Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
How old are Trunks, Goten and Marron meant to be at this point? They don't seem to do much by way of aging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Kild posted:

Trunks should be like 12 or 13 and Goten should be 11 or 12.

e: Looking at the wiki Trunks is suppose to be ~14 when Bra is born.

Man at this point they should just pretend the gap between Cell and Buu was like four years instead of seven.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Concerning the 28 planets thing, I think we all know it will be never mentioned again and that events will progress that show it is absolutely not the case in the future.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Rhonne posted:

I don't know how they expect to keep it a secret when the actual battle begins either. Between papa angle probably going over the rules again before the fight starts and all the other universes going after Goku for putting them in this situation there's really no way for them to keep a lid on things.

If I had to guess they'll have a pre game meetup where they lay down the stakes, to everyone's collective horror. That way they can get everyone's collective 'YOU loving DICK' out of the way all at once instead of wasting time doing it for each individual fighter.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Aurora posted:

Goku willingly sacrificed himself

Piccolo wasn't exactly upset and then he kidnapped and brutalized a four year old.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I don't get the desire to see Cell 'reformed', although maybe that's because I thought he was creepy as gently caress when I was a kid. At least Fat Buu seemed to be weirdly innocent, while Vegeta seemed to have been a villain more due to being forced to serve Frieza at a young age and out of a deep seated sense of inadequacy and emotional trauma that he's slowly being growing out of.

I never got any impression Cell was anything other than a guy who loving loved being evil to the core. He started off being creepy and ended up being smug. Leave him dead imo.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Blaze Dragon posted:

What you said about Cell is exactly what Vegeta was. That he was only evil because Freeza forced him to is dubtext and absolutely not his original characterization. Saiyans are monsters who kill entire races for fun (and profit, thanks to Freeza controlling them) and Vegeta was a monster amongst monsters, to the point the also-evil Nappa was shocked at Vegeta's actions in killing both a Saibaman and himself.

At least Cell showed some competitive spirit with the Cell Games and a love of fighting that's perfectly fitting for the cast.

Vegeta didn't do much that was exceptional for a saiyan, of course Nappa would be upset that he killed him, he killed him! The main thing was that you get some context to see that he was as much of a product of his environment than anything and taken out of that environment and put into a fairly chill place like Earth he showed a surprising proclivity for change and temperance. Even before that, during the Namek stuff, at least he seemed genuinely miffed about the fate of people other than himself when talking about what Frieza did to the Saiyans. Even then he held back on just killing his recent enemies from Earth when he thought they weren't of any more use to him.

What does Cell have? His competitive spirit is explicitly so he can rub his awesomeness in everyone's faces before killing everything. Like I said, we don't see any kind of growth except from 'Creepy' to 'Smug'. Even if he did it would just be retreading Vegeta but with none of the interesting background fluff.

If they ever brought Cell back it should entirely be for purpose of him getting clowned by other people better than him to wipe that dumb look off his face. But then that's another thing they already have Vegeta for!

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 11, 2017

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Aurora posted:

"Evil people aren't evil because it's just how they were brought up!"

I mean, probably.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Nope.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Blaze Dragon posted:

No, he didn't. Once brought into Earth, Vegeta impregnated Bulma then proceeded to only care about the new strong people he could fight with his newfound Super Saiyan powers. He was still so evil, he was fully willing to let his child and the mother of said child die, and when the future version of said son calls him out on it, he makes it clear that he couldn't care less about their life, or anyone's other than his own.

He also very definitely kills a truck driver and likely several other innocents in his fight against 18. The latter, the technically actually evil one, never hurts anyone except actual fighters.

Vegeta only starts changing once he's stuck in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber with Trunks, and even there, he only shows proper signs of changing after Trunks' death. His future counterpart never goes through that and dies just as evil as he begun, considering he never marries Bulma and as far as we know never cared about Future Trunks. And even with that, Vegeta only truly becomes good after he dies fighting Majin Buu, before that, he saw his growth as a person as a negative thing and willingly allowed himself to be possessed by Babidi to go back to being evil.

In Namek, Vegeta cares about no one other than himself. He wants the Dragon Balls to wish for immortality to one-up Freeza, not because Freeza is a threat to the universe, but because he wants to be the top dog and fight forever. He kills a whole village of innocent Namekians to get their Dragon Ball, and in fact, when everyone killed by Freeza's men is brought back to life, Vegeta's kills are not and not only does he point out why to the grieving Namekians, he does so in a very smug way, showing that he's proud of his unjustifiable murders. He doesn't kill Gohan and Krillin exactly because they're of use to him, and he absolutely does heavily wound Gohan, a child, before for no reason.

For all we know, Cell could go through the same growth if given the chance, Vegeta's character is basically completely opposite to how he was when he appeared, and it took a very long time for him to reach his current personality, something he's outright praised for in Battle of Gods.

I feel like we're talking past each other. Obviously Vegeta was evil for ages, but you can see slow but clear change through the whole time he's present. Like I said, what happened to the Saiyans irks him in his own way and that's clear early on. That Truck Driver was collateral damage, which is a step up from killing whole planets for funsies. By that point in the series he didn't care about other people's lives but wasn't arbitrarily slaughtering stuff for no reason anymore, heck, all the Z fighters hate his his guts but he doesn't have any particular bugbears for anyone other than Goku and has no designs on Earth, a place he was trying to blow up not long before. On Namek, when he steals the Dragonball from Krillen and Bulma and doesn't know Gohan nicked his he has absolutely no reason to let them live in his mind, he's a wish away from being unstoppable, but does anyway. Yeah kicking Gohan in the gut is an rear end in a top hat thing to do, but he could have outright killed him there and then instead.

The wider point is that you can see that progressive change that slowly drags Vegeta from being 'Genocidal fuckface who reveals in slaughter' to 'overtly prideful fuckface who's ego keeps making situations worse', briefly back to 'Genocidal Fuckface' and finally to 'Detached dad who constantly tries to hide his love for his family but occasionally blurts it out'.

Nothing about Cell has ever implied he'd do anything like that. All we've ever seen of him shows him drinking people horrifically, eating teenagers, bragging about being perfect, torturing the Z fighters and vindictively killing 16 to try and get a rise out of Gohan and trying to destroy the entire earth when he realizes he lost. Everything we know about his past implies no greater complexity than evil for evil's sake and wants to eat a couple of teenage robots. You could as easily say they should redeem Frieza.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
If I was writing DB I'd constantly make references to stuff like Garlic jr, Arlia, Princess Snake, Gohan's adventures with Robots, Dinosaurs and Orphans and, lord save us, Fake Planet Namek just to gently caress with people who care about canon.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

SirKibbles posted:

Just a coincidence/bad writing. Super's timeline of changing from 5 years to having Gohan get her pregnant pretty much right away makes things weirder. It's not like she'd help much in fights considering she just learned to fly like a day before Buu shows up. Fav part of that is still Videl getting pissed and breaking Spopovich's neck she didn't know he was basically immortal either she tried to kill that dude. Where is that character it's amazing how much different Android 18 vs Videl are as characters.

I'd like it if Hercule or Videl trained Pan just so we don't have so many Turtle school fighters. I miss that from dragonball :( where's my weird martial arts schools and combat tricks.

It annoyed me a whole lot for Videl, who is completely different in almost every way and so placid it hurts compared to her old self. But for 18 though I think it kind of makes sense, in Z she just came across as a bored teenager who didn't get any particular kick out of fighting in and of itself she was just killing time with near infinite power. When 17 was fighting Piccollo she clearly gives absolutely no shits about what was going on. In the intervening years she just grew up a bit and took on more responsibilities, she still has that ice cold demeanor and can throw a punch if the situation calls for it. A thing I love that Super carries over is how money seems to be a huge motivator for her compared to other characters.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Darko posted:

I like how 17 is apparently a near top tier fighter now due to training all this time. Nobody just bothered to pay him any attention.

If you guys want to know how humourless power levels can make people folks on reddit have been complaining about the last five episodes and how everyone so far should have been instantly killed by SSB Goku.

Also that 17 could trained enough to get this strong.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

StrifeHira posted:

Yamcha is the greatest hero of Universe 7.

Hey! I understand this reference!

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Funky Valentine posted:

Dead Zone - Gohan pisses on Krillin's head
World's Strongest - "ALMIGHTY SHENRON, MELT THIS loving ICE"
Tree of Might - Turles only reason for living being growing that loving fruit
Lord Slug - "And now for the next phase of my cunning plan!" *rips off ears*
Cooler's Revenge - Cooler being Freezer but hulked the gently caress out
Return of Cooler - The Big Ghetti star enable me to cheat death!
Super Android 13 - YEE-HAW I'M ANDROID 13, LOOK AT MAH TRUCKER HAT
Broly the Legendary Super Saiyan - KAKAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT
Bojack Unbound - Gohan beats the poo poo out of some pirates also Future Trunks is here because...?
Broly Second Coming - Trunks pisses on Broly's head
Bio-Broly - Let's just be happy Mr. Satan showed up
Fusion Reborn - Gotenks defeats Hitler
Wrath of the Dragon - That was a needlessly elaborate way to give Trunks a sword

I don't know if the abridged series is popular here, but their best stuff is ironically the movies.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

rare Magic card l00k posted:

You will all bow down to the PRINCESS OF ALL SAIYANS.

We've already seen Bulla.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
That episode was way more enjoyable than I expected.

Boats man.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Zzulu posted:

all of the dragonball anime sucks

Dragonball is better than Z and the best of all the series.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
The episode was meant to be a fun time adventure like Dragonball was originally where 17 and Goku work together to fight silly villains and have a comedic payoff. As a result we see a more human and humorous side of 17 who has mostly been threatening and serious in his other appearances, including the previous episode. If you rewatch the show in a year without the week long wait between episodes all building up to a major, yet to be seen event you probably won't mind the filler nearly as much and may appreciate the levity.

Jesus.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Man, what the gently caress is wrong with Toyotaro? He seems to really hate writing for the Zamasus. Black in the manga is an infinitely worse character than the anime version, apparently because Toyotaro decided to write his OC Do Not Steal instead of the actual character, and now Fusion Zamasu has a time limit he didn't have in the anime (because the Potaras went from "works forever for Gods" to "works forever specifically for Kaioshin, and Zamasu was never admitted as one") and lacks all of the incredibly flashy powers of his anime version in favour of...throwing blocks at Goku and Vegeta.

I don't get it. Shin and even Gowasu come across as better in the manga, so it isn't a hate for the Kaioshin as a race. He just really seems to dislike Zamasu specifically, despite being one of the highlights of Super as an anime. Or maybe he's just poo poo writing villains, considering how badly he wrote Hit too (who isn't a villain, but eh, final boss).

I sure am glad that panel space is used to confirm that Vegetto Blue is above Beerus in power though, despite this being obvious from Whis' earlier comments. And I sure am glad Trunks is so worthless in the manga that an untransformed Goku is a far better shield than him.

The more time passes, the more I'm sure Toyotaro is the kind of DB fan that's obsessed with power levels and must give explanations to everything. No fun allowed.

I don't read the manga, but that's pretty sad since Zamasu is like the closest Dragonball has gotten to a complex villain.

Your last sentence is funny to me since I often notice on reddit or elsewhere a lot of people seem to like the manga more precisely because way too many people are concerned with power levels and rigid canonical explanations in a series where one of the most important plot points is a shapeshifting pervert pig wishing for a hot girl's panties and where one of the most destructive villains ever is an oversized baby man made of bubblegum who turns people into chocolate.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 25, 2017

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Manatee Cannon posted:

super's baseball episode should prove that much at least

'Yamcha sucks' transcending cultural barriers is the best thing.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I literally can't think of any possible ways to make that arc good.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Maybe we should wait until we have more than 3 seconds of footage before making any assumptions on a new character.

Also people always complain that 18 is only motivated by money, but I don't know how they can look at the poo poo she pulled on Mr Satan during the Buu saga and conclude that that is a bad thing about her character.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
The main players who'd get the most out of it (Goku, Vegeta, Gohan) seem a bit preoccupied with trying to sort out a coherent team for the universe ending tournament/looking after a day old baby. Its also been repeatedly emphasized that wider team coherence and strategy is the name of the game rather than simple brute force. If the chamber can still only take two guys at a time its not going to be terribly useful.

Don't they have to stay in the chamber for an entire day before the door opens?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
The Italian version of Wired interviewed Toyotaro and he said something curious:

quote:

Q: Tell us something about the upcoming Dragon Ball Super arc.
A: I can only say this: do not think you already know the definitive teams for the upcoming Tournament of Power. Even if they have been already revealed.

Errrr... Yamcha hype?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Who will be replaced? Buu again? He already got some screentime in the preliminary round.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Fuego Fish posted:

It's totally going to be Android 18 because we can't have nice things, and she doesn't have any transformations.

Man, you know that would really annoy me somehow.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Fuego Fish posted:

Because out of all the characters who got introduced as women fighters and managed to stick around for longer than five minutes – Chi-Chi, Eighteen, Videl – only Eighteen has retained the ability to actually throw a punch. Chi-Chi got left behind long ago, Videl's gone full demure Yamato nadeshiko for whatever reason. It's why we're all so hype for our first Saiyan lady to show up, this show starves us for decent women characters and then it inevitably turns them into housewives.

I'm going to be optimistic and hold out hope that they'll realize that stripping away the only female character on the team (and who's been plastered all over the marketing), who herself is a massive fan favorite usually underutilized, in a saga where they're hyping up the introduction of other, competing women characters would be really, really bad optics.

Honestly I actually can see them getting rid of Vegeta quicker and I wouldn't mind that, or Buu like I said because there's some odd stuff going on with him and he's got a recent place in the sun. But that might not be enough to sail past the cape of Japanese sexism.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I don't think Gohan has much drive to imitate Goku. By the looks of things he really seems better off and happier being a dull nerd dad. The death defying scenarios he finds himself in seem to be mostly horrifically traumatic, watching friends and family being slaughtered and tortured by alien invaders or galactic tyrants while he's struggled to muster the courage to do anything about, and when he does he usually gets beaten within an inch of his life with the prospect that everything he's known will get annihilated a minute after, and all this before he's even able to grow facial hair. When he is effective its almost always when he's snapped and gone full on blood crazed psycho mode who reveals in the pain and terror of his foes even if it means drawing out things much longer than necessary, its never really stated but I suspect that's an aspect of himself he's extremely ashamed of.

When there aren't any threats he pretty much immediately slacked off on his training, even when his mom was less concerned about that sort of thing, he only got back into shape in Super after Frieza almost killed him (again) and he seems to be doing it more to responsibly protect his family rather than any intrinsic love of battle like Goku. The greatest extent that he enjoys fighting is more putting on the Great Saiyaman costume and fighting easy targets where nobody really gets hurt that make him look like a cool superhero.

Its one of the reasons I found it a bit annoying that people would complain that Super made Gohan a pussy before the current arc because it felt like a natural thing for his character to do (certainly more than Videl turning into a housewife) and it laid down a longer arc that's getting payoff now about how he feels the need the get back on top of his training if only to protect his wife and child and find a middle ground between spending all day in the Library and being dropped in a desolate wasteland with no preparation by a green monster man for a year to survive on his own before a fight to the death with super powered aliens.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 6, 2017

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Rutibex posted:

Saiyans must lead really easy lives if none of them ever got upset enough to go super before being showed how. It seems pretty trivial to do once you know it, if Frieza hadn't destroyed them they all would have all learned it.

Cabba has been stated to be the strongest Saiyan in that universe so far so its not that out there.

Besides, the same problem has always existed for the universe 7 Saiyans, especially when Goten and Trunks went Super with seemingly no effort or reason at all while they were still kids.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
It'd actually be kind of funny if they resurrected Frieza and he sees Beerus, Whis, Goku, Vegeta, Buu, Gohan and all these other people who can kick his rear end at this point and he's just like 'I hate all of your guts, but ok, I get it, I have no hope of killing you all, so I'll hold back my murder rage for a while since presumably you resurrected me yet again for a reason'.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Yeah, I'm actually kind of warming to it in a weird kind of way since it would such a different situation compared to how we've previously seen the character.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I forgot, and love, the way the Pride Troopers are basically just a good guy version of the Ginyu force.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Frieza's inclusion might be Beerus putting his foot down rather than a popular and unanimous decision among the whole team I suspect.

I'm sure Yamcha, Goten and Trunks will understand if its explained to them like that!

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Babe Magnet posted:

cell has tournament experience

Re: after ten minutes he said 'gently caress it!' and blew up the arena to because he didn't actually care about tournaments and just wanted to fight people to the death.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

The Bee posted:

Yeah, I'm really starting to wonder if Cell's Abridged portrayal is starting to stick in people's minds just as hard as Goku's abridged bad (even worse) parenting.

Yeah, I have to laugh at people going 'Jeez, why would they bring back that prick Frieza? He's petty, dangerous and everybody on the team hates him. Now Cell on the other hand...'.

At the very least Frieza has displayed a modicum of planning and foresight when he organised Sorbet to take down Goku if things went south, even if its dishonorable or whatever. Presumably running a giant space empire also took a certain amount of intelligence and people-skills, like the Ginyus at least seemed to be loyal out of more than just pure fear, and he was super powerful last time he met the gang.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Go hog wild and have Buu create a new race like in the videogames.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Momomo posted:

I feel like Frieza coming back just makes Resurrection F more pointless, not less, since they could've had all of that stuff happen right now.

In fairness, they probably wouldn't have bothered going for Frieza now if he didn't show off his fancy Golden form.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Why do people care about SS4 so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

bowmore posted:

I goku making gohan team leader is the most fatherly thing he's done so far

also i'm on episode 70 of dragonball, it rules

I like how its a rarely seen father son moment, and also a completely terrible but quintessentially Goku idea.

Seriously Gohan may have booksmarts, but he's never shown himself to be much of a team leader or great tactician. Whenever he does well in fights its because he goes full BLOOD RAGE mode. Piccolo and maybe even Roshi would be way better choices.

• Locked thread