Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Italy can probably be quite fun to play with, I really like how the national focuses helps you focus.

Takanago posted:

On those HOI4 national focus trees, doe anyone know what the difference between a dotted line and a solid line is?

It seems like with the dotted lines you have to finish both the previous national focuses while with the solid line you just need to finish one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yeah, from the sound of it though since wormholes are 2 way, you can "recall" a fleet by just opening a portal back to another system of yours, but you have to wait for them to charge up.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if there were researchable FTL radar stations so you can get alerts when someone is jumping into one of your systems.

Nothing real out of the ordinary with these styles of FTL but they sound good mechanically. I wonder if the game restricts you on which you can use based on Race or having to find the technology? Or if you just always have the option to choose between them?

Glad we're starting to get into some real gameplay stuff now, though it's going to make the wait even more painful.

I think they said that after you pick one your stuck with it for the rest of the game, so you will have to use different strategies depending on what you choose and what your rivals use. Which seems like a pretty cool and fun mechanic.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Rincewind posted:

I'm weirdly excited for the France dev diary next week. I kind of want my first HoI IV game to be a successful defense of France, although I'm horrible at games so it probably won't go very well.

Hah, me too, I figure that getting crushed by Germany will give some good insight into the mechanics of the game.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Groogy posted:

It just morphed into existence on Johan's computer one day and any attempt to touch it just resulted in a violent outburst and opening of demonic gates to the home realm of it.

Did you try to give it a good tumble?

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Some more HOI IV http://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive/v/29053519 , this time the dude Johan is playing against pumps out 20 completely untrained infantry divisions to trigger the anschluss in 1938 and Johan is just 200 days away from having fully motorized divisions.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Manket posted:

New Stellaris preview with gameplay vids:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/12/11/stellaris-a-fresh-take-on-the-4x-strategy-genre

Not a ton of new information, but it's always nice to see things in action.

- Slightly animated portraits, sweet.
- Using POPs from different races to colonize certain planet types, kewl.
- late game Physics Crisis about opening up a portal to an EVIL DIMENSION? :pcgaming:

Haha, there's a genocide button!

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
I'm starting to become more hyped for Stellaris than I am for HOI4 and when I have tried to play 4x games in the past I have only become bored while I have spent to much time playing HOI2 and HOI3.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

ArchangeI posted:

On the other hand he is really behind in other areas. It's 1940 and he is only just now getting Panzer IIIs online.

Yeah the dude that took over for him one week really screwed him over, since he was about to research Panzer IIIs becuase he had just got some national focus that would make the tech really cheap even though he was way ahead. Furthermore the guy who played for him instead started building a shitload of light tanks and added Grosstraktors to the panzer divisions.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
I dunno if it's the best idea to attack the Soviet Union with 150 divisions in October, the German doctrines all being researched by 1940 might pull him through though. It's also quite hilarious since Jakob's plan was to ally the Soviets :allears:

Pump it up! Do it! fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 27, 2016

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Not having to micromanage each planet and instead having sectors as vassals seems brilliant, the pop system also seems quite intriguing. The more I hear about Stellaris the better it sounds, I can hardly wait for it and HOI4!

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Tuskin38 posted:

I think I'm more hyped for Stellaris now then HOI4

I have been more excited for a few weeks, it just seems so good and finally a 4x game that I can enjoy after testing some and finding them lacking.

Have there been any mentions if there will be ideas like in EU4 or are you completely set up at the start?

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

V for Vegas posted:

Hmmmm. Not sure how a business that constantly pushes back releases is going to deal with quarterly profit reports. Gotta keep that share price going up!

Eh, I don't think there's much to worry about. Giving up a minority share of the company doesn't mean going full retard.

DrSunshine posted:

The real elephant in the room is -- are you guys gonna buy shares in it?
Absolutely, I live in Sweden and I see Paradox as a company with huge potential!

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Oberleutnant posted:

Shareholders are flighty, superstitious animals who get spooked at the slightest little thing and sell all their stock in a panic. Shareholders are trash, and once your company is public you essentially become a parent to the most useless, whining, retarded children ever and spend the rest of your life walking on eggshells and doing nothing unexpected that might cause them to throw a fit.

Have you ever owned stocks? You might describe some private investors while Paradox stocks will probably be bought up mostly by banks, investment firms and pension funds.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Tendronai posted:

http://www.pcgamer.com/watch-the-stellaris-pc-gamer-weekender-presentation/

40 minute presentation of a 'near complete build' of Stellaris just went up.

That link doesn't work for me, is it anywhere else?

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

tooterfish posted:

Some guy on reddit uploaded it to his google drive.
That's great!

Darkrenown posted:

I suspect there's an embargo until after GDC ends so there's not a mad rush to post everything mid-presentation, and that wasn't meant to be published yet.
Well the cat is already out of the bag and Johan did post about it on the forum but I guess I will just watch the copy.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Yeah after watching the video this really seem like a great change to the 4x genre, I will probably preorder as soon as it gets available since Paradox has earned my trust ever since the release of CK2. I also hope that one of the galactic invasions will be space aztecs.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Gort posted:

I'm thinking that the Industrial tree is going to be a first pick every time. It doesn't matter if you know how to make great CAS, or if you've gone communist or fascist - you're just not relevant if you don't have industry, and you're not going to get that in a timely fashion without the industrial tree.

Yeah, especially with two extra research slots at the end, I also imagine that they will start adding more national threes with each patch like they did with the national ideas in EU4.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
I wonder if there's a forum thread out there were they make fun of both the Paradox forums nationalists and these nonsense discussions by butthurt leftists. The fact that Paradox manages to upset both sides means that they're doing something right though.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

I'm still quite excited for HoI4 and it is looking very good, but I can't say that I was very impressed with the AI Chinas in the World War Wednesday stream (now on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeliuhVoUoI). It basically collapsed in under two years in the face of a very underprepared Japan. Daniel threw in tons of island garrisons (infantry formations not equivalent to full divisions both in lower quality of equipment and because they have less sub-units) and kept attacking all along the front, seemingly constantly not pausing at all from one attack to the other with the same unit. It reminded me a lot of how quickly the USSR folded against Germany in the previous stream (a Germany that had a really mismanaged economy/OOB because it went through three different players who just did all sorts of random things). I think AI China shouldn't be able to just eat Manchuria, but by all means should be able to throw up enough low-tier infantry to at least hold the line against Japan, which shouldn't be pulling off encirclements in low-infrastructure bad-terrain provinces in 1936 using basically just the starting army. I hope this stuff is still more indicative of the fact that we are two whole months away and that their build kept changing from one video to another.

It was a good video but I also hope there is quite a lot of balance left to be done, since right now and with the previous playthrough with Germany doctrines and good equipment seem too strong. Since even if China has poo poo equipment Japan shouldn't be able to crush them in two years with under a 100,000 casualties. However the thing is that Daniel is also the guy at Paradox that is the best at the game, I think he said that he has more playtime than there is time left to release. Therefore balancing according to how he plays might be quite foolish.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

There's some info on the PI page:
https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/en/
some is only in swedish though.

For odd legal reasons I can't talk about stuff or link to stuff directly.

Ah gently caress, I thought the IPO would be before Stellaris and was planning on making some really good money. However the fact that it's the 31st of may gives me hope for making some good money on HOI4! What the hell is that weird Pepins thing that you're using though?

Pump it up! Do it! fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 26, 2016

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
So I just came home from a company presentation where Fredrik Wester and the CFO of Paradox presented the company to potential investors and now I am completely reassured as both an investor and as a customer. Fredrik said that they weren't going to show any projections because those are extremely hard to predict. Furtheremore, he said that they weren't going to engage in quarterly capitalism but instead grow over time and that some quarters would be good while other would be bad but the market would get used to it. Overall Fredrik seems extremely competent and as he said if he just wanted to make quick money he would just sell the company now instead of keep owning the largest part of the company after the IPO.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Nothing in Steam right now, I guess they're still updating the page.

But they just showed a new trailer on Twitch and as per the stream, the differences are:

The Field Marshal edition includes expansion pack #1 but I don't know if that (plus the few extras that really make no difference) is really worth an extra $45...

According to the shop it's the first two expansion packs.
https://www.paradoxplaza.com/hearts-of-iron-iv-field-marshall-edition

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

I've said it before but I just think it was weird to not give Stellaris a little more time in the oven when Pdox was launching a major title a month later. Most of what people complained about would've probably been fixed if it got a Q4 release IMO.

I feel like people got way too over invested in it though. Like it's cool a good chunk of the dev team posts here but if they can endure code reviews they can ensure shitposting, and if you hated it $40 isn't that much in the grand scheme of things and if it is such a colossal dent in your disposable income you should probably wait for a sale or consider a cheaper hobby.

Well Paradox did go public today and and opened 36 percent above the signing price, a lot of the hype for the IPO have came from the Stellaris sales and expectations for HOI IV. Which makes me quite happy as a stockowner but displeased as a fan since it feels quite cynical.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Angry Lobster posted:

Entertainment value aside, who's the best streamer/youtuber to learn how to play EU4 well?
Arumba just started a tutorial series, even though he gets a lot of complaints I find him quite good and I like how much content he puts out since I haven't been able to play Paradox games for the past several months.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1DesDCb2WU

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Paradox's year end report. I'm gonna chalk up all of that profit to the Stellaris Leviathans DLC, don't mind if I do. :v:

Pretty darn good, being a stockowner in Paradox means that I can buy even more paradox games!

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Alchenar posted:

Fredrik's CEO report should be sent out to everyone who applies for a job at Paradox. It's just brimming with leadership and charisma and is everything you'd want your boss to be.

Before the IPO I was at a event where Fredrik introduced the company and he was really great on stage and extremely committed to not cashing out and instead thinking long term.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Anyone know what kind of lifecycle Paraodox expects for games such as CK2? I just wonder at what point where they will decide that the DLCs are enough and that they should just focus on developing a new game.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I'm sure we'll see some different mechanics in CK3 (or whatever game Paradox plans to make) but I think the devs have regarded the slowly expanding map as a success. I wish the main area of focus was China and its neighbors, but I can't see that happening anytime soon!

Wouldn't surprise me if Paradox did a new Asia focused IP seeing how Asia is their primary focus for expansion or at least it was before the IPO according to the presentation by Fredrik Wester which I attended. At least it seems that way since Paradox are working on getting their games on Tencent's plattform and Tencent owns about 5 % of Paradox.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Another good quarter for Paradox! https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/en/interim-report-january-june-2017/ Also some hints that they might announce a new game during gamescon next week.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Taear posted:

I wonder what fudging they'll do for the places that we don't really know anything about and who will get really loving mad about it?

Making the tribes based in Sweden overpowered and having more detail than Rome.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Dev Diary out, not news but thank good they won't keep the tedious trade mechanics.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/imperator-development-diary-1-28th-of-may-2018.1101600/

Also there's really a shitload of factions, quite a massive difference from EU Rome which was so much wasteland.

Pump it up! Do it! fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 28, 2018

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Drone posted:

Any goons with Paradox stock since they went public? Would be interested to see what their quarterly/yearly financial reports say.

The stock has been increasing like crazy this year so have been quite fun owning them! All the financial reports are on the Paradox website.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Greece looks like a proper thunderdome if I ever saw one, these Dev diaries where they explain the starting situation is much more exciting. Epirus seems like a very fun start to learn about the game.

Pump it up! Do it! fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 5, 2018

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
I think Imperator looks like a great game and have already preordered but the army sizes are looking absolutely ridiculous in the dev clashes. Rome with Italy, Parts of North Africa and parts of Gaul is rocking 500k troops and 900k in manpower in 150 B.C. I think the game would be more balanced if they cut the army sizes/manpower to one third.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

The Rome player in the dev clash has said that actually he has literally hundreds of thousands of mostly light infantry doing nothing but keeping revolts down in specific provinces and beating up barbarians.

The real problem is that the only restriction on raw army numbers is having enough gold and he's ultra powerful compared to everyone else, also raw army numbers are actually not all that meaningful because the difference in effectiveness between expensive and weak unit types is absolutely huge.

If you're wealthy enough to have lots of troops and you're not suffering significant military losses then there's no difficulty in having both plenty of peacekeeping troops and a huge army to war with because you don't pay any manpower upkeep for armies in the field and there's no force limits unlike in EU.

Yep, if they balance according to multiplayer clashes they have in the office they definitely should try to balance it a bit. Interesting that there is no force limit, I didn't know that. I wonder what the reasoning was for removing the force limit.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

I was watching Shenryyr play the dev game thing and the only thing I said the whole time was "Imperator: Civil War Simulator". He looked at chat and said "I agree, Chomp" and then when the devs were talking to the players at the end he said to them "I think you misnamed your game. It should be 'Imperator: Civil War Simulator' " and there was an awkward silence.

lol

From that dude it seemes self caused though, might not be the best idea to have "bleeding them dry" province edict when you want a happy populace. Also quite funny that in the dividing the spoils stream Caledonia is now the most technologically advanced are in the game since the player there turned everyone in his country into citizens.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

trapped mouse posted:

I'm not too familiar with the systems yet (seeing as, well, the game isn't actually out yet) but wouldn't this leave you pretty broke with very little manpower?

Pretty much, his manpower is absolutely poo poo but due to being a tribal society he have clan retinues with their own manpower pool and cost and thanks to the tech advantage he can beat up much larger enemies. Katz also did something similar in the dev stream.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Drone posted:

A few people are complaining of absolutely poo poo game performance too (like, in terms of the game actually running).

Interesting, I wonder if it's because of the characters multiplying or what the cause is. Since I wonder if they have anything like the CK2 plague to kill characters off.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
One thing I don't understand is why we can't see what the different buildings will do in the provinces like in Eu4, hopefully this will be updated in the first fix. Otherwise the game looks great and I am very hyped!

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
If I'm not misremembering they mentioned early in the CK2 development about having Kings being vassal dukes under other Kings and that interesting dynamic, like the English were in France for most of the time period. However, this never happened in CK2 and I'm wondering if that is something they want to implement in CK2, since it could lead to some interesting gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
I wonder how the feeling is at Paradox corporate HQ regarding Bannerlord. Ending the publishing relationship probably made sense in 2014 and the years after when it looked like vaporware but it must be quite bittersweet after this massive release on Steam.