Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

kater posted:

poo poo I want to watch asobe asobase thank you

Read Senryu Shoujo as well while you're at it. Hilarious and amazing romcom about dirks trying to do romance and being super weirdos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2022-04-07/46th-annual-kodansha-manga-awards-nominees-announced/.184436

Tensei Slime

Frieren at the Funeral

Shangri-la Frontier

Couple of Cuckoo

Are the nominees for Best Shonen.

Best general has

Oshi no Ko

Skip to Loafer

And the HS Yakuza Lady dating the HS Yakuza guy.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Coaaab posted:

Among that awards list, I don't really see Kodansha refraining from picking the series' it publishes

Non-Kodansha manga have won in the past, but I see what you mean. It's fairly common for publisher awards to be honest. It's not without merit since their published ones ARE amazingly good.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

kiminewt posted:

So I'm looking for a realistic sports manga/anime, preferrably not baseball.
My favourites are (in order): Baby Steps, Haikyuu, Ping Pong. I've also liked Hikaru No Go, Chihayafuru, Hajime no Ippo.
I've also read some of Eyeshield 21 and Touch, but never finished them.

Alternatively, a manga/anime where someone gets really deep into a non-musical endeavor. My favourite of which is Silver Spoon. Other examples (which either I didn't really like) are Bakuman, Shirobako.

RRR for boxing and I can't recall the name, but the Golden Kamuy author wrote what appeared to be a really solid hockey manga.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

jizzy sillage posted:

My girlfriend really likes anime that is 'weirdly' high stakes - things like Food Wars, where it's 'just cooking' but everything about it is super intense and over the top. Any recommendations for other things like this? She liked:

Food Wars
My Hero Academia
The start of Beastars (but then it started feeling very fetish-y)
Spy x Family (but it's a little slow paced)

Welcome to the Ballroom - Ballroom Dancing

Straighten Up! Welcome to Shika High's Competitive Dance Club - Ballroom Dancing

La Magnifique Grande Scène - Ballet Dancing

Wondance - Street Dancing

7 Right, 3 Wrong - Trivia Games

Dagashi Kashi - Candy

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
What was the manga about a guy's mom being reincarnated as hush classmate? It was full color if memory serves me right and was pretty deep and emotionally thoughtful.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

ahobday posted:

I watched the first season of Slime and enjoyed it. There's some tension, but it's not too bad. I think I bounced off the second season because of all of the society building stuff.

Weird since a lot of people hang around for the society building stuff. But more in line,

Eminence in Shadow

Red Ranger Isekai

Karate Baka

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

The Islamic Shock posted:

I have an idea for an anime that, given all the animes in existence, I would be surprised doesn't exist. A hero that's summoned to another world/the same world in the future, who is destined to defeat the Demon Lord/whatever, just generally sucks at everything, and has his exceptionally lovely incompetence overwritten by his even more exceptionally awesome luck, to the extent that he wins at everything. Being a male not required at all. Not Konosuba, because Kazuma occasionally is useful. Is there such a thing?

There's a soon to be introduced character in Tensei Slime whose whole gimmick is just that.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Jomo posted:

S2 is genuinely the most boring, poorly directed, half-baked train-wreck of a thing I've watched in forever. The real crime here is that there were so many drat good shows in the same season that actually deserved a sequel, but instead this turd got renewed for S3.

Goddamn not many shows manage to piss me off so much but somehow this one irks me bad

If I recall, one of the committee members of the anime is Crunchyroll who has exclusive rights(maybe, needs confirmation) to havenon their platform(at least for initial runs hence confirmation). If gets more seasons, there's one of your faces to punch.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah them funding shield hero is why I stopped subscribing to crunchyroll. Carrying it? Sure, all platforms have poo poo garbage on them. being part of the reason the anime exists? I'm good

I stopped subscribing when I realized the community for it was a toxic shithole. That and money vs provisions from them.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Electric Phantasm posted:

Romance/Romcom honestly thought that's what shoujo meant this whole time.

I'll try anything, but if there's something where they're already a couple and it's about their relationship that would be nice.

Depends on what you're further looking for. There are many goods one I can rec that are of the relaxing variety where you just sit back and enjoy the fluff and relationship SoL hijinks(Sweat and Soap, Uzaki-chan, Shikimori, Wotakoi, Futari Ashita mo Sorenari ni, Love so Life, Saint Cecilia and Pastor Lawrence, My Perfect Girlfriend), HS comedy stuff mixed in(Lovely Complex, Yandere Kanojo, Ore Monogatari, Oresama Teacher, Pseudo Harem, Senryu Shoujo, and again Shikimori and Love so Life, Takagi-san takes place in MS but still fits here) historical(Victorian Romance Emma, Mademoiselle Butterfly, Taisho Otome Otogibanashi).

I'll post more recs once I sift through my bookmarks.

Edit: Ones where the couple is already dating or very much established before the story starts or hookup near immediately near the beginning are Shikimori, Sweat and Soap, My Perfect Girlfriend, Yandere Kanojo, Ore Monogatari, Pseudo Harem, and Futari Ashita.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Dec 31, 2022

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

HanzoSchmanzo posted:

What shows this season are appropriate for a 9 year old?
My daughter's an anime head, and really excited about following stuff as it comes out now.
She's huge into Bofuri (and I know season 2 just started), One Piece, Spy x Family, Saiki K, Nichi Jou, Assassination Classroom, Snow White with the Red Hair, Show By Rock, Slayers, and any magical girl show.

I normally watch everything before she gets to it, but as she's gotten older, she's become able to handle and process more, and I've had less and less time. Saw Handyman Saitou recommended here, and gave it a shot (with her), and part way through the first episode, the wizard starts talking about a warrior with a GREAT BIG WIENER, and they only partially censor the wiener.

Mortified.

Anyhow. Any help you guys could offer would be much appreciated.

Not from this season, but Killing Slimes for 300 Years, Bakarina, and Didn't I Say to Make my Abilities Average, Duke of Death and his Black Maid, Faraway Paladin. From this season, The Magical Revolution of the Reincarnated Princess and the Genius Young Lady(Jesus that's a mouthful) and Endo and Kobayashi's play by play. Will post more when they come to mind or send by PM if that's an option.

Edit: Shadows House is another good one.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 19, 2023

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Natural 20 posted:

Very young me was always confused by this series.

It kept resetting the plot and I didn't know why!

Like trying to reconcile the difference between Muyo and Universe was more than my 11 year old brain could handle.

I'm still trying to figure out what happened in the prime timeline. Or what even was the prime timeline for that matter.

Teaching Muyo OVA was the main series and the other two(Universe and Tokyo) were "What if" type of spinoffs. Most if not all of the other spinoffs focus on following the OVA as that's what the one that follows the original works.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Finished marathonig everything released of Medalist. It's very good. You'll should read it.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Doctor Teeth posted:

Looking for good sword & sorcery fantasy manga (or anime I guess but preferably manga). I'm reading Berserk currently, have ready Fullmetal Alchemist and I bought the first volume of Seven Deadly Sins. Preferably not adaptations of journey to the west or warring states stuff (nothing wrong with those, just not what I'm looking for). Preferably more serious than comedic; I don't mind some comedy but I'm not looking for full-on parody, for example.

Undead Adventurer(Very DnD adventure about a bronze tier adventurer getting marked and coming back as undead and working towards his dream of making it to Mithril rank)

Bard Roen, Knight of the Frontier(Retired knight wanders the world in his golden years looking for his final resting place and enjoying good food and getting into some interesting adventures)

Wolf Wont Sleep(Same author as Bard Roen with near Berserk tier art quality. Sadly got axed, but still worth checking out)

Faraway Paladin(Like others said, easily the best story for someone having a second chance at life and some of the best depictions of faith and gods in fiction)

Lodoss War(Vintage classic that pretty much set the standard)

Slayers(Also a vintage standard setter)

Frieren at the Funeral(Long lived elf and former member of the Hero Party that defeated the demon lord travels and experiences the world)

Most of these already got mentioned, but they're all REALLY DnD like. Slayers is a bit more comedic than the others, but the world and characters are incredibly well done. Another good one is Helck, but that too leans more comedy, but can be very serious when it needs to be.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Mar 27, 2023

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Shikimori Isnt Just Cute

Barakomon

Nichijou

Chio's School Road

Bakarina

Endo and Kobayashi's Play by Play

Love After World Domination

Drinking is for Married Couples

Wotakoi

All for these are good fun and most are cozy and nice.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 14, 2023

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Bongo Bill posted:

If you're willing to tolerate "Technically isekai but it never really comes up," you might try "Faraway Paladin."

That and Helck are both incredibly good. Bonus points for Helck being complete already and getting a sequel as well as an anime.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Captain Invictus posted:

also if you hop into The Faraway Paladin, don't watch the anime, read the manga. the anime is a subpar adaptation, while the manga is stellar.

That anime is one of the reasons I've dropped out of the medium(anime not manga). An absolutely stellar series and THAT was the best you could do for it in terms of an animated adaption? It's like that whole fiasco with both the last attempt at a Berserk anime or Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer(there's actually a really good fantasy series from the author, but the name escapes me).

Not sure if exactly applicable, but Asebi and Adventures in the Sky World is incredibly solid and you might also be interested in Witch Hat Atelier and while more in the game side since it's a VRMMO series, Shangri-la Frontier is hard not to rec and The Hero is Dead is great fun if you enjoy stuff like Konosuba and don't mind there being a lot dumb horny schlockiness intersperseded with moments of drama and depth.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Tabletops posted:

I watched a bunch of romance/romcoms this season (dangers, insomniacs, skiploaf, finishing yamada999) and I guess didn't realize how much I missed shows like this.

Any in the last few years that i may have missed of similar quality/worth watching?

Ore Monogatari

Lovely Complex

Kimi ni Todoke

Kaguya-sama

Dress-up Darling

Miss Shikimori

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Tabletops posted:

Thanks for the recs, I should have provided a list of what I have actually seen in the last few years

Ore no monogatari(was actually when it came out i think)
Kaguya
Kimi no todoke
Dress up darling
Horimiya
Love after world domination

Maybe a few others I’d struggle to put in that camp like chihayafuru

I’ll check out the others y’all mentioned that i don’t know

Forgot to add Taisho Otome Otogibanashi. It and Shikimori are better read since their animes had to cut so e content in places. Senryu Shoujo is also good, but the anime was kind of lacking(so read the manga instead) and Pseudo Harem doesn’t have anime, but is incredibly good.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

thetoughestbean posted:

Pseudo Harem is really good. I love it a lot

Indeed. A few more came to mind like,

Sweat and Soap

Wotakoi

Drinking is for Married Couples

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Captain Invictus posted:

be careful what you wish for!

here's a whole loving lot of series with romance in them, separated by if it's the main focus or not(to the best of my memory, anyways. some of these I read a long-rear end time ago and forget parts of). including stuff you've seen or probably seen the anime of, because the manga are often longer/have more stuff/completed etc

romcom/romance primarily:
The Boy Who Cried Wolf Tells Another Lie Today(one of my favorites)
Oh, My Sweet Alien!(one of my all-time favorites, author passed away right after completing this series)
Lovely Complex
Please Love the Useless Me and it's sequel
Sweet Blue Flowers
Accept My Fist of Love!
It's Not Meguro's First Time
How Do We Relationship(terrible name, good series)
Childhood Friend Complex
Kaiju Girl Caramelise
Sekitou Elegy
Extremely Straightforward Boyfriend x Girlfriend
An Observation Log of My Wife - A Self-Proclaimed Villainess and it's sequel
Tamen de Gushi
Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out!
Wotakoi: Love Is Hard for an Otaku
Pseudo Harem
A Maiden in Love with a Maiden Boy
Sand Chronicles
Don't Toy With Me, Miss Nagatoro
When I Returned to my Hometown, My Childhood Friend Was Broken
Horimiya
I Want Your Mother to Be With Me!
Handsome Girl and Sheltered Girl
Yamada's First Time
I Want to Annoy the Pretty Boss
Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa(My Monster Secret in english, though I feel like people usually go with the japanese name. one of my favorite series)
Elvish Boyfriend, Boyish Girlfriend
Kuzumi-kun, Can't You Read the Room?
Ogami-san Can't Keep It In
Hitomi-chan is Shy With Strangers
Uwagaki
Otaku Boyfriend and Fujoshi Girlfriend
Delinquint Girl In Love
MY LOVE STORY!!(Ore Monogatari!!)
Mousou Telepathy
My Girlfriend Is The Best!
The Coppersmith's Bride(chapters have been purged from Mangadex due to licensing, but it's a good series by the Boy Who Cried Wolf's author)
My Little Monster
A Tropical Fish Yearns For Snow
Taisho Maiden Fairytale
Fujiyama's Adolescence
My Divorced Crybaby Neighbor
Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun
The World God Only Knows
Bonnouji
Don't Become an Otaku, Shinozaki!
Handsome Girl and Crossdressing Boy
Princess Jellyfish
Yamada and Kase-san
Run Away With Me, Girl
Stupid Angel Dances With the Devil
ReLIFE
The Demon Lord Marries the Hero's Mom
Bloom Into You
Haru x Kiyo

romcom/romance as a major part but not exclusively:
Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha
Beware the Villainess!
A Silent Voice
My Wife Has No Emotion
Please Give Me Your Blood, I Will Serve You in Gratitude
An Archdemon's Dilemma: How to Love Your Elf Bride
Kumika's Sense of Taste
Spirit Circle
House of the Sun
Orange
Gan-Kon!(axed)
Destroy All Humankind. They Can’t Be Regenerated.
Kids on the Slope
A Bride's Story
Ai-Ren(a romance, but mostly a look at mortality and existence. extremely brutal series, be aware of that)
MARRIAGETOXIN
March Comes In Like A Lion
She is the Rokurokubi
Welcome to Japan, Elf-san!
Paradise Kiss
Komi-san Can't Communicate
My Dress-up Darling

romcom/romance as a part but not the primary focus:
Yakuza Fiance(only read the first volume or two, not sure if it nosedives in quality)
The Population of the Frontier Owner Starts With 0
Company and Private Life(no romance yet, updates with 1-2 pages at a time every week or so, probably something to add to bookmarks and check in like 3 years when there's a decent chunk available :v: )

looking through my mangadex list made me realize I have a shitload of series I added to read and still haven't read, in particular romcoms. makes me wish two things, that I could set mangadex to show series thumbnails with volume 1 instead of the latest volume cover, and to be able to search or sort my library page by genre or tags. a bummer it's just a huge unsorted list.

Didn’t see these in there so adding them.

Love so Life(HS girl takes care of toddler niece and nephew of newscaster)

Tadokoro-san(gloomy girl x popular girl yuri romance)

Liberta(badass vampire punk saves put upon OL from evils of mundane life)

GGWP: Young Ladies Don't Play Fighting Games(young ladies playing SF clone with all of the gaming rage involved)

Kumika no Mikaku(aline girl bonds with coworkers over human food and culture)

Saint Cecilia and Pastor Lawrence(kind pastor takes care of derpy saint who's "secretly" crushing on him)

Endo and Kobayashi's Play by Play

Girlfriend Who Absolutely Doesn't Want to Take a Bath VS Boyfriend Who Absolutely Wants Her to Take a Bath

I also second Oh My Sweet Alien and the authors passing was super sudden and sad. :(

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 5, 2023

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Tabletops posted:

i'd like to add one to the romance list if anyone else reads this in the future (and for the enjoyers who provided recs for me):
Machida-kun no Sekai is extremely good. that is all.

That title sounds familiar. Will look into it. I also found some more romcom/romcom adjacent series. First three are by the Dragon Maid author(also recommend if it hasn't been already).

Ojojojo - Wealthy girl falls in love with plain guy and learns to mellow out and be nicer.

I Can't Understand What my Husband is Saying - OL married to super weeb husband.

Miss Komori Can't Decline - Very nice girl who takes all requests.

Saotome Senshu - Jacked boxer girl champ secretly dates her awkward underclassmen trainer.

Madmoiselle Butterfly - Historical manga about a geisha in training falling in love with a tattoo artist.

Futari Ashita mo Sorenari ni - Day to day life of a goofy couple dating.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Cephas posted:

I'm stuck at home with covid and I just really want some cute Healing animes to watch. Anyone got suggestions for a grizzled vet of wholesome slice of life? I'm looking for stuff like Flying Witch, Aria, Tamayura, Sangatsu no Lion, Hidamari Sketch, Natsume's Book of Friends.

Shikimori

Saint Cecilia and Pastor Lawrence

Taisho Otome Otogibanashi

Shinmai Shimai Futari Gohan

Senryu Shoujo

Yandere Kanojo

Drinking is for Married Coupled(actually, the authors entire catalog is quite wholesome and fluffy)

Pseudo Harem

Nomi Joshi

Mogusa-san

Kine Cinema

Ore Monogatari

Lovely Complex

Wotakoi

Duke of Death and his Black Maid

The manga version on some of these is much better(Senryu, Taisho, and Shikimori a bit) and some of them don't have anime.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 11, 2023

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Just realised I forgot some.

Mitsuboshi Colors

Yumeguri Yurimeguri

Barakomon

Horimiya

Over the Moon for You

Love so Life

Medalist(this is getting an Anime soon)

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 11, 2023

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Medalist just had a bunch of chapters drop so that's my rec. It's ongoing so I dunno if it fits.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
I like and enjoyed both so I dunno.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Fuoco posted:

I just claimed the '75 days of Crunchyroll Premium' deal from Game Pass Ultimate and would be open to recommendations on the platform.

Specifically I'm hoping for something light and comedy-ish that's good to de-stress with at the end of the day. A decent dub would be preferred.

No idea if they're on Crunchyroll, but Pastor Lawrence and Saint Cecilia and Shikimori fit this bill quite well.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Can't believe no one listed Squid Girl.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Awesome fanmade Medalist trailer I wanted to share that will bum me out when it's not the opening theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cv3vlylpYM

All in celebration of new details for the anime!

Link to VA info

https://x.com/medalist_PR/status/1714931555184132241?s=20

https://x.com/medalist_PR/status/1714930515080544513?s=20

https://x.com/medalist_PR/status/1714930005481050204?s=20

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Azran posted:

I've been on a kick of lighthearted romantic SoL/comedies lately - Horimiya, Ookami no Otoko, Our Wonderful Days, Insomniacs After School, Futari Ashita mo Sorenari Ni, Nagatoro, etc. Any stuff you'd recommend?

Will do!

Saoshyant beat me to it, but yeah Shikimori fits the bill perfectly. I'd also add, Drinking is for Married Couples*, Wotakoi, Yandere Kanojo**, Oresama Teacher, Ojojojo, Miss Komori Can't Decline, and Senryu Shoujo.

* All of this authors manga qualify actually.

** The title is a play on the words Yankee and Dere to mean that the girl is delinquent yankee, but very lovey dovey and dere to her BF.

Saoshyant posted:

You'll probably be into Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie then. Unless you are aware of it and think it's too mainstream?

Also, in general lighthearted romantic shoujo manga that I rather enjoyed sort of recently, there's Our Precious Conversations and Ran the Peerless Beauty. YMMV if you are not into shoujo manga.

A manga recommendation that I'm loving the hell out of it and I guess it's sort of comedy/SoL is Teppu about this tall girl who's really good at all sorts of sports without trying to the point of boredom, but when she finds two short girls being trained by a MMA champion, she gets heavily into it to find a way to beat them, since it's the first time she actually feels challenged. If you have any interest about martial arts, panels of characters doing the crazy eyes thing, and girls kicking rear end, get into that one ASAP.

It's always nice to see Shikimori I'snt Just Cute get some positive rep due to the toxic reception the anime got. For the Teppu rec, I'd also like to add Saotome Senshu, Hitakakusu which is about the schools boxing beast champion dating her kouhai trainer in secret, Hanakaku: Last Girl Standing which is about a bullied put-upon girl getting into MMA after meeting its club members(this ends abruptly which REALLY sucked, but itmwas still a great read).

I'm also gonna rec Medalist because why not, it's an awesome manga and everyone should be reading it.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mentat Radnor posted:

If you somehow haven't read it, Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun is really excellent, one of the funniest mangas I've ever read. It's a 4koma romcom with emphasis on the comedy.

I also recently picked up Hagino-san Wants to Quit the Wind Ensemble which has been pretty funny and lighthearted so far (especially as a former band nerd), but I'm only 5 chapters in and I don't know if there's any "real" romance or if the existing crush is just there to bounce jokes off of.

The Nozaki-kun one reminded me of Tonari no Seki-kun as well as that Teasing Master Takagi ended not too long ago and also has a sequel of them as married adults with a daughter. Very cute and wholesome.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Azran posted:

Thanks a ton for the recs! Will check them out. Also yeah, forgot to list them but I've already read Takagi (great, no notes), When Will Ayumu Make His Move (it reeeeeally dragged towards the end but it was pretty cute) and Nozaki-kun is an all timer. The lack of an anime followup to its first cour is one of the biggest crimes of our era, I'll tell ya.

Forgot to add Mogusa-san to the list. Guy who's family runs a restaurant discovers his cute class neighbors quirky eating habits(hiding mints on her cheeks chipmunk style, eating pocky while hiding it as a pencil, putting down an entire large set of fried chicken).

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Glagha posted:

Wait what happened to the anime?

The reception in the West was WILDLY negative for the most part for very vague reasons, but a LOT of really toxic hatred for the male MC Izumi. It was incredibly disturbing and off-putting. The anime did have flaws in that it overplayed his clumsiness and bad luck and did skip some fan favorite chapters, but overall it was a cute, goofy, wholesome fluff romcom.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Julias posted:

Yeah, the only complaints I saw widespread was that a bunch of people thought it was boring, which, fair.

I'm not saying the other complaints didn't happen, but they were probably from random internet troll nobodys.

It depended a LOT on where you were. A LOT of anime based reddits and posters went REALLY hard on it ranging from soulless, fake, and hollow to being worse than Rent a Girlfriend with the MC Izumi taking a LOT of the heat. A lot was due to apparently anitubers hyping it as, "The next MDuD" simply because they heard it was popular, so when the series turned out to not be anything like MDuD, it got a ton of negative backlash for being overrated and overhyped.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

gay devil posted:

Have any interesting sword & sorcery-style fantasy anime come out in the last couple of years without an isekai/video game plot attached? Only thing I've watched in years is Ranking of Kings which I enjoyed.

I'll also take manga recommendations on the same though I've read more there. Loved Dungeon Meshi, Faraway Paladin, and Helck.

I want neat magic without omnipotent skill windows popping up every 5 panels.

Check out Volumdio: Surreal Sword Saga which takes place in the Helck universe(unknown if prequel or sequel), The Unwanted Undead Adventurer, Asebi and the Adventures in the Sky World(not sword and sorcery, but a really good), Bard Roen Knight of the Frontier, will post more as they stop slipping my mind.

Trailer for Undead Adventurer which starts later this month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaYgDqydDoI

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 20, 2023

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Was reading Helck again and it occurred to me that I hadn't recommended Slayers yet especially the movies and OVA's which are awesome.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

pork never goes bad posted:

I've been enjoying some romcom type anime and manga recently but a lot of em are set in highschool and feature pretty gratuitous fan service of underage characters. I'm looking for recommendations that aren't quite so skeezy, both manga and anime. Things that are somewhat low fan service, with adult protagonists, cute character designs with distinctive individual partners (I'm interested in both straight and gay stories in this sorta space with any combo of genders - I really want the main protagonists to feel like they have a connection more than I have any desires for who the protagonists are or even how many of them there are, though prototypical harem stories have a hard bar to clear), and romantic payoff achieved in like not a huge investment of time. I haven't read or watched a ton in this sorta genre but for an anime Sign of Affection is an imperfect example from this season, kaguya-sama could be perfect if they were in college, and the manga for Hokkaido gals has just a bit too much fan service for my tastes and is a little slow. I'm hoping y'all can point me to some cool manga and anime.

Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

SexyBlindfold posted:

Romcoms that are set in highschool but are good actually:
  • Seconding Skip and Loafer (manga and anime), and you might like Insomniacs After School if you liked S&L.
  • Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun has a bit in common with Kaguya-sama in that it's a parody of the romance genre, though unlike Kaguya it doesn't have much of an earnest romance plot in addition to that. It does have continuity, but it's mostly centered around gags with the cast being a bunch of morons.
  • You and I are Polar Opposites is a forum favorite by now, I think. Don't be fooled by the ultra-cartoony look, its characters have surprising depth. It's also really funny.

Romcoms with adults:
  • Seconding The Snow Country Hunting Life of the :words: and Cuprum's Bride. "More than lovers..." has a cute style, but it does have some fanservice and it has the standard pacing for will-they-won't-they romcoms (though because of its premise, the lead couple already did, repeatedly)
  • Telework Yotabanashi. Neat little meet-cute, and not too long at 20 chapters.
  • Blooming Love (starts at highschool but they graduate eventually)
  • She loves to cook, and she loves to eat. Food!
  • Maitsuki, Niwatsuki, Ooyatsuki. Faces!
  • 365 Days to the Wedding - two dorks get fake-engaged for workplace reasons but then they fall for each other. Very cute art and great side cast.

Sweat and Soap is by the same author as Telework, but that one while not fanservicey does include sexual content. Shikimori I'snt Just Cute, 14 Sai no Koi, and Yandere Kanojo for the HS pile and Bonnouji to the adult MC pile same for Grilling our Love. Haven't read it in a while but Hana ni Arashi was a very good yuri manga and Duke of Death and his Maid is really good and fun, but it's fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Saoshyant posted:

Netflix is presently run by some of the biggest morons in the business. They lost so much ground in the last few years and have no idea what to do.

They got drunk off the success of Stranger Things and Wednesday that anything that doesn't do numbers to rival those gets immediately canned to make room for the next thing they'll immediately can after one season or a handful if episodes.