Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
Fresh clean thread smell, thanks again for the amazing OP Arus!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

John Smith is a super proactive guy, being a jerk because you don't agree with him isn't very cool.

Underwater combat was a cool idea that wasn't as cool in practice, so it's being de-emphasized. This approach to content focus is nothing new but I'm sorry that some of you are upset by that.

:drac:

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Oh looks like Action camera stuff snuck out, rad.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3p0wg5/guild_chat_livestream_notes_pro/

Action camera is pretty great!

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

MooCowlian posted:

I've heard tell they're given out on Fridays, but that's anecdotal reddit evidence.

They are.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Sprite141 posted:

Wait, what? Where did you read that?

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/hot/Upcoming-Global-Change-to-Player-Minions/first#post5625354

Roy Cronacher posted:

Hey all,

As some of you may have seen in raids during the last BWE, we were trying out something new with player minions. Basically, in that final BWE, player minions did not take damage from boss attacks. We thought that made minion-based professions feel so much better in combat, but that change did expose some problems such as minions being able to withstand a damaging attack indefinitely.

We wanted minions to not die left and right, but we did want them to have some attrition instead of being completely immune to attacks. This problem is mainly prevalent in PvE as we have huge attacks all over the place that are meant to be dodged by players but unfortunately for minions, they can’t dodge.

After reviewing BWE results, we wanted to create a better system to accomplish this as a global change for minions. To do that, we made it so that unless a minion is specifically targeted by a creature, they will be dealt drastically reduced damage and condition duration from attacks. Currently, this is set to 95% reduction as we feel like it’s a good starting place, but we’ll continue to monitor and adjust it. This means if your minion gains agro from a creature it will still take full damage, but if there is area effect damage hitting your minion, instead of usually killing it instantly, it will slowly attrition it down.

We felt like minions were in a good place for PvP so we didn’t want to change them there for now. Thus, the interaction between players and minions in PvP combat will remain the same.

The change is for all player minions, this includes things like engineer turrets and ranger spirits as well. This will be in for HoT Launch in a few days. :)

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

SlothBear posted:

Yeah Anet's servers are getting hammered. Wiki down etc.

Wiki/Forum servers are the same physical hardware, but they have zero to do with any game servers.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Special new BLTC mode, just for you. I'll ask about that tomorrow, looks like Coherent crashed or something.

ShadowMar posted:

oh my god i seriously love that outfit. you did really good job.

edit: my mouse broke and i can't get a replacement for about a week. has anyone come up with a janky controller set up for action cam yet or am i gonna have to suffer with my drawing tablet?

Would this work?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3pnbqq/how_to_use_a_controller_with_the_new_action_camera/

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/heads-up-iteration-incoming/

quote:

We’re going to update the elite specialization unlock to find a better middle ground by reducing the cost of unlocking every possible ability for an elite specialization from 400 hero points to 250 hero points total.
If you’ve already put more than 250 points into your elite specialization, surplus hero points will be refunded to your character for future use.

Tivac fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 27, 2015

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

treizebee posted:

Foo!

Or is that a sneak peak of a yet to be posted article?

I was a bit fast on the post button, it's live now though.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

MacBook Air Gamer posted:

Still unable to log-in. Anytime I try to boot up a character the zone loading screen goes on then eventually brings up the Network Error popup and boots me back to the launcher. What the gently caress.

Some accounts got stuck as a result of the bad patch last night, server team's been rolling through as fast as possible getting them unstuck.

Sorry yours hasn't made it yet :(

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

e: also someone mentioned in guild chat earlier that Anet's internet testers are on Windows XP and I thought they were trolling..

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3r3rul/can_we_please_get_a_dev_to_acknowledge_that_this/cwkqal5

:stare:

Our external QA are on min-spec machines, yes. Internal QA are on normal developer-spec machines AFAIK.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Dreggon posted:

:siren: 64 bit client beta launching today :siren:

:siren: https://s3.amazonaws.com/gw2cdn/client/branches/Gw2-64.exe :siren:

Download and stick next to your existing Gw2.exe, it'll use the same dat file and you can go back to 32-bit client if you run into any issues with the 64-bit BETA CLIENT.

Tivac fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 4, 2015

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Amante posted:

They did absorb a bunch of WildStar people a while back. Seems to have encouraged a subtle shift towards needlessly grindy or untuned things so far.

This rumor keeps getting repeated but I don't think it's true. At the very least "a bunch" is hugely overselling it.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Visidan posted:

I have ~insider~ info that everything is on the back burner until raids are finished. Raids are considered the flagship of the expansion at ANET, it sounds insane but there you go.

Just like all those Wildstar devs we hired am i rite?

:v:

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Hello GW2 thread, it's been a while.

Who sent me this, and is it a bomb?

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Bye Colin :*(

That said, Mo seems real into being more transparent. That wasn't always true, so hopefully it sticks around and lets folks stop feeling so burned/ignored.

It's certainly never our intent :(

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Pseudoscorpion posted:

For sure. He mentioned he wants this to be a semi-regular thing and I really hope we keep doing it!

(Also hi Tivac I'm the new tools idiot that sits right behind you o/)

OH GOD ANOTHER ONE

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

MooCowlian posted:

I kind of assumed Tivac and anyone else working on the game had long given up on reading this thread out of despair.

I never stopped reading it. It's a bummer, but a strong understanding of how the game is perceived is important.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

shrach posted:

I thought they said "Extended Experience" was abandoned because it was too hard. One day they might expose an API and the community can do it for free.

EE was a small team that owned many large things. It turns out that isn't a good plan, and there was no clear indication that doing the mobile stuff would ultimately be worth the effort. Instead we focused on other stuff.

We've had an API for quite a while now.

https://api.guildwars2.com

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Sucks to cancel anything, but relatively few people will ever bother w/ the massive grind for legendaries. Focusing on more content that lots of folks can play is better for the game and better for the studio IMO.

Mo's making smart decisions and working with what he inherited, it's been really interesting to see the shift in priorities.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Oh yeah, do we have any details on this yet?

Details will be posted the day the patch comes out ;-*

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Visidan posted:

One of the devs leaked some notes from a wvw dev meeting, they look pretty good. It's already created a silly amount of hype in the community, bunch of players/guilds have come back already.

link or gtfo

Edit: Found it.

Tivac fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Apr 13, 2016

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

WvW team would like your feedback on their priorities!

https://feedback.guildwars2.com/

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Tivac I voted

:cool:

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Serenade posted:

I'm returning to Guild Wars 2 after putting it down for three years, and I have two questions I can't find a solid answer on.

I have a friend playing on Euro servers, is there a way for me to guest and show off my dolly dress up in person yet?

Unid dyes don't drop any more. Is crafting the only way to get new dyes?

E: oh yeah also it seems like the value of gold has crashed

It's not perfect (MMOs always deflate currency because there's always new money sources being added) but the gold/gem exchange rate isn't wildly out of control or anything.

http://www.gw2spidy.com/gem

It's a bit higher than normal right now but I bet it'll be corrected before too long. New content tends to knock things out of whack for a bit.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Game back up, Commerce still slowly getting ready.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Bieeardo posted:

Fields of Ruin is apparently crashing whenever anyone interacts with an NPC or crafting table. First time it got me, I ended up back in Harathi. Second time, I decided to do something else for the rest of the night.

https://twitter.com/GuildWars2/status/768313777125294080

hurtmeplz posted:

MO is the equivalent to Jerry Jones of the Dallas Cowboys. You can't be a owner/executive/gm all at the same time. It just doesn't loving work. GW1 had NCSoft backing them the entire time so the money was plentiful with the F2P model because the publisher was still financing things.

As soon as NCSoft backed off on GW2 and left Anet to it's own devices it just went to poo poo. While it did allow Anet the freedom to fix a lot of things they wanted to from the start they had already lost half its collective hive that created it. It's the nature of the gaming industry to go where the pay/opportunities are better. They used the GW1 engine in order to save resources/time..but then they threw all this new tech into it and it never really jelled.

So now they are just trying to keep things from going total poo poo. It's not about progressing the game anymore in terms of content/QoL fixes and more about maximizing profit. F2P works...there are a lot of games that have proven that but Anet just doesn't seem to know how to balance the "oh hey here are some new armor skins/wep skins that are a reward track vs ..welcome to the gem store."

The gaming industry is cutthroat in terms of revenue generated vs investments much like most business models. ..all i'm saying is GODDAMMIT I GOT GOLD ON MY LAST 2 races to max out HoT mastery points...now I have to do them over....#firstworldproblems #neverdocheevosonpatchday

oh ok.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

That is really wonderfully weird.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Eltoasto posted:

4th anniversary stream is going on now, but intro video didn't have a single Tivac in it boooo

My launch night memories include running to my desk to watch commerce light itself ON FIRE and then spending two weeks working like a crazy person helping to fix it.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

ijyt posted:

I read the OP every time I come back to the game because I swear there used to be a link to some sort of "what you missed since whenever" website.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Release ?

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Faren is such a dumb/fun character.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Adhesive Gamin posted:

Super Fast Downstate [SFD].

:golfclap:

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Illuyankas posted:

Apparently the floppy fish mini swims normally if you go underwater with it, definitely would like to get it now

I heard that and verified it myself. I love this dumb thing so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

lucifirius posted:

Do we get dank leaks from the anet goons?

lol sure

• Locked thread