Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

The Devil Tesla posted:

Ushio and Tora is airing this season and reminds me a lot of Yu Yu Hakusho, it's real good!
I'm having a lot of fun with this too and agree with the recommendation.

Tora's p. great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

boom boom boom posted:

What are some good short robot shows? Like, two cours at the most?

Nate RFB posted:

Escaflowne

Escaflowne is an excellent show with great music, great robots, and hilarious technobabble bullshit. It's an enduring favorite of mine.

Edit: Also, since seeing it mentioned in the mecha thread brought it to mind: BIG O! IT'S SHOWTIME!

Zero_Tactility fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 6, 2015

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

The rear end Stooge posted:

Can anyone recommend me a good thriller manga in the vein of Monster or Death Note? Bonus points if it also incorporates elements of hard SF and/or I can read it for free online.
PlutoPlutoPlutoPluto
Seriously, Pluto is a murder mystery that is the author/artist as Monster adapting an Astroboy story and it's my favorite work by him. It's so loving good.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Kubla Khan posted:

Guys can you recommend me a historical anime. Basically I saw Hyouge Mono, liked it a lot, so now I'm craving for more. Things I'm looking for in particular

1) at least pre-WW2, preferably pre-Meiji (1868? or thereabouts) Japan

2) main character/s are adults

3) no silly stuff (magic that doesn't fall into folklore/tradition category, super-powered chuuni fights etc);

Does something like that exist?

House of Five Leaves?

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

ninjewtsu posted:

what is a good anime that stars a female main character who uses a sword
Rose of Versailles is great.

EDIT: And has a good theme song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FhvjA5nPNA

Zero_Tactility fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 3, 2016

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Fsmhunk posted:

I will watch this one next, the design of the robot really appeals to me.
Good choice. Giant Robo is always at the top of my recommendation list for people who like action-adventure, cool retro robots, or crazy martial-arts/super-powers. Also, the music is great.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

unpronounceable posted:

What are the others? I have a soft spot for good English dubs, so when I hear about them, I usually like checking them out.
Cromartie High School's dub is fantastic, though I don't think Kamiyama sounds nearly uptight enough.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Mimir posted:

I want a Mecha show where the robots feel as big and weighty as possible. The ground buckles and quakes with their footsteps. I don't care if they're slow or fast, super or real. Just give me the meaty bots. Like that one episode of Samurai Jack.
There's less focus on the robots than you might think from the title, but Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Eela6 posted:

How do I get into Mecha stuff?

So far I've only really watched Gurren Lagann & NGE. I've never seen a Gundam. Should I watch a Gundam?

I tend to like upbeat stuff. Big plus if the music is really catchy. Recent shows I've liked include My Hero Academia, Sympghogear, Demi-Chan, Konosuba, & Assasination Classroom. That said, I don't mind serious if it pays off well.

GorfZaplen posted:

Giant Robo: Day the Earth Stood Still
This, absolutely. The music in Giant Robo is fantastic (alongside pretty much every other aspect; Giant Robo is so good).

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

JBP posted:

This Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans has grabbed me by the balls. That hostile takeover :discourse: Have to admit I kind of like the mobile workers more than the mobile suits at this point because they look so rough and ready like the Aldnoah terran mechs.

I'm going to grab a bluray of The Big O on my way home today since I'm working away from home and evenings suck. Would I enjoy Arpeggio of Blue Steel? I remember watching a submarine anime in like 2005 that I enjoyed but I can't recall it's name.
I genuinely hope that you enjoy The Big O "Batman: The Animated Series with robots", because it's a lot of fun.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Rinkles posted:

Random grab-bag, any of these cool/good/not even worth touching?
  • Armored Trooper Votoms
The next episode preview from the first episode:
"After escaping Rochina's clutches, Chirico once more descends into hell. In the aftermath of destruction dwells violence and desire in a new Sodom born of the Hundred Years War. Evil and treachery, corruption and confusion. All ground together as though poured from the same concrete mixer. Melkia's very own Gomorrah.

Next episode: Woodo.
Next week, Chirico takes you with him into hell!"

I love VOTOMS.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Paperhouse posted:

help

I have a very long flight and I thought it might be good to have a shounen to watch since they're fast paced and you can just keep watching for hours on end. I haven't watched any shounen since Bleach and Naruto when I was a kid, except for Hunter x Hunter which I did really like. What's the next best thing after HxH?
My Hero Academia is recent (Season 3 just wrapped up, so there's fair amount even if it's not One Piece levels), but it's popular and good.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

As an alternate suggestion, you should watch Monster. It's 74 episodes of high-quality drama.
This is a different direction, but also very good.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Endorph posted:

Also IIRC most of the politics and worldbuilding in Planetes was added in the anime?
Hard disagree that this made it better, though. The tone and focus on personal existential dread was way stronger in the manga, and I think it's a significantly better work.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still and The Big O

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Chocobo posted:

Last recommendation request was very successful, so I'll try something different:

Recommend to me your #1 absolute favorite anime ever, with no context, description, or limitations. Series, OVA, whatever, lets hear it, but limit it to one please!

GorfZaplen posted:

Giant Robo: Day the Earth Stood Still

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

The Colonel posted:

it's a story about teenagers dealing with depression and existence. if you're purely looking at it for the parts where gridman appears and punches a bad guy it's that i guess but. the emotional core is 100% in akane and rikka and it's entirely fueled their relationship with each other
I thought the emotional core was Samurai Calibur being an enormous (but lovable) weirdo.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Toalpaz posted:

Its time. Hit me with an anime recommendation that isn't BNA. I gave up on watching Gundam because I got bored I guess.
Escaflowne

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
The title of the last episode of Planet With is one of my favorite things

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
If you really wanna go period with it, there's a fair amount of old Toonami interstitial material you could also check out like promos and even a couple pseudo music videos.

Outlaw Star promo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SPBJRzW2HM
Multi-show (mostly Outlaw Star) promo/music video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYUM7h4SVsA

Big O promo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK_HTdn3NPE

Yu Yu Hakusho promo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hADGS93dGO4

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Chas McGill posted:

The new series looks cleaner and it's worse for that reason.
I dislike that Yang looks more "sharp" in the new art style. He was always sort of permanently rumpled and bed-head in the original, which was very charming (kind of a Columbo vibe, now that I think of it?)

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Furnaceface posted:

Looking for weird round 2:

This time Im looking for stuff considered by and large to be pointless, trashy or overproduced that you normally wouldnt recommend but secretly loved or enjoyed anyway.
Generator Gawl

It's an unremarkable Guyver knockoff (though styling the hero off of a horseshoe crab is a good look), but I've always really liked it for some reason.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Sonderval posted:

I'm in a weird place right now and looking for some manga/anime to tide me over.

I'm looking for something in the vein of "miserable/serious sci-fi that doesn't hold your hand or have characters plot dump on you constantly".

Thinking of things like :

- Ergo Proxy
- Blame!
- Texhnolyze

Thanks to Netflix I found Blame! after reading it years ago and its fired me back up for more.
Planetes (the manga, not the anime; the tone in the anime is quite a bit goofier)

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

wielder posted:

I'd have to partially disagree and partially agree.

There's a few goofy aspects added to the anime, mainly regarding the early "office comedy" sequences, but they also expanded on the political contents later on.

Don't get me wrong, the Planetes manga is still excellent. I'm just making it clear the anime does touch on plenty of serious subject matter (including stuff not present in the manga).

The TV series also arguably placed more of an emphasis on scientific accuracy during the vast majority of its depictions of space, too.
It's fine, I just don't think it's as consistent, and there are a few changes that I think are genuinely detrimental. I wouldn't tell someone not to watch it at all, but I have a strong personal preference that's reflected in my recommendation.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Bongo Bill posted:

Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still
I love that this is an accurate recommendation. Like, there are robots, yes, but also wuxia characters just wandering all over as well so it's a weird retro-sci-fi/historical-fantasy mashup.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
It's streaming on VRV (https://vrv.co/series/G64PMGZZR/Legend-of-the-Galactic-Heroes) and HIDIVE (https://www.hidive.com/tv/legend-of-the-galactic-heroes)

(VRV is an umbrella service, so it's got a lot of the HIDIVE catalog in there)

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

ahobday posted:

I've been watching That Time I Got Reincarnated As a Slime and I enjoy it a lot. One of the things I enjoy is that there's a relatively serious setting, but the main character is absurdly powerful and this means it's mostly a comedy show because there's not a lot of tension/danger.

Any other recommendations for comedy anime that's got a story-based setting like this? As opposed to comedies that are slice of life or more surreal. Bonus points for something where there's not a lot of tension.

I've tried/am familiar with Konosuba, Gintama, The Devil is a Part Timer.
Going waaaay back, but "The Irresponsible Captain Tylor". It's a comedy space-war series where the serious-people-taking-war-seriously tension is constantly deflated by improbable(?) luck and happenstance surrounding Tylor.

Also, it has a wonderful OST by Kenji Kawai.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Paracelsus posted:

Only caveat to this is that I'd recommend sticking to the TV series. The OVA was very different tonally, and IMO not good.
Yes, agreed.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
Apparently Nozomi Entertainment put the whole thing on Youtube, so that's cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Arc Hammer posted:

Gonna be a very broad and subjective request here: shows with good music. Not just OP and ED music, but the actual soundtrack itself. You get into a rut of watching too many slice of life shows and you get exhausted from all the dithering on piano and comedic trumpet farts or drum banging.

Excluding Kanno or Sawano-scored shows, who's a good composer who really nails a vibe? It doesn't have to he big sweeping orchestra music, just a style that the show completely owns.

The Big O OST is a classic and is used excellently in-context. Smokey sax, mellow jazzy grooves, big brassy orchestral numbers for action scenes.