Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Devils have to replace their masks as they wear out sometimes, so there exists a mechanism for proper transfer of identity.

Only if devils actually have an identity and not just a facsimile of one papering over the chaos of the Hot Black Flame, a genuine possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
'Why would you ever think it meant master of cats, cats can't have masters you idiot.'

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I went and looked myself and WOW that's astonishingly worthless, just WOW.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Looks like that's actually the wrong side for Eye-Mutilation-Time. Very well might be face-scars-time though.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
The clevin Cio is fighting has a Likpate number instead of Clevin, too.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Aumanor posted:

What about Sheng Seleris?

I gotta say I'm pretty sure "Okay so you can have Enlightenment or the Wo-" "THE WORLD" means sheng seleris is even more hideously powerful in K6BD (pretty impressive for a guy who has to be kept in hell by the Goddess of Keeping Sheng Seleris In Hell.) Could totally see Sheng as one of the guys who basically triggered the Second Conquest into being a massive free-for-all.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Archenteron posted:

This setting is amazing

"A series of gods" doesn't really do it justice. They summoned up a regular-rear end water spirit, then made it summon its parent which was a pretty significant water spirit, and made IT summon up ITS parent which was the god of water spirits, who was made to summon it's Really Important Water God parent, who was THEN made to summon the god of setting water on fire that no one except the god learners actually knew existed (the god learners may not have known it existed either, but their Models presumably suggested that such a god must exist.)

Archenteron posted:

Apparently they once went "Country A and Country B both have Earth Goddesses. They're probably both aspects of the same being, let's swap their Goddesses and see what happens.

It apparently didn't end well.

Famine in the one country (it was the wrong type of grain and didn't grow in that climate), crippling divorce rates in the other (it wasn't just the primary grain goddess in that country, she was also the primary marriage goddess and process of swapping the two culminated in 'discovering' a myth where they had to swap husbands for a while.)

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Really more Evil Wizard Anthropologists than Nerdy Math Magicians.

(That's evil Wizard-Anthropologists, not Evil-Wizard anthropologists. A very important distinction :v:)

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

White Coke posted:

The next arc is going to involve Solomon David's annual martial arts tournament. He'll be beaten either by having some crippling psychological vulnerability exploited, or getting smashed in the face with the universe.

Solomon David getting beaten would be amazing but kind of surprising because the whole condition of the tournament is that if you beat him you get his seventh of the multiverse.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

Solomon David seems like the kind of guy who might almost give a poo poo about all the universes he rules.

Solomon david cares that giving a poo poo about all the universes he rules is something that someone with his self image of himself would do, but does not, himself, actually give a poo poo about all the universes he rules.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Literally just some one out there with the KNOWLEDGE that Mammon is a senile old dog is inherently dangerous, the priests of the count could have taken her out ENTIRELY on that basis.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Archenteron posted:

This thread made me buy and start playing King of Dragon Pass so thanks for that. I'm currently trying to make one of my clan elders roleplay a god cow so I get more money, but she keeps getting eaten by wolves in the divine roleplaying session.

I just want more cattle so I can get more food from the cabbage ducks

consider sending the "wrong" person on it, a humakti or vingan will get a malus from not being the right sort of god-botherer but it's less than the "has literally no Don't Die skills" malus that most uraldans get.
(You don't want them to be TO good at not dying though, because then they'll totally kick the wolves asses and the bulls will go 'pffft wolves are little babies, why on earth do we need humans to protect us from them?')

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Dead Reckoning posted:

Cio has a personality, but isn't a person in the sense of being human, because her fundamental drives and needs are alien. This is why people are so fascinated with psychopaths: beings whose appearance and affect mirrors our own, but who underneath do not share our feelings and humanity.

Lol this whole time I thought you were saying she wasn't a person based on the actually relatively credible argument in universe that devils are all Philosophical Zombies, not this "man how alien is it to need to Eat in order to Live?" bullshit.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
for an instant there i thought abbadon was suggesting that noted dead person Layla Brimstone was not in fact dead, but no she's still dead

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
pretty sure the pursuers are hanging out at charon's place where the party snuck in from. You can see Auntie Maya's foot standing there outside in the second panel.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Yeah. Looks like he got blown off the ship, though.

Separated from his cat, a fate worse than death.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
If we take what we've heard about devil assholitude as gospel truth, then either Xand or Nxor would've killed off the other ages before they got to the level where they were even considered for this heist. This whole thing happened with a counterexample RIGHT THERE.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Seems like people itt are looking at extremely basic contradictions in character - a sexless angel that wants to be a girl

It's only notable that the sexless angel wants to be a girl because all the other sexless angels want to be boys.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

Then again, this is probably not just a situation, where the money will be worth less, but a total market collapse. Massive layoffs, starving children and all that fun stuff. But I guess that world wasn't that great in the first place.

Mammonbucks(tm) aren't the ONLY currency in throne, it Really Really Sucks for the people who were primarily doing business in them but a lot of people will probably be able to switch over to doing business in other not quite as reliable currency.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

nimby posted:

I feel like his ideas on succession are the following:
"If I die, gently caress the empire, burn my throne and then burn Throne."

I mean defacto if he falls in battle there is no matter of succession because his empire no longer exists and is either divided up or just another battle ground in the omniversial war his death would be part of.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Solomon might not WANT a woman taking over but this whole thing is effectively a recognition that what he wants has absolutely no bearing on any situation where someone actually is taking over.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

solomon david is -so- close to enlightenment. he had the chance to witness it being attained. but his fault is the perfect fault of the patriarch, from the Pharisees on down through to every CEO who drives his business into the ground trying to save it.

"this is mine, so nobody else gets to make mistakes with it."

his sons could probably do a decent job shepherding his people! they're smart enough to recognize their empire has a single gigantic glowing weak point, behind Daddy's immaculately sculpted chest, and brave enough to put on a united front when he asks them "so, kiddos, how could this break bad for me."

but they'll make mistakes that Solomon David would not have made, and they would mar his perfect creation, and so he will not willingly relinquish power for fear they might not do it right

unlike someone who realized "actually wait a minute that in and of itself is not doing it right, gently caress my empire, pack my box with five dozen liquor jugs and point me to the nearest swimming noodle vendor"

nah he's just not willing to relinquish power to someone who would immediately lose it to one of the equivalently powerful people ruling the other sixths of creation.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

2 solar systems god royally hosed by losing the gravitational center, and heat source.

In a war where that left planets without suns in the first place I'm willing to bet there were at least two suns that were just being the gravitational center and heat source of jack poo poo by the time Solomon David got his 111111 universes.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Mimesweeper posted:

Maya's sword doesn't even have a blade, why should it need a handle?

Maya, whos internal voice sounds exactly like Piccolo for some reason: "poo poo, THAT'S what i've been missing this whole time"

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

animist posted:

can you even give a life sentence to a demon

demon just means "shithead" so a human demon at least. Devils... would eventually degrade down to pale, you could do something based on that.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Joe Slowboat posted:

Not so much in this case, Kirkbride was influenced by Vedic stories and Advaita Vedanta but CHIM is a legitimately novel weird cosmotheological idea.

CHIM does take a lot of influence from the second big inspiration behind TES, Glorantha. Some of those ideas that enlightenment can Go Wrong, that it's not even necessarily a good thing... those are very much inspired by Illumination.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

habeasdorkus posted:

Yeah, but he's not an incubus, he chose the name. So he doesn't get the devil pass of "it's my nature!" Ofc, I have zero doubt that he shows up in men's dreams as well, so at least he's not gender discriminating.

He's not AN incubus, he's THE incubus. The earthly concept is basically a metaphysical reflection out into the rest of the multiverse, all based on him.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

habeasdorkus posted:

I wonder if corporeal Incubus got his face scars before or after mastering Head of John. And I wonder who gave them to him.

Head of john means that if anyone DOES manage to injure your face, there's no way in hell that poo poo's getting stitched up.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Dead Reckoning posted:

It makes a nice counterpoint with Solomon: he's so utterly powerful that, if he just decided to walk off the job and pursue his journey towards becoming true royalty, there wouldn't be a drat thing anyone could to do to stop him. But he's so fixated on finding an appropriate successor in order to ensure that his empire endures without him that he can't leave, and it's quite possible that the whole thing can't work without Solomon David sitting in the big chair. Becoming unstoppable in hand to hand combat and then deciding that the only person suitable to replace you is someone able to defeat you in a duel is pretty on the nose.

He doesn't actually require "can beat him in a duel" his condition appears to be "single drop of blood." Which might not be PERFECTLY fair but I do reckon is pretty close to "is powerful enough that if i handed over all my demiurge power they'd be as powerful as i was with that demiurge power."

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Man. Maybe all of Meti's stuff talks about her lovely female student because incubus did everything exactly like he was supposed to so there was nothing worth complaining about.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Ashcans posted:

I don't think Incubus is Metis good student; part of her sword law is that to truly master it, you have to abandon everything except the single perfect cut you are performing. You shed thought of victory, your identity, even the concept of a next blow - the only thing that matters is the cut. Incubus is extremely into winning. I think that he is an able swordsman but fails to achieve that singular will, which is why Meti doesn't consider him a true apprentice.

Maya apparently manages it, but it turns out that the mindset to subsume yourself in a single cut makes you lovely at anything else, which is why both her and Meti end up as unstoppable hobos.

What I at least was saying wasn't necessarily that he was a "good" student, but that he may have done as he was instructed without complaint, and thus produced no real anecdotes to make their way into Meti's writings.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

xcheopis posted:

How do you know? Has Abaddon said so? Otherwise, we've been given one sample, which doesn't mean there won't be more.

Do you know what the word "may" means?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
There is no real reason to think that miss 'the only way to Sword Good is to only know cutting any nothing else' would be good enough at teaching that her lessons actually impart what they are intended to.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

Do- do you not see Monkey not knowing who Maya is in the most recent panel, while the woman in the flashback calls her master?

They're pretty clearly different characters!

When time has passed, events may have occured, even unseen. Events like possibly, monkey realising it's maya and trying to be her student while maya says "I'm not your master."

Renaissance Robot posted:

I don't see present day noodle drunk auntie Maya taking on any students as being very likely.

Well she says she's not her master, so this doesn't put any requirement towards this being a flashback!

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Tollymain posted:

maya cant do much about monkey being her student

Oh, she certainly can, but she's probably feeling JUST teacher-y enough (see: telling monkey this story instead of just completely ignoring her) that just up and killing her would make her feel kinda bad.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

I'm pretty sure he would allow anyone to participate because he wants someone strong and he's a part of a pact that has 3 women2 women and 1 mass of worms that looks like a woman on board, but at the same time his martial arts literally doesn't allow him to have any descendants but male ones. So maybe he only wants a king for the Celestial Empire and not a Queen. :shrug:

"Martial arts bullshit" is formally the reason he doesn't have any daughters but that doesn't mean it can't be deliberate choice martial arts bullshit. Given his originally family was daughters it seems pretty likely he just doesn't want anything approaching "replacing" them.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Mimesweeper posted:

I think there was a Tumblr Q&A or a post somewhere that said Solomon only has sons through martial arts breathing bullshit because he can't bear the thought of replacing his daughters who died back in his origin story.

I guess it would be nice of him to bring in someone other than family though.
The Q&A was just that its martial arts breathing bullshit. The not wanting to replace his daughters from his origin story is just reader extrapolation.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Vampires are My Landlord, Specifically.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Okay but that's just the original quote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

A big flaming stink posted:

Don't angels have to be destroyed in the void to reincarnate to their next form? I recall that the prime angels have been in the process of doing that since Zoss chased after them into the void to own them but I'm not sure if destruction of their material form also accomplishes that

A sufficiently brutal destruction of their material form can carry over to the void.