Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I managed to get through the first level and I do mean 'managed'. We were literally at the escape wagon when the game bugged the hell out and restarted the entire scenario.

The game loving rules though, hopefully they have this fixed for open beta because I want this to do well. The first level alone loving nailed that Mordheim look, possibly way more than the actual Mordheim game is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Bussamove posted:

Test ran Witch Hunter and Bright Wizard in the first mission, found both awesome in different ways. WH's ability to fire off a pistol with his sword out or to never stop shooting all of the guns was rad, but so was throwing out big pillars of fire. My only gripe with BW was that the venting mechanic wasn't explained at all and I took a lot of unnecessary ticks of damage venting too little charge before I realized what was happening, but that was me not paying attention.

Game is rad, basically. :black101:
Yeah I have no idea how that works. Your staff starts with zero charge, then when you hit max charge you start to...overcharge? And you can vent that overcharge at the cost of health but why would you want to since there is a ton of shots before you max out your overcharge gauge and, I guess, either stop being able to fire entirely or blow up? If the class works anything like in the Warhammer MMO being overcharged would increase damage but there's no visual indication of this.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I imagine the open beta will bring more people in. Also like L4D/Payday this game is gonna need dedicated groups to do the really hard stuff for the best loot, so the Steam group will definitely see some use.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yeah it's like two bucks from keysites.

On the one hand the current beta window ends tomorrow, the open beta begins some time real soon, and the game comes out in less than a month.

On the other hand the game is fun and you can just skip going to starbucks one day or whatever.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Can anyone talk about the loot they got for winning? Is it all just straight up plus-or-minus stats in there or can it change the way a character plays.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
My one worry is the game won't ship with many levels and we won't see many as paid DLC either. Payday 2 maps are reasonably small, usually a bank or a building of some kind, L4D and Vermintide are long in comparison.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Tokubetsu posted:

It's shipping with 13 levels. Throw difficulty options and loot on top I think we'll be fine until (hopefully?) DLC starts trickling in.
I didn't know that, that's definitely encouraging. I assume all 13 are part of the same campaign?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
"Please make games to draw attention to our amazing setting we just blew the gently caress up and replaced with Medieval Space Marines" - Games Workshop, to videogame developers, 2015

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Game is still cool and good, come hang out in the mumble channel, we need more for games.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Also you want to go a little slower because there are patrols of extremely strong Stormvermin that march through the level, specifically designed to gently caress up the unwary/unlucky.

There are definitely respawn points but they're not rooms, the Skaven just leave you hogtied on the ground. :v:

Great runs with goons tonight, we did all three levels out of order so I guess the Plot Immersion was kind of broken but we were too busy killing rats to care. Someone got a cool flaming sword and I got an axe-and-shield combo that made rats fly back a dozen yards when you bashed them, good stuff.

Then we tried Hard mode and got our faces absolutely pushed in.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Tiler Kiwi posted:

There was a post on the steam forum from a dev that went "yeah we are doing post release stuff"; the 30 dollar price tag was meant to get as broad a base as possible for future dlc.
Well they have a decent shot at that now because it's #1 on the Steam store. :)

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Speaking of difficulty I mentioned this in the group I was just in: They probably expect you to do the campaign on normal at least once, and you'll have minimum 13 upgrades/sidegrades from doing each mission and more than likely 5-6 more from levelling. So by the time you hit Hard it'll probably be easier than just wading in with basic white gear.

Not that it isn't doable right now of course. There were more than a few nailbiting moments in that hard Supply and Demand we just did though. :v:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

That's a cursed die, three tomes and a grimoire, fffffuuuCKKKkkk yoooUUUUuuuu.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Al Borland posted:

Some kind of random daily or something should fix that.
This is a super-good idea and you should non-ironically suggest it via whatever forum the devs are watching.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Kegslayer posted:

I'm kind of surprised that they're not releasing a reskinned Warhammer Quest as a board game tie in.
Games Workshop never miss a chance to miss a chance.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
If you're really interested in the long conversation there is a 'Games Workshop Deathpool' thread here which has been going on for a very long time now. In its depths it has anecdotes, data and quite often actual company investor reports that detail how bizzare and out-of-touch with actual business practises Games Workshop truly are, as well as years of Games Workshop fans venting about the company they onced loved telling them to eat poo poo.

If you grew up in the United Kingdom in the 80s or 90s before videogames were a cultural juggernaut, and you liked minatures, painting, wargaming or just generally nerdier hobbies, then GW were the absolute undisputed masters and it was a generally very welcoming hobby (stores run by fans, givaways, tournaments and a good atmosphere for kids etc). It was always expensive but not ruinously so. Then somewhere in the late 90s/early 2000s something happened (I think something about the old founders who were all bearded wargamers rotated out or retiring, replaced by accountants or something?) and they just started gouging the absoute gently caress out of their fans while shutting down the outreach programs they did have like tournaments with comped prizes or providing gear to stores for painting/gaming classes, as well as refusing to acknowledge any kind of change in the industry or technology.

Like I said it's a long conversation. It ends with the answer that GW has run into that weird place the anime industry is at where they are increasingly catering to a small percent of fans who will pay huge premiums for their minatures and paints, even as other companies who are not explicitly hostile to their buyers have risen up to steal market share and loyalty. Kickstarter exists now and some fantastic stuff is coming out of that, and companies like Mantic who make Kings of War in which you are free to use your old Warhammer models.

Do not give GW money.

Vermintide is great. Can't wait for friday!

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Game's back up by the way.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

SlyFrog posted:

How robust is this? I'm basically wondering about replayability, and whether it will be a game with legs.

I know that there is a random loot system, but is it deep with a ton of items like a Diablo? Or will you pretty much have every character kitted out in what you want in 10-20 hours?
One of the first free DLCs will deal specifically with 'endgame' items. Until then there's a whole bunch of weapons for each character and a whole bunch of modifiers for each of them. Getting the right items with the right runes will take a while.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Turtlicious posted:

So it's been a few days, how does this game seem to you guys? What's the map variety like?
The game seems evenly split between 'showcase' levels like the Horn of Magnus, Wizard's Tower and Gardens of Morr which have real setpieces and a great presence, and shorter ones like Blackpowder and Supply & Demand that are cool enough on their own but don't have the same setpieces or grandeur of the former. The variety kind of suffers from being set entirely in one city and they're all universally dark and gloomy, but there's no danger of getting any of the levels confused. If this was priced at £35 I'd have expected more but at £20 and with DLC confirmed in the pipeline I've got no complaints.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I came within inches of clearing Challenge Floor 9 with my Awoken Shiva. Had it in the bag but a skyfall turned my four-orb red combo into a five-orb red combo and left him at 10%. gently caress U skyfall. t:mad:

edit; Hey wow this post does not belong in this thread! Whoops!

Pierson fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 27, 2015

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
that's Skaven as gently caress

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
People are trying to find easy and exploitable ways to finish levels with the minimum effort and time but the devs have been on-point about fixing their mistakes so far.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Two hundred new posts in the Vermintide thread, did a big patch just get announced? I know the game was fun but going through a content drought while the devs ported it to consoles, did the rains come at last?

VVV I played before any DLC was released basically. The game was fun but had real problems and I had other stuff probably. So it goes. :v:

Pierson fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Nov 28, 2016

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Every single game I've tried to join on Hard (I'm still fairly low-level with bad gear) has been the same thing: Horn of Magnus, just past the gate event, with half the team already dead as I load in. Are pubs just really bad at this game or is it like Diablo 3 and all the actual competent players are on a higher difficulty level and only the dregs play Normal/Hard?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Is that based off a true story?
Probably, Nexus drama is whack.

Thanks to goons for those two games just now, poo poo was fun. Was the weapon our dwarf friend was slinging around (that appeared to also spit fire?) the new Warpick? Because that was pretty nutso.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
What's a good weapon to pair up with the dwarven greataxe? It seems to be a similar "it can't hit much but what it does hit stays dead" weapon like the glaive/WH axe, with a sweeping decent charge attack for the hordes. My only ranged weapon for good dwarf pal so far is a grudgeraker and I'm not sure what situations that thing is actually good for.

I really need to pay attention to quests now because yeesh you really start to burn through materials fast when it's time for rerolling perks and percentages. I just got the aforementioned greataxe from a Nightmare Magnus but the perks don't feel so great.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I assume if I abandon a Quest and pick up a new one, my progress will not transfer over? I'm about to finish my first Quest and it's a Swiftbow I don't particularly care for, and the Greatsword up today looks real nice.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Speaking of whom what difficulty can the the AI handle, realistically? Normal is fine, it feels like they could manage Hard if you gave them good weapons and trinkets/perks that don't rely on item management. Nightmare above though I can't see them doing it without half the tricks players use.

Also does the game take levels into account when matchmaking, and does matchmaking use a different player pool from the actual server browser? It feels like most of my successful Hard/Nightmare runs come from manually searching via the browser rather than just letting matchmaking do its thing.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Plus the meaty thunk of the thing just bouncing off a single unlucky rat's head is just super satisfying in general.

Don't look at me like that.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I'M GONE ALL DAY THIS IS TERRIBLE
Get a goon to log into your account, then change your password.

I wonder what tomorrow's gift will be because this one makes up for all those green weapons and then some.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Tome dice have a 2/3 chance of showing a face, versus 1/3 for regular dice and 1/2 dice you find in the level They're all just better chances at loot in exchange for taking away your item slots and health.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 25, 2016

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is the red mace-and-shield quest that's up today as crazy-good as it looks?

edit it's The Truncheon and Triumph (Killing Blow, Off-Balance and Improved Guard).

Industrial Meat Package posted:

I also don't really understand the mechanics of the game but I've only played 4 rounds, suspect things will become more apparent. It's kind of hard for me to see stuff.
Watch some videos about how the melee system works (a dude in this very thread does great ones) because it's way more complex than it seems at first and you will get bodied hard if you just swing away wildly. I'm not gonna go so far as to compare it to Dark Souls but it's kind of similar in that choosing to swing is a commitment that leaves you exposed and you gotta know what your weapons can do, how far they reach and what they can penetrate before stopping.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Dec 26, 2016

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Lunethex posted:

No, and that is the very frustrating thing about it for a lot of people.

Also is anyone actually going to be on and playing tonight? I need a guinea pig for 2 particular clips
What time? I need to redeem myself after firebombing my entire team at the bridge on Chain of Fire.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I really wish you could save up keys for the board because I'm about to finish my 10-key yellow bag of herbs (or whatever the globadier-reduction trinket is called) and now I'm gonna end up wasting a whole bunch of keys before something else good appears I just know it.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Reinstalling.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Zephro posted:

I am excited for this upcoming Video Game
Your first mistake.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
For a moment I thought the blurb said that Stormfiends were "a hilarious combination of bio-engineering and sadistic techno-magic" and I prefer it that way tbh.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I mean it's still a good game and a bunch of people play it, you didn't throw your money into the void.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The grimoires this time around seem like half environmental puzzles about finding a way to blow up a wall using common sense (good) and half jumping puzzles involving lamps and pixels (bad).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
1d4chan is the best way to experience Games Workshops's horrible decisions I've found.

• Locked thread