Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Medullah posted:

Yes, in the stream they announced that XP bonuses will be such that you can level solely by doing Class quests and the main Planetary questline. Not quite 12x, but still super quick.

I consider this a plus since the planetary questlines are actually pretty cool.

And then you can come back level-synced and do the bonus questlines!

Also, I imagine if you want to do less planetary quests, you can do flashpoints for xp/gear.

I like 12x in theory but kinda don't like outleveling all the other content so quickly so this seems like a nice balance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Chickenwalker posted:

Guys does Riposte/Retaliate have any place in the rotation of a DPS Guardian/Juggernaut? Seems like it never procs. My Juggernaut is tank spec so I rolled my Guardian as DPS, but I feel like I'm doing it wrong. Also is there ever a crushing blow equivalent that procs off of the equivalent of Aegis Strike to become an AoE?

It's definitely part of the Focus rotation since you get a passive that makes concentrated slice proc Riposte.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

sassassin posted:

Do we actually get to make interesting choices at any point re: combat proficiencies in this game? Feels like once you choose your class and discipline it's just a flat road of boring "using x reduces cooldown of y & z by 2 seconds" bullshit it's near impossible to notice in action. Then check a list online to see which mods are objectively the best.

Don't see myself sticking with this beyond the first month. No sense of creating a character through a build so far.

Build diversity is a lie (like peace).

It's really only something you see in ARPGs these days and even then when you look at the hardest content, it comes down to a handful of optimal builds. Most MMOs these days just ditch the pretense of illusion of choice and give you a few simple binary choice for your character. There was no point to the talent trees in SWTOR or WOW.

If you start from the premise of no build diversity, then you can focus on tuning encounters more intelligently towards the limited builds that do exist. This is what FFXIV does with a lot of success, though they're also well-served by the fact that characters can switch to any class on the fly.

As for SWTOR, even where you do have choice, utility points, there are optimal choices based on whether you PVE or PVP. Whether or not they'll take advantage of all the streamlining to create nicely tuned raid encounters is an open question but I suspect that's not really the direction the game is headed.

I will say that I think this game would benefit greatly from being able to one-button respec with stored keybinds and gearsets though.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Fojar38 posted:

Getting rid of the vanilla WoW talent system was a good choice, as is moving to focus more on story than on endgame ops and poo poo.

Perusing the general forums it seems like the people most unhappy with the Xpack are the people who basically wanted a shittier version of WoW but with glowsticks and a John Williams soundtrack.

Which we had for several years and that didn't stop the bitching.

This is way better and closer to the KOTOR successors people actually wanted.

Lightsabers and Conversations.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

sassassin posted:

Why do artificers make non-moddable lightsabers now? Who would ever use one?

Couldn't you buy moddable lightsabers on Taris before? Are they gone now?

I'm assuming a lot of the new recipes are meant as outfit designer fodder.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

CeeCee posted:

I upgraded to Win 10 and now when I load the launcher I get a pop up asking if I want to allow this app to make changes. I set it to run as administrator and made sure it was in the firewall exception list, but I still get the pop up. This doesn't happen when I load the Guild Wars 2 launcher tho, so I don't know why it does it or what else I can do to make it stop.

Anyone else have this issue or know what I can do about it?

They did a really poo poo job with the launcher unfortunately, so you're stuck with UAC prompts.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Interstellar Owl posted:

With this new "streamlined leveling" system where you only have to do story quests, how long does it take to go from like 1-60?

I imagine you could do it in a weekend if you're also doing heroics and stuff. The game just throws levels at you now.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug
Oh my god. Go watch The Force Awakens. It's so good.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug
I wasn't trying to start a shitstorm, sorry. I was just really excited after seeing it and this is the only Star Wars thread I follow on the forums and wanted to share that excitement with my fellow Star Wars fans. Apparently that is super contentious.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

SweetBro posted:

Ah okay. Good. If I had to start playing through the vanilla side quests for exp I would loving kill myself.

Class Quests + Planetary Storyline will do it. Or throw in some heroics, pvp, flashpoints, etc. No need to collect bantha foreskins.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

mastajake posted:

How do you change outfits workout changing your stats anyway? A lot of posts here make it seem like you can, but I couldn't find the option. Is it post game only or something?

If you open your character panel (C), there is an 'Outfit' tab wherein you can assign gear to slots which only affects your appearance and does not change your stats. There's a tutorial for it in-game (however it is you access those, via codex or the question mark?), it's called the Outfit Designer.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

rabidcowfromhell posted:

Might be a dumb question, but I just started playing this game a few days ago and I'm confused about the way flashpoints work.

Do ALL flashpoints boost you to level 65? When I try to use the group finder, the only option I have is Tactical Flashpoints. Can I use the group finder to find non-tactical ones?

Nope, they're (mostly) all tactical now so that dps aren't stuck waiting for healers and tanks. You'll get level-appropriate XP and drops from bosses still, along with the data crystals from the dailies you can use to buy mods and such.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

reagan posted:

I got sick of my Cyborg Sniper and switched to a Chiss Operative. Good idea? Sniper seems like it lacks some of the cool toys that other classes have access to.

I personally don't like the DPS-only classes. I regret making my Agent a Sniper instead of an Operative and my Warrior a Marauder instead of a Juggernaut.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

reagan posted:

Alright cool. As an aside, I really wish the Operative had access to a Vibroblade along with the dagger.

Leveling, your best gear will come from heroics or flashpoints. It's super easy to stay way ahead of the gear curve now without spending commendations/crystals.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

prefect posted:

They can absolutely be difficult, especially if you're trying to perform as well as you possibly can.

Ultimately it depends on how a specific encounter is tuned in terms of requiring X% of your theoretical DPS. DPS checks can be pretty tough if you don't have your rotation down.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Moon Slayer posted:

So I've pretty much done everything there is to do in SWTOR at this point, or at least everything I'm interested in doing. Leveled every class, gone through KotFE a couple of times, played pretty-space-princess-dressup; now it's either grind heroics for alliance crates and wait until the next chapter drops.

I've had a lot of fun playing TOR. It was the first MMO I really got into, after trying and failing with WoW back in 2011 or so (don't think I ever got past level 25 or so, it was just boring). I like the story stuff, making a character that not only looked unique but also kind of had a unique personality (to be fair there wasn't a whole lot of freedom in this area but a lot more than, say, WoW), and the MMO stuff is fun because I could do stuff with friends/goons/goon friends. I don't really have any desire to do the hardcore MMO stuff, though, so operations and whatnot don't really appeal to me.

My question is: are there any other MMOs out there now that might scratch the same itch that TOR has? Ones with more emphasis on the RPG elements than the MMO elements. I tried Guild Wars 2 a couple of years ago but for some reason it never really grabbed me. Maybe because it seemed I was always underleveled for content. Probably I was playing it wrong.

You might consider giving FFXIV a try. It has a rather long FF-style main quest that goes all the way through the expansion. There's no dialogue wheel like SWTOR but really only GW2 does that aside from SWTOR (and it has little relevance in GW2).

ESO is actually pretty good for this now that I think of it. Everything is voiced and there is lots of story (much of it good) and even dialogue choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

the_paradigm_shift posted:

I'm running carnage spec at lvl 35 and I think my only attack with AoE damage is the ground punch.

Rage/Smash is your best bet for leveling w/ all the AOE.

• Locked thread