Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I thought beyond was supposed to be just another horizons patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Enos Cabell posted:

Speaking of HUD colors, what colors do other VR peeps find work best? I always forget that you can change them, so I haven't experimented at all.

Always add some green to have better clarity on small font, due to the pentile displays in VR sets. Other than that, anything goes IME.

e: This is a pentile display, as you can see there's much more green subpixels than red/blue

Truga fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 30, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

https://streamable.com/0e3c5

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Also, players on radar have hollow icons, AI is all full solid.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

food court bailiff posted:

How does long distance travel work in this game? I saw that a station I was at had some things for the CQ so I figured I'd grab em and fly to Ngalia for a payday, but apparently it's like dozens of jumps away for me. Do I just grit my teeth and start flying or what?

Get a fuel scoop so you can refuel at stars when you jump through a system. Then yeah, set destination and start jumping.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
As long as you have a fuel scoop equipped, getting close enough to a star will start scooping fuel, but you'll also start collecting heat in most ships, so be ready to run away when it goes over ~80%. Also, there are some star types that can't be scooped, but I forgot which ones because I turned them off in my map and haven't seen one in literal years, so google that bit imo :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Tippis posted:

…but just imagine: being able to explore a planet at 1/10th the current speed! Think how much extra content time sinking this will generate.

1 10th? Have you played a shooter game recently, there's no loving way they'll let us run at >5m/s. Quake is dead. :smith:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Tippis posted:

True enough. I was going more by 3m/s since I tend to spin out hilariously at higher SRV speeds. Could be that it's because I only land at <0.5g planets with my severely-undersized-engine Asp for fear of ending my exploration trips in a an exercise of extreme lithobraking.

You can't really go fast on high G worlds in the SRV in my experience, unless it's exclusively downhill, because you can't really fly long enough distances to avoid annoying obstacles.

On low G worlds, the trick to not spinning out is to not drive but fly over rough terrain and once you get used to that, use it to gain extra speed - every downslope can be used to pick up a bit of extra speed up to like 60m/s easily, and since it's a low g world, you don't lose it when you drive onto the next slope before boosting off again.

My personal top speed on fairly level terrain on a .08g world has been 90m/s, and if you find a nice and long mountain slope to drive down, the sky's the limit basically :v:

... I think I'm gonna try that actually. Does anyone know a super low G world anywhere near the bubble? .01 should be low enough to achieve orbit in an SRV under its own power I think, with enough patience.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Hobold posted:

You could just do like I do and not fly with shields ot have more room for passengers.

ah, the 1950s approach to airlines

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

:qq: won't somebody think of the people ruining other people's game on purpose :qq:

why is the other team in this game that has pvp killing me??????

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Helianthus Annuus posted:

the new C&P stuff just seems like a huge waste. how is this fun for anyone?

a good c&p system makes open world games way better

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, we've only started finding the first exoplanets IRL, the planets in most all systems are wild guesses by the game's procedural generator. afaik, the pg is based off of known real life data, so most things it generates aren't too silly.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Kaddish posted:

For those using HOTAS and VR, how you do you use the galaxy map?

After mapping all the map controls to the joystick and some hat switches, it's literally better than my experience with a mouse and keyboard was. The mouse constantly missed clicks on stars, none of that is happening now.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

DreadLlama posted:

Does anyone use a thrustmaster t flight hotas x with fixed weapons? I can't decide if mine has too much deadzone or if I'm just too much of a spaz to use it properly. I think it's almost easier to aim with a corvette than a vulture because on a light ship I keep overcompensating and the crosshairs oscillate over the target and I can never quite get a shot lined up. With a heavy ship it feels easier to just kinda nudge the nose where I want it without wildly swinging back and forth.

It's really just practice in my experience. I've had 2 ~5 year long stints from combat flight simulation in my time playing games, and every time it was just getting used to aiming with a joystick again. It takes a bit of practice because it's not as easy and precise to pick up as a mouse, but once you're in finally the zone it works great and feels good imo. Having a curve like shown 3 posts up helps to get started for sure, too.

e:

Helianthus Annuus posted:

I know this isn't NEARLY as lucrative as the 'sploit of the month, but it's a better payout than RES farming, and you actually get to play the game instead of flipping the board.

Yes, thank you for this.

Truga fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 23, 2018

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'd rather log in and out and kill 10 duders than log in, scroll through a list then log out for an hour

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Does the removal of secondary effects mean my FSD upgrade won't get bonus fuel used anymore? That'd nerf it considerably.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah my only problem with playing this is vr is no longer being able to make these great vista screenshots. worth it tho

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
what's up with the thread title btw?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I mean the ellen thing

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It’s always said that.

i googled it and lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Sedisp posted:

Quick question for hotas users. Do you prefer full axis throttle or a button to stick it into reverse throttle?

My hotas has the detents thing on the throttle, I use the bottom one as a guide for where my 0% throttle is and use full range, and set my axis in the control panel appropriately, with a deadzone that accounts for the play in the detent:

(it's the rudder axis)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Same, but some unlocking "quests" are extremely poo poo.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

iospace posted:

gently caress QWENT

I had the luck I was grinding modular terminals at the same time I was grinding fed rep and big bucks through one of the lovely relog exploit grinds. I can't even imagine doing it legit.

Did they just figure "everyone's exploiting the poo poo out of our mission system, let's just base our grind off of that baseline" or what?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Why does eve fitting tool have a thread?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Private groups are groups you join, and can select in place of open or solo play. Matchmaking will only throw you into instances with players in that group. Kinda like a clan, but the group name is the name of the player that started it, and I think only they can invite people to it? It's kinda clunky, but it works in a pinch I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
you can do that grind in the corvette.

different people enjoy different ships, shocking I know

• Locked thread