Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Need a good set of bullbars for my VW, with how people park in downtown phoenix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The samsung dryer they put into our barracks plays fancy melodies. It also broke one week in, and every replacement in the three months since has also broken. Granted, they are on heavy duty cycles (being a laundry bay in a military barracks), but the cheap as poo poo other machines keep on trucking.

Also the washing machine is a piece of poo poo that locks the lid after you start running water so you can't dilute your soap before putting clothes in, and you can't manually set the water level, it just goes "sensing" for ten loving minutes after you start, then decides to use too little water anyway so you come back an hour later (when all other machines are done in 25 minutes on "heavy cycle") to clothes that haven't moved from the intial positions you put them in because there wasn't enough water to actually tumble them.

gently caress Samsung machines.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Holy poo poo battlebots is back.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Doccers why do you have your own sticker on blipshift?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Lightbulb Out posted:

I'm so loving glad I don't have to computer janitor my phone.

Are you having a stroke?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

The Locator posted:

Oh yea, I haven't driven in that area for years, so I'd forgotten about the concentration there. That area makes more sense for the car shop too.

Since I'm in the Beetle now, I tend to take Washington/Jefferson from my home on central/Thomas to my work on University/Extension in Mesa. The area the sign is in is one of my favorite places to people watch at night, especially since my shift ends at 0100.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I didn't give a poo poo about cars until I was 20 or so. Now I love them so much I'm spending stacks on stacks on stacks on avatars for a movie that worships the car in hope that my love can spread to those over the internet.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Elmnt80 posted:

Thats a good title, i like that title. I also like that Hunter S. Tompson piece. It makes me wish I wasn't a big fat goon that would look completely out of place on a cafe racer.

poo poo, now that I'm back on real (read: not Guantanamo) internet for awhile, I can see people's avatars and I can actually get on the site with a web browser instead of the mobile app, and I realize that I'm completely unoriginal.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Grandmother (father's side) just died, but that's okay because she's had dementia for years and years and even before that was a racist bitch who told me I was taking my entire family to hell when I was 14 because I didn't believe in God.

Worse (don't really care about dead gramma, honestly) is that today my fiancee told me she was cut off by a left turning pickup on her motorcycle and totaled the motorcycle (1979 CB650, not a gigantic loss but it did finally run well after three years of loving with it and had become her daily driver), and is missing about a foot square of skin off of her right arm and right leg. Pickup drove off.

There's probably nothing she could have done about the pickup or crash (she didn't "layer dan," but did the correct MSF-taught technique of trying to swerve, atta girl!) but I"m pissed I held off installing the dashcam I had already bought for her bike until after this deployment. It arrived in the mail a few days before I left and I was so swamped with work for leaving that I just put it off. She has a windshield and everything and installation would have been super easy :(

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
no, stayvaway from kethane, its abandoned. There's a stock resource system now.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
THE TIME IS AT HAND!

I have come back from my deployment in Guantanamo, and I have brought with me 30 Radio GTMO bottle openers. While I was down there, Obama something something Cuban relations so we're technically not supposed to be offering the "Rockin' in Fidel's Backyard" slogan anymore, but I ordered a batch of 20 at $12/pop, and cleared them out of their remaining 10. I'm selling them, if you want, for $15/apiece, but if that's too high let me know. Not really trying to make a profit on these, just breaking even so I can spread the love to my fellow drinkers shadetree or other mechanics. And before you ask, yes, I ganked the picture off of a tumblr page, because my phone (HTC One M7) puts a purple filter over everything and looks like poo poo.

The form is at:

http://www.jotform.us/form/51996250126154

And if you get 4 or more (which is crazy because that would be $60) use the code ALCOHOLIC to get $10 off the total. CONUS only unless you're Canadian and want to pay $21 in shipping for a flat rate international padded envelope (seriously, USPS?)

If the price is totally crazy just let me know, I don't really sell things often except for ebay and that takes care of the math n'poo poo for me.

In other news, a few pages back I mentioned that :siren:my fiancee:siren: crashed her motorcycle when a pickup turned left in front of her. Now that I'm home I can assess the damage.

Looks like the front forks don't align with the headstock or the frame anymore, but I'll have to strip it down to do further assessment.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 19, 2015

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Terrible Robot posted:

poo poo, I don't get paid until Friday and already spent my bullshit alotment. Would it be possible for you to set 1 aside for me? Please? :kiddo:

Of course :)

Cakefool posted:

Pity, I'd love one in the UK.

How do I mail things to the UK? Through USPS?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Holy poo poo 15 of you motherfuckers have ordered already. Jesus. Time to go buy more bubble mailers.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I don't know? You can also just paypal me at klintor@gmail.com with your shipping address in the notes if the page is being fucky.

Not counting the two I'm holding aside for later, there are 10 left.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Five left (holding two, seven left). Holy crap.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
And they're all gone (holding one)! Have a stack of bubble mailers with shipping labels taped to them, I'll drop them in the post tomorrow.

Mariooncrack you got in on time, last one available. Holy crap those went quickly, and the $400-ish I spent on them turned right back into $400ish, so mission accomplished.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 20, 2015

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
This is actually why I like working on cars. It's completely, utterly different than what I do for a living (medic), and I feel better and more rounded as a person when I can work daily transporting old people from hospital to hospital "saving lives", then come home and adjust the valves on the Beetle right before firing up the 3D printer for an Arduino project. If my day job was working on cars, or IT, I'd hate doing either of those at home at the end of the day.

I figure you only have one life so you may as well try a bunch of different poo poo while you're here.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Ragnarok the Red posted:

Crap, this is what I get for not checking the thread for a couple days :v: Don't suppose you're getting any more?

Unfortunately, no. I had to smuggle 30 of them by hand from guantanamo back here. Of course, "smuggle" means "get questioned by TSA as to why I have 30 bottle openers, then let go when I said I had a lot of alcoholic friends," but still.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

14 INCH SLIT posted:

So an ambulance comes screeching up to the ER, and the paramedics jump out and begin wheeling the patient in.  Turns out he's a well known famous comedian who's been in a car accident, and his arm had been amputated traumatically.  He was in stable condition, but EMTS being who they are, were cracking jokes left and right as they wheel the man to surgery.  The attending surgeon casts them a death glare, and says "Seriously you guys need to stop.  I just can't find this humerus."
Excellent joke!

Fwiw EMT and paramedic are two different things (well, EMT and EMT-P), and it was probably one of each, a common combination. That said, we're a snarky bunch, and the joke works because it probably happened for real.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Rhyno posted:

I too got my bottle opener and I have no loving bottles to open with it god drat it.

It's not like you live in a dry county :getin:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Rhyno posted:

I already took my pants off!

Arizona has drive-through liquor stores. You don't need pants to drive!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Oh poo poo I just adjusted the valves on the beetle (after 5k miles... and 9 months... :nallears:) and it can idle now.

But that means they've moved a lot, which probably means valves are stretching :smith:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

14 INCH SLIT posted:

No that means you ignored me when I told you to make it part of your 3k mile checkups because aircooled motors expand and contract a lot differently than normal cast iron block and head cars. I wasn't exaggerating. That's how often you need to check them even on new motors.

To be fair, four of those months it was sitting, but all of the miles are my fault. And, to also be fair, the side that was tightest was 1-2, which has a brazilian head, and the german 3-4 side checked out just fine at .006 with no adjustment. But yeah I should adjust it every 1000 or 3000 miles, now that I have a real oil filter.

Maybe I'll just go get myself a bay window bus with hydraulic lifter--- PSHHHH bwahahaha those engines are so expensive I'd probably end up throwing a $400 junkyard 1600 in it instead of fixing the type 4 if it needed any real rebuilding. Jesus, bus guys have a lot of money.

Workweek/day drinking gently caress yeah (no sarcasm)!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
HE'S A ROBAT

E: gently caress two pages in a row what the poo poo

E2: tomorrow is my first day of work, haven't even been back a week but want to get back into the swing of things. Except I don't have a regular partner anymore and I technically can't drive the ambo because of the accident I had the last day I worked before I left (rear ended a car on the freeway, but it was actually his fault and the cop didn't cite me after looking at the dash cam footage) and I haven't taken the safety course again. That means I'm an EMT that can only chart and not drive, which means we only get BLS calls, which means an easy four days. gently caress yeah.

E3: or it means a very difficult four days. And I actually gained weight on the deployment so I barely fit into my uniform anymore. Time to cut back on breads n' poo poo for a few months.

E4: and I showed up in Phoenix during the hottest time of the year. Yeah 100 degrees with a constant 95% humidity in Cuba sucked balls ("stainless" indoor fixtures were 100% surface rusted after a few weeks), but this 110 degree bullshit has to stop. kingofthehillbobyphoenix.jpg

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 23, 2015

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
No, I've just gotten extremely lucky with training events coinciding with the hottest parts of the summer. This will be my third summer here, but the first one I spent Jun/Jul/Aug in Kentucky for medic training (and I had the Subaru with A/C the rest of the year), and last year I did a similar thing in Alaska. I mean, last year the beetle sucked even in May so I was glad to get away. Today I waited until 1600 or so when the sun started getting lower in the sky to do the valves on the car, so I could sit in the shadow and do one side, then push the car the other way around to do the other side. And it's not like Cuba acclimated me to heat or anything - I spent most of the time going from air conditioned box to air conditioned box. The work was stressful and the drive between sucked (all we had were Kawasaki Mules limited to 18mph), but we did PT at around 0400 in the morning and were back in buildings by the time the sun came out at 6.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

freelop posted:

What car would Jesus drive?

A 15 pax van. For him, his disciples, and the two underage boys he rapes on the side.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Shiiiiiiiit, Cradle came out!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

The Locator posted:

My power bill, for a 1700 sq. ft. house in Phoenix, AZ, jumped from $30.37 to $72.09. This solar thing is working out pretty loving good. :smug:
In Phoenix my normalized bill for 1200 sq feet is 105 with no solar. The nest works well.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Ferremit posted:

Got bitten by the neighbours loving cat after it got itself stuck in my cat trap. Little shits been pissing on my doors and upsetting my two cats.

$65 later at the doctors for a tetanus shot and a course of antibiotics. Not loving happy.

You in Canada or something because in :911: that poo poo would be like $250

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I have a nest thermostat, and keep the house at 71-72 when we're home, and 80 from noon-7. It does a good job of off peak pre-cooling, and predicts how long it will take based on weather forecasts and adjusts accordingly.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Everybody play rocket league.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
There's a new Symphony of Science!!!!!!omgomg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FiNZvuOkzY

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I was hoping it wouldn't break with non-unicode characters

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Oh, the nyancat mp3 is all japanese hexascii or something and other non-unicode titles. It hung for a long time but I didn't know it would hang until the song was done playing, so that makes sense. I thought it was my upload speed or something.

I was also trying different small files with misreported song lengths or file sizes, to see if it would break. I'm the person you share the internet with.

Also your radio is calling.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Tommychu posted:

Most of my music is in big honkin' lossless WMA files, but I've got weird enough mp3s to keep this fun for a bit. And if I get bored I can re-rip some stuff to MP3.

Whoa feels a lot like 2005 in here right now.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

You Am I posted:

Da fuk. God drat it :(

Welp, time to stop watching Roadkill.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Safety Dance posted:

Sounds like you done good.

This is my life now: https://appear.in/internet_noise

Oh poo poo your ears I'm laughing pretty hard at this

e: is everything sped up?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
My worst was nyan cat and schoolhouse rock

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Anal gland expression?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Haw, saw your post, decided to go get some beer from the circle K a block down, and I showed up right as it was being robbed, and had to wait around to give a description to PD.

• Locked thread