Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Tollymain posted:

no you see the artist likes stories with body-sharing elements in them, and we can't enjoy stories with slightly weird elements unless the creator has no interest in said weirdness because reasons

there was something disappointing about realizing the entire point of the story was setting up someone's fetish. like, the buildup, the plot, the character development and then what it leads to is: "So then they merged into one body and walked off into the sunset" and nothing else was accomplished

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Tenebrais posted:

You would have found the story actually substantially better if you had not read a twitter post that the author enjoys stories where people share a body?

No, actually, it ended pretty flat to me like I said above "A thing happened and then they were merged. the end." finding out it was all because someone wanted to set up for their very specific interests explained it but didn't really improve the ending at all

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Cat Mattress posted:

The entire second part of Apothecia fell flat to me. None of it worked. The characters were all stupid, including the protagonist, and their actions made no sense.

True enough... there was a big timeskip and apparently interesting stuff happened during that which we'll never learn about and somehow in the aftermath everyone was deprived of common sense

In better news, we finally got some shocking revelations about one of the most mysterious characters in Band vs Band: Turpentine's cat

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Quinton posted:

I get the impression that her previous long hiatus (you'll note The Meek is back and has been updating weekly or better) was largely due to some legal/contractual dispute with her print publisher (hard to be sure, but reading between the lines of various posts, that's my take-away) which finally expired. I suspect that, like many creatives that have been burned by a bad contract, she'll be more cautious in the future, and I'm hopeful that the Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/shingworks?ty=h) will help make dedicated comic'ing more doable.

iirc Tracy Butler went to bat for 4de when rumors were swirling around about that, so who really knows what was going on

Ah, here it is. Looks like the long post she reblogged about it all was deleted though. :iiam:

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Sep 15, 2015

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Pick posted:

I thought she went to bat for 4D over Tessa Stone instead? If you look through The Meek's comment section, I remember Der-Shing saying her workload was too demanding to also be updating*. It's easy to see a publisher as faceless but artists often have personal reasons for parceling out their time the way they do.

* I thought I remembered her saying it was too exhausting emotionally at that time as well, but as I can't seem to find that I've edited it out.

Sounds pretty possible too!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Heresiarch posted:

That I'm familiar with and yeah, that might work too. FATE was just what came to mind first.

If you (in the general sense) are going for a trimmed-down game, FATE Accelerated might be a better alternative to FATE. Apocalypse World's rules are also a great option because of how easy it is to reskin or build new playbooks (character class/archetypes) and it has a pretty fast and natural flow that works really well for improvisation and over-the-top stunts. FATE/FAE have an Open Gaming License and Powered By the Apocalypse is Creative Commons, so they're both very accessible and open to new games built on the rules, too.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

ConanThe3rd posted:

FATAL would be a lot funnier of it didn't actually exist as a game.

If it helps, I don't think the number of people that would go to bat for FATAL can be counted on one hand. It's just too bad on every level.... like, even if you remove all of the rape and racism (there's a lot) and having to generate the exact size of your genatalia, you're just left with a game where you have to roll several 100-sided dice to successfully urinate

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
So reading the Monster Pulse updates has me wondering.... why hasn't Violet mind-wiped everyone in Shell? Even if she couldn't clear out everyone's memory to the point where they'd be totally useless she could at least purge Abel and his friends from their memories. She must be aware of them and what they do to kids with monsters and she seems perfectly able to comb through the brains of a few people to see if they've figured out the kids aren't dead yet and are planning something

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Captain Bravo posted:

Wasn't she working for them? I thought some of the nefarious things she did before being won over by the power of friendship were for Shell?

Also, three big reasons: 1. She would have to put herself in harms way to get close enough to mind-wipe everyone, plus 2. she would have to destroy all the computer evidence of herself before anyone figures out what she's done, because 3. if she didn't she would become target number one on their hit squad.

I mean this is a secret organization that's got security so incompetent that children routinely break in and out, sometimes releasing more monster ghosts into the world, so it can't be too hard to get in there and destroy the computers/servers. Take Guuzy along and have him barf digestive juices on the really important bits if need be

Violet seems to have a pretty long range on her powers, too, since all of the kids were far apart when she dragged them into her dream world. I don't recall her ever working for Shell, though, but if she were and now betrayed them then she'd have even more knowledge to work with, really, and more reason to get rid of them before they inevitably come for her

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

ConanThe3rd posted:

Not exactly a class act if protecting Tess (or, worse, her own drat feelings) was the goal.

I really hope this isn't going to devolve into 'Dine dragging herself from Shadow to Shadow and being shafted by diabolus ex machina and her own pig headed attitude.

Mary has one hell of a hill to climb here between eighy-sixing the entire cast and putting Undine over so that they at least care when she's put through adversity.

I can't really say I'm upset the rest of the magical girl team died since all they were to begin with were the most broad and uninteresting stereotypes, but I suppose that's the point of it and it all feeds back into are chilling comfort we have with turning little girls into soldiers fighting terrifying monsters etc

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Tollymain posted:

octopus pie is indeed a good comic, although i have no idea what its update schedule is or if it has one

Based on her Patreon goals, it's 10 color pages per month, which she's promising in January (running into February). She was definitely up to that pace before she went on a honeymoon in December

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jan 26, 2016

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Pyroclastic posted:

I just migrated all my comic feeds out of Opera, and was kinda surprised by how many dead feeds I followed that have just stopped or disappeared without really realizing it. Not counting ones with a definitive, planned end or ones that are now continued only in print like Red's Planet or Rutabaga.

Hanna is Not a Boys Name, last updated 2011, creator is famous for dropping projects. Strip doesn't seem to exist online officially any more.
Ellie Starling's Very Long Walk, last strip in 2013, with a 'don't have a lot of time these days' message.
Abominable Charles Christopher, last updated in 2014. Creator is still active, but no hints of a return of Charles Christopher.

Hanna is Not a Boys Name is definitely dead and never coming back. Accounts differ on why.

Ellie Starling's creator is trying to convert the comic into a game, I think, unless that project was dropped

Abominable Charles Christopher is probably being held up due to Karl Kerschl having a kid and doing ongoing work for DC Comics (Gotham Academy, which is genuinely good, by normal people standards and not just DC-trash standards!) He was the artist Gotham Academy until December. He posted a Charles Christopher sketch to his twitter back then too:

https://twitter.com/karlkerschl/status/672145113410334720

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 31, 2016

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I like the cycle of the thread where we post cool new comics we found

I've been reading Daughter of the Lilies lately. It's sort of like Unsounded so far, in that it's a pseudo-medieval fantasy world permeated by magic and the comic can get graphic at times, but it has substantially more likeable characters and about 70% less time spent talking about dry magic mechanics and dull politics between hawt anime men!

There's also some mystery going on know about what exactly the mage girl is under her mask, which is intriguing (be careful not to flip to the main webpage because latest update is super spoilery!)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Plethora posted:

Also, Puck! by ElectricGecko

Goofball romp with absurdly hot legendary fairies and demigoddesses. Also, the author is one of the nicest guys ever.
http://www.puckcomics.com/

Archie got weird

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Pavlov posted:

Haha, it looks like I've come in just in time for SPACE JESUS to show up.

Yeah the writer/artist is some flavor of devout Christian. She says she's interested in religion being an underlying theme that doesn't turn into a some kind of RH Junior-level lecture, so I guess I'll wait and see if this goes into weird places or if it avoids hamfisted proselytizing and spins a good story

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 13, 2016

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Pavlov posted:

Yeah I read the author comment. Let's hope they go more LoTR than Narnia. I don't normally bet on people knowing how to write good subtlety though, especially about JESUS.

Also, I want to see if I can figure out the author's denomination just from the comic. You can already tell they're some kind of trinitarian.

I don't blame you. Webcomics don't have a great history with using real world religions.

It'd be nice if we could a restrained and thoughtful way to incorporate religion into speculative fiction tho. Scifi tries to get away with it by saying "oh we've evolved past the whole thing :smaug:" while religions in fantasy stories usually don't come in more flavors than "I pray to the sun god and get cure light wounds 5x per day" or not-Spanish Inquisition burning the heretics/witches. It''d be interesting to explore more how having a world where gods are sometimes provably real and get involved in global affairs affects how society functions.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 14, 2016

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Pavlov posted:

Unfortunately that would also depend on the people consuming that work to be restrained and thoughtful about religion.

fair point... and given her newest page has like 200+ comments I'm not optimistic on that level :unsmigghh:

Tunicate posted:

The Vlad Taltos books do a pretty good job of that.

Googling the author of these books makes me suspicious

but friend tell me he is legit good so I guess I'll have to check those out

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

mycot posted:

I really liked Avatar the Last Airbender's depiction of spirituality in a fantasy setting.

You know, I love avatar but I feel like sometimes its inconsistent with its spirituality

then again that is pretty consistent with the multilayered factions of individual sects, so I suppose I can't really fault it when it allows for people to bend plants and blood and lightning

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dabir posted:

Those first two were just more difficult extensions of bending the water in them, like earthbending -> metalbending. Lightning doesn't seem to follow too logically but I guess it's high energy plasma?

Whatever the logic is, I"m completely fine so long as it leads to a cool climax.

wiegieman posted:

As unofficial Steven Brust cheerleader, I both completely disagree with every one of his views and loving love everything he's written.

I would go so far as to say that Steven Brust is the best living fiction writer.

That is a heavy task to carry, but I'm totally willing to look into it if it's pulled off well enough

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

FlyinPingu posted:

I'm willing to give Daughter of Lilies a chance; honestly, the post under the comic is more worrying to me than the actual page itself. If there hadn't been a whole conversation about it I probably would have just read past it without a second thought.

does kind of explain the author's childish censoring of the middle finger and swearing though, while having no problem with showing blood and gore. :v:

She kind of erratically censors gore, too. Like when someone is still alive but has gaping injuries she frames shots to obscure the nastier bits of the injury, but a dude is dead and got his innards munched on? Yeah show that all the way!

I didn't think to include a trigger warning of a cameo for a Abrahamic god because idk it didn't feature into it that heavily before, and I didn't know if it would be a big thing in the future. Clearly Thistle's magic is god-powered but it seems too early to judge whether that'll lead to the entire narrative getting pulled into some Christ parable or if it's going to be interesting table dressing to a wider story or what. It'd be awesome if Thistle's head was a giant flaming wheel or something under the hood though

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Looks like Anath Hirsh, Tessa Stone, and Sarah Stone are collaborating on a new webcomic.

The first chapter will be up on the Johnny Wander website before it moves to its own domain. I wonder how that will effect the regular Johnny Wander update schedule, plus Tessa's current webcomic?

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 21, 2016

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

mycot posted:

You're thinking about Hanna is Not a Boy's Name, yes (and Sarah Stone is her sister). For what it's worth Not Drunk Enough has been updating regularly even though it's not very popular in this thread.

Every time I think about HINABN I feel old. It predates Homestuck becoming something super huge so it almost feels like it comes from a different era.

Tessa Stone also did Under Lock and Key before Hanna is Not a Boy's Name. I feel like there was at least one other, but I can't remember what it was called.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

- Author is one of those morons obsessed with Tumblr-style reader questions

does "Tumblr-style" mean like in-character text RP, or does she do reaction comics? Because responding to reader questions with comic reactions was a thing on DA waaay before Tumblr

Cat Mattress posted:

That's the one thing I'm not really seeing. I don't think Skin Deep is meant to be any sort of metaphor for anything, I don't see it as having any sort of pretension beyond the author daydreaming about fantasy creatures being real.

Comparing queer people to rare and special magical beasts who probably have magic abilities that would let them easily take anyone in a one-on-one fight does have some Unfortunate Implications.... man why do people keep using monsters that way in comics?

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Feb 26, 2016

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Hogge Wild posted:

Iirc Boulet made print comics and illustrations for some children's science thing before making webcomics. I haven't read any of his early stuff. Was it good/popular?

I've heard Boulet's comic series are great, but none of them are in English. He got a deal to publish his webcomic posts in English books last May: http://comicsalliance.com/boulet-collected-notes-soaring-penguin-press/ so maybe if those do well enough we'll see some of his older stuff get official translations too

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Hogge Wild posted:

His Dungeon comics can be found in English.

That's true. I forgot he collaborated on the art for a few of those. Don't think he got writing credit though.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

i'm just glad she didn't go with the human versions she draws sometimes, who all look about thirteen years old

they all seem like they're appropriately-aged to me http://lackadaisy.foxprints.com/exhibit.php?exhibitid=328 :shrug:

Rocky is only like 23, while Ivy and Freckle are 18. And Freckle is supposed to be baby-faced on top of that.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

majormonotone posted:

I'm a lesbian and also I hope Aaron Diaz is someday hit by a bus

Well, maybe not. But I want him to stop cartooning, writing, or otherwise attempting to create art forever

I'm into girls too but I don't want bad things to happen to him.

I don't like that he won't confront or try to remove the male gaze in his comics and it makes him come off as a pretty big Joss-Whedon-feminist in situations like this tho

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Elysiume posted:

I'm not sure if it was actually stated anywhere but his waifu got jacked over the course of like two comics around when he was gushing about Korra

Comics 21, 28, 30, 33, 34

So whatever happened in 33 also gave her p nice upper body definition

e: twitter is annoying to search and I regret spending this long digging through his stuff so

Then she walked into a magic science box and got her ultra buff makeover and a cute darker-skinned, blue-eyed girl to crush on

naturally there had to be many shots of her new body that emphasized her strength and power focused on her boobs/legs/rear end

the one panel that doesn't use one of those body parts as a focal point is still set up so that the reader's eyes will roam up and down her exposed body

e- also it was recently revealed that Kim is actually of Korean descent, so now all of you people calling her his "waifu" are the true racists

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Apr 7, 2016

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Space-Bird posted:

All I can imagine is you having diner with a deep sea hydrothermal vent tube monster...you have a lovely dinner. you return home...things get romantic..then suddenly the hydrotermal vent tube monster peels off its its outer carapace to reveal a human face. A Wizard of Goatse screams in horror, hard cut to black.

That'd be really awkward because those things live on nitrogen or something, so the entire time you're going at it that thing will be breathing poisons in your face

not to kinkshame or w/e

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Tunicate posted:

Clearly because everyone would prefer

quote:

Will Eisner's legendary status is a shining example of how far you can go when you're a mediocre jew.

...in comparison to Jack Kirby! Which he didn't mention in any fashion before, during, or after his original tweet.

So you see, setting up Will Eisner as the mediocre Jewish artist while Kirby is the good Jewish artist suddenly clears up every problem with this tweet. It was all a silly misunderstanding

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 19, 2016

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
personally I am glad Will 'Not even nearly as Cuban as aaron Diaz' Eisner can at least be absolved for his mediocre work because he was technically a minority. whew.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

AriadneThread posted:

e: i find it interesting that apparently they reported the heart monster as dead instead of admitting it escaped. i get the feeling there's a lot shell hasn't included in it's reports

Lewinski was blackmailed by the kids into saying that all of them and their monsters died

Shell didn't follow up on this for confirmation or try to locate the bodies because Shell is really very incompetent

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Apr 29, 2016

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I can't fault Av for sampling a bit of Kosher wine during Passover. She has every right to.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
did you guys know bras and undies are (mostly) fireproof?

Don't worry, it was all a trippy hallucination sequence so this isn't creepy

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
That update is actually 2 days short of a month old, and the last before that page is over 2 months old, but I like Necropolis and I wish it updated more so we could get past the prologue and learn more about what the real story is

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Tollymain posted:

poo poo it's may isn't it

If it makes you feel any better, Honey Hart finally said the word

now we can move onto stage 2 of the comic: Honey and Turpentine dating on the d/l until wacky, yet charming, shenanigans out them to both of their bands.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Lesbians? in a webcomic? What will they think of next :monocle:

personally i hope one day to see the mystical bisexual but I know I'm chasing a fantasy here

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Bell_ posted:

Maybe? I started reading from the beginning, and their connection was there from pretty much the beginning. While the art's pretty and the lettering is nice, it seemed like Garfield to me.

Well like Mazerunner said, they were connected from the beginning, sure, but any underlying feelings they had for one another were channeled into a rivalry and grade school pranks like cartoon drawings about how much the other girl sucks and smells (or sometimes moderate vandalism from Turpentine). Neither of them even felt comfortable openly identifying as queer, though Turps quietly dated women before that. Honey had buried any homosexual feelings really deep down and was completely oblivious to anyone being gay, even her own band mates. She kinda quietly floated the idea of being gay to her cat a little while ago, but hasn't come out and said she's gay before this.

It'll be interesting to see how their bands react to all of this. The other Sourballs seem chill enough to roll with it, but the other Candy Hearts obviously aren't happy with how many times Honey has ditched them to snipe/flirt with Turpentine. Cherry thinks Honey is her best friend, so getting snubbed in favor of someone she thinks is super gross must blow. Coco figured out that Honey has a hidden crush on Turpentine a long time ago and thinks the entire relationship would end in disaster and really hurt Honey.

e- It doesn't help that on top of childish jokes specifically at Honey, Turpentine has done things like vandalizing/damaging their band van several times and sabotaging their events and fundraisers. They definitely have a much lower opinion of her than the Sourballs do of Honey.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 7, 2016

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I think the line might be when it becomes painfully obvious that a writer (usually male) is doing it entirely for self-serving reasons vs just to tell a good, maybe sexy, story. You might see little flags going up like frequent objectification, where the reader is forced to focus on some part of the character's body even in circumstances that are contextually-inappropriate to emphasize sexual characteristics. Like random boob/butt shots when characters are talking about something completely irrelevant. This is in contrast to scenes where the character... the best word I can think of is "invites" it. Like when you're reading Chester XYV or Oglaf (:nws: for both of those, obviously) none of the female characters feel objectified even when they're actually loving. Today's Oglaf even has a full-frontal female nudity and it's entirely incidental to her killer dress. When you see a lot of shameless objectification it's hard not to assume that any lesbian relationships aren't also there primarily for the male writer's sexual fantasies. It can also come off as super disingenuous if the writer uses lesbian characters as a way to humblebrag on twitter or as leverage in internet arguments about feminism, as if writing a lesbian relationship gives some innately deep insight into the female psyche and same-sex experience that overwrites the male writer's own position of privilege.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

MikeJF posted:

Mostly we just make the same tired Eglamore joke over and over and mock Chibisoma's breakdown.

Surely Chibisoma thing must be tired by now, too? It happened five years ago and he hasn't posted in the SA thread since then.

• Locked thread