Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

This looks like a cool and chill game where you can kill some cool and chill rats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

To be fair payday has the random cards for weapon mods but that problem has mostly been solved through the daily challenges, and also goonmod.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm glad there's nothing preorder exclusive that affects gameplay since I don't have much time for games right now so I'll be waiting on this game for a bit. The videos I saw looked really strong though, I haven't played anything that scratched quite the same itch as left 4 dead in awhile and didn't expect left 4 rats to come out of nowhere and be the next one.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I thought I read those were just cosmetic

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Are there any checkpoints in the middle of levels where you restart if you lose? L4D had 4-5 parts of each campaign so if you lost you were only losing 10 minutes tops, but the campaigns in this seem almost as long as a L4D campaign but with no checkpoints.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

How well will a 560 Ti run it

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah it's a bit weird how public betas are often treated as demos/a chance to play early so they have a fraction of the content of the full game, when they still need to test all of the levels. I won't have a chance to play for awhile, maybe 2 months so it won't affect me but they will probably end up with more bugs in the maps that aren't in the beta when the game launches.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Was watching a stream and they heard a patrol of stormvermin coming, so they all went and hid in a house for a minute until the patrol had gone by. Really cool that you can do that.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Red Mundus posted:

For some reason when I start a level everything is fine but after awhile while playing the level my performance gets worse and worse.

I even tried just standing in one place in a level and around 5-10 minutes later performance gets worse for seemingly no reason. Not a huge issue since it's beta but man, it's sad I can't enjoy it right now.

Sounds like a memory leak. How much RAM do you have?

Anyone tried running this on an i5 2500k (4 cores, 3.3 Ghz) and can report how well it performs?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Games workshop is clearly in trouble as seen by the way they're furiously handing out their IPs to anyone who will make some money for them. See: The goddamn E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy devs of all the people making a space hulk game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It is, but not for the reasons games workshop thinks it is.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Trailers don't count until they have some gameplay to them.

That doesn't matter. What matters is there's some sort of hilarious and completely unfitting hip hop music in the trailer. This is encouraging and means it will be incomprehensible in the same way as E.Y.E., which is really the best way for that dev to advertise their games to me at this point.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

For context

It does look pretty cool, it just seems ambitious and therefore worrisome. I'll cross my fingers that it's not a Bad Game.

E.Y.E. was incredibly ambitious for the size of its developer, and also featured the line "gently caress you! You're the hobo!"

Whatever they do to space hulk deathwing, it will be funny.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I now own this videogame and am excited to have this happen to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8IU0qxgSco

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The basic gameplay in this is so fun, you swing this giant hammer and it goes CHUNK and recoils off of a rat's now-shattered head and you think "WOAH! That rat just died!!"

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What are some good graphics settings for a 560 ti to keep the frame rate above 30 but hopefully not make everything look terrible at the same time? I'd like a bit better performance than I have with everything on medium but I don't know if it's realistic to get it any better without just putting everything on minimum and playing an N64 game.

Also I noticed there's a range stat on the guns. Is that just an accuracy thing telling you how far away you'll be able to realistically hit rats or does it actually lower the damage after a certain point.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Just had a rat ogre spawn out of thin air right in front of me as I was trying to snipe a hookrat dragging someone away :thumbsup:

I'm seeing some serious issues with the way this game spawns things.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

This rogre got stuck in the wall somehow and couldn't get out, we didn't even have bombs that could have knocked it in there so I'm not sure how it happened.

xthetenth posted:

There's nothing like wiping because of rats falling on your head.

I found out about that route when I tried the jump, got pushed onto the edge, and got picked up just in time to get landed on by a stormvermin which threw me out into the instadeath water.

Good times.

This exact thing happened to me the first time I played this level. There were two bots and they jumped after me and within 5 seconds we were all hanging from the edge.

Night10194 posted:

That finale isn't even hard! It's just fun! Why the hell are they such cowards?

We got dumped on by six Stormvermin, two Globadiers, and a Runner while fighting off the horde in that finale and it was great fun beating them and getting out with a grimoire and tomes. Why would they not want to actually play the game?

It's not just pubbies either, the first level I played with goons was on hard horn of magnus and they made me go up and use the horn by myself while they all hid in the ammo room below the event (they were levels 25-55 IIRC and I was under 10). Well done team

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I had no crashes in 13 hours of play, just noticed there's more graphics settings if you scroll down and turned off AA, motion blur, SSAO and light shafts and then crashed within 10 minutes. Going to try turning them on one at a time and see if one of those options being off might somehow cause crashes.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Was just in a public group on hard horn of magnus that made me be a loving sacrifice AGAIN except this time I was kruber with my new green mace and shield and I just lasted by myself with 1/3 of my max health the whole 5 minutes while they hid under the event like babies, all 10-30 levels higher than me. Someday I'll find a group that will actually play the loving game.

Admittedly I was very lucky that no specials came after me.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Mordja posted:

Me and a buddy were playing our first Nightmare on Horn, with pubbies, three tomes, one grimoire. It was all good until we reached the end and they start talking about who should be the sacrifice in chat. I say "gently caress that" in Skype and jump down, and my friend follows suit, forcing them to all to actually fight the swarm or risk losing those precious books. I plant myself on the stairs and get yelled at to hang back on the beam. The joke of it is that the elevator arrives and I jump directly into it from that balcony while the pubs get tarpitted trying to go after a tome my friend dropped when he died seconds before. They go down, so does the elevator, and I make one mad dash to the carriage, alone.

I dunno, I think I got a green or something.

Yeah if you can get 1 other person to jump down with you then it pretty much forces them to go with you, but other than trying to nudge somebody off I didn't have that option this time. Luckily I bumped into a fabulous group not long after that and ran a lot of missions on hard.

Some random hard waterside with no cursed dice somehow gave me a blue sword and shield for kruber, with effects +2 stamina and more power on pushes. So that's definitely my melee weapon for him taken care of for some time.

e: We need a new thread tag

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Nov 8, 2015

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Skandranon posted:

Well, guess that's it guys. Time to close the forum, some goons were less than ideal towards another goon.

People bring that up in response to posts like this

But Not Tonight posted:

it just baffles me that people insist on pubbing this game when there's almost always someone to group up with in cts/chat

to each their own I guess

Anytime someone brings up dumb stuff that happened in a public game, someone else will make this post like clockwork. Problem is playing with people in CTS doesn't suddenly make all of these problems go away, just maybe less likely. I was the one drythe mentioned that had to be a sacrifice on horn of magnus, which didn't ruin my day or whatever but I find it seriously dumb when it's part of the team's plan for somebody to have to to alt-tab for 5 minutes while everyone else hides. It's annoying because I really enjoy that level but people do the spergiest poo poo for the ending for no reason. Is the ending really that much harder than on any other level like engines of war or wizard tower?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Last night I had to stop playing when it got incredibly laggy/rubberbandy (everything's position would update once about every 2-3 seconds) for my connection to two separate hosts, but my general connection speed was actually just fine. You'd hope there's not an active connection to their servers while already in a game but I dunno. For once it didn't look like the problem was on my end at all.

Hopefully they can get all their sever problems sorted out soon but after what this dev did with lead and gold, I'm not optimistic.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

elfplayers.jpg

I got a blue set of pistols for my witch hunter and they're powerful enough to bodyshot a clan rat on hard. They also have a -40% spread effect. Feels so awesome running around and blasting away a rat with every single shot. I wish you didn't need to get lucky to get this kind of gear but at least it's super fun to use when you actually do get it.

If nothing bad happens to the game like server problems or updates that ruin it or whatever I will probably be playing it for a long time. Like most multiplayer games it's no fun with the wrong group, but when you have a nice team it is awesome.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Fine. I'll drink it :colbert:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Something about the elf just doesn't feel right to me, I've only played a few games with her and I still only have a white longbow and green sword/dagger with a basically nonexistent effect but I can never hit anything with the longbow and when I do it doesn't do nearly as much damage as the dwarf's or witch hunter's crossbow. Then her melee weapons have never felt as effective as anyone else's of the same quality.

For some reason zooming in for charged shots (which are the only thing that does enough damage with the longbow) also seems to drop my frame rate pretty consistently which makes it really hard to hit things. The pistols don't zoom so I don't have that problem with them.

Of course I don't really mind having the elf be my least favorite character because she's terrible and I hate her and never want her in any of my games. With the other 4 characters it's just an enjoyable romp through the rat apocalypse, when the elf is there nobody gets to have any fun before she shuts it down with some dumbshit line about how much better she is than everyone else (ironically before the elf player dies because the elf player is usually bad, especially if they're me).

Actually can you mod this game. Can you replace all of the elf's lines with a foghorn sound.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Roger is a bit of a jackass really.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

gently caress the ROW posted:

I died like a million times as the crusader, although it seems like I was crushing mad rats... not enough blocking? Not enough swiping? What am I doing wrong?

You want to stay near your team and constantly look around for rats that might come from behind so you only have to worry about fighting what's in front of you. If rats get close to you before you can swing then do a shove (attack while blocking). Alternatively if you have some space, some weapons like the two handed hammer or the shield have charge attacks that are great at crowd control.

Just assume that due to lag, if you and a rat swing at the same time you will end up taking damage, so prioritize shoving/knocking rats over before swinging at them. But watch your stamina and use dodges too so that you don't have to rely solely on shoves.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

xthetenth posted:

On the other hand ha ha gently caress you I'm going to grab you from ten feet away with a six foot pole is a bit messed up.

Even without this they are the most bullshit special, once they get into hook range (which is a very weird and nondeterminate point) unless you have the ability to burst them down in an instant such as with a perfect handgun shot which you already have drawn and aimed, there is no reliable way to kill them without getting hooked and having to get saved by team. Who are probably tied up with the horde the packmaster snuck through because they're also the least visually-distinct special in a crowd of ordinary rats. I've stabbed one in the head twice with a rapier and that didn't stun it for even a moment, and shooting it while it's dragging someone doesn't slow it down or make it drop your teammate until it suddenly dies.

As it is they're arguably the most dangerous special (maybe this changes on nightmare and up I dunno) because they feel completely unable to be controlled, while gutter runners get knocked around very easily, stormvermin get pushed like everything else, and gunners and gas rats have to stay very still to really do anything. Packmasters should be able to be staggered by more attacks.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Abandoned Toaster posted:

Not to mention in terms of audio spawn cues, while Gutter Runner gets a creepy echoing whisper, Globadier gets a droning hornblast, Ratling Gunner gets a clanky, grinding whirr, and Roger gets a nice loud roar, I can't recall what Packmaster gets other than a very muted skulls clanking together that you can't hear over the sounds of a horde and sounds a lot like your own armor/trinkets rattling. So hey, when any of the others spawn I can hear it and I'll keep an eye out. Now let me just attack this horde in front of us and- oh I guess there was a Packmaster behind that sea of rats that grabbed me and I didn't know it.

I knew I was forgetting something, this is the other reason why they'll gently caress you over more than any other special, because you can't even prepare for them like the rest. In fact I'm not sure I've even heard characters even shout about them before they've grabbed someone or are about to anyway, while with other specials your character calls them out pretty well ahead of time even if you don't hear them. I may just not be listening well enough but that's been my experience sof ar.

They're like the worst parts of the smoker and jockey combined, except with the extra feature that you can't easily shoot the special (both the jockey and smoker were usually pretty visible while they had someone grabbed, the jockey especially). Furthermore in L4D you could shove the person being moved and it would release them, but that's not the case here and the packmaster moves so fast while dragging someone that you're lucky to be able to even catch up through the ordinary rats. You also had goddamn assault rifles in L4D, while missing your snipe with one of warhammer's handguns is painful.

Its just not a reasonable enemy.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Apparently there's some dumb loving glitch in Garden of Morr where you can jump on top of a building, walk across the sky, and skip all the way to the chain breaking section.

Nobody actually wants to play this game, apparently.

Was in a public game earlier where someone was trying to show how to do something like this on the white rat. Apparently after getting the grimoire at the beginning there's some silly series of jumps you can do to skip a bunch of the level. I didn't see all of it before I left, but apparently there's a spot where you can fall into a roof and be unable to escape so there's a bit of karma there. Of course I almost can't blame them for wanting to skip the white rat it's so unfun.

Horn of magnus and garden of morr are cool and fun levels though, why would you want to skip them. Especially the ending to magnus, people are so goddamn determined to never actually play it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Have people figured out which enemies count as "man-sized" for the effect to instantly kill a man sized enemy? I got a 7.5% chance to instakill on a blue rapier and it would be awesome if commanders counted.

e: Looked it up and people say it counts for everything but roger. However there is also apparently an effect with a super low chance to instakill everything including roger :pwn:

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Nov 11, 2015

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

All of that (patch notes + DLC plans) looks great although I'm not sure I like the idea of them adding higher tier loot and making the game more dependent on what gear you have over skill.

Two other things: If they're adding a mode with no crosshair then they need to have actual ironsights on ranged weapons because right now you have to depend on the crosshairs to know where you're shooting even when aiming, and if they're adding a solo mode then they need to change the design of specials so they aren't an instant game over if you ever let a packmaster exist for more than a second.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Skandranon posted:

If you guys played this game more like L4D and didn't expect to get great loot, you'd enjoy it more.

Yeah I find it weird when people criticize this game for not having enough loot progression or the right kind of progression or whatever and then bring up left 4 rats in the next sentence, because that game had absolutely no progression at all. You played a campaign, you had fun, that was it. If you play left 4 rats to just shoot some rats and have fun with buddies you will get more out of it. It does make the game last longer to get something for beating a level and it sucks when losing at the very end means you get nothing at all. But you're not going to have fun if all you care about is a dice roll and not, you know, playing the drat game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Snatch Duster posted:

then loving exploit/cheese the game until you get the items you want/need to play the game on the real mode, nightmare or cata.

Thats why I did BP cheese because I wanted all the decent loot so I can actually play the game on challenging difficulty

BUTNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I want to poopsock loving hard ramparts or sewers for whites then turn those into greens then turn those into blues to get my oranges.

loving idiots imo

EDIT: second option, git gud and just do nightmares in whites. It is absolutely possible and fun with two grims.

If you wanted to play on a difficulty that would be a challenge then why did you think you had to get better gear that would make it less of a challenge

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I had some complaints with the bots but they were ridiculously good at controlling rats if you gave them a shield. And that was good since it's one of the most important roles a team needs to fill but one that not every player probably wants to do themselves.

I have seen them pick up tomes but you have to watch them because they might drop the tome for a healing item and then not pick up the tome again. Now if the bots could know how to pick up potions and use them at the right time they would be even better. Not sure I want them to learn how to pick up and throw bombs though.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Snatch Duster posted:

Gear is pointless, but quality gear makes playing on nightmare/cata possible.

You make no sense.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Heh, looks like some of you guys just haven't experienced ratgame on the real difficulty for hardcore players. What does it feel like to realize this whole time you thought you were killing rats and having fun...when you were actually playing a hollow and watered-down game for lesser players?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The difficulty the developer intended you to play is the one locked behind hours of self-imposed grinding an exploit for gear to artificially make it possible (oh but the gear is pointless somehow).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

^ I'm wondering this too since I have some % chance things and they will be very good if one swing can roll the % chance for every rat it hits but not so good if it can only trigger once per swing.

Mr E posted:

So should I buy this game or not, I'm confused

Ignore everything posted on the last page. It's a super fun game where you can chill out and shoot some chill rats with your buddies.

I've had a lot of fun public games so far too, maybe it gets worse on nightmare difficulty and up but on normal and hard difficulty there's some fine games to be had even if your friends aren't online.

Snatch Duster posted:

Lot of goons ITT mad about how people enjoy video games.

:ironicat:

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 11, 2015

• Locked thread