Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

BottleKnight posted:

I haven't been on a vacation since I was a kid and I wouldn't change that even if the trips were free.

Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Asiina posted:

I think you're crazy, but I really like going on guided vacations to places that are incredibly historically interesting. Like in high school we went to England and France and visited castles and war sites, things like that. When I went to Greece with my mom it was a history based tour where we saw things thousands of years old all across that country. Hanging around with a friend or being there on our own we wouldn't have been able to see a fraction of what we saw. The guided tour getting you up in the morning and taking the bus somewhere and not having to worry about anything at all is so wonderful. It's completely hassle free.

For me, I see no point at all in beach/resort vacations. I have no idea why people go to all these different places (and insist on going to different places each time) to go sit in a resort or maybe possibly on a private beach. You can do that anywhere, there's no need to travel to new exciting locations when you are going to see exactly none of it because you will never leave the resort (and it might be dangerous to leave the resort).

I'm a history person too. I love looking at ruins and old buildings and going to museums. Most people think this is weird, but I love it.

You should go to Egypt. I spent a week looking at ruins going "wow this is really cool" and then remembering that it was built 5000 years ago and having my mind blown.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Opopanax posted:

A friend of mine recommended a tour company that does the Inca Trail and it seems a lot more like what I'm looking for

If you're going to walk the trail you should do some reading up on the weather at different times of the year. I ended up going in April, which is when it can be coldest at night, but also the least likely to rain. It got very cold overnight (down to 0) but the days were in the 30's and it was great for hiking. The third day is the best because you're descending through the cloud forest and there is actually some shade.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Opopanax posted:

I live in Canada, that sounds like very normal weather to me.

Thats in celsius. Not sure what you guys use.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Opopanax posted:

Celsius as well, like all civilized countries

I dunno, I just read this article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrication_in_Canada and it seems like you're not as bad as the US, but still haven't 100% got yourselves around the concept of a metric system.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Ok, can someone please cut off my access to the internet? I have a bunch of work I need to finish today and I keep not doing it.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Kashuno posted:

gently caress off F_V god drat get the gently caress out of here.

did that help?

Thank you, yes it did.

So did turning off my work email.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

kaschei posted:

Skiing very hard, just snowboard unless you are going to ski several times a year. You don't use those muscles for anything else. Learning to ski like learning to swim only doing backstroke. Except faster.

That's my skiing advice, don't do it. Just have fun on the mountain, fall on your butt a few times, no poles to have to walk uphill and retrieve. Where are you going so fast? Just ski lift and watery hot chocolate lodge. Enjoy the mountain.

Backstroke is best stroke. You get a nice view while you swim and your ears are mostly underwater so you get that nice calm detached from the earth sound.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Ecco, someone was mean to you and you had two pounds of raw fish. How is the correct course of action here not completely obvious?

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Opopanax posted:

I'm officially home. Peru is awesome. Travelling is awesome. Where should I go next?

Egypt. Ridiculously loving cheap. Ridiculously loving awesome.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

He could wait a couple of months. I went in June of the year of the Arab Spring and it was fine.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

busb posted:

I had a friend that just went to morocco by herself and she said it was amazing, but she is very adventurous. do it with a tour group?

I did it with Intrepid. It was good

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Also Ernie, I know Abu Simbel and Valley of the Kings are super touristy but they were also amazing.

Although I think I got lucky with the tourist situation. Because I went not long after the Arab Spring tourist numbers were extremely low compared to normal. It was really sad in some places where there were locals whose only income was from tourists to see how badly they were suffering.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Poison Mushroom posted:

Someone might counterargue that if you only ever go with tour groups and on the guided showings, you're not actually experiencing the place as it is, you're getting pre-packaged, mass-produced, Theme Park versions of everything.

If you go to France, see all the landmarks and go home, how have you really bettered yourself as a person? You've gotten to check off a line on a bucket list, completed and arbitrary accomplishment, sure, but aside from people whose job it is to prepare that tour for you (guides, hotel staff, etc), have you really interacted with a single non-American? Have you enriched yourself or your life in any way? Or have you just done something that could be accomplished with a history book and a pair of 3D glasses?

People call it the 'authentic' experience because the alternative is turning the whole visit into a glorified theme park ride.

Doesn't that depend on why and how you travel? I did a tour in Russia, but had a couple of days at the start in St Petersburg by myself. I went to a museum that had a whole bunch of scientific curiosities collected by one of the Tsar's.

Did I better myself? No, but I sure as hell saw a lot of deformed animal embryo's in jars (and it was awesome).

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

EccoRaven posted:

when I graduated high school I got a firm handshake and a check from my father that bounced.

This is the opening sentence to the best novel I've never read.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

100YrsofAttitude posted:

We talked a lot about rugby and you explained to me joy of cricket. I remember this specifically because all my cricket knowledge comes from that one enlightening conversation.

Seriously, you cannot take Australians anywhere.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Kashuno posted:

Re: tour groups or no. I have take a tour group once, and I hated it. Travel websites will tell you all the must see places, and you can plan your own trip while exploring wherever you feel like On no time restraints. It's hard to see everything, even in a tour group, so j tended to see places I want and spend as much time places as it takes me to be satisfied. I also enjoy walking amongst the locals and interacting with different cultures, especially in the poorer countries. To be fair, I am a pretty well traveled single male.

:corrupt::liara::forkbomb::wink:

The new winkie eye's are weird.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Rarity posted:

New? These have all been around for a good 5 years

Never seen them before.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I do not understand a single word Allen said.

Kids today.........

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Amoeba102 posted:

Sydney gave the Olympics what they deserve. They put it on a toxic waste dump.

Really? I have to go to a week long work conference at Sydney Olympic Park every year

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Poison Mushroom posted:

I just finished watching the Tolkien Edit of the Hobbit movies. And goddamn, I did not realize how astoundingly gay the relationship between Bilbo and Thorin comes off.

I should watch that. I never bothered watching the last film because the first two were so full of ridiculous irrelevant rubbish.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

busb posted:

When they invent the destruction of latency I will play with u again diqnol.

You mean when Australia gets good internet? So, never.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Kashuno posted:

beejay
literally my fetish
imgay

I thought this was a haiku for a minute.