Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I'm looking for something wholesome and easygoing to watch/read as a pick-me-up. Doesn't necessarily have to be slice-of-life, but I don't want to worry about magic bullshit rules or Big Bad arcs.
I liked Nozaki-kun (every character being a massive loving idiot is a big plus in my book) and Komi can't communicate well enough, but I'd really prefer a show that's not set in high school.
Oddly enough, I'd say Dorohedoro had a pretty close vibe to what I'm looking for, turbomurder and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

Looking for some weird, offbeat comedy

Shows I loved: Chio's School Road, Asobi Asobase, Hinamatsuri

Seconding Nichijou (probably the best fit of them all), Nozaki-kun, Cromartie and Pop Team Epic. Pop Team Epic is largely a collection of disconnected short gags, Nichijou's similar-ish but there's some overarching continuity and the bits are usually longer, Nozaki-kun is less surreal and mostly focuses on parodying shoujo manga tropes (the character humor is pretty great though), and I haven't seen a lot of Cromartie but what I saw was gold.

I've only seen a few eps of Sakamoto Desu Ga? and Gintama and they're funny enough, but Sakamoto's one joke does begin to overstay its welcome after a while, and I think Gintama cycles between relatively straightforward shonen parody arcs and more general comedy bits, so your mileage may vary (also Gintama goes a lot for that kind of super fast-paced humor that relies on wordplay and Japanese pop culture references, which often doesn't translate super well. This also applies to Cromartie I think).

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Tiny Myers posted:

I'm looking for recs.

Looking for something kind of slow-paced, positive, maybe slice-of-life without any casually horny poo poo in it. You know, comments about boob size or whatever. Big plus if it's about adults instead of teens. BIG plus if it's got simple, non-slang dialogue. I have a friend learning Japanese who is looking for some nice stuff to watch that isn't turbohorny and it'd be cool if I could find something like that to recommend.

Supernatural elements are welcome, but not required!

Seconding Restaurant to Another World, Polar Bear Cafe and Flying Witch. Odd-Taxi is extremely good but it does get kind of heavy, so keep that in mind.
Violet Evergarden (drama), Saint Young Men (comedy) and Heaven's Design Team (comedy) could also fit the bill.

Closer to the teen age range, Laid-back Camp is exactly what it says on the tin. Haven't gotten around to watching it just yet so can't confirm how it is on language and tone, though.
Marimashita! Iruma-kun! (boy gets transfered to spoopy demon high school, befriends everyone) is positive, unhorny and supernatural, but not particularly slow-paced.

If you're okay with live-action shows, I also suggest Minight Diner: Tokyo Stories. It's extremely chill.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Azran posted:

I'm once again asking for recommendations for my mom :v: She absolutely loves shows where they teach you about stuff - like the camping tips from Yuru Camp, or the in-depth explanation of paper-making in Ascendance of a Bookworm. I know this is kind of a very broad category but if you can think of any great examples of this, I'm all ears.

Stuff she's seen that fits this category for her:
- Yowamushi Pedal
- Amanchu
- Barakamon
- Super Cub
- March comes in like lion
- Keep your hands off Eizouken

Sounds like she would enjoy "Let's make a mug, too", a thrilling tale of pottery.
Also, not exactly the same genre of "teaching you about stuff", but "Heaven's Design Team" has tons of cool animal facts.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Not sure if it's too old and/or unknown in the US, but Saint Seiya's OST is insane.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Covok posted:

With all of that shared with the class, what series should I consider potentially looking into. Despite all I said here, I am interested in seeing a newer series because I feel my tastes are so out of date that I can't relate anymore to the modern fanboy. However, if there is some really good old poo poo you think I didn't see, let me know about it too.

Any replies are appreciated. There are no stupid answers. Thank you.

- You might enjoy Jujutsu Kaisen. It's a standard fight-based shonen, where people fight by weaponizing "curses". This puts it in the same category of shows like Jojo or BNHA where every character has their own unique gimmick they do wild poo poo with. And while the battle scenes are stellar, the show really shines with its character humor. The main gang has great chemistry and it's very enjoyable to watch them be stupid together whenever there's downtime. It's also been consistently praised for its female characters, since they're allowed to be funny weirdo badasses like the rest of the cast instead of getting henpecked into the standard "The Girl™" shonen roles.
- There's also Dorohedoro - visually it's a bit harder to recommend since it's 3d animated, which puts off a lot of people, though I'd say it's one of the better examples (the manga looks amazing though, give it a peek if you can). Dorohedoro's weird in that it marries that grimdark ultraviolent aesthetic that was quite popular in the late 80s- early 90s with some really chill, upbeat, friends-we-make-along-the-way vibes whenever the characters interact in any way other than grievous brutality (which is about half the time). In theory it's about opposing gangs of murderous psychopaths trying to find and kill each other, in practice it's about best friends hanging out in a weird world full of demons and sometimes skulls get shattered.
- For a good zany comedy, try Nichijou. While technically it's a series of standalone gags, there's an overarching continuity and character arcs.
- Keep your hands off Eizouken! is also worth watching. While it's not exactly hand-drawn (I don't think there's many shows that are, anymore) it has a very unique look, both in terms of character design, background art and animation style. And it's all to serve a plot about three kids dabbling in amateur animation, so it's a pretty great fit.

- Off the top of my head I can't think of recent shows I've watched that had particularly good LGBTQ+ representation (I mean I guess you could watch Heaven's Design Team but it's mostly just a gag show about cool animal facts, or you could also join a significant part of the subforum in the insanity that is the Lesbian Golf Mafia of Birdie Wing, though that one's mostly ~subtext~), but you could wait for the upcoming anime adaptation of Skip to Loafer dropping later this year, or pick up the manga.

Mr Interweb posted:

got somewhat of a weird request. can i get some recs on an anime/manga that's 1) long 2) currently running? preferably something shonen related, but not required.

You need to start reading Dungeon Meshi, stat. Granted the anime adaptation was only recently announced and the manga's entered its final arc, but it's long, it has amazing art, engrossing lore and world building, great humor and characters, plenty of action, and it will make you really hungry.

Arc Hammer posted:

How about some recs for shows set in the real world but outside of Japan? I tried Great Pretender but I'm not really a fan of con job stories where they explain poo poo afterwards with a series of arbitrary asspulls. SpyXFamily is good but it's more about emulating the feel of a cold war European city than anything specifically real world. I want to see shows set in verifiable real world places and see how Japan represents them, be they accurate depictions or Mad Bull 34 insanity depictions. Maybe Yuri On Ice might fit the bill?

If you wanna go old school there's a bunch of shows from the 70s and 80s that are adaptations of children's lit from around the world, like Remi or Marco, and there's also :japan: stuff like The Rose of Versailles or The Mysterious Cities of Gold.

And if we're also talking manga, I don't think anyone's beaten Otoyomegatari on that category just yet. I mean just the. Motherfucking. Embroidery.

SexyBlindfold fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 9, 2022

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Arc Hammer posted:

Any good series about people who are married or already in longterm relationships? I absently came across a few videos of I Can't Understand Whst My Husband is Saying and I thought it was cute and refreshing. I am so sick to death of teenagers on the cusp of starting relationships since Kaguya Sama has essentially been the anime equivalent of Airplane! and flattened the competition.

Adult relationships preferred with a focus on married life or cohabitation. The next steps after you get your happy ever after MC and best girl make-it-official story. They've come of age and now they have to live like it.

Cuprum no Hanayome / Bride of Cuprum / The Artisan's Bride is a solid one, though it's only got about a dozen chapters translated so far. It starts when a couple of young adults from a small town get engaged, and focuses on the guy's trade as a traditional coppersmith, and the girl adapting to couple life and to her fiance's family as she plans for her future. It's really laid-back and the characters feel very fleshed out.

Toshimo posted:

By GT, Goku and Chi-Chi have been married for like 20 years.

They've never kissed on the mouth though!!! That'd be weird!!!

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Supremezero posted:

I'll have you know that the ultimate form of self actualization is attacking and dethroning god, sir.

can't wait for the K6BD anime

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
No clue about sports anime or manga except for already-mentioned Slam Dunk and Teppu, which are good.

On the "endeavour-based" front, I know you said Shirobako and Bakuman didn't hit the spot for you, but it doesn't get much better than Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!, which is also drawing/animation themed. It's technically within the typical "girls doing things" subcategory, but it very much feels like its own thing, and has some excellent character humor in the middle of its animation club shenanigans. It also has some fairly elaborate worldbuilding which is conveyed almost entirely from context cues and environments - I don't think the characters ever mention anything about the weird post-climate change, slightly solarpunk Japan the show is set in.

The current anime season also features Do It Yourself!!, an anime original about a DIY club. It's only got one episode out, but it has a very charming and unique look.

Last one I'll mention which is an entirely by-the-book "girls doing things" entry is Let's Make a Mug, Too. There's nothing particularly special about it but it's about pottery and pottery is cool :colbert:

It can be harder to find "hobby and/or activity" stories that aren't set in high school, but two mangas that go the opposite way are Like a Butterfly and Umi ga Hashiru End Roll. Both involve elderly protagonists that decide to pursue a long-held artistic passion later in life (ballet in Butterfly and filmmaking in End Roll). Like a Butterfly is complete (haven't read it all the way through yet) and End Roll is just getting started, with 8 chapters out.

Of the ones I've read, the closest one to a hobby/activity story with a young adult protagonist would be Cuprum's Bride. The story's more romance than anything, centered around the daily life of an engaged couple, but there's decent focus placed on the guy's trade as a traditional coppersmith.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

pandy fackler posted:

any recommendations for horror genre without sexualized violence? i havent watched much anime besides the staples like cowboy bebop and akira

It'd depend on what particular slice of horror you're looking for, but two good ones on polar opposite ends of the spectrum would be Monster and Dorohedoro. Monster has no supernatural elements (that I recall, it's been a while since I read it) but really nails that psychological horror - thriller vibe, with an extremely tense atmosphere and a rich cast of complex characters.

Dorohedoro, on the other hand, is a body horror action splatfest with competing gangs of murderous psychopaths trying to kill each other with blood magic and knives and demon pacts. Despite that, though, it overall has a very "chill" vibe, and most of the time is spent with the characters hanging out in their weird magic hellworld, being goofballs and having fun. This can make you forget about the horror element since the cast tends to be pretty nonchalant about the gore and demons, but when the major plot beats hit it can get pretty :stonklol:

Both stories are probably best experienced in manga form, but the animes are pretty good too. Dorohedoro's anime only has a season out, though, and it's also 3d, which might put some people off.

Seconding Magnetic Rose, too. It rules.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

grate deceiver posted:

Ousama Ranking

Ousama Ranking looks amazing and has some great character moments, but like so many promising shows it kinda comes apart by the final act. Past a certain point the story just can't keep itself from piling more and more twists and bullshit motivations, which is a shame since the initial premise was solid enough.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
There's also the bit that *could* be interpreted as allegorical apologism for Japanese war crimes, but I'm willing to extend the author the benefit of the doubt there since it does require filling a lot of blanks.

We'll always have that Bojji/Bosse fight scene tho

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
:thunk: How about... Millenium Actress

Paprika is another Satoshi Kon movie that would likely appeal to ~creatives~ a lot, but I feel like it loses steam by the final act.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Coxswain Balls posted:

Is there a show with gorgeous scenery and a sense of exploration and adventure in otherworldly environments like Made in Abyss that isn't Made in Abyss? I want to scratch that itch again and tried the first episode of the new season, and Jesus loving Christ.

The upcoming Dungeon Meshi anime should have plenty of that once it gets the ball rolling. It mostly focuses on (edible) monsters but there's plenty of attention given to the environment and worldbuilding. You can check the manga to see if it's up your alley.
For something more chill, maybe Ancient Magus's Bride? I've only watched like half of the first season but there's some trips to fantastic locales. Leans towards drama, though.
There's also Drifting Dragons, but I'm guessing the 3d animation might put a lot of people off, so maybe check out the manga, the scenery art is gorgeous.

For manga-only options, there's Witch Hat Atelier, and maybe uhhh Heterogeneous Linguistics?

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
I remember reading Tomo-chan is a Girl! for a while but eventually dropping it because, like a lot of 4koma, the pace is glacial. Like Nozaki-kun also has basically zero progress but the joke is "we're all really, really stupid and also shoujo manga do be funny". Tomo-chan's joke is "this one guy is really, really stupid and also there's other one-note characters". It's just not enough bang for your buck imo

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
I mean Bocchi The Rock(!!) might be the best anime of the season and it's a 4-koma, right? I can definitely see 4komas being harder to adapt since the pacing's different, but if the jokes are good, there's potential. It just so happens that the jokes in Tomo-chan are not good.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
It's kinda like Shikimori's Not Just A Cutie where I'm just left perpetually wondering if something gets lost in translation because the set-up to the joke will be like "get this: she's cute... AND cool??" and I'll be like "uh... okay? :confused:" and later realize that's supposed to be the punchline too.

I feel like the premise for Tomo-chan is as good as any to build a rom-com around it, just not as the basis for every joke. Hell, it's not even that different a concept from My Senpai is Annoying, and that one's decent.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Romance/Romcom honestly thought that's what shoujo meant this whole time.

I'll try anything, but if there's something where they're already a couple and it's about their relationship that would be nice.

Re: shoujo/romance with already established couples, there's a lot more to find in manga than in anime. One I recommend often (though it only has a few chapters out and is no longer in Mangadex) is Cuprum's Bride. Traditional coppersmith gets engaged to his highschool sweetheart. It's pretty sweet and the characters have good chemistry, plus there's significant focus on copperwork poo poo if that's something you can get into.

There's also Hokuo Kizoku to Moukinzuma no Yukiguni Karigurashi ("Snow Country Life of the Northern Nobleman and his Eagle Wife"). A young lord from a podunk nowhere village in the frozen tundra gets engaged to a female war veteran, originally out of convenience but then they get to know each other and yadda yadda. The setting is fictional, but it's pretty clearly based on Sami culture. I haven't gotten super far, but it seems to be one of the few romance stories I've found that'll pair a tomboyish female lead with gentle male lead and not make, like, a big deal out of it.

There's three other romance stories I'd suggest, but I guess they're not technically shoujo, as per the definition above. Oh well:

Kekkon Surutte, Hontou desu ka? ("365 Days to the Wedding") has a pretty standard romcom premise: two dorks who work together at a travel agency but barely know each other get fake-engaged in order to avoid getting transferred to Siberia, but then they get to know each other a:words: Both the leads and the support cast are very likeable. The manga seems to be on its home stretch atm and it's getting a live movie adaptation.

Super no Ura de Yani Suu Hanashi ("Smoking behind the supermarket") is a story about... smoking behind the supermarket. A brow-beaten salaryman has a crush on a cashier at the convenience store on his way home from work, and regularly gets teased by a mysterious woman he shares smoking breaks with at the same place, but since's a face-blind dumbass he doesn't realize they're the same person. This one doesn't start off with a couple, but it's cute. I think the male lead's supposed to be in his early 40s, which is practically senile by manga standards, but it doesn't come across as creepy.

Seihantaina Kimi to Boku ("You and I are Polar Opposites") is a highschool romcom about a loud idiot and a quiet nerd who start dating. The art style's more cartoony than usual for romance stories, but the comedy's pretty good. The entire cast is great, especially Gapacho.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
I wanted to like Ice Guy and Cool Colleague because it's a cute premise but they somehow managed to give the adaptation 4koma pacing despite the source material not being 4koma. It feels like a bunch of shorts strung together rather than a full episode, which wouldn't be as much of an issue if the bits weren't all the same joke.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
The Dorohedoro anime's good but I'd say the manga is deffo the best way to experience it. Q Hayashida's art style is very unique and it doesn't quite translate into animation.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Three that I've read and are decent:

- Not-sew-wicked Stepmother
- Don't come to the Villainess's stationery store
- The Duchess's 50 Tea Recipes

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Rochallor posted:

So I've never really watched much anime, but recently I've been trying to watch more as a way of keeping my Japanese skills fresh. Part of it is that I don't really have an interest in the high school setting that so many shows seem crammed into. Space stuff and historical settings are more to my liking, especially if the history stuff is reasonably accurate. I'm willing to bear high school stuff it it deals in actual emotional stakes.

Samurai Champloo has a similar energy to Cowboy Bebop (same director) but it has an historical setting. Well, sort of. It's set in the Edo period but uses a lot of deliberate anachronisms for flair. This isn't particularly new, but it's one of the cases where the mix really heightens the experience, giving the show a very consistent, sleek vibe. The one criticism I'd give it is that the characters are not as endearing as in Bebop.

Golden Kamuy also has an historical setting, set in the early 20th century in Hokkaido, where a renegade army vet teams up with a hunter girl to find a buried treasure. There's plenty of action, humor and over-the-top characters. The story also prominently focuses on the culture and history of the Ainu people, which is a topic that's rarely covered in Japanese media.

If you enjoyed Eizouken you might like Bocchi the Rock!. It also deals with a creative pursuit (forming a band), though it focuses a lot more on the internal struggles of the title character, who is crippled by social anxiety. Its comedy finds a perfect balance between mercilessly dragging its characters while never coming across as outright mean-spirited. It's also really imaginative in the use of animation as a medium, variously employing live action, stop motion or CGI in the bits where Bocchi gets lost in her inner monologue. One of the few music-themed anime where the music actually slaps, too.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Furnaceface posted:

That is one of my favourite moments and episodes in the show. The music that plays over it while the snow slowly accumulates is just so well done.

I feel like Ive never actually asked this before but can you guys recommend me some anime from the late 80s and early 90s? Genre doesnt matter in this case. DBZ might be the only anime I have ever watched from that time period and I feel like Ive seen enough modern shows that it might be nice to watch some of the stuff that inspired it.

Saint Seiya, maybe? I know it never was much of a hit in the US, but it was huge in Latin America. Not sure how well it holds up nowadays, but its orchestral soundtrack still slaps.

Slam Dunk's a pretty solid sports anime, too.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
e: wrong thread

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
If you liked Girl's Last Tour you might enjoy Shimeji Simulation from the same author - the tone is a lot more surreal but it covers some similar themes.

Other post-apoc (or adjacent) stories that may or may not convey their worldbuilding through hints, but are still worth a read:

Uramachi Sakaba and the very similar Haraiso Days from the same author - both explore a futuristic setting through the goings-on at a diner. Haraiso's chapters are slightly longer while Uramachi's are more bite-sized.

Usuzumi no Hate is also a last survivor-ish story, though the tone is probably a lot bleaker than Last Tour. Still, it has some nice character moments.

Yohohama Kaidashi Kikou is a super well-regarded series that's still on my to-read list so I can't give a full description, but it's also a very laid-back take on the end-of-the-world-adjacent setting.

In more general fantasy settings, there's stuff like Heterogeneous Linguistics where the protagonist travels through an unexplored continent populated by monsters and tries to learn about them and their society by studying their languages. There's plenty of room for readers to come up with their own theories and see if they're confirmed further down the line.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Yes, he gets new checkpoints whenever he seems to clear certain challenges, like beating a boss or completing a quest.

As far as telling others, I don't remember, but I think it usually ends poorly, so it's less "I can't tell anyone" and more "telling people isn't really worth the trouble". Didn't get that far ahead though.

e: oh he actually can't tell anyone about his groundhogness, nvm

SexyBlindfold fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 19, 2023

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Ulio posted:

Any thriller/mystery/horror type anime similar to Shiki, Higurashi, Monster? Don't mind manga's either, if they are easy to find digitally. I've heard Naoki Urasawa's other works are good but don't know which one is similar to Monster in that sense.

One manga that's not an exact match but could scratch that itch is Goodnight Punpun. It starts as a coming-of-age psychological drama with some offbeat touches, but by around the midpoint it starts building this foreboding sense of tension and dread because that bird ain't right. Probably not a good manga to read if you're dealing with serious depression because hoo boy this one hosed me up, but otherwise I'd definitely recommend it if you're looking for something bleak but with actual substance behind it, which can apply to most mangas by the same author (I haven't read much of Inio Asano's other works besides Punpun, but I hear Nijigara Holograph is his most horror work, so maybe check that one out too.)

Another horror manga that's been getting pretty rave reviews is The Summer Hikaru Died. I haven't read it so I can't give a full opinion but it also seems to lean on the psychological side, though this one does have a supernatural bent.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Doctor Teeth posted:

Looking for good sword & sorcery fantasy manga (or anime I guess but preferably manga). I'm reading Berserk currently, have ready Fullmetal Alchemist and I bought the first volume of Seven Deadly Sins. Preferably not adaptations of journey to the west or warring states stuff (nothing wrong with those, just not what I'm looking for). Preferably more serious than comedic; I don't mind some comedy but I'm not looking for full-on parody, for example.

Dungeon Meshi / Delicious in Dungeon. It starts off with a mostly comedic high concept (what if an dungeon-crawling party had to subsist on the monsters they kill? Slime jello! Griffin stew! Dragon BBQ!) but the story quickly evolves into an extremely polished dungeon caper with carefully crafted worldbuilding and an amazing cast (the food still makes you hungry tho). An anime adaptation was recently announced, and the manga is still ongoing but seems to be pretty close to wrapping things up.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Eat The Rich posted:

Goddamn, that looks incredible. Def bookmarked for later.

There's a bonus chapter that describes a gyoza recipe that I really wanna try too.

The animated version (from the OVA set of shorts, which is why it looks choppy) improves on the recipe in a number of ways, namely by having Kaiman wish the dough sweet dreams as he puts its to sleep under a blanket

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNiSWkwy80g

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
You should always watch Nichijou, you should never not watch Nichijou. And yeah, Skip and Loafer.

Some other light and comedy-ish shows to de-stress: Nozaki-kun, Yuru Camp, Heaven's Design Team, Polar Bear Cafe. Not sure how many of them have good dubs tho.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Another recent entry into SoL comedy is Bocchi The Rock!
Keep your hands off Eizouken! is also p. solid

On the manga side, if you enjoyed Dungeon Meshi you might also like Witch Hat Atelier, Heterogeneous Linguistics or Soara and the Monster's House.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

RabidWeasel posted:

But then you have to live with it being unfinished :smith:

this is the only reason i didn't include it
(also because i feel like the anime misses a bit of the visual charm of the manga, i don't mind it being 3d but ya gotta give me that grimy, grungy linework)

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Gundam: Witch from Mercury? It takes a lot of inspiration from Utena so that'd be a good place to start, imo.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
re: Gundam Mercury, i think there was also some bullshit with the studio execs being like "no, they're... buddies..." after the ending, and i mean it's not the first time that happens, but the stories where producers or creators go on record downplaying the gay element don't usually end with the main couple actual legit legally gay married

it's true that there's way more options available in manga rather than anime, though. like School Zone Girls (everyone is gay, everyone is stupid), which unfortunately is on indefinite hiatus but has plenty of chapters

SexyBlindfold fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 24, 2024

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
As far as manga recs go, is "How do we relationship?" solid? I remember the first chapters being pretty good but hearing it starts to drag later on. Speaking of dragging later on, "The guy she was interested in wasn't a guy at all" has great art but has been taking a while getting anywhere. Still cute, though. Another option could be "She Loves to Cook, She Loves to Eat" - I think that one got a live-action adaptation.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
I don't think the Dungeon Meshi extras (Adventurer's Bible) are easily available as physical copies but y'all should definitely read them somewhere because they're... just great

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

ninjewtsu posted:

...i struggle to think of others that are actually notably set within a high school

Maybe not high school romance but high school-aged kids who should be going to school instead of loitering about in outer space committing war crimes without parental supervision :colbert:

PRADA SLUT posted:

Birdie Wing is p. gay but not like canon gay

I've only watched a few eps of BW but it's basically the gayest thing imaginable except the characters occasionally add "(in golf)" in the same way that kids these days say "(in Minecraft)"

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

pork never goes bad posted:

I've been enjoying some romcom type anime and manga recently but a lot of em are set in highschool and feature pretty gratuitous fan service of underage characters. I'm looking for recommendations that aren't quite so skeezy, both manga and anime. Things that are somewhat low fan service, with adult protagonists, cute character designs with distinctive individual partners (I'm interested in both straight and gay stories in this sorta space with any combo of genders - I really want the main protagonists to feel like they have a connection more than I have any desires for who the protagonists are or even how many of them there are, though prototypical harem stories have a hard bar to clear), and romantic payoff achieved in like not a huge investment of time. I haven't read or watched a ton in this sorta genre but for an anime Sign of Affection is an imperfect example from this season, kaguya-sama could be perfect if they were in college, and the manga for Hokkaido gals has just a bit too much fan service for my tastes and is a little slow. I'm hoping y'all can point me to some cool manga and anime.

Romcoms that are set in highschool but are good actually:
  • Seconding Skip and Loafer (manga and anime), and you might like Insomniacs After School if you liked S&L.
  • Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun has a bit in common with Kaguya-sama in that it's a parody of the romance genre, though unlike Kaguya it doesn't have much of an earnest romance plot in addition to that. It does have continuity, but it's mostly centered around gags with the cast being a bunch of morons.
  • You and I are Polar Opposites is a forum favorite by now, I think. Don't be fooled by the ultra-cartoony look, its characters have surprising depth. It's also really funny.

Romcoms with adults:
  • Seconding The Snow Country Hunting Life of the :words: and Cuprum's Bride. "More than lovers..." has a cute style, but it does have some fanservice and it has the standard pacing for will-they-won't-they romcoms (though because of its premise, the lead couple already did, repeatedly)
  • Telework Yotabanashi. Neat little meet-cute, and not too long at 20 chapters.
  • Blooming Love (starts at highschool but they graduate eventually)
  • She loves to cook, and she loves to eat. Food!
  • Maitsuki, Niwatsuki, Ooyatsuki. Faces!
  • 365 Days to the Wedding - two dorks get fake-engaged for workplace reasons but then they fall for each other. Very cute art and great side cast.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

PRADA SLUT posted:

rec me a manga along the lines of:

shuzo oshimi's works (happiness, aku no hana, blood on the tracks, etc)
punpun/eri
scums wish

if the line you're after is "abject misery", it doesn't get any more miserable than Night Patrol Sensei, though the misery is more focused on social issues than deep psychological examination of the characters.
another one that might fit the bill is Monster. it is a psychological thriller (though focusing more on the thriller than the psychological part) and is probably Urasawa's best, since he's always been great at writing large casts of complex characters but in this one he doesn't bloat up the mystery to an unmanageable level.

chiasaur11 posted:

Probably a dumb question, but you read any Tatsuki Fujimoto? He's got more of a pulp sensibility a lot of the time, but the whole "examining very damaged people and their coping mechanisms" bit is the focus of a lot of his manga.

by Eri they meant Sayonara Eri so i'm guessing yes. but they should read Look Back if they haven't!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Not an exact match but I've been following Uzusumi no Hate and it's really good