Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

tsob posted:

Armor is already starting to become kind of pointless in Zeta, where evasion is the order of the day due to the proliferation of beam weapons. The problem with the Hyaku-Shiki isn't that it lacks armor, since it has the same type of armor as the Rick Dias and Zeta Gundam (Gundarium y armor), and is never stated to have notably thinner armor - it's that it lacks a shield. Which doesn't really seem to inconvenience it all that much frankly. The gold paint seems to have been a preliminary step to tackling the fact that beams kind of make armor redundant given that they tear through almost any thickness with little difference, but not a very effective step in the end.

Eh, I wouldn't say armor is going by the wayside in Zeta. I'd say it takes until post Hathaway's Flash for armor to really go by the wayside. Around that point of mid-late UC, suits needed to be so large to incorporate all the fancy new tech that hadn't been miniaturized yet, so they just turned them into gigantic hulking armored behemoths like the Xi and Penelope, which needed their Minovsky Drives to maintain respectable mobility. Armor certainly wasn't hugely effective, but it still had its place until VSBRs came around and suddenly everything got real tiny real fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Three Cookies posted:

I was reminded of the episode where Chibodee Crocket reveals his fear of clowns because clown terrorists killed his mom. Basically I just wanted to say G Gundam was cool.

Clown terrorists, you say?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I don't think anyone likes Hayato. I know I wouldn't complain if he was replaced wholesale by someone better. Like Job John.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I always thought the deal with Char's newtype-ness was that he was a pretty weak newtype, but an amazing pilot. So by the time CCA came around, in an equal fight, he was still the better pilot, but the gap between piloting skill was more than made up for with Amuro being a very strong newtype, giving him the edge.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

DamnGlitch posted:

This forum used to hate wing and zz and fawned over 08th ms team. I think with time some of this stuff will balance out better instead of the weird polarizing debates we get now.

Well all three of those are great so

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Talking about designs, I can't think of anything I liked that came from G-Reco. Thankfully though Thunderbolt is getting something beautiful. :swoon:

Though, can we get an anime about the Titans Test Team just taking a new garish prototype out every week and having Seinfeld-like on-base antics? I'd be down for 26 episodes of test pilots and Titans engineers clashing about the newest crazy prototype they've got to build and test.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

:geno:

:flashfap:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

:wtc:, dude. The bugmechs own.

G-Reco has the Grimoire, Elf Bullock, Montero, Kabakali, Jahannam, Dahack, Moran, Poligit, Z'Gocky, and Gastima; and the G-Self is one of the few non-terrible Gundam designs. It has some of what are consistently the best designs in all of Gundam.

Sorry to have offended your delicate sensibilities? If you're gonna go and say that every other gundam is terrible, I'll just say that G-Self might just be one of the worst mecha designs I've ever seen. Maybe for the next series we can get Moriki to design something awesome and spikey.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

T.G. Xarbala posted:

You know, I often see you scooting into discussions with all the grace and subtlety of an elephant that's eaten a bowl of habaneros. And when someone disagrees with you, you get a bit petulant.

I think on an artistic level I think Thunderbolt's designs are kind of boring and I feel that the archetypical Gundam aesthetic has been on a bit of a two-steps-forward, two-equidistant-steps-back holding pattern since Zeta gave us the Gundam Mk2. The trend towards spikiness has led to a lot of samey silhouettes and muddled designs, to the point where something like the detail-busy yet classically refined Unicorn looks positively elegant.

Sorry, but I just think it's a little tiring to hear curdistan jump in every time about how every gundam design is poo poo and how [suit] is so "elegant and simple". It just seems like another way of saying boring, and needlessly inflammatory for a thread about said gundams.

I don't even know where this spikiness = samey thing came from. To go with the Moriki example from earlier, comparing a suit like Zeorymer to Xardion or Penelope, you get a drastically different silhouette in each, and most importantly, they're interesting. Having detail layered under detail so a different angle shows off stuff that was previously hidden is so much more engaging to look at and notice stuff you didn't see before.

Unfortunately, the downside to that is there's no way it can possibly be animated, at least not until 3D modelling takes another dozen leaps forward or so in ease of use and the ability to blend into a show. Even in the 90's animation budget glut, a show like Silent Mobius couldn't handle animating Moriki's stuff, and those were some of the more organic designs he's done.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Droyer posted:

I'm a bit of a hypocrite about it, because I like the traditional Gundam design, while also being happy when they deviate from it. I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to robot designs in general though

This is honestly the way I am, in a lot of ways. I could probably count off the main suit designs I don't like on one hand, and in general, I'm super easy to please. For every Xi or Hyzenthlay-Rah, there's like two much more traditional designs I love too. Even Destiny suits, despite my better judgement with some of them. I love the poo poo out of all the Unicorns, and most recently there's the Gusion, which for all I shittalk curvy suits, god drat do I love that fatbot.

I just love spiky suits more, but really, there's so little I don't like that it's kind of just different levels of how awesome I think most everything is.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So where's our goddamn MG Woundwort?

Edit: Oh and since it's on-topic

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 20, 2016

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I will be extremely disappointed if anybody uses BattleTech as a mark against me and my rights to have an opinion on the aesthetics of pretend robots.

Because by god I know my lovely-rear end garbage robos.

I'll forgive your lovely rear end garbage robos if you'll forgive my lovely-rear end garbage robos. :shobon:

Speaking of designers though, I kind of wonder what would happen if they gave Kawamori the greenlight on doing Gundam again, preferably for a full series. :allears:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Ka0 posted:

Wait, the Unicorn? Simple??

Eh, I'd argue it's fairly simple in Unicorn mode.

Problems like that are easily fixed though :kheldragar:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

If it existed in sketch form I'd post that. But it doesn't. (Unfortunately, I'd get a poster made of it :swoon:)

Chill, dude.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The one that was posted wasn't ver.Ka but a third-party redesign that adds a ton more greebles to the Unicorn's surface, which again, I find kind of works. It breaks up what is otherwise a very flat/smooth surface, which looks pretty good in lineart/animation but tends to make model kits look kind of boring.

This is pretty much how I feel about it. The problem with the PG Unicorn in my book is that it's just kind of an upsized MG, and for that price, I'd like it to stand out a bit more from the rest of them, ya know?

Speaking of Katoki decals though, I'm generally okay with them, but - and maybe this is only me - I find the red decals to stand out way more on the other unicorn versions, to the point where I kind of hate them. The base ones look fine because they match the red psychoframe, but it looks really off if you have a green/blue frame in there. Though I guess that's what custom decals are for.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

I wanna talk about how much I love Gaia Gear, but I'm the only one who's watched those youtube translations of the Radio Drama so it would just be me monologuing.

And I know you never monologue.

That's okay, talk all you want, I love it too. Everyone should!

:can:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

-Troika- posted:

What's this I hear about 0083 getting an Origin-esque remake?

Don't play with my heart like this.

I couldn't take it. I'd die from happiness, with both Origin, Thunderbolt, and a 0083 remake existing in the same timeline.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

oohhboy posted:

Don't watch Reconguista. Seriously. I could tell you why it's badGod awful, but folks here get angry about it.

Not even close. It's not bad, but people oversell it too often.

Reconguista and Turn A have little in common other than having Gundam on the box with one being an insult.

:stare:

drat dude, I don't like them either, but that's being a little harsh. And that's me saying that.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

boom boom boom posted:

I'd love to see an essay on the Princess outfits throughout Gundam history

I know I could go for a Relena post with all her outfits.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

EW Heavyarms is amazing, I like EW Sandrock a bit more, and I like the rest about as much as I like their normal versions. (As in, I dislike both versions of Deathscythe Hell equally.)

But then again I don't have a problem with Proto Zero so :shrug:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

boom boom boom posted:

But what it does with the legs is so silly. METAL

Don't tell me you don't want legs that turn into dragon heads. Everyone wants that. It's a universally shared part of the human experience.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

DamnGlitch posted:

Emily has whites around her eyes soooooo

Look, there's some things you just need to trade in for superior piloting skills.

Everyone makes sacrifices.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

It could be interesting to have an idol fall into the Amuro role, if done well.

Something about how sheltered she was and realizing the horrors of war/how privileged she was/etc.

A higher class privileged figurehead chick learning about the horrors of war while still being a beacon of hope for the people?

That sounds kind of familiar. They'd just have to add singing to IBO S2.

On the IBO talk though, I really loved it, but I stopped around episode 12 or so, just because stuff got in the way. After a point, I decided to just let it run out and power through it when it was finished, rather than go back and be waiting on new episodes by the end.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I dunno, when I think of idols in robot anime, my thoughts usually jump to them being some sort of big figure for the populace, either being manipulated to keep the people down or used by revolutionaries to spread ideas or something.

Maybe I'm letting other shows influence my thinking too much, idk. :shrug:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Srice posted:

Yah I think it's a safe assumption that when folks ask about Gundam they wanna see some sort of armed conflict rather than what is essentially a sports anime

Man, I'd kill for a sports anime gundam.

I know I said it before, but make an Advance of Zeta show, and have it play out like Top Gun, with the ensemble cast having their own little stories each episode, usually revolving around personal life stuff or a new unit to test, have mock battles like in 0083's opening bit, and maybe some shirtless volleyball every now and again. Maybe an overarching plot in the background. Hell, it's even good for the toy guys since it means they can roll out a bunch of cheap HGs whenever a new test unit shows up.

But that's just me daydreaming about my perfect show. :allears:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I said sports anime gundam, not sports anime gunpla.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Uh...

https://twitter.com/tendondon1/status/720492601690955777

You know what? Sure. I'll take it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Suddenly I'm getting flashbacks to Gungrave with its Big Daddy mob boss.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Droyer posted:

my b on the second one, but in regards to the first one: so?

Because talking about designs is part and parcel of a giant robot show, and those designs are usually first shown in plastic robot form? Like, there's a design in the newest batch of OVA stuff that doesn't even have a name yet, but it's a cool design, so why not post it to talk about it?

You're the only one throwing a hissy fit about model kits whenever they come up. Considering that it's a show about gundam model kits, which has its first looks at new designs being model kits, getting upset because someone posted a model kit is super weird. What's the alternative, no design should be talked about until there is official, high-res lineart?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Droyer posted:

My argument is that model kits have a thread all of their own, so they should be kept in that thread.

So talking about the designs is forbidden until we have a non-model kit source? The gunpla thread exists to talk about the purchasing and building of model kits, but why is using them as examples of design elements or to talk about aspects they like a bad thing? Hell, there's some really good worldbuilding in the manuals, and that's some really good general thread content, so why is the fact that it came from a model kit a sin?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

mr. stefan posted:

Jim makes sense as a kind of WWII fighter nickname that Zeon pilots would refer to them by, but I never really bought it as a term federation characters would use

Funny, I see it as the opposite. Soldiers given heavy equipment are notorious for giving them shortened, often human, nicknames and such. I could totally imagine Jim being something that one feddie foot soldier started calling it, and then it just caught on.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Didn't one of the side mangas/novels/games/whatevers show Dozle off a bit more, and pretty much paint him as a bit of an aggressive hothead, but an overall nice guy? I remember that coming up at some point in the thread.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

The Origin basically states he met his wife when she held him hostage which he found the hottest thing ever.

That's pretty adorable. His own personal version of a meet cute.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

A suit from G-Reco, which has the best worst design in Gundam in recent years. The joke is that G-Reco is supposed to take place in the distant, unspecified future of the UC universe.

:colbert:

Late-mid UC supremacy, before VSBRs and miniaturization of i-field generators and minovsky craft made everything less gloriously huge and tanky.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So in things unrelated to the literal crazy person who sees fascism in anything:

https://twitter.com/GwynCampbell/status/736005564740706304

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

I really like the dust canvases applied to the RX-79[G] in 8th MS Team when they're on the desert operation. Same thing for the joint covers on the Thunderbolt Mobile Suits. It seems rather obvious thing to do, but it's a nice touch to show them taking environmental wear into account.

Covered joints are really cool, it's one of the reasons I really like the Penelope. You know, aside from everything.

Darth Walrus posted:

Any cool little details in Gundam mech design you like?

It's less 'little details' and more 'design history', but I love the evolution of mobile suits in the Universal Century. Starting from mobile workers, MS design eventually evolved into more combat oriented roles, ending in the Zaku II, which reigned supreme until the Gundam came into place.

That started the arms war for designs with more armor to better withstand MS beam weaponry, which resulted in newer more powerful beam weapons to pierce that, spiraling out of control and resulting in gigantic MSes as things like ifields and minovsky craft got scaled down to MS level. Until eventually no armor could withstand stuff like VSBRs, which resulted in a super fast turnaround to tiny suits focused more on mobility. It feels like a logical endpoint to the technology curve, and I like that sort of stuff.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Monaghan posted:

I am sorta surprised how well unicorn and this song goes together.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5jnaextwrQ

Holy poo poo that's good.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

You guys can keep your hero routes, I'm taking the Kai route, which has the happiest ending after its rough start.

The IBO routes are weird, most of them seem to lead into you becoming female Naze.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

I really didn't like the Mobile Suit Gundam dub. I blame the direction because I know all those VAs from other series and I know they're good. But the MSG dub just felt so...soulless.
Zeta's dub was surprisingly good considering it was done by the Canadian B Team "Blue Water." Tragically it looks like most of the VAs haven't returned but at least Four's voice-actress still does her.

Weird, I'm kind of the opposite. The 0079 dub is just timeless to me, and the voices for Amuro, Bright, Kai, and Char are iconic to me for those characters, and I didn't like the replacements all that much.

Not to say I don't like the Zeta dub though, it's just not as timeless to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I like the Destiny a lot, personally, but I'll also be the first to admit that a big sword, an extending buckler, and wings of light will basically make me like any suit.