Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Do you also get a free space balloon ride upon sign-up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
I really want the Federal Corvette and can't wait to buy it only to be disappointed by the choices of C4 weapons. I know you don't have to put the biggest class on weapon in a slot but god damnit give me more C4 weapons. :mad: Like the stations and capital ships have these big rear end autocannons why can't that be a C4 weapon?

TorakFade posted:

If you only play 4-5 hours a week like I guess most normal people do, getting the hundreds of millions required to purchase, outfit and operate the big ships is a pain in the rear end. I have a Python, I'm working on upgrading it but it takes a loooong time...
I like how the A class power plant on the Python and Anaconda basically doubles the cost of the ship alone. Granted you don't really need an A class plant but like, god drat.

OB_Juan posted:

That Adder really makes me wish we could reload ammunition. As it is, a hypothetical a wing of that Adder and two Eagles would have a hard time getting anywhere due to short jump distance and no scoops.
Not being able to carry more ammo is so silly. I'm flying a stupid huge rear end corvette thing and I still can only carry 31 railgun shots?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Also why can't I reload my weapons manually? Having to enter the next fight with your weapon(s) a quarter full is kinda annoying.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

GaylordButts posted:

I really wish I could run a sweet blue/white coloration, but I just can't get used to how badly they tend to muck with friend and foe colors on the radar. Screw the TR, red should always = dead.
Yeah every time I've tried mucking about with the HUD colours I've never managed to get a good IFF colour spread. Like enemies would be a colour and non-enemies would be a slightly different shade of the same colour.

TomR posted:

This is a green hud with red enemies.

<MatrixRed> 0.2, 0, -1 </MatrixRed>
<MatrixGreen> -1, 1.25, -1 </MatrixGreen>
<MatrixBlue> 0.22, 0.32, 2 </MatrixBlue>
Got any screenshots of this?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
The problem with that generator is that it just applies a filter over a screenshot so how it looks on there tends to not quite look how it does when you're actually playing.

TomR posted:

That makes it look crummy. Here are some in game screenshots.
Ohh nice, think I'm going to use this.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Does anyone have the link to the list of systems you can just sit in and grind donation missions? I want to get a Federal Gunship when it drops but you need to be rank 7 Fed and :nallears: at trying to get your ranks up normally.

Also TomR is there a way to get the red a bit brighter on that HUD? Any red text is really hard to read for me which is kinda annoying.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Well I'm talking about the list of systems where if you go to them they give almost nothing but donation missions, and it makes it easy to get rep. Well, "easy" but it's way less annoying than doing like 100+ or whatever regular missions.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Chrysophylax posted:

Combat Zones are worse still. Their only purpose is for you to help your chosen minor faction that happens to be in a war, and get a tiny bit of money while doing it. As in, I 100% believe the rewards are so absurdly low for the difficulty and effort involved that the actual reward in FDev's mind is propping up your faction.
For me the combat zones are the epitome of the issue with fun vs reward in this game: I find combat zones really fun but the rewards for how (relatively) hard it is to kill things compared to RESes is really silly. I always jump into them as much as I can but you make so little money compared to a similar amount of time in a good RES.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
I'm loving hype for multi-crew and carrier boating

These will both be the last things they release in season 2 won't it

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
I hope that with multicrew + fighters meaning that people can fly fighters off your deck, you can be a giant dickhole to your fighter pilots by manuvering wildly when they're attempting to land

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Now that you'll be able to actually launch smaller ships and the orca is supposed to be a passenger ship, it should be the ship that specializes in a huge number of stored ships. It's a big dumb elephant surrounded by angry, tiny bees.
I hope you can turn a Type-9 into a ersatz carrier. I'd be pretty down for that honestly; I want an excuse to fly a Type-9 into combat cause it sounds like a space B-17.

Insert name here fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 26, 2015

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Dante80 posted:

Regarding this, I really think they should have taken the time to make a slightly different UI than the default. I understand the lore says that the UI belongs to the pilots federation and is the same for everything, but still..its a little lazy imo. At least, we know that it will be functional..C:
Somewhat related but I kinda wish there was an option for non-standardized HUDs so that every ship had their own unique HUD. It'll never happen but every ship having all the displays in different spots in the old Wing Commander games was always one of my favourite things.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

timn posted:

Mining is cool, the imperial eagle is cool, CQC is cool, this update is cool.

Has anyone played around much with the new federal ships? They look sweet but on paper I don't really see the niche they're supposed to fill. The assault ship looks a bit worse than the imperial clipper at about the same price, and the gunship seems significantly worse than the python at only a marginally lower price. Is there something else to them in actual use?
I'm going to buy a gunship, put 7x multicannons on it and it's gonna own. :colbert: Well ok maybe I'll 6x multicannons and use the large slot on a laser of some sort.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

H13 posted:

I think one thing that they need to improve on is mid-level ships.

Sidewinder -> Eagle\Adder -> Viper\Cobra works well, but then after the Cobra, you've got a loooonnngg time before you end up buying a new ship. It isn't until you start making millions fairly quickly before you can start looking at the upper level ships like Pythons and Vultures. I reckon they need to fill out their roster a bit more so there's some good stuff to progress to after the Cobra.
Viper/Cobra -> Vulture/Asp isn't really that huge a jump. When I started I went from a Viper to a Vulture (like less than a week) pretty fast through straight bounty hunting. You obviously won't have the high-grade components but you can upgrade as you go. Everything after that is ridiculous though yeah, and I wouldn't say no to Frontier adding an intermediate step.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
I absolutely love that the Diamond Frogs system seems to be in a constant state of conflict. JUST ANOTHER DAY IN A WAR WITHOUT END

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Two smuggle missions to the same outpost with a combined payout of one million? Sign me the gently caress up for easy money!

:suicide:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Sard posted:

Haven't checked into E:D in a while, I saw some posts about the new Federal ships being a lot more agile than the FDS. I was originally grinding slowly towards that, but are the new ships cheaper or of lower required rank? I really like the chunky design of these ships and want something like the Advanced PatCom from I-War 2 to tool around in. The Diamondback Scout is fun and has that feel but I gotta move up sometime.
PatCom bros :hfive:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
When in doubt, buy pulse lasers

They're really boring but work well

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The Vulture's greatest crimes are its best weapons loadout is boring, poor jump range, and it looks :mediocre:.

Otherwise it is a kickass ship.
Actually it looks awesome because it looks like someone took two big ol' engines and strapped a cockpit to them.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
They need to add C3 and C4 multicannons imho

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
C4 autocannon would be really easy: stations and cap ships already have these big rear end double-barrel autocannons so a C4 AC could just be that but a single barrel.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Weren't C4 beams leaked/teased?

With the Fed Corvette having two C4 hardpoints, I certainly hope they expand the offerings for the huge slot.
If they don't I'm gonna be all :mad: because having only cannon and PA to choose from sucks.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Also the Vulture is so power tight that running any laser other than pulses usually requires you to downgrade something from what I remember trying to fit it.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

This must be some really loving good weed

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Zaardvark posted:

*edit* Whoops, it would have been better for me to post this in the PGS thread instead. Just me talking about the best ship to use as a long-distance smuggler.

For those interested in Sothis runs, I'm going to echo earlier sentiments that a Cobra is probably best suited for long-distance smuggling, even moreso than something like a DBE. Most ships (like the DBE) that get really good jump distances are somewhat lacking in internal slots, but the Cobra can get a cargo capacity of up to 40 tons, which is pretty good for a ship that can also get a jump distance of around 24 LY. I've now done the run with a DBE and a FAS, the latter of which was horrible and I never want to do that again. Go forth and GIT PAID.
I've been using an Asp for Sothis runs. Fuel tank in the C6 slot so I don't have to bother with scooping and shave some time off each run.

AndroidHub posted:

For me season 2/horizons/1.5 isn't really about the planetary landing, it's about basically everything else, cool ships, more modules, more/better missions, multicrew, character customization, etc. planetary landing is just icing on the cake.

But the mile wide inch deep criticism is well deserved by the game, and it will probably always be there for some people.
This is 100% exactly how I feel. Even after Horizons, Elite will still probably be a game where you'll experience everything gameplay wise after the first hour or two, and how much you play after is dependant on how much you enjoy the core gameplay itself.

Adult Sword Owner posted:

1) Where can I find C3 multicannons? Trying dual C3 beams and...ehh.
Nowhere because they don't exist (multicannons are C1 and C2 only).

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
How is the Assault Ship anyway? A bunch of people earlier in the thread were talking about how it's pretty decent, and I was wondering what it's good for. I might go and pick one up.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Zaardvark posted:

It's amazingly nimble for such a massive ship, its turning is comparable to (and possibly a bit better than) a Vulture. It has terribly lovely shields, however, which is only partially mitigated by quite thick armour. The FAS hardpoints take some getting used to, as well, as, from a pilot's perspective, they're located at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock. As a fighter, it fits between a Vulture and a Python.
Yeah I'm pretty :geno: on the whole "weak shields but heavy armour" thing. How does armour work anyway? Coriolis has an armour number but I have no clue how that interacts with damage taken.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Drake_263 posted:

Armour is simply a measure of the ship's hull hitpoints, one point of armour equaling one point of damage from a given weapon. (Coriolis indicates a weapon's damage as both plain damage vs. armour, and megajoules (MJ) versus shields). Bulkhead upgrades add a percentage to your armour value (+40% for reinforced bulkheads, +95% for milspec composite), the two more expensive specialized bulkhead types theoretically add a damage resistance/weakness to thermal/kinetic weapons (no specific numbers provided) and hull reinforcement packages are a flat +x armour (on top of the bulkhead bonus, it doesn't get multiplied).
Alright cool, for some reason it never occurred to me that armour = HP, even though it seems obvious in retrospect.

So I finally got my promotion to Ensign. Gunship with gimmick all multicannon loadout here I come! Also on the list for silly gimmick loadouts: 6x dumb-fire launchers and a large burst laser.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Adult Sword Owner posted:

So why is Sothis the preferred smuggling station?
It's like 400+ ly away from most systems so you can get smuggling missions worth 5+ million since payout scales with distance.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Quick Gunship trip report: It's really fat

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Lol if you ain't rocking 2x chaff on everything that can fit it

Never not chaff

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Serious talk though, I personally really like double chaff but it's not necessary or anything. I think 1x chaff at minimum is definitely good because it's useful to get gimballed and turreted weapons off you, and I like having 2 to chain them if needed.

Plus popping off chaff and flares looks cool

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Major Isoor posted:

Alright then, thanks for the heads-up. I might just dump a shield booster on it, or something.
(Also, that Sothis smuggling trick is still ongoing, right? Because I'm really gonna need a boost to my funds to be able to afford all this)

EDIT: ^^^ Eh, well, it's not like I've got any better ideas for that second chaff slot anyway, now that the wake scanner has been ruled out :v:
Yeah Sothis runs are still a thing. Get as many as you can in while you still can in-case they decide to nerf it!

I am curious as to why you chose to put the multicannons in the large slots, and went with C2 beams though. Personally I'd go with C3 pulses in the large slots and put the multicannons in the medium slots. According to coriolis you'd be doing the same DPS against hull with that setup, and more DPS against shields, and I'm sure you'll have a much easier time WEP power wise because beams are power hogs.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
FYI if you call yourself a Diamond Frog you're basically required to run the current community mission of doing conflict zones in several systems cause conflict is what we do.

Drake_263 posted:

The combat benefit of chaff really depends on the ship you're flying. Chaff is best for small, nimble ships like Sideys, Eagles, Vipers, Diamondbacks - I'd say the biggest ships that really benefit from chaff are things like Cobras and Vultures. Any bigger ships than that (I'm looking at you Asp) tend to be so big that even if their gimbals are going nuts, chances are they're going to hit SOMETHING on you.

It does, however, keep people in PVP from punking your subsystems regardless of ship size (assuming they're not using fixed guns).
Even keeping half the enemy fire off you is better than having every shot hit. I know that I hold fire on enemy Anacondas when they pop chaff because even at half a klick enough of your shots are being thrown off that I usually feel I'm just wasting energy blasting away.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Voyager I posted:

Guess I better hop on the Sothis train before it gets patched if I ever want to fly a ship bigger than a Vulture.

Out of curiosity, who has made the bulk of their funds through exploits / poor design choices? I managed to grind myself up to a few million the old fashioned way, but most of my money came from farming combat credits under the shadow of that Battleship in the old broken combat zone event, and and then another big chunk from a server update or something putting everyone into the top 1% for missions they hadn't turned in yet.

Without those I'd probably be in a D-fit Vulture at best.
I have an Anaconda

I got this after grinding out enough money in a HRES for a Type-7, then basically trading my way up to Python/Type-9/Anaconda :suicide:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

SynthOrange posted:

Crap, will I need an interdictor?
They can and will show up in signal sources too actually. But yeah most of the time you'll want to bring an interdictor to assassinate missions.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Chrysophylax posted:

Cannons work only if the ship you're attacking is very large, Asp and above. But to be fair, cannons are poo poo guns by design - they're the low power, low energy variants of the multicannons. High punch, low bullet velocity, easy to miss with.
It's hilarious when you do manage to smack a small ship with them though, as well as with Plasma Accelerators. Last night I was in a combat zone and nailed a 4x cannon barrage on an Imperial Fighter. :shepface:

SynthOrange posted:

I'd enjoy combat more if there were more than 1 type of viable gun.
Unless you definition of viable is "the most optimal and efficient for long-term grinding" most weapons are perfectly viable to use in PvE, even though I really do think there needs to be a way to carry more ammo for weapons. Right now I'm rolling in an Anaconda with beams and cannons and it's fun as hell. Once I get enough money to rebuy a Python I'm going to rock a similar loadout.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

frank.club posted:

Did they really nerf all other smuggling missions too?
I can't say for certain but it definitely looks like they hosed up smuggling missions everywhere lol

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Zaardvark posted:

So, I poked around Sothis just earlier. In my opinion, cherry picking missions from Sothis / Ceos is still a reasonably lucrative run - it's just not as ridiculously profitable as it was pre-nerf. Hopping between the two stations in Sothis and the one in Ceos, I picked up 4 missions worth slightly under a million each, and filled the rest of my hold with the rare good there (crystalline gold). That's around 4.5 million for the half hour it takes to resolve the four deliveries. So it's still faster than mining, and at least as good as mass hauling. I'll note I didn't see a single mission that paid over one million credits, though, and even those were quite rare - I was only able to pick up 4 of them between the three stations. The whole thing is super fast if you're in a scoop-less Asp. Given the volume of missions with big payouts, though, there is no longer any incentive to go there in a ship larger than an Asp.

tl;dr Sothis is no longer a gold rush, but it's possibly still the most efficient use of time for money. Just by a smaller margin, post-nerf.
I picked up a 5.5m smuggling mission about an hour and a half ago at Sothis, so they still exist but seem to be really rare.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Gold Anaconda skin is cool and all but it kinda annoys me that it's the first Anaconda skin when I really just want to paint mine either purple or pink. Like why can't it have the same generic tactical/vibrant colour packs that the other ships have? :reject:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

KakerMix posted:

The Corvette has those two huge hardpoints center mounted directly behind the cockpit, it also has a single large hardpoint so you know that the large is also center mounted. It's also the most maneuverable out of the large ships as the Corvette is more maneuverable than the Anaconda and the Cutter is not as maneuverable as the Anaconda. Cutter is fastest though.
Without power plant numbers and shield numbers though who can say. I'm so into those two huge hardpoints though.
I'm a little disappointed at only a single large since I was hoping for a straight up better version of my Cannonconda gunwise (C4 cannon + 3x C3 cannons :getin:), but a more maneuverable Anaconda is extremely my poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Mercurius posted:

The Corvette seems really good to me. From what I can tell, it has much better hardpoint placement than the Anaconda (which I think is horrible as most of you know by now :v:) and if they ever put in C4 beams or multicannons in it'll be an absolute monster. They also said it has decent shields so I'm hoping for somewhere around the FdL level. I also think it also looks better than the Anaconda.

I'm thinking at this stage that the Anaconda will be the best all rounder of the large ships (and the best at exploration/cargo stuff), the Fed Corvette will be the best at packing straight up firepower (especially against larger targets) and the Cutter will be the best at ramming things and looking/sounding the best.
My only hope right now is that the damage modelling on the Corvette is as good as a conda. I love getting torn the gently caress up in a conda and spending the next 15 minutes looking at the model:

• Locked thread