movement in some way? Because if not you can just fill the sky with bubble blocks you can move easily through while not getting poo poo from the crawtipedes. Will it work similarly for actuated blocks?

There's a lot of ways this can be abused if we figure out the exact conditions needed to aggro the crawtipedes.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Ernie Muppari posted:

alls i know is that if the terraria boss fights are anything like the starbound ones i tried months ago, then i'll hate them

You're in luck, Starbound bosses are leagues worse than Terraria bosses. This isn't to say Terraria bosses are good mind you, they're just mildly annoying, as opposed to the root canal of Starbound bosses.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

J.A.B.C. posted:

Going to create a new world and try this out. Wish me luck.

That sounds insanely tedious to me, and I have Aspergers. The wiki says meteors won't land within 25 tiles of a chest, so just build empty chests 25 blocks apart so you don't need to make thousands of chests.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I don't imagine placing one every 25 blocks would be any faster than placing one every three blocks as long as you're getting them with an inventory editor.

In fact, placing more chests is probably easier because you can just hold down left click.

At that point just get a straight up map editor and do poo poo in there. Assuming there's any working map editors at the moment.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

S.T.C.A. posted:

I thought Solar pillar was bad, but Nebula is a thousand times worse by far just because of those teleporting guys that may as well be unignorable crawltipedes since they teleport in front of you as you're moving, causing melee damage every drat time.

:agreed:

The teleporting guys are annoying assholes that hurt a bunch, but the real fuckers that will murder you are the evolution beasts because they will fire off homing shots that go through walls, you can't shoot down the shots, and they persist over multiple hits, hitting like a truck each time. At least the swarms of blinding dudes die quickly.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

The Gorp posted:

Apart from going completely insane on a quest for vampire knives, any other tips for soloing the final boss?

First off, you don't have to get the vampire knives for the moon lord, he has a debuff that negates the lifelink from them, which considering they don't do a whole lot of damage makes them one of the worst weapons for the moon lord even if that debuff isn't on 100% of the time. They help wonders with the other bosses, but they mostly just hinder you with the moon lord. Second off, movement? Overrated. I managed to make an "arena" that means I don't have to move an inch while still letting me fight the moon lord.

Let me present the Beard:

It's kind of a crude version of an arena someone else in the thread used. My first version just had the dirt, the heart lantern and the campfire, I had my first moon lord kill with the sharpening station and the minion altar but I had to hop down my hellevator to stay alive during the second phase. The honey, when combined with some accessories and the solar armor while using the 200 HP potions, almost completely negates the need for moving.

So the main idea is the side walls stop some (like one or two) of the attacks from the hands and that dirt bit in the center stops the laser from the middle eye. The reason it's not a closed box is to make it easier to let yo-yos out, though I've read that those can go through 1 block walls, so whatever, I've not actually seen that happen and the way I constructed the thing might interfere with that ability. The real things keeping you alive are the regen items. The wiki says the campfire doesn't work during the moon lord fight, but I still get the buff listed, so maybe that only applies to the expert mode fight?

The accessories I use are a cross necklace, a celestial stone, a yo-yo bag, a charm of myths, and a worm scarf, all warding. I get away with not using my ankh shied by grappling onto the dirt. The weapons used should be an Eye of Cthulu yo-yo (this gets upgraded to a Terrarian once you kill moon lord and one drops), a Solar Eruption, and a Stardust Dragon (note that the dragon hitting things prevents the solar eruption from hitting them, because reasons). You will need the beetle armor, I haven't tried the defensive version, so I guess just use the offensive version. You're gonna need buffs to survive, I generally use the endurance potion, the ironskin potion, the lifeforce potion, the regen potion, the summoning potion, the rage potion, the wrath potion, a pumpkin pie and an ichor flask, as well as the minion altar and sharpening station buffs. Once you have the Solar Armor you can choose not to use the buffs.

There's some places I could improve the design, like the side walls are a bit too high, I could install some heart statues, and the middle part can be lowered a bit to prevent more of the True Eye of Cthulu eye lasers in the second phase. I've only died once since I got the solar armor, the second phase is where poo poo gets dangerous because of the eyes flying around, there's some attacks they do that hurt a lot and things can depend on them just doing the weaker attacks. As a note, you would think that the expert golem drop would help a lot because you don't move, but if you attack or get hit it stops the regen, so it pretty much does nothing.

So yeah, that's my stupid lazy moon lord strategy. I have the thing above my spawn so I can just cell phone right to it after killing the pillars.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

LightningSquid posted:

Hey, I just wanted to thank you for this (and the rest of the advice you gave in the post). I made my own, and with a teleporter to the nurse it's perfect for farming Expert Moon Lord. Especially after you get the Star Wrath!

Hey cool, glad I could help. Thanks for trying it out in expert mode, I've been meaning to give it a shot but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Honestly the fact that visiting the nurse is required on expert is slightly disappointing to me, I don't have a base built on my expert hardmode world because :effort: so that's gonna be a pain in the rear end.

Evil Fluffy posted:

This works in expert? He hits like a truck filled with trucks made out of other trucks, or does going full beetle armor + warding accessories make it bearable?

Even on normal mode if you're only in beetle armor and have the listed accessories all warding the moon lord can kick your rear end if you don't have potion buffs (I haven't tried it in the defensive version of the beetle armor yet, though I don't imagine it'd help enough, you may just need those buffs). I guess it might work in beetle armor on expert if you have a teleporter to the nurse. Unless you don't want to bring in gear from non expert worlds I recommend you kill him on a normal world a couple times and get Solar Flare armor, because taking 30% less damage on a hit occasionally helps a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Cicadalek posted:

Yes, and it is an enormous pain in the rear end to gather and also to paint. I wish painting it made the light green too.

Yeah, it'd be pretty cool if glowing blocks would change the color they glow if you paint them. At least you can make non glowing blocks glow if you place a gemspark wall behind them.