Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kater
Nov 16, 2010

I've gotten heavily into this game in the last week after not really touching it since launch. I guess I'm easily influenced and people are hyped by expansion.

Is there *any* resource to explain what the flying gently caress this game bloomed into? I've looked at reddit and drowned in the wiki and it's just a nightmare to understand what any of this mountain of garbage in my inventory is or means or does. The last thing I coherently remember about this game is being annoyed they made cooking food soulbound because it was a dope karma into gold funnel.

Like I log into the game and do dailies and play spvp and join wvw and that is terrible and I join lfg dungeons which are piss easy and I just don't know what the gently caress I should be doing. I guess the Orr event run has evolved into a world boss run? That poo poo is crazy boring though and I'm not sure I get the point, other obtaining thousands of those purple craft items which are just 1/1000th of what you need to do something. I started doing my story quest but it's giving me terrible level 30 items and I don't know if that's worth a drat, and also the story is terrrrrrrrrrrrrrible and Loghain is the biggest loser in the world and the Order of Secrets are huge loving dorks and goddamn Lion's Arch looked so much better before it was asteroided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Oh I like everything. It probably doesn't come across like that but hey. Tonight I spent an hour trying to do an insane jumping puzzle featuring techno-pirates and steam gizmos, that I just stumbled onto because instead of following up a story mission I tried to find the last point of interest on a map. Like, that is loving awesome. I really like the spvp, and I remember enjoying wvw previously. It's just the game sometimes feels really empty when you don't know what you are doing is attributing to. Like doing world bosses and dungeons or whatever. You get a whole lot of *stuff* but I don't have a clue what to do with it, or if what I'm doing will lead to anything.

Like, I really want to say 'hey I should go for map completion' and just experience all of the content in the game, but there is so loving much of it I can't even begin. I started joining story mode dungeons just to have done them all, only to find out like three of them are in zones I've never even been to.

I'm not really sure what I'm complaining about, I just wish I understood the game more.

kater fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Oct 8, 2015

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Not sure how good it'll be for making GBS threads aoes on yourself but seems fun.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

You get one for pre-ordering if you use their store.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

treizebee posted:

Like the rest of you. Not the rest of us to me, which are the WvW players.

But sure, ok. I will go map complete for the next half year to get half the elite spec unlocked, despite not enjoying PvE. Then I will spend another couple of months earning ~200 ranks in WvW to get my one character his elite.
Totally victimizing myself here.

Please don't tell me how to play the game m8 buddy. o7

e : Btw, if it weren't for the RAGING VICTIMS like my lonesome self pointing out grindy crap like this, the original hero point change where you couldn't get enough points to unlock everything 1-80 would still be in the game.

Why don't you like having goals?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Staff ele, class president, 3 more years.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Dreggon posted:

the scepter is a teddy bear on a stick

Staff is... indistinguishable from the ascended staves.

This is the thing that will make me roll a new profession. What uses swords?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Is there something I can do in sPvP to get Mastery credit?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

ExHumus posted:

Is there something I can do in PvE to get PvP rank?

What part of PvP rank is actually content, and also why on earth would you be passive aggressive about grinding poo poo. It's not like tons of people just didn't instantly bypass a PvE grind on their new fancy Revenant by using poo poo they got from PvP or anything.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I played like 3 hours of the new story/zones. Was enough to unlock Gliding and Mushrooms. I've got to say though, the way I progressed was really... bad. Like after the first story mission it keeps you with some NPCs that were in it as you go along doing Events. Which is pretty cool. Only like the third or fourth event has you breaking into teams. I picked the right team I guess and we got to a point where our dude was just sitting around waiting as the other one slowly died out. Started exploring the place a bit only for the event to move on and me unable to get back to it. Oh well. Bit more wandering, I found two different event tracks. Participated in both, got to fight three different wyverns, was cool. Then I got the grind Mushrooms story mission and decided to stick with one single event track for the outpost. It was pretty fun, doing a bunch of different stuff... until the event dead ended and nobody knew how to complete it. So we just wandered around for a while and then night came and that was over. Then I was asked to change maps because the one I was on was dead.

Also I doubt I will ever unlock the elite spec fully for my main character much less any alt. My main is an ele so I don't actually care and I pvp plenty so it's not like I don't use them, but still. I'm content with my 30% map completion, I don't need character progression hidden behind it. Why do mainland Hero Points even exist?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Action camera is terrific simply for jumping puzzles, but I don't think I'm going to use it by default. No auto-attack is terrible, it's way too easy to interrupt yourself. Also it's funny that you can use it to target heals on allies when they didn't want that to be a thing.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I don't have a Guardian, I don't know what they do, I just know that I've never seen my hp fall faster than when I walked into that stupid ring thing.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

That doesn't matter if the zone is full, which it often is when a meta is going well :(

Don't worry, someone else will crash soon too.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Tamayachi posted:

Y'all need to go full Cash Shop Clown like me

Fake Money Bros.

Kind of regret buying it because it is so awesome it invalidated the whole collect cool armor part of the game.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I trekked Caithe down to this Ascended cave, fought a giant plant dragon, the entire fleet got destroyed, I had a triple abortion, and now I'm rescuing the survivors.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

PvP in this game is really freaking fun and you shouldn't be discouraged from it. If you are getting burst down so fast it's not enjoyable it most likely is a build issue. Make sure you are running amulet/traits that give you defense. Other possibility is you are playing Theif, in which case, oh.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

If I were to make a list of my favorite classes for PvP it would be over half the list so I'm not sure there would be a point. Long Bow Ranger is terrific introduction, does a shitload of damage without requiring you to be anywhere near danger. Minion Reaper is also really safe and effective. I don't think either of those would be a bad place to start. Dragon Hunter is in a great place right now but isn't nearly as auto-pilot as those two. After that, I'd place Ele, Chronomancer, and Scrapper as the highest functioning but most demanding. If you want to press more buttons, thems is what you want.

And yes I specifically went with Ele and not Tempest because holy poo poo that mess is a trap stay away.

I haven't had the best of times getting Warrior to work since HoT, it is too hard to be much more than mulch for the Dragon Hunter blender.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Tangled Depths deserves some kind of award. It's easily the worst section of any game I've ever played. In anything. Confusing the navigate, infested with horrible monsters, full of terrible events, and to top it all off there are treasure chests sitting everywhere you can't touch.

Also Verdent Brink is the dopest poo poo, all the bosses are insanely fun.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

8 gold a week, is not enough to make me care.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Xae posted:

Grinding Spiders is such great XP. But also everything GW2 was not supposed to be.

I like grinding spiders. More than most of the game. It provides a measurable reward, in discrete bursts, doesn't try to engage me on anything but a gameplay level, and is actually kind of challenging and fun when you are doing it on your own.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Farg posted:

i'm interested in playing the pvp stuff in this game. what class is the best/most fun in pvp broadly speaking?

Best/Fun is kind of open to your interpretation, but as far as ease of play Necromancer, Dragonhunter, and Ranger are miles beyond the rest of the cast.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I liked how they put the giant zone at the start to make you think the game had content.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Stronghold is really loving bad and shouldn't be used as a bulletpoint for anything.

Luckily the new Specializations have made the normal, great PvP also great.

Also I think that events failing thing was just a misconception that spread around.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

PvP sucks now that Courtyard is gone.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Main complaint about the current elite specs from a ele main, is that there is literally 0 reason to be anything other then a tempest as ele, it outclasses whatever 3rd trait line I could of taken instead and the utility skills are all far, far more useful then the majority of other utility skills with only a couple on the same power level like glyph of storms and lightning flash, plus just being a tempest unlocks 4 extra free strong skills to use.

The heal is probably the most broken thing because not only does it heal harder then any of the other so-so heals available, but it also heals every ally near you for the exact same amount, that's not even getting into the aura heals and water overload.

Basically what I'm saying is I'd like the other trait lines and utility skills to be on the same power level as the expansion specialization so there is actually a choice between 3 trait lines instead of 2.

There was lots of talk about PvP so I really balked at every word of this post and then I realized you never said PvP. Tempest is absolutely ridiculous in PvE. It could offer nothing but overloads and still be the obvious choice.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I still can't believe there have already been 4 black lion weapon sets since HoT came out. $50 got you what, Chak, Auric, and the Plated line? And those sure as poo poo ain't as easy to get as just handing over more money.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

It's been over a month and I still have no idea what you are supposed to be getting from Tempest that trumps Earth/Water/Arcane.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

ItBurns posted:

Yes. This is in direct contrast to the old method of getting a legendary which didn't require collecting anything.

By new collection poo poo, we mean the 4th tier of the Tyria mastery right?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Did they ever go back and fix fireballs? At least give you a personal toggle?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

So is it possible to get pretty snowflakes before the 10th? I was looking at the collection and was like okay okay okay and then there was something about 10,000 drinks? Like the essence stuff actually seemed pretty reasonable to just buy, like 50g for one and less for the other two, but what the gently caress I don't have it in me to click something 10,000 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I was free

• Locked thread