Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Bluhman posted:

The deal-killer for me in Otherworld is tower-defense aspects in base construction.

yes the most creative genre of mid-2000 indie flash game my favorite.
I saw that it looked ugly and just went "welp" myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

It also means people can just download it and play without loving around with mods.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Surprise T Rex posted:

Been playing (for the first time) on Expert with a friend, and somehow we've made it to Hard mode.

I got Golden Shower to kill the Destroyer, since that's recommended everywhere... but as far as I could see it was doing 1-2 damage per hit on him, when I tried - Is there something I've missed?

Do I just need to get some +magic damage items or something to bypass some kind of defence threshold?
Common advice is not likely to be for Expert mode.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I recall the phoenix blaster being easier to get in the past but I think it's easier to get the money you need for the megashark now.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Right yeah that.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Minishark or phoenix blaster, getting some piercing bullets is good because of reasons. Like meteor ammo and uh I can't think of any other piercing bullets you could get at this point offhand.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Technically you can plant any plant in any type of planter, it just helps keep things sorted.

And you might want a lot more of things that bloom rarely like deathweed than you do of things like daybloom, moonglow, and blinkroot.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

I made one of those but all the npcs pile up and can't be selected past my idiot guide.
It seems more like a way to ensure you'll never be short a room for NPCs to spawn in than a place to keep them long-term, for exactly that reason.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

RareAcumen posted:

And I'm also pretty sure there's something else, like you have to do some zones in a specific order now?
The Dungeon doesn't spawn hardmode enemies until you beat Plantera.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

CJacobs posted:

Came back better prepared and kicked its rear end. :c00l:

Now I look like a huge badass in my ninja/shadow armor combo.
You're aware that wearing all three parts of a set of armor gets you additional bonuses, right?

Solumin posted:

When I entered hardmode, the huge stripe of corruption went right through my house :v:
This is why I build my housing complexes dead center.

Floating off the ground for protection against zombies and invasions and poo poo.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

CJacobs posted:

Yes, the ninja suit and the cape are in my vanity slots.
Ah, then have fun and go nuts.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Turtlicious posted:

Is there a trick to Expert Mode?

Also did someone already ask if Small or Medium worlds are better?
Part of the trick to expert mode is that if you're not experienced enough to already know the answer to that second question, you shouldn't be playing expert mode.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

DoubleNegative posted:

Yeah, the only solution is to just "get good" or whatever. Hard mode gets a lot better once you're decked out in a full suit of hard mode armor, and have better weapons. It's also where the game starts to severely punish the "up close and personal" melee playstyle. Ranged, magic, and summoning builds will have a much better time in hard mode than someone swinging a broadsword.
However there are "melee" weapons which are actually ranged, like yo-yos or the Light Discs, and many others, in hardmode.

Having a broadsword on hand is still useful for cutting down vines or similar things.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Well I decided to make a new character, and one of the earlier things I got form the traveling merchant was the rare creature finder.

And then, when I was not even IN the ice caverns, it said there was a "lost girl" around, so I have finally killed a nymph and gotten a metal detector! :toot:

Raiding my old character's stuff I appear to be missing a fish finder to make a GPS, sadly.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

My accomplishment isn't as cool looking, but I had a blindfold drop, which I took to my old world and smashed together with some things to get an Ankh Shield, which only took like four reforgings to get Warding! :toot:

I also, after having never seen a Nymph before, now have a PDA and two spare metal detectors.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Well, a martian invasion dropped a cosmic car key for me. And with that, a megashark, some chlorphyte bullets, and a lot of potions, I finally beat the Lunatic Cultist.

Then, with the same sort of poo poo, I beat the Vortex Pillar.

And then with a Nebula Beater I utterly crushed two of the other pillars. This thing with chlorphyte bullets is loving cheating. :shittypop:

Well, time to go take on the solar pillar and then probably get murdered by the Moon Lord.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Vortex Beater with Chlorophyte Bullets is loving cheating :staredog:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Blind Sally posted:

i love the vortex beater, but i've never used chlorophyte bullets before. clearly i'm going to have to before i take on Duke Fishtron again. hopefully i can get some cosmic car keys, too, that sounds like a great mount.
You know how like, the only bad part of the Vortex Beater is that it's got a fair amount of spread on the bullets so it's not that accurate?

Chlorophyte bullets are homing.

Also oh yeah I've got a truffle worm or two around here, I should take that and my vortex armor and vortex beater and homing bullets out for a nice trip to the beach. If I can remember where I put the drat worms.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Solumin posted:

I started the Lunar Events again because I figured it's time to face my fears and take on the Moon Lord. And then I kept dying to the pillars. loving Nebula pillar.
Maybe another time...

OTOH I now have a Vortex Beater, 500 Chlorophyte bullets and an alien car key. So maybe the odds are pretty even.

EDIT: I died at literally the last loving second, dammit.
I'm not seeing "every relevant potion you can make" in there. Ironskin, endurance, regen, heartreach, etc. Also, make a stardust dragon staff and use a bewitching table, and an ammo box and ammo use down potion if you have them, but you can deal with that by just making more ammo. Also remember that standing on the ground is actually better for the solar pillar becuase thos big worms don't give a poo poo about you unless you're in the air.

In other news, I am now tryign to fight the expert mode moon lord and a strategy I got off the wiki didn't actually work because his damage ramped way the gently caress up in phase 2. Maybe I should build a minecart track and just spray green bullets in his general direction out of my dolphin while bouncing back and forth at super high speed.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Zereth posted:

In other news, I am now tryign to fight the expert mode moon lord and a strategy I got off the wiki didn't actually work because his damage ramped way the gently caress up in phase 2. Maybe I should build a minecart track and just spray green bullets in his general direction out of my dolphin while bouncing back and forth at super high speed.
I tried "fly directly away from him in a UFO spraying green bullets at him out of a dolphin" and it worked. Man chlorophyte bullets are amazing. Got a little hairy towards the end HP-wise though.

I am however down to 3 bars of clorophyte. I should set up a farm or something.

EDIT:

Zereth fucked around with this message at 12:27 on May 27, 2016

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Lone Badger posted:

Someone remind me about sequence-breaking using fishing. Something about making an iron rod then fishing in the ocean?
You do this until you get a shark that is also a pick, which is as good as a molten pick.

The use of this should be obvious. You can also get any type of ore or bars (depending on crate quality) out of crates you fish up. Which expands to include hardmode ores once you get into hardmode so I'd actually advise keeping them until then so you can skip some of the ore scavenger hunt when suddenly everything's much harder than it was five minutes ago.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

You might want to break all the rocks and poo poo on the surface to get worms which you catch with a net you buy from the merchant, and then combine them with stars to make a pretty good bait. Especially if you're keeping crates for hardmode since those are the best source of journeyman and master baits.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Solumin posted:

The real problem is I just go so overwhelmed during the battle and confused by all the visual effects that I can't keep my head. :sigh:
I recommend dealing with this problem by using Party Bullets.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

Frost Moon and Pumpkin Moon are hands-down my least favorite events/encounters/bosses in the whole game, even expert Moon Lord you feel like you're striving against something, the Moons are so bad I literally thought my game bugged out the first time I got to the last wave.
The only way I was able to solo the pumpkin moon back when it was relevant (and before the frost moon existed) was with the original Spectre set when the healing hat was the only one, and didn't have a damage penalty and I just stood ins the rain from two nimbus rod things and spammed magic.

I guess I could probably take them now by hosing them down with bullets being shot out of a dolphin but I also don't care anymore.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Say is there a way to make the drill mount you can make with luminite work on back walls too? apparently you can't make dungeon bricks into back walls so my efforts to completely demolish this dungeon and take it home with me has hit a snag.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

That extra accessory slot ONLY works in expert mode by the way.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

way to go steve posted:

Thanks for this. I guess there's nothing to be done about the guide though?
The Guide should have the same button.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

This last run I beat the Destroyer with an adamantine repeater and holy arrows (and potions and an arena and such), then I used a megashark and crystal bullets against the twins and skeletron prime.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Oh yeah I made one of those promptly but I don't use it against bosses that are still remote threats. (Which is not much now that I have my dolphin.)

Very useful for exploration and such though, not having to worry about ammo at all for the cost of a mere four stacks of basic arrows/bullets is great.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Corrupt/crimson grass can also spread to bare, exposed dirt, in addition to converting existing normal grass.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

NecroMonster posted:

infected blocks (grass on dirt, sand, ice, and stone) can spread their infection to un-infected blocks up to two blocks away. This can also convert mud to dirt, which can then grow infected grass.
it should also be noted that the thorns (and vines?) that grow from infected grass can also spread the infection.
That's in hardmode, pre-hardmode it needs somewhere grass could or has already grown to spread.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ambaire posted:

I don't think they ever intended you to do this thing I had to modify the the executable to do.
You don't say.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Buttflakes posted:

Sorry, by "homeworld" I meant basically I was thinking I'd start a nice pretty world now that I keep returning to and kinda leave sorta natural that already has things like dungeons, pyramids, giant trees, etc or whatever I need.. close together near a good spot for a base, and have maybe a second world where I actually blow poo poo up, summon enemies, mine, etc... I was asking what kinda things I might want and should look for in a base world, like said dungeons and giant trees, etc... Looks like I don't need to do that, tho, and I'm just going to roll with one world.
This game is really detailed and I'm still just kinda trying to figure out how to progress effectively and move along as I continue to get my rear end handed to me.
One of the biggest things to keep in mind, that's been mentioned before, that's a reason to not do that is that a bunch of important NPCs are gated behind hardmode things, so you'd need to build an NPC tenement or something in your other world you're actually doing things in. And perhaps keep useful supplies on hand for crafting and resupplying so you don't need to swithc worlds whenever you need more special bullets or whatever.

And then you'd want special crafting stations on hand for things, and at this point, well..

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Buttflakes posted:

I basically need to build one of these wherever I'm loving around anyway, right?
If you're just rolling in to make a desert go away to fuel your giant glass dong construction project or something, nah. Or to clown some bosses you massively outclass, or whatever.

If you'll actually be sticking around long enough that the absence of NPCs is a problem, yeah.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I apparently went through the pillars and the moon lord with my angler armor equipped, because when I went to put something in my piggy bank I noticed my vortex armor was in there. :shittypop:

I thought I was going through my bullets oddly fast.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ali Aces posted:

No, you can't. You can only skip forward once a week, period, making it pretty much useless.

It's okay for "I don't want to deal with this loving eclipse right now" or similar. Actual fishing purposes, not so much.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

ever have an inventory almost full from stacks of dirt/mud/snow/etc? way faster than click draaaaaaaaaaaaaaag click draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag click draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag
I deal with that by walking near my dirt/mud/snow/etc chest and hitting "stack to nearby chests".

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

NachtSieger posted:

Always have torches/cursed torches and be obsessive about placing them everywhere. That's what I do.
Yeah, just dedicate an area to being a tree farm and use the smart cursor to chop it all down and replant every so often, and just stock up on slime. If you keep a pile of wood and slime in your inventory you'll basically never run out torches, you just have to stop and fill up your stack of torches once in a while.

If you're low on slime somehow, just put a slime statue or three in a small box with some traps, wire both up to a timer, and let it run for a bit. Probably unnecessary unless you're actively avoiding killing slimes for some reason, but you can easily just pull the statues out and replace them with some other type of statue that spawns something with drops you want.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Blind Duke posted:

Shine potions are super easy to make and for most of the game your choices are either being fiddley with torches, not having a useful helmet with the mining light, or light pets that are bad until endgame
I like slapping torches up everywhere because then I can see where I've been, and see what enemies are in areas I'm not personally lighting up. Using shine potions to see where to place the torches helps even with that, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

I never go into battle without at least ironskin and regen potions.
Yeah, no, if you're taking on Duke Fishron or the lunatic cultist you should be using every potion you can make in your world that's relevant to what you're using. Damage or crit depending on corruption/crimson, the straight damage down, more max HP, etc.

Also upgrade to shroomite armor if you're sticking with gun. You're at the stage where you're going to need the best of everything you can get. You might want to go looking for martian probes to trigger the martian invasion event for some gear.