Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Can I get a manga recommendation for something like Grand Blue Dreaming. I’m looking for the fun, romcom / Love Hina vibe, but nothing super raunchy (like Prison School, which was apparently recommended by MAL what the gently caress). Preferably newer art style but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I need a manga recommendation for anything that's got a sort of reader-draining romance/horror/psychological thing going on, with romance being required.

Good opinions thus far: Flowers of Evil, Scums Wish, Happiness.

Also good but not quite in the above requirements: Nana (though this is straight romance)

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

That Works posted:

So my wife doesn't watch a ton of anime and I don't try to talk her into it but now and then she's asked to give something a go.

She's pretty particular about what she'll get into, so far some stuff that she's liked a ton has been:

The Disastrous Life of Saki-K
Way of the Househusband

Stuff she liked OK:

FMA Brotherhood
Wave: Listen to me

So, kinda the fast paced sillier side of stuff I guess? I can't say I have really watched a ton of that kind of thing so I don't know what really shines given that. I was thinking of Mob Psycho 100 and Komi Can't Communicate to see what she thought but looking for other stuff.

Kaguya Sama Love is War

or all-in on jojo

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I don't know if I'm just late to the party, but I saw the Grand Blue Live Action movie and thought it was great. The story is a directionless clusterfuck and the characters "feel" different than the manga, but it's got plenty of humor and plays out like a humorous series of skits. My wife thought it was good too, and she knows nothing about it (nor does she like diving, so the theme wasn't even there). The Vamos bit was just fantastic

Why was it so universally disliked by nerds? It is just BUT MY WAIFU reasons or do I just have trash taste in live action

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Yeah, I understand that it didn't exactly have a plot through-line and there wasn't like a strong central conflict or 3-act structure or protagonists journey or whatever, but to me, the comedy carried that thing hard, as if it's just a set of (funny) unrelated skits put into a movie. Was just the lack of a plot progression what gave it such poor reception?

It was definitely one of (the?) best live action adaptations I've seen.

Maybe it was just disliked by the Rotten Tomatoes crowd that's used to watching.. Free Guy or something

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

SoR Blaze posted:

I'm sick at home with COVID and I'm feeling nostalgic. When I was a kid my stepdad used to import anime for us to watch so I'm in the mood for an anime movie, preferably from the 80's, preferably a classic, regardless of genre. Only rule is no sexual assault and no weird sex stuff. I don't want to start watching Vampire Hunter D and all of a sudden be like "Oh yeah I forgot about that horrible rape scene". No need to list Miyazaki films as I've already watched them all to death, but other than that I'm open to whatever. Thanks in advance.

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Speed Racer

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 8, 2022

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Kinokuniya if there’s one around

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Need a manga recommendation.

Some type of drama / romance / surrealism / weirdness, similar to Aku no Hana, Loneliness, Goodnight Punpun,

To a lesser extent, the emotional range of Scum's Wish.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I liked Great Pretender but wouldn't say it's got a "playboy" character much, or at least there's no central arc surrounding it that I remember?

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Thanks for the rec! I'm checking it out now. The first couple eps are slow-ish but I'm on episode 4 now and getting into it.

I'm down to check out whatever's out there. I guess what I'm specifically going for is a character knowingly and specifically looking for empty sex and trying to keep it from getting any deeper. Nana seems like it might hit close-ish to that, but I'm still open to any other recommendations :)

e: Great Pretender sounds interesting. What's the name of the character?

Nana starts slow but then hits the gas and doesn't let up. It's soul-wrenching and I loved ever minute of it.

Paradise Kiss (also great) is from the same person and the antagonist is a flamboyant fashionista man slut, and I consider myself somewhat of an expert on flamboyant fashionista man slutisms

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Apr 23, 2022

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Not anime, but what’s supposed to be the appeal of the Spice and Wolf LN? I read the first and it seems pretty average.

Or, it supposed to be like a cute high-school reading or maybe some later depth that’s worth continuing?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Endorph posted:

economics and a slow burn romance between two adults

Nate RFB posted:

Long term I would also say that S&W does a good job of building up the world and how the main couple relate to it to the point where by the final books the characters have ingratiated themselves into some really big players and inner circles and so the gambits they have to pull off become more and more impressive.

Do the beats change from like:

Act 1: Do a commerce
Act 2: A problem doing a commerce
Act 3: Wolf things

I finished the first two books, and am wondering if something changes here.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
For gundamchat, is there a YouTube video that’s like “here’s the important fundamental poo poo to know before watching Witch”

I don’t need a play-by-play of the last 40 years, just a summary of anything worth knowing for watching Witch.

I started watching it and can gather context from what’s going on, but might be nice to know if there’s anything significant underlying the plot.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask this but...

I've never read a manga, but I'm enjoying Chainsaw Man enough that I want to read past the anime (and Demon Slayer too). Is there a how to read manga around here? Do I just start in the back?

Also, was the original Tiger Mask manga ever printed in English / is it available anywhere? I checked Amazon, but that didn't seem to return anything.

Spine on the right to start

Panel order:

Read the page on the right and then the page on the left (and then turn the page, repeat). Double-page spreads read the same way.

Takes about half an hour to get used to.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Also, words/phrases spread out between multiple bubbles still reads bubble order R-L but word order L-R

e.g., three bubbles in a single panel read:

(SLUT) (-DA) (SEXY POSTER PRA-)

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Devilman Crybaby

e: wait this poo poo is like 4 years old

still owns

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is Michiko & Hatchin good and/or worth watching? What's the "IYL X YWL Y" for it?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Looking for a reverse harem (girl surrounded by dudes), with a few caveats:

- Nothing old (no Ouran), nothing with that pre-HD animation style. Maybe like ~2010+?
- Nothing with a dumbass Protagonist
- No weird slave harems
- Elements of the girl driving plot advancement, instead of the dudes running the plot around her and her Waiting For Something To Happen

Maybe something with the tone of Domestic Girlfriend or Nana, but with like.. dudes instead?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Recs good, but still looking:

KillHour posted:

Wasn't Nana already "but with dudes instead"?

Yeah, but I wouldn't call Nana harem. I loved Nana, but I'd mark it as more of a pure drama.

quote:

Anyways, Scum's Wish is similar to Domestic Girlfriend with a female MC (and also a dude who tries to be another MC, but is really just her emo fuckbuddy and we all know it). Not really a harem though. O Maidens in Your Savage Season is also very much that tone, but again, not a harem.

Really liked both of these, but (like Nana) it's a bunch of people navigating their own relationships, instead of having a central MC surrounded by dudes. I guess Scum's Wish is a bit haremy, but it's more Love Triangle. Did like it quite a bit though, at least the manga. I loved the absolute anguish at times, reminded me of Flowers of Evil and Nana.

quote:

Real Edit: Fruits Basket is the one I was thinking of. It just got redone a few years ago.

Watched the new Fruits Basket.. thought it was too like.. juvenile? It wasn't bad, but it seemed a bit too wholesome/cutesy/tweeny.

quote:

MariaHolic and Citrus are both definitely girls-with-harems shows, but they're both Yuri so no dudes (except MariaHolic has one dude, but he's an actual literal abuser forcing himself on a gay teenage girl)

Went about 6 eps into Citrus. Seemed like it was more like viewer fetish material. Still, I don't actually mind if You Got Some BL/Yuri In My Harem, so long as the show meets the other criteria. I watched Given and thought it was going to be Gay Harem, but it ended up being a single relationship with a slow-rear end plot pacing. Though, for purposes of This Post, am still looking for female MC surrounded by dudes (or I guess some girls mixed in).

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Try Pretty Boy Detective Club

Saw the first like four episodes.. something didn't stick, but does it get different at all? I think it felt a little too cutesy with the plot being one of those "MC gets swept into this husbandoverse" (e.g., fruits basket). Would be willing to give it a shot if it's exactly what I'm looking for and I just didn't give it enough of a chance.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jan 5, 2023

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Can I get some recommendations for something with dubs based on liking Chainsaw Man, Demon Slayer, Goblin Slayer, Claymore, Basilisk. I enjoy hero's journey stuff and stuff where everyone has a wacky power...

Jojos Bizarre Adventure
Jujutsu Kaiden

or maybe Fate Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Natural 20 posted:

The ending is everything never knew I wanted. I cried laughing.

Gotta credit them for going whole-rear end with that one. I wish I had 10% of their conviction.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is Re:Zero bad?

I started watching it because of seeing the masses of Rem dolls at cons and assuming there must be Something Good I’m Missing, but I’m 9 eps in (witch village) and it seems.. not very good.

Am I just not far enough in to See The Good Part or did I get bamboozled by the weird waifu crowd?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

ninjewtsu posted:

It's probably just not for you. Its appeal is a combination of having a lot of interesting core mysteries combined with the main character going through a lot of trauma and the ongoing effects that has on his psychology, as well as how the difference in how he experiences reality vs how everyone else does changes his interpersonal relationships and how people see him. Its presentation and dialogue writing is very capital A Anime (in the sense that normies who don't watch much anime use the word) which is easily offputting.

I found the “core mysteries” interesting, and liked the “respawn to do change strategy and slowly uncover The Secret to updating the new spawn point”, but it seemed like there was a lot of fluff in between that core narrative loop.

Though, if it’s actually good but “not for me” good, I’ll keep watching until the end of S1. Expand your horizons and all that.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

ninjewtsu posted:

that "fluff" can be pretty interesting if you get into the psychology of the characters involved, but that involves quite a bit of set up (and being exaggerated cartoon people could very well fall flat anyway). the light novels are super long running and there's only 2 seasons of the show so while there's plenty of fascinating core plot stuff that happens, i'd be hesitant to recommend it on that alone as you're not really going to get resolutions for a bunch of it.

if you wanna see a guy gradually and occasionally dramatically break down due to constant exposure to extreme trauma though it's a pretty fun show

See, that seems interesting, but why is it buffered with an onslaught of goofy-rear end “wacky harem protagonist” acting?

Like, I feel they should have grabbed the MC tone from Fate UBW or something instead of they wanted to go this route.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I think I got it. Re:Zero is tonally inconsistent.

It’s trying to play both the “serious dark psychological fantasy” but also with some slapstick one-offs and drastic shifts in the cartoonyness of its animation style.

The show undermines its own development by throwing around tonal changes at comically bad times. One moment the hero is doing the Noble Sacrifice after a serious bloody fight, and instead of carrying that scene through, the writers insert a throwaway “but first, grab the girls curls and boing them, lol so wacky”, which completely deflates the gravitas of the scene. In another, the hero is doing a conversation to Discover the Serious Plot Secrets that could kill everyone and then falls out a window into a pile of poo poo.

That being said, I only have 15 episodes to go so I might as well finish it.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

kater posted:

The tonal clash is why rezero works imo. It is a silly clown world full of silly clowns. I wouldn’t want it to like not be cartoonish that sounds unbearable.

You can do tonal shifts but need to decide on the “main” tone for the show. Made In Abyss has a disconnect between its tone and animation and plot and it works really well, because they hold that tone throughout major scenes and plot points, not insert throwaway gag comedy after each beat.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

AlternateNu posted:

I also want to hop in and just say that Re:Zero's S2 opening, Long Song, is top 5 OPs of the last decade. And we only hear it like 3 loving times the whole season because they crammed so much content, they just skipped the OP/ED for 10 of the episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8X5hG51jbA

True, since numbers 1-4 are all Ciki Ciki Bam Bam

https://youtu.be/TyqDOOpJlcA

Furnaceface posted:

I feel like Ive never actually asked this before but can you guys recommend me some anime from the late 80s and early 90s? Genre doesnt matter in this case. DBZ might be the only anime I have ever watched from that time period and I feel like Ive seen enough modern shows that it might be nice to watch some of the stuff that inspired it.

Tenchi Muyo

e: double fist the old and new Urusei Yatsura

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 8, 2023

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Captain Oblivious posted:

My primary recollection of Tenchi Muyo was child me being constantly mad at Tenchi for not recognizing or appreciating how rad Ryoko was

There’s a right choice and a wrong choice here Tenchi

The right choice is the badass space pirate you loving rube

plus, cat spaceship

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Well, I fished Re:Zero on goon recommend and it was mediocre at best. And I still don’t understand the anime worlds obsession with Rem.

However, I thought, "there's no way all these nerds are just fetishizing the whole quiet/submissive girl but also Very Badass and worships an rear end of a self-insert MC". So I look for some "Why is Rem so popular" and it leads me to the Reddit anime page. And here are the results:

quote:

In many ways, she would be the ideal woman to have as a partner, she has good education, manners, physical condition, she is not malicious, although she is not very intelligent

quote:

She's genuinely cute and weird in a good way, basically a shut-in who doesn't care too much about anything besides the people close to her which in my opinion makes her feel like a real and believable person.

quote:

It’s mostly due to the fact that we all know from the start Rem hated Subaru but later on fell in love with him,the phycological factor is that people like it when a person who once hated them started to do a complete 180 on them because it’s basically a challenge to get to that point and they like that. Basically the jist of it is that people like characters more that once hated them over characters that already liked them from the start. I think the theory is called the gain/loss theory but I might be wrong on that.

thanks a lot goons, this is all your fault :cripes:

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

GloomMouse posted:

I bounced off the show hard so these might be stupid questions but: Is there a reason he can't tell people about his save point besides "they won't believe me"? Seems like you could figure something out with Groundhog Day amounts of time on your hands. Does he ever get a new checkpoint?

Whenever he tries to, there's some mysterious damaging force that stops him. Though he only tried to overtly reveal it, I don't know if there's some roundabout way of doing so.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Furnaceface posted:

Some of the IF stories were actually kind of interesting and its a shame they wont ever be animated.

I need an anime with a rocking soundtrack right now.

Call of the Night

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
The show sucks rear end, but the Persona 5 Animation soundtrack slaps

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

BigRed0427 posted:

Hey everyone, thanks to stumbling upon Saskai and Myaino, I'm now on a bit of a BL kick. I'm looking for more recommendations, either anime or manga. I would prefer stuff where the seme doesn't act like a total doushebag towards the uke.

Yuri On Ice, if you want something less overt

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a video on like the history of animation/anime in Japan? Like why its style evolved like it did, some notable works through history, etc.

I’ve always assumed elements like low frame rates were originally due to budget and then just turned into part of “the look”. Or like eyes under hair being an artifact from cell animation use. Would be interesting to understand the style more.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Ulio posted:

Any thriller/mystery/horror type anime similar to Shiki, Higurashi, Monster? Don't mind manga's either, if they are easy to find digitally. I've heard Naoki Urasawa's other works are good but don't know which one is similar to Monster in that sense.

Summertime Rendering

e: for manga, Happiness

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

thetoughestbean posted:

Blood on the Tracks, or anything else by Shuzo Oshimi

Happiness and Aku No Hana (Flowers of Evil)

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Thoren posted:

What are some manga series that subvert shonen tropes?

I'm looking for maximum subversion here.

Domestic Girlfriend

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Needs recs for an adult woman (if relevant). Not necessary josei or love drama. If it mains women, they should drive positive action in the plot. Doesn’t have to be acclaimed, just good enough to the degree of like a western superhero TV show.

Assume all the major popular shows have been addressed (Bebop, AoT, etc).

Good:
Yona of the Dawn
Nana
Parakiss
Bungo Stray Dogs
Akudama Drive
Cyberpunk
Fate UBW
High Card
Lycoris Recoil
Gundam Witch
Nier Automata
Talentless Nana
Summertime Rendering
Tokyo Ghoul
Ya Boi kongming
Tomo Chan is a girl
Spy Fam
Maid Sama
Jojo

Bad:
cute girls doing cute things

Iffy:
Fruits Basket was okay, but the MC did too much whining and being a side character.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Tabletops posted:

I watched a bunch of romance/romcoms this season (dangers, insomniacs, skiploaf, finishing yamada999) and I guess didn't realize how much I missed shows like this.

Any in the last few years that i may have missed of similar quality/worth watching?

Domestic Girlfriend, Call of the Night

or just watch Nana

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
complete the 90's trifecta and watch Neon Genesis Evangelion